Paper Magic Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Christopher J. Munyan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "This place feels like you're working in a black hole of dispair"

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Scranton, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product is definitely awesome to work with.

Cons

Hard work is not recognized and back stabbing is a frequent occurrence. There is no work life balance and more and more is expected job responsibility wise for less and less compensation. There is no employer to employee loyalty, no matter how good you are or how long you have worked there.

Advice to Management

Start over.

2. "Could be a great company if they would treat their employees like they are important"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool and fun product, lots of variety

Cons

Very poor treatment of employees, management unrealistic of employees, cut corners wherever they can (sometimes without client approval), you are a number and "can be replaced" (direct quote from a VP)

Advice to Management

Recognize the value your employees bring to the company and treat them fairly. Make it a fun environment to work. Upper management could use a refreshing dose of reality.

3. "Upper Management Change Needed"

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a growing business until the latest regime of management took over. The workers are the best thing here and are what keep this business afloat.

Cons

The ever changing rules and lack on real controls in place are assisting in the decline of this once thriving business.

Advice to Management

Need a new upper management team fast!

4. "PMG"

I have been working at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is OK to work

Cons

there is some BAD stuff

Advice to Management

More workers and less chiefs.

"The most misrepresented job position I have ever taken!"

Former Employee - Art Director in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Moosic, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Paper Magic works hard and goes the extra mile to do the best job that they can. They were friendly, funny, and kind. It was clear to me that there was a collection of individuals within the Creative, Production and Marketing departments that had the potential to be strong design leaders (given the chance) and were more than willing to put in whatever efforts might be needed to achieve those goal.

Cons

The Creative Department is being run by 2 Studio Managers that have no background or skills in design solutions. Although they run the department extremely efficiently regarding "shovelling the work from one place to the next", they do so without regard for the validity the basic work itself. They do not encourage their people to think for themselves; rather they make all creative decisions behind closed doors, and use their people as minions to implement their wishes. The result is the same tired, old stuff that's been coming out of that company for years. And the talented assistants are working with their hands tied behind their backs.

Advice to Management

With a strong background and years as a Creative Director, I was TOLD I was hired to bring in new ideas, help solve some of the basic up-front design problems that were ultimately effecting sales, and research new avenues to take a solid company in a wavering business. Instead I was relegated to being one of the minions who was to follow established procedure, discouraged from making any suggestions. Shut up and don't rock our boat. I was asked to leave after 7 weeks. One week after another Art Director left.
    This company needs to look deeply into the very front end of its process: the Initial Ideas and Trending it researches. It is no longer acceptable in this world to simply grab some old tired image and add glitter and foli to it. The retailers are under a gun to innovate, to compel their point-of-purchase buyer to buy, when they could have as easily sent an e-card. Until management realizes that the Creative Department needs a complete re-structuring, allowing the work to become more timely (and just as affordable), I fear sales will continue to drop off. And the culprit will be the simple fact that Paper Magic is creating the same boring old stuff they've been creating for seasons now.

6. "Hardworking, skilled, dependable applicant."

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the job of working with my customers, vendors and co-workers.

Cons

I love the challenge of solving problems when they occur.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the great experiences I have learn.

7. "Unethical, unprofessional, overall the worst employer I have ever encountered"

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Moosic, PA
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Moosic, PA

I worked at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly cannot think of one.

Cons

If you are not "in the family" you are getting no where.

Advice to Management

Close the doors in Moosic.

8. "Poorly run"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Paper Magic Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere and fun coworkers

Cons

Poor management, no company direction

9. "Okay"

Current Employee - Intern in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Scranton, PA

Pros

Good atmosphere and good people

Cons

At times a bit hectic and stressed environment

Advice to Management

Take time to give your employees feedback

10. "Most Unprofessional and Unethical Place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moosic, PA

I have been working at Paper Magic Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are more dedicated workers here than I have ever seen anywhere else. Many employees have worked 20 hours of overtime a week when needed.

Cons

Management is constantly changing the processes without getting the input of the people who actually do the work. There is no appreciation for the workers. Management promotes people not based on merit but by who they like and the annual reviews/raises are done the same way. There is very low morale and yet only certain people are picked out for having a bad attitude when in fact there is not a day goes by that I do not hear someone around me stating how much they dislike the place. There is also no job stability. Last year the company let go of 8+ people in one day and the company president said it was because they added no value to the company. Are you kidding me?! Who says that?! How is one supposed to have a good attitude with something like that being said?

Advice to Management

Wake up! Ask the employees their opinions and advice on how to make things better instead of treating us like lab rats. You know there is low morale. Instead of having mass lay offs maybe you should question the workers as to why everyone is so dissatisfied. Stop changing the processes without asking those who it affects. You keep making things worse.