Paradox Interactive Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2021

2.8
Paradox Interactive CEO Ebba Ljungerud
Ebba Ljungerud

"Wonderful place to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Game Designer

I worked at Paradox Interactive part-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team that truly cares about its employees.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Fakes being a good company doesn't pay well and doesn't care about games or dlc"

1.0
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No pros at all none

Cons

Horrible Ceo Market team is horrible always asks you to be in trailers Tries to put up a fake view to the community

Continue reading

"Need to Support Employees"

1.0
    Current Employee - Producer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time

Pros

Company is usually stable Good people Lot of different titles to work on

Cons

Low wages Doesn’t understand franchises it holds Managers won’t support you Support staff treated poorly Hard work not recognized

4. "I love it"

Current Employee - Concept Artist in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time

Pros

great culture, love the people!

Cons

not enough challenge to grow as an artist

5. "Safe, flexible job with good people on board"

5.0
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits, worker's union, flexible hours, many fun people, inclusiveness, overall nerdiness

Cons

Information flow and knowledge exchange in between teams could use improvement, the worst time reporting tool on the planet

6. "Great job, great culture, mediocre pay"

Former Employee - Programmer in Stockholm, Stockholm

I worked at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, games, nerdy, respectful, fun

Cons

Pay is low and company is getting more corporate

"Top-heavy organizational structure"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like in any company depending on luck, you can get assigned to a good team with a good manager.

Cons

The current company structure does not handle bad actors very well. If you have bad luck, you will overwork yourself, get less pay than your peers, and will be asked to do work several levels above your seniority level. Its a luck/chaotic organisation, and since the incentive managers have is to keep your work place engagement level high, people interpret that in their own way. Your highly subjected to what your manager wants/thinks engagement is. And your performance acessment will vary wildly from project to project. For a nordic/swedish style company that praises itself on having a more flat organisation, where each employee has power and can give open feedback. My experience tells me that this is not the truth at all. If you choose to enrol be careful who you associate with or what type of feedback you give, you will be used for purposes not known to you. The expectation is for employees to be open and honest, which is a good thing, but honesty from upper/mid management is not there.

"A good workplace with a few problems"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, everyone is friendly at the company and if you enjoy the grand strategy genre, you will have a lot of fun during the day.

Cons

Management has some problems with the direction they want the company to go it seems, making it a bit difficult to see how things will end up long term.

9. "Great place to learn, low salaries"

Former Employee - Data Analyst/Data Scientist

I worked at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with Evening games Great work-life balance

Cons

Relatively low salary Lack of transparency in direct management decision making

"Look Before You Leap"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At about 800 employees, Paradox is too big to take any one experience as universal. For example, several people working in the Development Studio talked about conditions improving just when things in Publishing (where I worked) got worse. In one of the 'good' parts, you can look forward to a stable job in small-to-medium sized teams where professional growth can happen quickly (compared to game companies of similar size), for a squarely average salary. If you're looking to enter the industry or to switch (e.g.) out of indie into bigger budget development, that can be a good deal. There's a clear push towards diversity from the top of the company. I'm the wrong person to say in how far it's successful. People who're more affected have described different outcomes to me. I'd recommend reaching out to one or two people that aren't part of the interview process, to get a second set of impressions about your specific place of work.

Cons

Paradox is in the middle of big changes. Two years ago, it was a ~400 person company that saw almost the full senior leadership team change within six months. Today it has doubled, and there's talk of matching EA and similar. This, plus a few legacy issues, can lead you in a difficult place: - Paradox has always run on lean teams. That didn't change while demands increased. The result was some people racking up hundreds of hours of overtime, while others just stopped. - Several members of the new leadership seemed to arrive with some disdain for the company they had just joined, and in a few cases, the idea of publishing video games altogether. In one instance, this led to a well-regarded 5+ year Paradox veteran being deployed into a support role while the same department put out ads for leads with no previous industry experience. You can imagine the impact on team morale. - Mid-level managers have traditionally complained about a lack of training at the company. With the change they were given more power, along with the task to communicate leadership decisions and -plans downward. This led to a lot of interdepartmental politics and micro-management of unevenly informed project teams. - Patronage and favouritism have been a long-time reality at Paradox. Efforts have been made to change that, but they didn't always take. If you see an internal job ad for an attractive senior position, wait and see whether one of your managers invites you to apply. It'll save you time and embarrassment. I respect everyone who decided to stick it out and see where the journey goes. But if you get the impression of such an environment in your interview, I would think twice before jumping in.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 English Reviews