Qualtrics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Qualtrics CEO Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • All the usual Tech Company bonuses - great office space, plenty of swag, free food etc (in 50 reviews)

• The company is growing very quickly and is being very successful in the market (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Tons of growing pains which have been frustrating (in 21 reviews)

• Low pay compared to other saas companies in the area (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Solid Past and Bright Future"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, everyone you work with is very competent as the hiring bar is quite high. Company is always playing the long game, staying cash flow positive, and not getting caught in the common pitfalls most growing tech companies face.

Cons

In order to obtain promotion you have to be extremely outspoken and identify contributions and impacts being made. Passive employees can often get passed up or stuck at a level unless they advocate and make a lot of noise.

Advice to Management

Love the transparency and other company core values, and would encourage it to continue as the company grows globally.

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Catered Lunches. Nice Building. Steady Company.

Cons

Metrics can be difficult to keep up with. Hiring so fast that they have a lot of entry level churn.

"Account Manager"

I worked at Qualtrics full-time

Pros

Education opportunities, Laid back environment, Open access to all departments

Cons

Politics, definite favorites within the company, criteria for advancement wasn't uniform

Aug 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. One quick point of clarification - criteria for advancement is standard for all quota carrying sales roles based completely on quota attainment.

4. "Intense"

Pros

Lots of people who are very passionate about what they do... A company that tried to empower and grow their employees..

Cons

Bonuses are based on relative ranking.... Meaning with as many talented people as there are you have to sometimes be bit insane/lucky/overpowered, to stand out...

"Promoting from within is great until it isn't"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great learning experience

Cons

This will be from the lens of someone in sales (lower tier Account Executive):

What happens when you have success and you are really cheap? You promote from within. Make sure to label it as a ‘strength’ though versus a weakness. This is something Qualtrics has excelled at on multiple accounts.

Sometimes promoting from within can be great. If you are in a static market, it makes sense. There is little change in the everyday business and sales process. However, if you are in a startup environment where everything is constantly changing, you're setting yourself up for a bad time.

That bad time is in full effect right now. These homegrown legacy sales managers and region leads have no idea what or why the customers of today are purchasing Qualtrics (especially as it relates to SMB, Mid-). To sum it up, their mindset is outdated. This is more than a problem. These same individuals are the people who are doing ALL of the training.

I would love a competent leader from an outside organization to sit in on one of these sessions. I do not remember the last training that was well received. It’s comical at this point. This communication gap needs to be resolved.

Attrition is high. Not sorta high - I mean extremely high. Out of a group of 9 or 10 sales reps on my team from when I started, only two of the are left. Also, two of the most tenured reps in the company have also left in the last few months, too.

This is caused by many different factors, namely 1) account allocation 2) hiring too many quota carriers and 3) data in our CRM. The only individuals who hit are ones who either got really lucky with account allocation or the reps who have been here for eons and have great accounts.

While leadership says that they don’t care if attrition is high as long as their ‘best’ reps stay, that’s unproductive. The only way someone gets promoted is if they have a solid territory. The problem is that these territories are divided up arbitrarily. I've seen so much potential talent walk out that door because of unfair circumstances.

But wait, am I just making excuses? I don' know - ask the 75% of the software sales team that didn't hit their quota.

Advice to Management

As much as we preach transparency, every rep who has this problem is AFRAID to voice their concern. What is that? Is that transparency?

We talk about innovation a lot, too. Clayton Christensen is the one who famously noted that companies cannot innovate in their existing business model. And while it may be a stretch to draw this comparison, we're trying to that very thing in our existing business. How can you expect this legacy management team to keep managing effectively? Some of these people haven't sold in years.... Now think about what we sell now vs. then. It requires a MUCH different skillset. Again, please note that these individuals are conducting the sales training, too.

We desperately need team leads and regional directors from outside organizations - emphasis on desperate.

And I know what you're thinking, "but we're doing so well as a company." Sure, we are doing well. But, are we growing as fast as the market? Could we be growing faster? I'd argue 120% yes - we could do much better.

Our sales team is outdated - regardless of what Brian Schreier said. Look into this - don't ask your managers and directors who are stuck in this current paradigm either. Ask a third party who can give you an objective opinion.

