Performance Development Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 27, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Manning

1. "Always getting better"

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been both a contractor and now employee with PDG for four years and I've watched the company grow and continually improve. As a contractor working for multiple clients, I found myself "holding out" and preferring to work with PDG due to their proven processes and talented team.

Cons

PDG is a small company and therefore employees feel the impact of even small changes to the business. However, because they're small, as an individual you have more opportunity to make an impact than you would at a larger company.

Advice to Management

Stay open to doing things differently and always consider how we can do things better. Continue investing time into training and building on employees' business acumen.

"Keith Forshew, the worst President in history of a company"

Pros

This company has good talent and is generally good except for one big thing, Keith Forshew

Cons

President Keith Forshew is a HUGE disaster. He creates politics between groups on purpose. He intentionally screws up projects that are on their way to success. He is quite possibly the worst President in history because he tries to do what he can to destroy the company. Some people have openly wondered if he works for our worst competitor :) Have to grant him one thing, he's exceptionally good at politicking and pleasing the board.

Advice to Management

Fire Forshew, a meme that I used to hear often when I was there

3. "PDG People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Performance Development Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

PDG attracts and hires the strongest performers and best go-getters, with knowledge and initiative! Our company leaders have stated time and again, that PDG is great because of our rock-star employees who without fail are the best in the business. If you want to work with the some of the nicest, most generous, caring, smart, effective, brilliant people in the training and development industry, consider joining us at PDG!

Cons

With all of our hard work and dedication, we forget to take breaks and really value the fact that great going in, is great coming out and vice versa. We all need to unplug sometimes to recharge our creative energy and boost our work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue recognizing our rising stars, PDG has begin to send out Weekly Wins from our President Keith Forshew and we are consistently making strides to build relationships to connect our contract employees to PDG as we do with our W2 employees. Our success is largely due to our ability to build strong relationships with our contractors and employees to provide impeccable service to our clients!

5. "Making great strides!"

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe PDG has passionate, intelligent, energetic, and hardworking professionals who take great pride in delivering exceptional client service to our clients. Our full-time client facing professionals are extremely dedicated and top-notch! Our clients love working with their PDG teams and this creates great opportunities for our employees to be stretched and grow in their roles.

Cons

Similar to all small companies, every bump in the road is hard felt. It takes some getting used to, but I believe leadership is continuously learning and always looking to make improvements to smooth things out.

Advice to Management

Continue to work hard to build additional client relationships to create more opportunities for our PDG team.

"Unethical and misleading hiring practices."

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good talented folks have worked at PDG. There are also some interesting projects in the works. But none of that makes up for the cons.

Cons

Poor regard for human capital. Hires people under false pretenses, huge turnover rates, represents themselves as more stable than they are. While I was there I saw way too many people thrown out like they were yesterday's garbage. Some of the employees I knew were solicited from good stable jobs only to be fired after a few months.

Advice to Management

Stop soliciting people under false pretenses. Stop being greedy. Be good, not evil.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Malvern, PA

Pros

On the first day on the job I met with both the president of the company and the managing partner of the company. Not only did I get to meet them, but I have also had the opportunity to have in depth conversations about my ideas and experiences since I've been working here. I've worked for another industry leading company, and I didn't have the chance to meet anyone past my director.

PDG is dedicated to hiring the best of the best. I have total confidence with everyone I work with. The management at PDG also recognizes hard work. If you go above and beyond, they will reward you with more than just a pat on the back.

They also like to promote within the company. In the six months I've been working for PDG, I've seen more than 5 people get a promotion. It's nice to know that there are options and room for growth in PDG.

Cons

Like any company, there are always room for improvements. My only con about PDG is that it currently is a little behind on using current technologies to improve training. However, management has recently taken steps to make sure that PDG is more innovative in the future.

Advice to Management

PDG has by far the best management I've every worked under. Please keep appreciating your employees and listening to their ideas.

"Seeing a lot of improvement"

I have been working at Performance Development Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PDG is growing. I like a lot of the recent changes. Every Tuesday, the president of the company sends a "Good News" email. It highlights all of the accomplishments from the past week - both big and small. There are also virtual coffee breaks with executives for employees to ask questions about the company or just get to know our leaders. I appreciate the open door policy and feel that it is genuine.

Cons

To work in the training outsourcing business, you have to be at the top of your game. This is not an easy industry but it can be exciting. I think that PDG has less challenges/cons than other companies in the same area. I have worked for 3 training vendors and I prefer this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to have conversations with all levels of employees in the company. This is giving you strong visibility to a lot of the successes on the front line. It also highlights any areas that need to be improved. You have great plans for developing critical roles this year (like project managers), please keep the momentum and priority.

"It starts at the top..."

Pros

PDG used to be able to pride itself on its employees, but so much talent has left (or been laid off), that there are a handful of people left who are legacy talent. The new ones (mostly contractors) are young, green, and have a lot of potential but are unproven. There's no infrastructure to get new employees trained so they learn by fire (and mostly get burned). Clients need to know that they are hiring mostly contractors who likely haven't worked for or with PDG before.

Cons

Senior leadership lacks deep understanding of the training business. They can sell projects and make promises but they have no idea what they're really selling because they don't come from the industry and they don't know what it takes to actually deliver. They overpromise and underdeliver, which is why so many people have left and why they struggle to grow.

Advice to Management

Stop saying "it's going to get better." Prove it. Learn the business. Value talent. Pay people what they're worth. Stop trying to grow the company to $100 Million and instead deliver value to your clients and earn your profitability that way. What is the vision and what are the values of PDG besides $100M and profitability? Wish I knew. Maybe it's time for a leadership overhaul.

"Highs and Lows"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Performance Development Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work remotely. Intelligent work culture. Focused on sharing information about new and exciting developments..

Cons

They hire too many people without analyzing the need for them. This creates scenarios where they bring people on for short periods of time and then abruptly let them go, many times, in a very short period of time. I was literally let go in week 15 of my assignment (so ineligible for unemployment) and told that the work they were expecting I would do did not materialize so they did not need me. I'm aware it happened to others. Not sure why they bothered to bring me on as an employee rather than an IC, but this is/was their model. I know someone who was interviewing there at the end of 2014 and the position was pulled and she was told there were layoffs.

Advice to Management

Figure out your hiring plan.

11. "great place to work"

Pros

PDG employees are like family. Employees are high performing experts in their field and while we work hard there is extreme satisfying reward such as achieving success with expert colleagues who are like family and on the financial side, significant incentive compensation as a reward for our work.

Cons

Can't think of any but the site makes me enter cons.

Advice to Management

I am proud to be a PDGer. Keep up the great work and when times get tough for employees, speak up. PDG leadership cares and will work to fix it.