PTC Reviews | Glassdoor

PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann
Jim Heppelmann

1,040 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance starting at 20 days PTO, most teams have some flexibility" (in 177 reviews)

• "Work from home, pretty good salary," (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • "less Work life balance since lot of work and less competent team members" (in 43 reviews)

• "Un-directional upper management" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at PTC full-time

Pros

I have been working at PTC for two years. It's an exciting time to be here, with the company investing in new products (mostly IoT). Smart people, great life-work balance, very good perks and benefits (4 weeks vacation to start with, 2 floating holidays, 5 sick days). The company is moving the headquarters to Seaport in January, which the tech district of Boston. I can't wait to move to our new, modern space.

Great culture with social Thursdays to relax and mingle with other employees. Gym on site with many classes. We will have commuter benefits when we move to Seaport.
    I am very happy to work at PTC and to be a part of a great team!

Cons

We need to improve communication between departments which still are a little siloed.

Advice to Management

I hope there will be the flexibility to work from home when we move to Seaport.

2. "Sr Dev"

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning, Using newest tools and languages, hot market segment. Good compensation. Grown-ups managing the place.

Cons

Big, can take inertia to get places career-wise internally.

3. "PTC is great!"

I have been working at PTC full-time

Pros

Fun environment, great benefits, collaborative team and coworkers, and everybody is dedicated to your success and development

Cons

Pay is low compared to other jobs in the field, but this could be based on location

4. "Director"

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great products, customers and employees; flexible work arrangements; excellent benefits

Cons

The pace of change can be stressful at times

5. "Lots of Positive Momentum"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Within 6 months of joining, have been given ability to make significant impact & been financially compensated for the good work
    - Management within my group has been extremely receptive to implementing new, innovative ideas
    - Very cool, differentiable technology
     - Benefits - 20 Days PTO + Holidays; stock purchase plan is very favorable; other benefits like Health, Retirement Savings are in line with industry standards

Cons

- Severe lack of definition around 'who owns what', which create tons of confusion and lots of wasted time simply figuring out how to get simple things done
    - Way too much time spent in meetings (unless you actively decline like myself)
    - Busy times i.e., end of quarter get very busy due to extreme focus on short term financial results

Advice to Management

Make internal alignment a FY19 priority - simple tasks consume too much time and will hold PTC back

6. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-It's exciting to have the chance to work for an industry leader in IOT.
    -Work-Life Balance
    -The company moving HQ to the Seaport is going to be a great move and Investment.
    -This company really cares about its employees

Cons

PTC is definitely a very fast paced environment.

"Good- with typical big company growing problems."

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good pay (if you negotiate when you start).
    -Great PTO policy. Depending on your department, they encourage you to take it.
    - Social Thursdays & family day
    -Tuition Reimbursement
    -Really smart, capable people who want to do well
    -Generous parental leave policy
    -Pretty good work/life balance

Cons

-No room for growth. Company is doing really well and growing rapidly but not investing in headcount. If you're a shared service, with every new acquisition, you get another full time job added to your plate.
    -Raises (other than 3% cost of living) are non-existent, even with a title change.
    -WFH policy is dependent on manager's discretion which usually means it doesn't exist.
    - Very political environment. Things that would happen overnight at a smaller company take months to happen because high level people throw a fit and it drags out for months.
    -The companies vision is for IoT to be engraved in every product. "IoT is PLM. IoT is CAD, etc" but then they force the IoT org to sit in a separate building and act as a totally different org. Sales, sales ops, marketing, IT, all separate. Nothing ever gets done, no one communicates, it's really hindering success at achieving that vision.

Advice to Management

-The CEO claims the move to seaport is meant to attract new, young talent from MIT and Harvard and get rid of a lot of the people who have been there a while and are not on board with the new vision. Unfortunately, the opposite is happening. The younger folks are leaving because the job market is so competitive and PTC isn't increasing salaries to match that of local seaport companies. Advice- stay competitive in your pay and offer career growth opportunities if you want to keep your employees.

8. "SW Developer"

I worked at PTC full-time

Pros

Good development environment, growing company.

Cons

They tend to fire people rather than taking people from one area of the company and retraining them for other growing areas.

"Could be great... if they practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Current management turned the company around. 10 years ago it nearly went out of business and now is dominating its markets.

Some (not all) of the products are really great.

R+D is trying to adopt many industry best practices.

Move to Seaport and focus on good working environment will be good for employees near the city.

Generous PTO and flexible working hours/telecommuting - though word is that flexibility will be taken away in Boston.

Cons

Where to begin?

Way below market pay.

Perks like RSUs that used to be given all hands now being redirected to senior managers.

I worked there 20+ years and went through at least 20 layoffs and more than 20 supervisor changes. There is ZERO job security, even when they make money they RIF good people, meanwhile the chosen few of Sr/D/EVP get rewarded with promotions 6 figure bonuses. Its hard to stay positive and motivated when you are in constant fear of loosing your livelihood.

All the focus on employees is just hollow talk. Your experience working there will depend on your direct management - some are good (a few even great), but many are just out for themselves, have no interpersonal skills, and push their people to the breaking point. "Go Faster" is the new mantra and they dont care that some talented people have nearly had nervous breakdowns trying to deliver.

Constant turnover and reorganization. Some really toxic upper managers who treat people like garbage. Management chases the latest shiny thing and keeps bringing in high priced consultants to tell them what to do next. New leaders every 2 years means as soon as we actually generate traction on a strategy we throw it out and start again.

They talk about 'working collaboratively' and 'driving grassroots change' in R&D, but the reality is everything is driven top down at the whim of senior leaders.

I left for a smaller firm that actually believes in its culture statement and could not be happier - should have moved 10 years ago.

Advice to Management

Stop paying lip service to "we care about the employees" and actually believe it/act on it. you have a good strategy and the rank and file *want* to make it work if you will just trust in them and treat them well.

10. "Company moving in right direction. Could do better in supporting Associate-level employees."

Current Employee - Associate in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work and company has exciting future moving to the Seaport district. We like to joke that PTC stands for "prepare to change," but in most positive of ways. The culture here is positive and the company benefits are on par with tech companies around the Boston-area (company-wide Social Thursdays with food & drinks, gym with midday yoga and HIIT classes, tuition credits, etc.). At the end of the day, it is incredibly motivating to be able to work on building the future landscape of AR & IoT with talented and inspiring peers.

Cons

Managers give lip treatment to professional development and in practice do not provide resources for our growth. I have had to go out of my way to seek support.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities and resources for younger folks at the company to grow within their roles. Managers give more support and opportunities to other managers, which makes it hard to see pathways for advancement.

Showing 1,040 of 1,099 reviews