Qualtrics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Qualtrics CEO Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company is growing like crazy and it's definitely an exciting place to be" (in 27 reviews)

• "great office perks like free food" (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains; team has been refactored 3x in 2 years" (in 26 reviews)

• "You have to manage your own work life balance" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Greatest place to work in the world"

Current Employee - Research Services in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Research Services in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love literally everything about this place. Free lunch practically every day, snacks everywhere, soft serve ice cream, and cookies on Fridays. Scooters, comfy couches, massage chairs, walking desks, and acres of beautiful gardens with strong WiFi to get work done in the shade of a tree. The benefits are unreal - 100% of health insurance premiums paid, 3% 401k contributions (even if you contribute $0), $2,500 a year into your HSA, 2 weeks of paternity leave, and $1,500 towards a vacation experience (on top of PTO).

Most importantly, it’s an easy product to get behind, I’m making an impact on the world, there aren’t useless meetings, no micromanaging, I’m surrounded by smart, positive, hard-working people, and I have FUN. I look forward to going to work every day.

Cons

The only downside is that as the company grows its slowly losing the fun, fast-paced, tech start-up feel. It’s starting to feel more like a large, bureaucratic, corporation. Nothing specific and nothing that can be avoided. It has to happen as the company grows. Just kind of a bummer.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome! It’s clear that you genuinely care about the employees and it makes an enormous difference. Thank you!

Jun 1, 2018 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for this review and thank you for the reminder. We do want to try to keep the start-up feel as much as possible. We are changing/growing but we do not plan to lose our culture of... More

2. "Really is amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people to work for and with.

Cons

Hardest job you may ever have

"No surprises, A good tech company with the classic tech company issues."

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great product and industry knowledge. Qualtrics is poised to continue to grow and play a huge part in the information space over the next 10 years.
    - Compensation, Benefits, 401(k) matching all are up to industry standards.
    - Descent opportunity for growth. You can probably consistently progress without a graduate degree for five or six years before you run into a brick wall. Which is pretty standard.
    - Standard tech perks like free food, foosball tables, company parties, swag etc.
    - At least in my role, generally in control of your work / life balance. You can work 80 weeks if you want, but there is no reason you can't succeed 8 to 5.

Cons

- The yearly conference that Qualtrics hosts can get a little out of hand. Mid-level managers don't sleep for a week or two in order to get everything done. As you can imagine that makes life fun for everyone. Despite having done this at scale for 4 or 5 years now, we can't seem to get it done without some serious fatigue.
    - Cross departmental communication about product updates can be frustrating. Code push cadence is unclear and while major changes are announced, lots of little "surprises" show up that can make sales, support, and operations scramble.
    - Increasingly bloated C-level. CEO and COO have a combined 20 direct reports.
    - The above is indicative of a manager culture that from the top-down discourages delegation and can have a tendency to encourage micromanagement.
    - C-level is increasingly vocal in partisian political causes.

Advice to Management

Stay pragmatic and focused on business outcomes. Qualtrics is a great company with a great future. The focus on political issues will only alienate a large portion of your employees. Despite the lip service given to "diversity," Qualtrics' hiring practices and internal culture are leading to a work force that is increasingly homogenous in thought and action.

Jul 2, 2018 – Talent Brand Manager

We appreciate your review. There is a lot in here to unpack and look into! This is very helpful! We look to these reviews to help us understand and validate specific situations at the company. We... More

"OK - Know what to use Qualtrics for, if you don't your career will be stagnated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you come from a consulting firm (Bain/McKinsey), Microsoft, or a big silicon valley firm they will love you. You need to have an MBA from Fuqua, Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, GSB, or HBS - or have come from one of the aforementioned companies to be in senior management. Everyone else is just filler. If you have that background, come to Qualtrics, you'll have it made

Cons

Waaaay oversell roles. If you get an offer, make sure you know EXACTLY what your role is.

Managers are ex-consultants. They're smart people (not as smart as they think they are), but they aren't people leaders. They are great individual contributors who think they know how to lead.

No yearly raises. You read that right - NO YEARLY RAISES - Not even to keep up with cost of living. You should assume whatever role you come into you are going to keep that salary for several years. The only way you get increased compensation is to promote, and there are set timelines around promotion - it doesn't matter what you do, only how long you have been in role.

Comp and benefits are pretty decent for Utah, but they don't compete with outside of Utah offers.

One person makes a huge difference in your hiring and promotion. If you have a champion here you'll get pushed forward very quickly. If you don't, or the executive over your branch doesn't love you, prepare to be in for the long haul.

There's a lot of focus on things that don't drive results (if you organize a team outing, or have a focus group on emergent issues etc). If you are willing to smile and be "customer obsessed" and "scrappy" Read: Panic when something goes wrong. Then you do well.

You advance much faster externally than you will internally. For example, if you want to be a manager (lvl 5 - ask about levels when you come in, that's what matters, not job title) the best route is to do 3 years at another company, then an MBA (or 2-3 years at one of their chosen companies) then come in as a manager. You will NEVER get there in that amount of time working your way up.

If you're looking for a job right out of college, this is a good one. Come in, get 3 years of experience under your belt, but DEFINITELY leave after that. There is only ONE non-sales manager who has been promoted to that level internally. Leverage the quick start they give you into a top tier MBA or a management role within another company.

Advice to Management

Don't fall in love with your hiring profile.

Get away from the rigid promotion process about timelines etc.

