PTC Reviews | Glassdoor

PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann
Jim Heppelmann

1,075 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance has been made a priority as well, including the ability to work from home" (in 184 reviews)

• "Provides work from home option if you are individual contributor" (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "less Work life balance since lot of work and less competent team members" (in 43 reviews)

• "Un-directional upper management" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at PTC full-time

Pros

I have been working at PTC for two years. It's an exciting time to be here, with the company investing in new products (mostly IoT). Smart people, great life-work balance, very good perks and benefits (4 weeks vacation to start with, 2 floating holidays, 5 sick days). The company is moving the headquarters to Seaport in January, which the tech district of Boston. I can't wait to move to our new, modern space.

Great culture with social Thursdays to relax and mingle with other employees. Gym on site with many classes. We will have commuter benefits when we move to Seaport.
    I am very happy to work at PTC and to be a part of a great team!

Cons

We need to improve communication between departments which still are a little siloed.

Advice to Management

I hope there will be the flexibility to work from home when we move to Seaport.

2. "Engineer"

I have been working at PTC full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, good benefits, great manager

Cons

None that I can think of

3. "Couldn't love my #lifeatPTC more!"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Stability of large company
    - Feels like working at a startup
    - Great work/life balance
    - Huge growth opportunities because the company is growing so fast
    - BRAND NEW Seaport Office
    - Great management

Cons

none I can think of

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at PTC full-time

Pros

Good work , latest technologies

Cons

too many old employees in the company

5. "BEST place to work!!"

Current Employee - Director in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at PTC for a little over 5 years and I'm extremely proud to work here. My boss and coworkers are awesome which makes me want to come to work every day. Your encouraged to utilize your talents and creativity. The stock only continues to rise and I know we have a tremendous future. They are flexible and offer a good benefits. Definitely compensated fairly.

Cons

The only negative is the health plans that are offered.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PTC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people, AR is really cool. the new office is top-rated!

Cons

no investment in products marketing except AR and IoT.

Advice to Management

Good luck

"Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some passionate people that I still call friends, really great work-life balance, sales kick-off is cool, exciting to be part of the IoT and big data analytics movement, gym, stress was minimal

Cons

my time at PTC was extremely mediocre at best, no one cared much about my career development until the very end, had an engineering degree and yet my first manager spent our 1:1's talking about organizing my emails and asked me to take notes for him in meetings (think what he really wanted was a secretary), low-salary with minimal aka no raise or promotion opportunities (mind you I was uninspired there for obvious reasons and didn't deserve one :) but even those that did never got one) , too many people that have been there 20+ years and are just coasting, honestly depressing. Since leaving (11 months), I have doubled my salary, traveled to a bunch of cool places, have my voice heard/respected, have gotten 2 different significant bonuses, have many people both inside and outside of my org with interest in my career, can WFH anytime, and am working way more hours with some "stress" but couldn't be more thrilled/loving it. I am actually seeing myself develop and grow and it's freakin awesome.

Advice to Management

The politics are sickening now that I have another experience to compare it to. For example, when I worked at PTC I could not reach out to VPs, SVPs, even RSMs or Senior level product managers etc. directly. If I needed to, I would have to get it approved by manager and have them edit it or was asked to ghost write for someone. This halts so many things from getting done and is just pretty sad that you have to look at senior people as holier than thou. At my current company, I email all of those people daily and my manager does not have to be CC'ed and they answer like regular people do because guess what? they are REGULAR albeit successful people/ human beings just trying to do their jobs done well like anyone else and they are more than happy to collaborate with everyone. Because of this, everyone is able to be so much more impactful and strategic.

Also, if you aren't passionate, you gotta get the heck out so PTC can attract the talent it is looking for. Maybe the company will change with it's move to Seaport but MAN, that place/the people in it just sucks the soul right out of you. I imagine there are some great orgs within PTC that operate much differently (met lots of amazing people just as I was on my way out), but the org I was working under was so blah. On top of that I was made to feel dumb any time I had a question by one of my colleagues (who was supposed to be my mentor) in a really unprofessional manner which totally prevented me from learning/improving and then at some point even caring.

All I can say is wow I am glad I got the courage to leave and try something else. And as I am writing this, I originally gave PTC 3 stars (because I have faith other groups/teams provide a much better employee experience), but I gotta change it to 2 stars with the experience I personally had.

8. "Senior Software Development Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Wayne, PA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great manager and nice working environment

Cons

difficult to move between teams

9. "Not a bad company to work for"

Pros

- some dept have good people!
    - executives supporting changes that are beneficial
    - cool technology to work with
    - the company is doing well! All time high stock price, moving to the city

Cons

- very biased with their hiring, all their interns are somehow related to upper managers and executives
    - many dept have horrible people/managers
    - their recruiting team is very old fashioned. Very horrible at following up with candidates, and very undiversified hires, and again VERY HORRIBLE AT FOLLOWING UP WITH CANDIDATES

Advice to Management

Executives should create a culture which hiring managers communicate with recruiters so they are aware, and recruiting team should be more communicative and transparent with the candidates.

10. "Corporate Strategy Intern"

Pros

- Good for building powerpoint skills
    - Weekly presentations from established senior employees

Cons

- Not much oversight
    - Too much free time waiting for projects

Showing 1,075 of 1,138 reviews