"Impact + Opportunity make this place a lot of fun."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity: The opportunities are big for those who have a high motor and take ownership. This is not a place where management tells you what to do and how to do it. In my experience, its been the opposite. Leadership points us in the direction of where we need to be through their vision and my team and I get to decide how we want to get there. There are few places at this type of stage where you can have such ownership and impact on the business. There are a lot of neat and challenging projects to work on.

People: There are some very smart people here from a variety of backgrounds. I not only learn a lot but also feel a bit challenged to step up and match those around me that I feel are much stronger performers.

The company is very well positioned in the market. the sales team continues to generate a lot of new business to fund new R&D projects in engineering. It is well positioned for a long time to come.

Great benefits and perks. Free lunches catered in, arcade, ping pong tables, open floor plan and really good culture in Seattle.

Cons

Communication: Leadership does well communicating top level vision, middle managers outside of Ryan's directs (the next tier down) do a very poor job in sharing clearly. While we are radically transparent in many ways, there is a lot lost in telephone-game style communication as it flows downstream. I often have to go to an RStaff member to get information that my boss does not have or isn't in sync on. Cross office communication is poor. Provo folks do a poor job communicating effectively to the other offices. This is starting to shift as there are more employees outside of Provo now and is becoming less and less of a central hub.

No Paternity leave.

"Not a good place for your career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Qualtrics full-time

Pros

1. Office is relatively nice and there are snacks, 3 meals catered a week
    2. You can learn a lot of things here since you will have a lot of chances to build a product from scratch and be responsible for every aspect of it
    3. Work life balance varies from team to team

Cons

1. They want to be next google, but it is actually a sales-driven company. All they care is about making profit instead of doing thing the right way and infra is crappy.
    2. Employee compensation is below the industry average
    3. Cross team communication is difficult and documentation is POOR.
    4. Management doesn't actually value your opinion and interest.
    5. RSUs are negligible if you join now

Advice to Management

Lots of people are leaving despite the
     IPO and bright future you are trying to picture every other day. Value your employee's opinion and treat them better, otherwise no matter how aggressive you are hiring, talents are not coming.

Aug 9, 2017 – Executive

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for making time to share. Feedback is very important to us and we appreciate you noting the importance of listening to employees. To help us, we run regular... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food every day. Fun culture.

Cons

Especially in sales, there is an extreme lack of women in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Hire more women, more diversity

Jun 29, 2017

Appreciate the feedback! Diversity is a major global priority at Qualtrics and will continue to be a focus for us. Just this morning at an all-hands meeting, we were thrilled to announce that Lori... More

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall company to work for.

Cons

Poor management in the EE/360 department.

Advice to Management

Be more accessible to sales reps.

"Qualtrics Manipulates Glassdoor Reviews with Employees"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Provo, UT

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A kid job best staffed by recent college graduates. If you are a recent college graduate, and want to have your soul sucked out of you while always maintaining a smile and constantly publicly professing how awesome Qualtrics is, this is the job for you. Also, if you love to replace all 'K's and 'C's in your communications with 'Q's instead, this is also the right fit for you. If you love to work your tail end off with little to no recognition (financial or otherwise), this is the right job for you. If you love to always have the taste in your mouth that you are working very hard to make a couple of people very rich, this is the right job for you. If you love having constant change in management and senior management, with almost 100% of these "leaders" coming from outside of the company, this is the perfect job for you. If you like to be more knowledgeable about all things Qualtrics than your boss, this is the perfect job for you. Oh, and if you like skateboards, basketball courts, flat-billed hats, arrogance, and free cereal, then you should look no further than Qualtrics.

Cons

Hmm, where to start? Let's start with the fact that multiple employees are asked, often, to submit reviews to Glassdoor to "drown" out negative reviews. I have no doubt that this review will be followed by multiple super positive and happy posts about why Qualtrics is the best place on planet earth to work. Such manipulation and deceitfulness is par for the course at a company that claims to help other organizations solve employee engagement problems while having some of the most disengage employees I have ever met.

Key questions to consider when thinking about working at Qualtrics:

Why is turnover so extremely high at Qualtrics? Over a five year span, we are coming up on near 100% turnover...

Why is pay so low?

Why are there no real career progression opportunities?

Why is all senior leadership so arrogant, and why are they so inaccessible to employees?

Why are all leadership positions staffed with external hires?

Why does so much favoritism exist in a company that professes merit-based recognition?

Why have four executives left in the last four years?

Advice to Management

None. You stand to make a lot of money very soon. If your compensation is success, you will soon be very successful. Keep up the good work!