RadiSys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Bonson

Pros
  • Enjoy a great work & life balance with flexi hours (in 18 reviews)

• There is option to work from home when required (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Less Work life balance, or tend to work more (in 6 reviews)

• Since the entire R&D work happens from Bangalore, the onsite opportunities are relatively less (in 5 reviews)

1. "On the right path"

I have been working at RadiSys full-time

Pros

Motivated and focused Sr. leadership understands the opportunities in front of the company and urgency to take advantage of them. Lots of opportunity to have your voice heard at every level.

Cons

Facilities are somewhat boring but if that's the main reason you choose an employer it's probably not a smart plan.

Advice to Management

Build the image to match the potential

2. "Good place to work"

I worked at RadiSys full-time

Pros

Small company with strong presence in the Media Resource Function domain.
    Good learning opportunities for freshers and laterals alike.

Cons

Very slow career growth rate as all higher positions are normally filled.
    There are not many product lines or domains to explore in the long run.

Advice to Management

Facilities provided in the office is good.
    Suggesting to change the location of the Bangalore office considering the traffic situation in the area.

3. "Engineer"

I have been working at RadiSys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture and colleagues are the pros

Cons

compensation can improve along with benefits

5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, friendly environment, work from home

Cons

no office transport, late night meeting requests

6. "Good place, good team, tough business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented and hard working work force, as well as management team!

Cons

Business segment is hard to compete and low-margin.

Advice to Management

Re-invent Radisys and invest in software more. Move to Cloud computing and data center software offerings.

"Crackers"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company picnics and outings, stock options, decent pay and benefits, helpful coworkers, matched 401k, It's cheaper in the suburbs of Portland, company-paid education, paid for travel and overnight for interview, seems like a good deal if you like the working conditions and you can survive

Cons

There's about two I can list, I didn't have time for more, almost literally. I was fired after just three months. My manager called it "productivity" but he was saying I needed to get my productivity up after being there just two months. There wasn't any mention in the interview that it was expected the new person would work like 60 hours. My manager bragged about how he worked from 6:00am to 7:00pm in telling me I needed to increase my productivity. But he also made it clear in a couple of meetings that he had no idea what skills a tech. writer brought to documentation: he wanted to say what goes into a doc and I magically make people able to read instructions for multiple procedures mashed into one doc; he didn't want to hear me say the best way was to create several separate docs to keep things clear. He also complained about the lack of quality in a doc prepared quickly with minimal SME input, and it was apparent he didn't know what was in it, he just decided that it wasn't right or good enough.

There's also an amazing lack of communication between some groups, or at least this manager and other people. He had some weird argument with my lead (who he did not manage) that looked like they were brother and sister or something. He also said I should treat whatever the lead said as what he was saying, but my lead said I was doing good work and enough of it and then I was fired.

I'm assuming that manager had been laying the groundwork for firing me and had decided to let me go after just a few weeks. It seems likely the company (or the manager) decided it was too expensive to keep the position in the U.S. I noticed shortly after I was out that there was no tech. writing position opened to fill the opening I left, but a tech. writer position opened with the company in their India subsidiary.

Advice to Management

I can assume there's a die-hard, workaholic theme I didn't catch in time and wasn't able to match, so I guess I'd suggest explaining that a little more, at least in the interviews. I had a fair amount of panic and paranoia about doing enough and getting the hang of the work and the people in just the first few weeks. At least those impressions weren't wrong, but it would've given me a shot to know you have to come outta the blocks fast; the job's a sprint, not a marathon. Better communication, not just more, 'cause there was plenty of talking. The manager just said, "more productivity" without specifying what or how much. And my lead was telling me I was doing good work right up until I was fired.

"Management can't make up their minds"

Pros

Team members and lower level management were great. Some of the hardest working and friendly people I have worked with.

Cons

The management kept changing priorities. Much of my work there ended up going to waste with the change in focus of the company.

Advice to Management

Really I don't have a lot to say. The company has been slowly failing for years and will likely continue to do so.

9. "Cut throat environment - trust non-existent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great heritage - long term employees built a product set and engineering dept that were unbeatable. Good autonomy to make decisions as individuals and managers.

Cons

Extremely cutthroat environment. Individuals and execs rise and fall quickly and dramatically, producing a temporary "Christ syndrome" whenever new leadership comes into the company. Execs talk openly about their disdain for one another, meetings are brutal in terms of how they treat each other and no employee is safe from emotional swings and elimination. I discourage anyone I know from applying or accepting a position at Radisys.

Advice to Management

More to the Board: start over with the exec team and watch that compensation is not only in favor of the VP's. Super high comp to execs and negligible bonuses to the masses cause resentment as well as driving a very short term focus and therefore, poor decisions. For example, the CEO will force cuts that will result in loss of business in order to achieve 1-2 positive quarters and his associated bonus. Radisys has been circling the drain for years. Pull the plug or change the players at the top.

10. "Great team, promising strategy/focus"

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Speedy decision making, great team and relevant core competencies. Renewed market/segment strategy and focus

Cons

Difficult market, need for rapid transition to new business models/segments

Advice to Management

Continued focus on select strategic segments

"Frequent restructuring, low morale"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at RadiSys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technologies, smart engineers. I gained useful experience, but in retrospect it was very stressful to my health and well-being. Pay started out good, but changes were made that didn't benefit employees. Now that I work somewhere else, I see how much better things can be elsewhere.

Cons

Low morale. Frequent restructuring. Culture is poor due to low morale and high stress. Employees are so overworked dealing with issues that they have very little time to collaborate or help each other. Futile chances for promotions or advancement, unless you count taking on extra work from laid off employees. Most of the company is outsourced to Asia, so expect odd working hours. Quality issues caused turmoil and upset customers. At one point the CEO's mantra was "every penny counts" - not joking.

Advice to Management

Focus on the technical vision, the customers, and the employees. Please understand that the working environment was very stressful with low morale for an extended period of time and it will take extra effort to regain trust and improve working conditions.