PTC Reviews | Glassdoor

PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann
Jim Heppelmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • less Work life balance since lot of work and less competent team members (in 41 reviews)

• Communication from upper management is poor (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best choice I ever made was coming to PTC!"

Current Employee - Director in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to have impact, flexibility, competitive compensation, exciting technology, growth oriented mindset personally and professionally. Great company culture- Work hard play hard.

Cons

Can’t think of anything that’s super terrible or not common at other companies of similar age and size. Bureaucracy is much less of a problem than it was 3-5 years ago.

Advice to Management

Keep the transformation rolling!

2. "Customer Success Intern"

Former Employee - Customer Success Intern in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Intern in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC (More than a year)

Pros

PTC has a great intern program. During the 11 week internship, interns are able to truly contribute in a meaningful way. Lunch and learns held once a week feature members of upper management sharing invaluable career advice.

Cons

There are some slow days where it feels like the only point of showing up is to clock in.

"As Diverse As The Trump Administration"

Former Employee - Exc Team Member in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Exc Team Member in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like traffic, you will love working at Parametric, because its right in the heart of the cross roads of 128 jam land. This benefit allows you to catch up on your podcasts and binge on your fav Netflix seasons. Additionally if you don't want to be bothered with diversity and HR forcing you to consider these other candidates so you can get on with your digital transformation work. Moving to Boston is the another Pro, now you can turn your "Traffic Jam" up to 11.

Cons

The CEO has the personality of Napoleon and is a closet Axilla the Hun. Never look him in the eye or you will turn into stone or one of the Peaky Blinders will surely find you to give you a good old pink slip blanket party. His team is also passive aggressive, smiles and then beware of the nightly plans to assemble the gangsters.

Advice to Management

Hire some woman, not just Admins, Receptionist, Event Specialist and Demo Dolly's. The plan to place more executive woman looks good on paper, but you need to take action or you will end up like Dove and H&M. This is a real problem in motion. Also no one believes the CEO writes the Harvard Business Review. He has more ghost writers than Casper and they all look like him.

"Strategic Focus"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTC is highly focused on their move into IoT/VR/AR from more traditional Engineering Software products.

Cons

If you are not part of the strategic focus, there is little appreciation for your contributions.

Advice to Management

If the penalty for failure is significantly higher than the reward for success, you won't be able to get good people to take on tough, high risk efforts.

"If only our salaries were as good as (most) of people."

I worked at PTC (More than a year)

Pros

The people that were on my specific team are amazing. Smart, hardworking, funny, genuine human beings. I didn’t mind going to work everyday because I was surrounded by them and really did like (almost) everyone of them.

Cons

- Pay here is a joke. So below average, you will never get paid your worth unless you are an executive, unfairly ( in most cases undeserved) favored by a executive, or you go to another company.
    -Employees are undervalued, under appreciated and overworked.
    - HR is an even bigger joke than the pay. They didn’t even care enough to give me exit interview when I left. The only thing they are useful for is for throwing social Thursday’s and making sure we have drinks and food. They do not care about the employees do not let them fool you, they are for the executive team and paying everyone as little money as possible so they can say how much money they saved the company and get a pat on the back from the ceo.
    - Very, very, very political environment. Nothing gets accomplished or done because no one can agree on anything and once a decision is finally made 2 weeks later they change their mind and go back on the change. Communication between different organizations is terrible. So much time is wasted correcting mistakes made by employees of one organization because changes were not properly communicated.
    - The CEO is a complete narcissist ( He forced his 1,000 NA employees to wait in line to get his autograph on a copy of the Harvard business review when he didn’t even write it) and the worst public speaker I have ever seen. Some of his most thought provoking quotes regarding the move to the seaport are “Inertia is the enemy of change.” “You will not look like everyone else at the seaport.” Long story short he wants all the people that have been at PTC for more than 10 years to leave and he more or less said that to everyone right before our “top places to work by Boston Glove celebration”.

Advice to Management

Tell the CEO that in order to sign autographs you actually have to be famous and do something worthy of people getting your autograph. People who are all paid by you do not count as you being worthy enough to do so.

Also, pay your employees what they deserve and take a serious look into how corrupt HR is.

"Interesting work, great work-life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with cutting edge technology, an industry that's changing and evolving quickly, some very smart people, and a respected industry name.

The Needham office has LOTS of associated perks, including a pretty convenient location and ample parking. Not sure how that's going to go over when they move to the Seaport.

As a female in tech, I found that I received a lot of support, my ideas were welcome, encouraged, and I felt listened to, which was a GREAT experience.

Colleagues and environment were warm and welcoming, and there seemed to be a lot of respect for people's time outside of work. In my department, arriving at 9 and leaving at 5 wasn't frowned upon. We worked to meet deadlines but there wasn't an unhealthy race to who can stay the latest.

Cons

Constant restructuring and layoffs, lots of time wasting, especially in endless and redundant meetings, and the most incompetent HR personnel I've ever come across. The recruiting team is great, but once you're an employee, the HR team is unresponsive, absent-minded, and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Less meetings, more work. For employees whose jobs depend on DOING stuff (setting up events, producing marketing collateral, selling) getting stuck in 4-5 meetings per day is a giant time suck. A meeting without a goal and an agenda is an invitation to waste hours of employee time. If we are meeting, we aren't working. If six of eight hours of my day are spent in meetings or answering emails, I have two hours to do what you actually pay me to do. Force employees to limit meetings to no more than two a day, and no more than 45 minutes, and come prepared with an agenda and a role for everyone. If you don't contribute, you don't need to be there, and can be sent a memo to fill you in.

"Startup Mentality"

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright, progressive teammates and an effort to creative a positive work culture.

Cons

Long hours, mandatory overtime without the compensation to make aggressive deadlines.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees their market value and compensate them for the hours they put in

8. "Going places"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Needham, MA

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with exciting technology. Benefits are a plus too!

Cons

Lack of internal mobility; no clear direction of career growth

"Make a friend in high places"

Former Employee - Director Global Services in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Director Global Services in Needham, MA

I worked at PTC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to grow skills and assume greater responsibilities.
    Good flexibility to change roles within the Global Services organization, allowing for career advancement and development.

Cons

Little appreciation for employee effort or commitment. Across the board salary freezes were typical - every other year. Performance reviews were dictated by review boards that didn't consider or appreciate employee accomplishments.
    Upper management filled with people who never performed the roles that they supervise.
    You are valued most when overperforming at your grade level. Once you achieve a salary commensurate with the responsibilities expected of you, you are systematically downsized regardless of performance. I witnessed consultants and project managers receive awards for outstanding performance for all of North America, only to be laid off within months in the next cost cutting move. That is, of course, unless you hitch a ride to the correct chosen few. And the best way to do that is to be born into a family of a Sr. VP, Divisional VP, or executive. Nepotism is rampant. When the hiring manager tells you working here is like a family, they mean it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You can't argue with the stock price success. Just don't be so hypocritical about it and continue to present it as such a great place to work.

"Senior Software Technical Consultant"

I have been working at PTC full-time

Pros

Great pay and flexibility (work from home)

Cons

Work with proprietary technology which is not transferable to the market.

Advice to Management

Stop letting go of your top talent because of co-location "policies".