Pindrop Reviews | Glassdoor

Pindrop CEO, CTO & Co-Founder Vijay A. Balasubramaniyan
Vijay A. Balasubramaniyan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Fast-paced, exciting environment full of the smartest people you've ever met"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pindrop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pindrop only hires the best, most experienced people, and it shows. Everything from quality of work, to random office discussions, there's a feeling of geek family and being around like minds. You will not be the smartest person in the room. It doesn't feel cliquish, and everyone seems to get along very well with an extremely low drama factor. The work is challenging and demanding but it is satisfying and feels like you have a real impact on product direction. There's also an emphasis on experience in the hiring process, which means it's a more career mature dev staff that has an enormous amount of past real-world experience. Everyone is absolutely stacked with skills, no matter what department they work in, they're probably among the best at what they do.

Several times I've seen the impossible get done, things I thought would never work, it is always pulled off. In fact, I've never seen it not work. Pindrop has an incredibly ability to get it done when the pressure is on. Timelines are short, 2015 is 20 years ago, 6 weeks is the new 6 months. Things change every day and that requires an open mind and embracing change.

Pindrop has Real Customers and an Actual Product that people use and are happy with. It's not without issues, but this isn't a moon-shot startup anymore, and the products are making the world a better place. Vijay is incredibly driven and its an honor to work under him and follow him to great things.

Cons

Communication suffers greatly at the mid level. Vijay does an outstanding job keeping everyone informed from the top with the frequent updates, with more transparency than I've ever seen. Team-level communication within a product family is generally pretty good and most have a decent grasp on what is going on and which general direction it is going in.

The struggle is between departments, and possibly at the top of each department down. Often, the major divisions of the Pindrop organization have little idea what the others are doing or what challenges they face. Members of one organization are not invited to participate in parts of another organization, which leads to a lot of: "throwing it over the fence", "that's their problem" and having someone hand you a grenade with no pin. This all creates resentment and it's not healthy in the long run. I like the other departments and what they do, I want to spend more time understanding it. We can all help each other out if we understand each other's struggles and motivation.

Requirements can often be vague. Process needs to be documented better and enforced to ensure consistency in the organization. It's not uncommon to be confused about what you're supposed to be doing as far as process goes. This is a common problem in a company growing so fast, and I'm pretty confident it will be worked out as Pindrop adjusts. The engineering staff was doubled within the last year and that takes some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Find some way to encourage, but not force, interdepartmental collaboration and information sharing, even if it's just social. Forcing it creates more resentment, and the last thing anyone wants is another meeting. Often it feels like several different companies and it creates some mild us vs them animosity and siloing. We're all part of the same team and we should all share the same problems, solutions, and vision. It's not their problem, its our problem. Communication is the biggest issue at Pindrop in my opinion, but communication is hard.

The one time I see consistently see departments co-mingling and sharing information is on the awesome Friday lunches. We're all sent to the same room to pick up our food at the same time, which hits the shuffle button. People sit down wherever they can find to chow down, and it creates a great mix of conversation. That kind of thing is really valuable to the organization. Sit down in the adjacent board room and eat some time and hear what people have to say, it's pretty awesome.

2. "One of the greatest engineering firms in the southeast"

I worked at Pindrop full-time

Pros

Easily the greatest, most motivated, and most brilliant group of people I've ever worked with. From the very top down, the drive and camaraderie is palpable. Working at Pindrop was like going to a top tier engineering university combined with a case study at a top tier business school. I can't say enough amazing things about Pindrop.

Cons

However, as previous reviews have stated, cross department communication can be difficult. In addition, the sweeping changes in quality assurance fostered inappropriate and unnecessary battles throughout engineering, as well as endangering the amazing efforts of Pindrop as a whole.

Advice to Management

Test Engineering is toxic.

3. "Great team, wonderful culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pindrop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent engineers, competitive and friendly
    Technology oriented, no BS culture
    Open to learn and experiment new things
    Useful product
    Good middle management
    Open communication, all-hands meetings keep the team informed and focused
    Great life-work balance
    Tea times!

Cons

Python tunnel vision
    Amount of politics is too high for a start-up
    Some decisions smell like based on personal agendas rather than the company's
    Which gives an ambiguity of direction
    401K match is a joke

Advice to Management

It is too early to become a corporate, keep the start-up spirit going. Keep reason above the politics and personal needs.

"Run Far Away"

Pros

Technology is interesting and cool but it’s complex and difficult to sell. Bagels provided on Monday’s and lunch provided every Friday.

Cons

Management team is one of the worst I have ever seen and this trickles down to the rest of the company. The CEO is not a leader, treats his employees horribly and has his board completely fooled.

Advice to Management

Learn to lead and communicate, the company depends on it. If you don’t, this startup will fail.

5. "Senior Solution Architect, Customer Success"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect

I have been working at Pindrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Pindrop, you get to interact with very intelligent people that are dedicated to catching Fraud. It's very rewarding to see the impact of your work literally results in making the world a better place !
    This is a fast paced environment where you get the chance to be exposed to a lot of different technologies and the opportunity to grow your skillset.

Cons

The company is very growth oriented and processes are being put into place. You will get a chance to build the processes as you go. If you are looking for a company where you just need to apply a recipe to make things work, this is not the place for you. You have to find creative ways to resolve issues which can be a deterrent for some but a factor of motivation for others.

"Cool technology, bad management"

I worked at Pindrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with like minded individuals who are highly skilled. You get to learn a lot from your peers.

Cons

Communication between departments suffers a lot. Management is sorely inexperienced and there's a tendency to indulge in blame games when things go awry rather than focusing on taking preemptive corrective actions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees rather than dismissing their views. The employees are the engine of the organization. Ignore them at your own peril.

"Successful startup"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pindrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pindrop attracts and retains top-tier talent. Anyone working there could easily get a job elsewhere; they stay because they want to be around other talented researchers and engineers. The stress level is pretty low, but people stay productive because the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

The company is making the right moves to ensure its long-term growth and success. That's not always pleasant. Pindrop is growing from a startup into a midsize, conservative company. The transparency is dropping. People who are viewed as underperforming are being abruptly let go. Departments and positions are becoming more rigidly defined.

"Financial Services Fraud Technology"

I worked at Pindrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology for 2016. There is far better tech that works a lot better than Pindrop. Customers are not renewing contracts.

Cons

Very bad leadership. They do not care about you or anyone else but themselves. I have seen them hire someone, he flies in to start his first day and they tell them they changed their minds. Trying to do to much to fast. A lot is being missed.

Advice to Management

Step back. Focus on getting what you have promised right. Treat everyone the same. Stop playing the blame game.

"Smart and committed company"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pindrop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- No bureaucracy, if you need something and you have a good argument you have it (and quickly).
    - People are genuinely smart and helpful.
    - Has about 300 employees, and I think combines the best of small and big companies.

Cons

Can not think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, be careful as companies, specially those which grow rapidly can get out of control.

10. "Big Potential"

I have been working at Pindrop full-time

Pros

Smart people, strong sales, great data, big potential for growth

Cons

Bad process, siloed teams, mixed-bag management

Advice to Management

Rational decision making and personal integrity are more valuable than pleasing your superiors