PsychoGenics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Emer Leahy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Rewarding Company with potential"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meaningful and rewarding research on HD, Parkinson's, ALS and other CNS disorders. Flexible work schedules, good work-life balance, some weekend work. Good benefits--matching 401k, holiday bonus and performance bonus. Nice, respectable coworkers.

Cons

Salary is fair for company size, but could be improved. At times workload imbalance between groups can be demotivating as some staff are very busy and others have nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Senior management can be more visible and communicate more often with employees about the company's performance and long term goals.

Nov 8, 2017

Thanks for your feedback. Employee satisfaction is very important to us we will address workload inequities with management and will try to communicate more often with our employees.

"Poorly managed company."

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

Opportunity to gain experience for positions in other companies

Cons

I'm pretty sure they violate a number of NYS Labor Laws but go unreported (forcing employees to work weekends, and holidays without compensation).
    Managers are poor, no collaborative environment, seems that most employees spend a majority of their time covering themselves than actually working.

Advice to Management

To upper-management: hold regularly scheduled employee reviews, hold middle-managers accountable, and be realistic with scheduling experiments (especially around the holidays).

"A raging dumpster fire of a company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They'll hire you right out of college, or with minimal experience.

If you're lucky enough to get trained, you'll learn some valuable skills.

Most non-managers are great people to work with.

Cons

No opportunities for professional growth. Pay is below average for the industry. Raises are small, infrequent, and often based on favoritism. Performance evaluations are given at random, unpredictable intervals.

Few individuals at this company appear to be happy, or have any interest in actually doing a good job. I don’t blame them--employees are never rewarded or even acknowledged for going the extra mile. In fact, you’ll do better to keep your head down and do the bare minimum required to skate by, lest you draw the ire of certain jealous and deceitful managers and coworkers who appear hell-bent on sabotaging anyone that might make them look bad.

Take your job description and burn it, along your intellectual curiosity and self-respect. Your real job is to do whatever impossible or poorly-explained task is assigned to you by your clueless manager. Prepare to be set up to fail in the most spectacular fashion imaginable. And don’t be surprised when your supervisor openly ridicules you (often in front of your coworkers) when you inevitably do. Professionalism isn’t a thing here.

This job will require collaboration, clear communication and careful adherence to SOPs. Which is too bad, because nobody wants to do any of these things. You will frequently be asked to perform tasks you were never trained to do. SOPs are often outdated or incomplete, resulting in confusion, inconsistent results, and just plain bad science.

Employee morale is extremely low and turnover is high. Managers are well aware of this, but do absolutely nothing to address it. Not once during my time here was I asked to provide feedback about this problem.

If you’re out of options and you have no choice but to accept a position here, be prepared for constant frustration and deep pain. If you’re lucky, you might become numb to it with time, but don’t get your hopes up. Learn what you can, and then go work for Big Pharma.

Advice to Management

Train your employees properly, then learn to trust them. If you don't trust them, train them until you do.

Be clear about roles and expectations from the start, then adhere to them. Don't bait-and-switch. Many RAs have been forced into roles that had nothing to do with their job descriptions.

Standardize titles and pay grades.

Ask your employees for feedback, and follow up to address their concerns. If virtually every employee has the same complaints about the same couple of managers over many years, maybe that's a sign that something is wrong.

Provide regular performance reviews, using the same standards every time. Be clear about what employees need to do to get raises and promotions.

Treat your researchers with respect. Be honest and direct.

Hire based on management ability and character, not just skills and experience.

"misery loves company, especially this one"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At least for me, it gave me just enough in vivo experience to qualify for other jobs. I liked my coworkers.

Cons

No upward mobility. Employees are labor, not scientists. If you have any scientific curiosity whatsoever, prepare for it to be squashed. Some group managers seem totally unqualified. Employees constantly applying for equivalent jobs at Regeneron (which shares a building).

Advice to Management

Actually engage with your staff.

Nov 8, 2017

Sorry this job did not meet your expectations. Perhaps you needed to give it some more time. In any case, thanks for your feedback and we will address your concerns with management.

"Working Here was an Extremely Unpleasant Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really are no pros here

Cons

This is a CRO so all the work is contracted by external companies. You will be providing "professional" labor. Don't expect to be doing science, you will just be doing what you are told to do. However, that's not really the problem. The main issue here is the work place atmosphere; you will be surrounded by unwelcoming, jealous, unprofessional and micromanaging people that do not care to form healthy working relationships. You will most likely not feel like a valued member of the team. Additionally there was a very high turnover rate; while I was working here numerous people were fired. Everybody is constantly afraid of getting fired. An overall depressing place to work.

Advice to Management

The managers have no idea what's going on. They have little interaction with new hires and in some cases it seems as if pre-existing employees are able to manipulate managers or play upon their favoritism.

Sep 11, 2017

As a CRO we do work for clients; however, we also perform internal research for many CNS indications. Sorry you did not have a pleasant experience in your more than 3 years of work at... More

"research associate I"

Pros

flexible schedule, decent people working there

Cons

lack of work, very low pay

Advice to Management

Do more to ensure well-being of employees

Jul 21, 2017

We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoy working with your colleagues and the flexible schedule. PsychoGenics cares greatly about the well being of its employees and suggests that you... More

7. "Research Associate"

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time

Pros

Good place to learn and develop skills.

Cons

RA's have no input to study design.

Jul 21, 2017

Thanks for your feedback. PsychoGenics is willing to hire graduates with little experience who are self motivated and eager to learn. This training and coaching has provided many staff the... More

"Senior Scientist"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company atmosphere that allows much growth in multiple aspects of contract research. A unique team composed of expertise ranging the the broad scope of CNS disorders. Hard work is always rewarded and there are ample opportunities for growth based on individual drive and accomplishments. Overall, this is a great company to work for that provides direct exposure to various CNS sectors and cutting edge research in both biotech and industry.

Cons

By the nature of the business, some periods of the year are more demanding than others.

"Seasoned Employee - Disheartened by Rude Post"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Finance & Administration in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Finance & Administration in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at PsychoGenics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a long term employee it is very disheartening to read a post that says the company is so bad. This is a great place to work. Myself along with many other seasoned employees have contributed to the growth of this company over the past 10+ years and are proud of it. There are many, many talented people here. Yes some have moved on, but many more have joined. There is opportunity for advancement which I myself have experienced. They are willing to train you if you are willing to learn. I think this is a case of big pharma employees not adjusting to a smaller fast paced environment. We wear many hats, so if your're looking for a participation trophy this is not the place for you.

Cons

I will not get into a back and forth banter, however do request that you speak on behalf of yourself, not others. If you are no longer here, and are so disgusted, then I'm sure you are no longer here for a reason. This is supposed to be a forum for informative, professional information. So leave the Honey's out. Perhaps you should focus this time and energy with your new employer.
    By the way.......this is not a fake post.

"Long time employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at PsychoGenics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great small company atmosphere, get to know everyone, ability for upward mobility, great flexibility in work schedule

Cons

weekend and holiday work on rotation, always busy