PLEASE stop overselling roles. It leads to unhappy employees and you genuinely hurt people's careers due to the opportunity cost of taking a job at Qualtrics. It's a great company, calm down with the overselling - you'll still get good people

Emphasize the value of stock in the offering, but the trajectory that is emphasized is not true. Qualtrics is operating in a vacuum where they think 7 years to manager is fast...

Jul 2, 2018 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. We certainly take these as valuable advice and are always looking to improve! Some of the above points are things we have taken seriously and are trying to correct. Our... More

5. "Scaling Issues"

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance (premiums are paid for)
    401k contribution (3%, no match necessary)
    Office amenities (gardens, massage chairs, catered food, snacks, basketball court)
    Beautiful location

Cons

Treatment of Employees: Employees are treated like numbers. Metrics for evaluating employees are centered around money. Employee evaluation metrics are increasing each quarter, though there is no evidence that workflows have become efficient enough to support this change. There is constantly a feeling of "you could have given more" and you are not often thanked for your hard work.

Career opportunities: There isn't a clear correlation between the work you put in and opportunities. Opportunities are given to you based on what benefits the company, not what benefits you.

Lack of work-life balance: There is pressure to work overtime and through lunch for all departments. 2-week paternity leave and 3-month maternity leave (1-month paid).

Transparency: Management is not transparent. Recruiters and managers pitch positions as something much better than they are. Promotions are promised, but no official date is given. And, even when a date may be given, they sometimes change their mind.

Scrappiness: This kind of culture is a result of poor internal processes and a lack of documentation of the product. So much time is spent looking for the one person who knows the answer to your question.

Churn: It's high due to the stressful and disorganized environment. I believe I have been at the company longer than 40%-50% of the staff and I have only been here a year and a half.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and stop pushing sales. Build internal systems such that employees are better equipped to do their job. It's time to get rid of the "scrappy" culture.

Don't lie about the nature of the job.

Re-evaluate how you estimate staffing needs and how you evaluate employees.

Praise those who work hard and do good work, whether they work 40 or 60 hours a week. Solely praising those who work overtime leads to a feeling of inadequacy for those who wish to have a personal life and burnout for all.

"Strong company, nice people"

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time

Pros

-Relatively high salary (compared to area, not to Facebook, Google, etc.)
    -One of the few "unicorns" that is cash-flow positive
    -Free catered lunches thrice a week (quality!)
    -Free cereal, snacks, and soda
    -Great engineering coworkers. Everyone is friendly and smart
    -Great pair of Founders - Charismatic marketing genius and a former Google PM who molded engineering in G's image
    -Beautiful building and grounds
    -Growth at a breakneck speed (pre-IPO)
    -Dogs

Cons

-Open office plan (if that bugs you)
    -Growing so fast it's hard for teams to keep pace without stepping on each others' toes. Code bases can get garbled.
    -Officially disallows work from home.
    -(Possibly pro, depending on who you are) Now that Qualtrics is large enough to attract media attention and rich enough to slide away from a true Meritocracy, they're hitting the Diversity initiatives hard.
    -Dogs

Advice to Management

I feel like I would be risking my career by saying that we should stick to the Meritocracy (it used to be in our values on the website then was mysteriously scrubbed . . .) and hire/promote whoever the most qualified is, regardless of gender, race, orientation, etc.

7. "T.A.C.O.S. is REAL!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know a lot of companies that say they are transparent, all-in, customer obsessed, one-team, and scrappy... Qualtrics means it! Until you experience it first hand there is not a good way to feel it... The reason this is so important is that it allows the employees at this company to be empowered to have control of their domain... try things... and move quickly to move forward. It is amazing to watch it work! Also you are surrounded by really smart people... everyone comes to the table with what they can bring and you do it all together!

Cons

Things do move fast so if this overwhelms you it might not be the best place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees the top priority. When employees believe in what they do you cannot loose.

8. "One of the best companies in the area, by far!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- We are growing extremely fast so there are tons of opportunities to join/form new teams
    - One of the best companies in the area by far, regarding benefits, culture, and pay
    - Big enough to have typical the "huge company" perks, but small enough to still be casual in a lot of ways

Cons

- We are growing extremely fast and most hires are fresh out of college so you spend a lot of time training new people (meaning there's generally not a lot of experience on any given team)
    - A lot of our newly hired senior engineering management are a lot more talk than walk and really should have been hired at much lower levels given their contributions

Advice to Management

Be more careful about hiring from outside. It seems a lot of the new hires from the top tech companies just jumped ships for a quick cash grab, knowing that they would never be promoted at their old companies.

Jul 2, 2018 – Talent Brand Manager

We appreciate your advice and candor. We look to this type of feedback to get detailed on improvements we can make to continue to evolve our great company.

9. "Qualtrics Product Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Provo, UT

I worked at Qualtrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, smart people.
    Good perks.
    Exciting growth.
    Good internal promotion opportunities.

Cons

Overworked client-facing employees--support team, client success, etc.
    Sales-centered.
    Seemed to have trouble deciding whether to be a custom software company or out-of-the-box software company.

Jul 2, 2018 – Talent Brand Manager

Fantastic feedback and review! We appreciate this type of review that is specific on the point of view and will cause us to assess to make changes to continually improve our company.

"Software Engineer II"

I have been working at Qualtrics full-time

Pros

Great collaborative culture with good management.

Cons

Company is becoming stingy in the name of scrappy