PHT Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Philip Lee

1. "Pros / Cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Good upward mobility - they're good about promoting from within

Cons

Disorganized structure between departments - needs better communication pathways

2. "ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has a lot of potential but communication is lacking. Coworkers are very nice. Flexible schedule

Cons

There is no onboarding process so everyone is left to sink or swim. It was much better before it was bought by ERT. The focus is more on the money than the customers and employees.

Advice to Management

Focus on professional development of your employees and hiring people that will complement your team

3. "Merged with ERT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible work day with ability to work from home as needed. Solid people.

Cons

Will promise movement to new challenging positions but it will not happen. Politics are rampant. Employees are becoming disengaged and no one is noticing.

Advice to Management

Pay the staff the market rate. You did a good job providing market increases last year but effectively cancelled it out this year with your poor promotion increases.

5. "Teaches much, returns little"

Former Employee - Product Senior Software Quality Engineer I in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Senior Software Quality Engineer I in Boston, MA

I worked at PHT Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a fantastic company if you are fresh out of college or looking to break into the software industry. They teach you a lot about software development, from both the technology and business side - invaluable experience for anyone.

Cons

The low level employees are fantastic, but hardly recognized. This is a sales driven company, and some team leads/managers push this reality to a fanatical level - working overtime, free time, weekends, holidays. Expect (on average) 60 hr workweeks, to get your tasks done.

Advice to Management

Value all employees, regardless of hierarchy.

6. "Five years in and things are steadily going better"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is fantastic and the senior management has gotten supremely better

Cons

Archaic systems still exist, although are being upgraded. Processes are still being improved.

Advice to Management

Keep emphasizing business systems to automate work and reduce errors.

"Dynamic growing business with a lot of potential"

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time

Pros

- exciting business space and industry - a lot of change and growth potential
    - small company feel, with a big impact on the space
    - generally positive work environment
    - management genuinely concerned with creating a good culture (fun holiday parties, birthday lunches with the CEO)
    - positive work-life balance (though varies by your dept/mgr)
    - work has a meaningful impact - helps bring new therapies to patients
    - very generous time off package (4 weeks + holiday shut down)
     - free parking and close to T

Cons

- some growing pains, as business increases and company tries to mature
    - serves a very conservative, risk-averse space that is highly-regulated - requires some getting used to
    - project-oriented environment where client deliverables can trump all else - requires a lot of flexibility
    - communication can still improve - some leaders are great at cascading down and across, while some struggle to tear down their silos
    - basic health and welfare benefits - not truly a con, but can be improved (and there seems to be an openness to review over time)

Advice to Management

There is a lot of energy around change and evolution of the business, which is undeniably needed to match pace with the growth. However, too much change at once can also be disruptive - employees can only absorb so much at once, without a serious blip in quality, and in our business quality is everything!

8. "Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PHT hasp very bright, intelligent, committed and motivated employees, Company cares about its employees as shown by the positive responses to the recent employee engagement survey. New products are well received by clients and client satisfaction is at an all time high. Kudo's to the Services Delivery Teams for excellent service to our customers. Company sales are at all time high driving new hiring and growth. Engineering team is best in the industry developing leading edge products with high quality. Recent company events like the Christmas party and the Summer outing were great for employees and their families.

Cons

Company has always put its customers first and sometimes that means putting in extra time to resolve issues. Not really a con in the long run as that drives happy customers.

Advice to Management

The recent summer hours and extended time off during Christmas is much appreciated. We need more conference rooms, but it looks like the expansion into the rest of the third floor will resolve that issue.

9. "Good changes are helping us move forward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for this company. Although admittedly there is some senior management who have been with the company for a very long time, there is a good balance of consistency/history and new developments with some of the organizational changes that have happened in the past year. A lot of positive changes have occurred and it seems like management is listening closely to employee concerns and taking many active steps towards improving company culture. I believe in what we do, we have a lot of high caliber people and everyone I work with is very dedicated to the company's and our customers' success.

Cons

I hear about conflicts remaining between some groups, but I don't have to deal with it directly. It's a challenge when some people have been around for a long time and are resistant to change or are stuck in a "we've always done it this way" mode, but I think that's the case anywhere.

Advice to Management

The recent initiatives and updates to benefits have been great, please keep it up!

"An OK place to work, could be better."

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time

Pros

Competent and pleasant people to work with.
    Most employees are true believers in what the company does, its mission, its ideals (though none will have much good to say about the state of the product).
    Company is unquestionably competent in its field; customers keep coming back for more.
    New generation of products under development.
    My sense is that some of the ills and baggage of the company are on the mend, and things are looking up.

Cons

Working 50 hours minimum per week is a stated expectation.
    ISO9000 + highly regulated industry creates constraints and slows down progress.
    No telecommuting policy; generally not allowed.
    Bad dynamics/distrust between some organizations (for no reason that I can see; perhaps historical baggage).
    Lots of inefficiencies; redundant, tedious, manual processes to make product and run business (but improving).

"Company doesn't value it's staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

I have been working at PHT Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PHT is the market leader in a small but growing segment supporting clinical studies. The work done by the staff is designed to help pharmaceutical companies get their drugs tested and, if successful, approved. This is interesting and valuable work.

Cons

Regardless of the many hours and extended effort put in by the staff, upper management sees no value in their contributions. Already overloaded team members are given additional work and are then blamed by senior management when the can't keep up with their workload. For senior team members there are no opportunities for advancement and the only way to be promoted without changing departments is to get another job offer and then take advantage of the counter proposal offered by management to keep you from leaving.

Advice to Management

This company does good work. Help the staff by truly improving process and forget about the band aids for a quick fix.

In addition to better leadership, PHT sorely needs a senior leader whose sole focus is operations. Having a COO or VP of Operations would allow that person to improve the infrastructure that touches so many other departments and impacts the company's ability to meet client deadlines and delight customers.