Qualtrics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Qualtrics CEO Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is growing quickly and is making big strides (in 24 reviews)

• All the usual Tech Company bonuses - great office space, plenty of swag, free food etc (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Tons of growing pains which have been frustrating (in 22 reviews)

• Low pay compared to other saas companies in the area (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Making an impact!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with some of the most intelligent, innovative and motivated people across all post-sales functions with a team spirit that I haven't experienced much before (can't speak for sales teams because of too little insight). The long hiring process pays off!

- Inspirational leaders that really do care about their staff (again, can't speak for sales management). Leadership focus very much on their team's development and personal trajectory whilst also staying laser focused on the company vision.

- All the usual tech company benefits such as free food all day round, lots of free/subsidised social activities (such as sports classes, weekends away, summer & christmas party etc.), open workspace, amazing city center location, private health insurance, stock options and more.

- High amount of responsibility and impact on department, company and own development.

- Connected to the above, high employee trajectory and quick career progression (if the job is for you and you're willing to give 200%).

- Transparency and visibility right to the C-Level. Frequent communications, town-halls and Q&As allow for everyone across any function to be super close to senior leadership and very well informed.

Cons

- Typical hyper-growth pains that any person who's striving for a strart-up environment would embrace, but for some it would be too uncomfortable. Examples are: Being understaffed or stretched for work-load, missing processes or malfunctioning processes that need developing or fixing, rapid and constant change, touch business or client challenges that need owning and resolving etc.

- For some functions still very dependent on the US head office which slows down progress or can account for additional challenges in cultural alignment with the European markets.

- Inflexible working conditions. No home office & no official flex time on start and end of working day.

Advice to Management

- Make sure you hire and develop more of the great mid-level leadership that is seen in post-sales departments.

- Continue to adapt to European work benefits and EMEA markets. We've come a very long way from two years ago, in my eyes this development must continue as one of the most important elements to making work at Qualtrics attractive and increasing the ease at which we work with local EMEA markets.

- Make sure you don't burn out your staff, especially those in junior roles who may not know their limits as well as more experienced employees. Promote the value of mental & social health more at work, just as you currently do with the fun sports and extra curricular activities.

Sep 5, 2017 – EMEA Chairman

Thanks for your feedback - it’s great to hear you’ve seen the development and growth over the last two years. I’m really proud of the people and the culture that we’ve got here and we’re always... More

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, opportunity, fun. Work-life balance is amazing too. Food is awesome. Perks are all there. Awesome entry-level sales job.

Cons

Lots of attrition, the higher ups will cash in at IPO... Not much for everyone else. Hard to advance fast. Can't transfer offices no matter what. Not great compensation compared to other jobs. Even in Utah...

Advice to Management

Better stock options, more fluidity from office to office.

3. "Accounts Receivable Specialist"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of company perks - free food, flexible hours, benefits, etc. fun culture

Cons

Everyone is from the same background (at least it feels like that), not much opportunity to network with people who have come from other jobs, companies, or careers

Advice to Management

Focus more on hiring people from different companies and recruiting from locations other than Utah/BYU

Sep 20, 2017 – Executive

We appreciate your feedback and are always working to improve and get better. To share some context regarding your advice to management, in 2016 alone Qualtrics relocated 160 new employees to the... More

4. "Client Success"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people who I work with - very driven and FUN! The company is growing quickly and is making big strides

Cons

Need to improve employee training

Sep 20, 2017 – Executive

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad to hear you're enjoying your employee experience at Qualtrics! To drive continuous improvement, we solicit regular feedback on trainings and iterate our programs... More

5. "Change. Zero Marketing for Sales, and Not for the faint of heart"

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always ahead of the competition and tech is second to none.

Cons

Not even close to enough marketing efforts to support such a large sales team. Be ready to cold call the first 2-3 years within a limited territory to have any chance of making commissions. Very low percentage of reps hit quota and those who do typically receive a lot of half-baked deals from the reps that resign. Survival of the fittest and tenure pays off. Magic amount of time to survive before finding success is about 2.5 to 3 years. if you make it that long, you're typically going to be just fine. Professional services team prices themselves out of more deals than they care to attempt to help the account executives win. Only 1 of roughly 25 deals presented to PS was on point and competitive with the other bids we were up against. Lots of missed revenue because of this.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing on the marketing team to generate leads because cold calling is what is causing so much turnover on your sales team. The product and target markets are too broad for ramp time and therefore burns out a lot of top talent.

6. "Recruiting Coordinator"

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time

Pros

-Great work environment
    -Growing company with lots of energy
    -Awesome benefits
    -Fun team
    -Work hard, play hard environment
    -Want you to bring your whole self to work, fun kids play area if they need to come
    -Great group of very intelligent people

Cons

-If you don't like fast-paced, that could be a con
    -There are so many amazing snacks it's hard to resist!

7. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Catered Lunches. Nice Building. Steady Company.

Cons

Metrics can be difficult to keep up with. Hiring so fast that they have a lot of entry level churn.

"Account Manager"

I worked at Qualtrics full-time

Pros

Education opportunities, Laid back environment, Open access to all departments

Cons

Politics, definite favorites within the company, criteria for advancement wasn't uniform

Aug 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. One quick point of clarification - criteria for advancement is standard for all quota carrying sales roles based completely on quota attainment.

"Promoting from within is great until it isn't"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great learning experience

Cons

This will be from the lens of someone in sales (lower tier Account Executive):

What happens when you have success and you are really cheap? You promote from within. Make sure to label it as a ‘strength’ though versus a weakness. This is something Qualtrics has excelled at on multiple accounts.

Sometimes promoting from within can be great. If you are in a static market, it makes sense. There is little change in the everyday business and sales process. However, if you are in a startup environment where everything is constantly changing, you're setting yourself up for a bad time.

