PacificSource Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Ken Provencher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Genuinely Good Company"

I have been working at PacificSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great; the intentions are good and the people truly want to help the members. This company makes more effort to appreciate their employees than any place else I have worked.

Cons

Are there annoying and draining people who work here? Of course there are...but that is going to happen in any workplace. Not every hire can be perfect but much effort is made to make this a solid place to work.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more day to day coaching from managers and team leads. More honest, open communication in the review process; believe it or not, most people want and need constructive feedback. Making sure ALL employees get a review. HR needs to be more effective in helping employees resolve issues rather than just siding with management while telling you, the underling, that you're misreading the situation. No title precludes you from being wrong and not all middle management folks are meant for upper management roles. That said, I think the new HR vice president is going to be a great change for the better.

"Sales and Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

I worked at PacificSource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits a pretty good.

Cons

If you aren't in a click be careful who you talk to. The sales department is full of people who don't care how they treat their coworkers as long as they get ahead.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are leaving and why they are leaving. People don't leave jobs.... they leave bosses. Hire people who are qualified for positions instead of who's friends with who.

"Make sure the Culture is a true fit for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

I worked at PacificSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community involvement, sense of team. Lots of varied tasks/projects to work on.

Cons

Growing pains, male dominated upper management. Overworked. Some of the longer-term employees/managers get away with whatever they want.

Advice to Management

Supervisor/manager training, hold managers accountable when entire teams are experiencing high turnover due to poor management skills.

"A good company with room to grow"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, OR

I have been working at PacificSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous benefits
    Rapidly Growing organization with a bright future
    Multiple opportunities for process improvement across the company
    Lots of interesting problems to dig into

Cons

Uneven distribution of workload within departments and teams
    Key employees overworked
    Currently adapting processes to scale to new business needs
    Historical technical debt from lack of documentation and hoarding of knowledge

Advice to Management

Take a more active role in helping employees grow
    Take a more active role in understanding what is going on within departments
    Focus on scaling processes to match growth targets

"Team leads are bullies"

I worked at PacificSource full-time

Pros

Community involvement, insurance benefits

Cons

My pets experience was that of dealing with a team who was a bully to his employees and management looked the other way. Several of us in our group went to management but nothing was done. I ended up leaving of my own choice but I would not recommend PS solely on the fact that employees are not empowered to alert upper management when there is true misconduct in place. My experience in the group I worked for was not the only instance of this as several co-workers in other groups experienced the same. Too bad as this company seems to want to do the right thing.
    Also, the pay scale is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they have legitimate concerns because people will only put up with it for so long before they decide to leave.

"Customer Service Medicare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at PacificSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free health insurance and not one other thing

Cons

Uneducated managers whose prior career paths do not support any management positions. Team leads and managers are hired without any education, without any desire to be educated and without any leadership skills. You are treated like a child, spoken down to and micromanaged in such a way that going to work everyday is challenging. Backstabbing is the norm, and when employees move from Bend to Boise, they are immediately promoted which bolsters their small minded horrendous work ethic, and unbelievably embarrassing, nonprofessional, clothing. If you think a job in this department is for you, attempt to remember that you will be treated disrespectfully, challenged on your ethics as a good person, and have to deal with women who cannot write nor speak in a professional manner. The employee is always treated like they are wrong and it does not matter that members treat you horrendously on the phone, and you are not allowed to stand up for yourself. You also will not every have any input on how to improve anything in this department. Also, if you complain you will get a corrective action and will be blackballed.

Advice to Management

When turnover is very high, management is usually at fault. You have overlooked this department for years and don't care when everyone walks away. Doesn't training all of these employees cost money? Money is wasted and could actually be saved on insurance premiums if management actually cared about the employees on this team.

May 31, 2017 – Public Relations and Advertising Manager

Thanks for the feedback. We’re very sorry to hear you had such a difficult experience during your time here with us. We constantly seek ways to improve our staff communications and leadership and... More

"Great CEO and Employees"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Springfield, OR

I have been working at PacificSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits including a generous vacation policy, amazing CEO that keeps employees informed of company strategy, growing company with new challenges to work on

Cons

Inter-departmental communication needs improvement, lots of employees are over-worked, management and job satisfaction varies greatly based on department/job title

Advice to Management

Follow the CEO's lead and improve communication between departments. Simplify product portfolio to gain efficiencies. Replace manual, paper-driven processes with robust online capabilities.

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Relations and Advertising Manager

Thanks for the feedback and the good advice!

"Good place to work"

Pros

Honest and hold their values
    Management is good and trying to do good for employees and customers with in their power and capacity

Cons

Proper process not in place. Adhoc planning.

Advice to Management

Management need to understand what is going on at the bottom of the company

Jan 9, 2017 – Public Relations and Advertising Manager

Thanks for sharing! We appreciate the insights and will share with the HR team.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at PacificSource full-time

Pros

Visibility- monthly company wide meetings with transparency on financials, goals, and achievements. Upper management are very easy to interact with.

Cons

Though some have left, there are still some people working there that do not fit the mission, and values. What's worse is that leadership has allowed it to go on this long. We no longer have time to deal with those that cause angst and drama.

Advice to Management

Listen to what's going on down on the floor, keep engaged.

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Relations and Advertising Manager

Listening to what is going on down on the floor is always good advice...thanks for the feedback!

10. "Overall a good place to work."

I worked at PacificSource (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, culture and people that care about doing the right thing. Large enough to be well diversified but small enough to still feel like a small company.

Cons

Growing pains but getting better at managing new lines of business. More patience and more open collaboration and innovation throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Work hard to find the right balance.

Dec 12, 2016 – Public Relations and Advertising Manager

Thanks for the feedback! More open collaboration, patience, and innovation are definitely goals we'll continue to prioritize as we grow and move forward.