Quest Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Quest Software Chairman and CEO Jeff Hawn
Jeff Hawn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and flexibility (in 24 reviews)

• Good people to work with in all departments (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of cons but upper management decisions are hasty (in 12 reviews)

• We (Quest) were originally a standalone software company acquired by Dell back in 2012 to become part of Dell Software Group (in 5 reviews)

"Tough change in ownership from Dell to Private Equity"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Quest Software (Less than a year)

Pros

Products do what they are designed to do. (unfortunately, not all software companies can say this). Products solve real problems faced by IT operations. Many customers are loyal to the brand.

Cons

New private equity owners are driving out costs and starving innovation as a consequence. Development and marketing are slowly but surely being starved. Growth in new license sales is slowing. Maintenance renewals are keeping the company afloat.

Advice to Management

Growth is the only solution. You can't cost cut forever. Invest in the business or customers will eventually leave for competitors.

"Renewals Department"

Former Employee - Renewals Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Renewals Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Quest Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people
    relatively laid back
    pay is decent
    work life balance is good
    vacation time is great
    you are immediately fully vested in 401K

Cons

Lack of communication of direction of company
    management makes decisions that are questionable
    The new owners cut a lot of staff and the result was that inbound volume was far too heavy to keep up with - add to that they implemented Salesforce.com for the team and then asked us to fix it for them when it went badly. Requests like this we were typically informed took priority over the inbound requests that were already difficult to keep up with anyway.
    Management in this department is uninspiring, they are all pretty new to management, don't seem to know much about employee development or care about the employees too much in general.
    There isn't much sales enablement as you will be asked to tackle heavily administrative tasks that they should have a support team doing
    There isn't really a training program
    No real room for upward movement, in an ideal world you would go to a new licensing sales job, but they want to pay you less money overall to be "promoted" to that team
    You have a team quota with a large team. It is not ideal, it makes "commissions" seem very low, and it makes the quota feel insurmountable

Advice to Management

Stop asking people to do things that are going to waste time when they could be communicating with customers
    Think of ways to keep your people happy and stick around
    Too late now, but the WFR shouldn't have happened like that, it honestly took a positive work environment and made it miserable
    Team quota change was misguided, go back to individual quotas
    Fix the pay rate so that getting a promotion to sales is actually a promotion
    Less sales training that you are trying to force into the renewals model and more product training
    Clearly and concisely communicate with your employees about what is happening and about what the company policies are
    Enforce company policies evenly throughout at least the department, if not the whole company
    Take a look at the processes that you have in place and review them for efficiencies, there were A LOT of ways of doing things in this company that in my opinion added extra burden onto your employees, nothing was an easy task, everything is over-complicated.
    Try having a recruiting and HR presence on location? This seems like a no-brainer, it takes forever for you all to hire people and honestly, even a couple recruiters could make a difference all while focusing on keeping the work environment productive and relatively distraction free by hiring good quality hard-working candidates

3. "Good Company"

Pros

Open to remote work. Nice people and relatively laid back atmosphere.

Cons

When I was there, not enough attention to strategy and competitive differentiation.

Aug 25, 2017 – CHRO

We appreciate your insightful comments about competitive differentiation and this needs to be our ongoing focus.

I share your thoughts about the laid back atmosphere including our robust work... More

"Merging Pains and Lack of Transparency"

I worked at Quest Software full-time

Pros

Products are unique and solve real world IT problems. Every employee there got along like a family and worked with each other.

Cons

Zero transparency from management, merging Pains from the EMC deal saw waves of layoffs, many people were let go without a day of notice. Little to no opportunity for growth, most employees held their title for several years in the Reston office, (not in the Texas office however) shoddy management and lack of opportunity after layoffs.

Advice to Management

Be up-front and honest with your employees, understand the transition everyone is going through, don't name your product Vroom. Stop cutting cost and offer growth, invest in your employees.

"Avoid this company, being run into the ground"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Quest Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some decent front-line employees still work here, and some of the products are decent.

Cons

Management is the worst I've ever seen at any company or industry I've ever worked in. The company is falling apart from the inside-out.
    hey are highly unprofitable, which is amazing for a software company considering the margin on software. The investors that own Quest Software made a bad investment and are now scrambling to cut costs and try to fudge the numbers to make it look like Quest is profitable, but you can only cut costs and fire people to a certain extent, so this strategy is not going to work for long considering the enormous drop in sales after being divested from Dell.
    The remaining employees are dealing with pay cuts and purposely unattainable quotas. There is no strategy to dig Quest out from the deep hole it is in, management has an outdated mentality and no clue on how to fix the situation that they have created for themselves.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and hire younger, fresher minds who understand the software business in the 21st century. Also, why would you hire a criminal who massacred bison as your CEO? Insanity.

6. "One of my favorite employers!"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Quest Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my time at Quest. They have some great software products and have very competitive salary/commission plans. They encourage promoting from within, and I was promoted after a successful year in my sales position.

Cons

There were a couple of questionable people in upper management, but they are no longer at the company at this time.

Aug 25, 2017 – CHRO

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time at Quest and I wish you luck in your new role.

LuAnn Johnson
    Quest Software - CHRO

7. "Good environment"

Pros

Laid back environment for the most part. Good corporate culture, at least up until Dell split. Great corporate benefits and perks.

Cons

A lot of great talent had departed the company as part of restructuring.

Advice to Management

Better communication.

Aug 25, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Quest. I appreciate your advice about focusing on communications. There are so many changes that occur naturally following any type of corporate... More

"Regional Sales Manager"

Pros

Casual Dress, fun people to work with, low pay for software, but good starting point for software industry.

Cons

Had a manager that needed to be fired for bullying. Not surprised that he hasn't had a management position in several years after he left the company.

9. "It's an ok company to work for."

I have been working at Quest Software full-time

Pros

Provides good work life balance.

Cons

Average compensation, opportunities and technologies.

"Software Engineering Manager"

I worked at Quest Software full-time

Pros

Supportive of working remotely or from home when needed. There are some interesting projects as the company tries to reinvent itself.

Cons

Driven by finance, lots of offshoring. There are many products that way behind the industry