That bad time is in full effect right now. These homegrown legacy sales managers and region leads have no idea what or why the customers of today are purchasing Qualtrics (especially as it relates to SMB, Mid-). To sum it up, their mindset is outdated. This is more than a problem. These same individuals are the people who are doing ALL of the training.

I would love a competent leader from an outside organization to sit in on one of these sessions. I do not remember the last training that was well received. It’s comical at this point. This communication gap needs to be resolved.

Attrition is high. Not sorta high - I mean extremely high. Out of a group of 9 or 10 sales reps on my team from when I started, only two of the are left. Also, two of the most tenured reps in the company have also left in the last few months, too.

This is caused by many different factors, namely 1) account allocation 2) hiring too many quota carriers and 3) data in our CRM. The only individuals who hit are ones who either got really lucky with account allocation or the reps who have been here for eons and have great accounts.

While leadership says that they don’t care if attrition is high as long as their ‘best’ reps stay, that’s unproductive. The only way someone gets promoted is if they have a solid territory. The problem is that these territories are divided up arbitrarily. I've seen so much potential talent walk out that door because of unfair circumstances.

But wait, am I just making excuses? I don' know - ask the 75% of the software sales team that didn't hit their quota.

Advice to Management

As much as we preach transparency, every rep who has this problem is AFRAID to voice their concern. What is that? Is that transparency?

We talk about innovation a lot, too. Clayton Christensen is the one who famously noted that companies cannot innovate in their existing business model. And while it may be a stretch to draw this comparison, we're trying to that very thing in our existing business. How can you expect this legacy management team to keep managing effectively? Some of these people haven't sold in years.... Now think about what we sell now vs. then. It requires a MUCH different skillset. Again, please note that these individuals are conducting the sales training, too.

We desperately need team leads and regional directors from outside organizations - emphasis on desperate.

And I know what you're thinking, "but we're doing so well as a company." Sure, we are doing well. But, are we growing as fast as the market? Could we be growing faster? I'd argue 120% yes - we could do much better.

Our sales team is outdated - regardless of what Brian Schreier said. Look into this - don't ask your managers and directors who are stuck in this current paradigm either. Ask a third party who can give you an objective opinion.

Aug 30, 2017 – Executive

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share. As the company continues to grow and evolve, so do our training, recruiting, and promotion processes. Over the past 12 months, we... More

"Major Employee Experience Gaps"

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Visionary Leadership- Senior Leadership has a great vision for it's future and aims high to achieve great things.

Health Insurance- it's excellent. Probably the best you can ask for.

Perks- lunch 3 times a week is nice to have. PTO is good.

Events-the marketing team does a good job with events.

Cons

Overall, the best sales opportunities are taken and the quality of the work/jobs are not very good. They've grown the sales team way too big, leaving low quality accounts for the rest. This makes it difficult to perform against a steeply increasing quota, so expectations are unrealistic given the accounts you typically have. Only 30% of reps are hitting quota each quarter, and a very few hit OTE. As a sales rep, you have to generate your own business with zero to very little help from supporting reps and marketing. (aka A LOT of cold calling and cold emails. If you're doing it as they expect, you'll prospect for several hours a day.) You sell highly priced enterprise-level products, so it’s hard to win deals against companies that have a better SMB offering. Turnover is extremely high because sales reps are dissatisfied. Qualtrics is largely unwilling to change many of its problems, so it continues to deal with high levels of dissatisfaction and turnover. They are pushing to hire as many people as possible to look better at IPO. I wonder what will happen once they do that. Unless you are coming in as an AE 4 or Enterprise rep, where you get better accounts, go elsewhere!

Salary- you will be underpaid. For B2B sales, especially a unicorn backed by big VC firms, the base pay is well below competitive levels. People are leaving because of this.

Poor Training- they are severely lacking in sales training. Qualtrics = difficult value/solution sell. If you are young and/or somewhat new to B2B sales, it will make it more difficult to find success. If you get lucky with a good manager though, that could help balance out the deficiency here.

Tools for success- As new sales rep you won't receive a laptop until you hit your quota. The nature of the sales job basically demands a laptop for success (meetings, client meetings/sales demo's in conference rooms, etc). Not having the tools to succeed is extremely frustrating.

SDR Role- this is an awful job. You literally mine contacts, cold call and cold email, all day. There is nothing fulfilling about this role. When you're promoted, you'll become an AE 1, where you'll get poor quality accounts that you can cold call into. They've improved the process of learning to become a more effective AE, but still the job is an unreasonable, unfulfilling grind.

Sales Ops- incompetent and ineffective. Poor data, account organization/distribution, and other failed initiatives, plus an unwillingness to fix the issues is what sales ops is known for. If the q would fix these problems, they would save sales reps 1-3 hours per day of wasted time.

Disorganization- it's highly disorganized. As fast as they've grown, some of these growing pains are understandable. But this badly needs fixing.

Marketing- you will have no support from them. It’s the black hole of Qualtrics. There is incompetence and an unwillingness to spend (except for on events, where they spend insane amounts of money). Inbound leads are almost unheard of. The coordination between marketing and sales is practically non-existent. Marketing doesn't know how to do effective lead and demand gen and the results show.

In summary, don’t work here. You will be miserable like the majority. The employee experience is severely lacking in many areas. Qualtrics needs to close the experience gap. (How’s that for radical candor?) Work for a company that will place you in a position where you will have the tools, support, and opportunity to be successful. Don’t fall for the hype.

Advice to Management

Close the employee experience gap.

Get organized. Provide better training.

Shrink, or at least stop growing the sales org. Fix account distribution issues.

Hire some competent people in marketing and sales ops. Fix these areas