Red Hat Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Red Hat President and CEO Jim Whitehurst
Jim Whitehurst

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance and openness to remote work" (in 92 reviews)

• "Big picture Open Source - anderer Weg mit klarer Abgrenzung vom restlichen Softwaremarkt - intrinsische Motivation f" (in 256 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work-life balance is a little bit of a problem for people working in technical Support" (in 30 reviews)

• "Engineering and Open Source centric" (in 72 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, the sheer amount of stuff available to learn and do while working here is staggering, not only within your own team but outside as well . Red Hat is about culture, the culture fit is as important as the job fit. If you fit the culture, you'll thrive. If not, you will not last long.

Cons

Being a remote employee at Red Hat can be a very lonely experience Sometimes it doesn't even feel like you work for the company, just that you exist as a person who does things and gets paid..

Advice to Management

With the IBM acquisition there is a real fear of the Red Hat culture dying. Protect it!

2. "Great experience"

I worked at Red Hat part-time

Pros

Free snacks, friendly atmosphere, and helpful coworkers

Cons

Needed a lot of guidance as an inexperienced intern and didn't want to constantly bother everyone

"Good company but not the same old Red Hat"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, talented and helpful people for the most part. Good corporate partners.

Cons

Wall street is killing the culture. Below average salaries with increasing demands. New management hires trying to change the culture. Low life balance if you get the wrong manager.

Advice to Management

Most people working are Red Hat have been loyal for a long time. If you don't keep the culture and care about your people the merge is going to make Red Hat dissapear and people will leave.

"Best Employer in the IT business"

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits, etc. Basically, all of the table stakes are covered well, but the real benefits to working here revolve around flexibility. I work in Sales, so there is really only one performance indicator they pay attention to... your quota. If you make that consistently, it's almost like working for yourself. Plan your own meetings, time off, speaking engagements, etc.
    In addition, the culture is very upbeat and collaborative. Most co-workers I've encountered fall over themselves trying to help you and I do the same in return. This has resulted in a very fulfilling experience personally and professionally.

Cons

A bit disorganized. It's difficult to find collateral to do my job. For example, if I want to study/know/present everything about product X, I have to scour the internal Red Hat universe. Not because there is no material, but because there is too much material and its spread all over the place

Advice to Management

the IBM acq... protect your culture to retain your talent. Remember, many RH employees are here specifically because of your culture. Lose that, lose us.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart peers, Innovative Work, Good Work/Life Balance

Cons

No Cons in my opinion

"A fabulous culture that is in peril"

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

The culture
    The people
    The work/life balance
    The commitment to open source

Cons

IBM is buying Red Hat and there is a real possibility that the Red Hat culture cannot survive when a company of 12-13,000 is acquired by a 300,000 juggernaut. Many long-timers are already looking for lifeboats.

Advice to Management

You get one chance to do this acquisition right, and you are up against insane odds. I'm rooting for you.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Red Hat is a great place to work. You can say what you need to mostly without issues, and you get to work on projects you like, as well as taking charge of your own career

Cons

Fast pace with lots of change. I like it, but some can feel it's stressful to always change

Advice to Management

Management is generally good. I'm happy to have the top management we have

"Observations 6 months in ..."

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to learn and work with open source solutions across the full stack. Ability to "build a brand" for yourself if you can get connected with the right groups and individuals early on. Company historically has a good reputation within the technical community which helps add weight and credibility to your own interactions and work.

Cons

Salaries lower, not in line with market. Remote workers - though necessary - are often isolated. IBM acquisition uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Address pay scale to align with market and attract the right talent.

Provide guidance to management for bringing geographically dispersed teams together more often. Should be measured as part of their performance.

Provide clearer messaging around IBM acquisition else others will fill in "the gaps" with information that is not helpful which may result in the loss of key contributors. Transparency and honesty. Not fairy tales.

9. "Fantastic culture, fantastic team."

Current Employee - Optimization Program Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Optimization Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat (More than 5 years)

Pros

A work force that believes in what the company does, spurring great passion and commitment.

Cons

Not one at the moment.

"Disappointing maternity leave"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OK work-life balance, nice location, cafeteria on-site, parking paid for, quarterly bonuses are nice

Cons

Maternity leave could use another look in light of being far behind other leading tech companies. Maternity leave is not included in the pre-interview benefits listing, which forces you to ask an uncomfortable question during the interview process. Fathers get 9 weeks and birthing mothers get just a few more at 12. If you are a man/soon to be father: Red Hat is ahead of the curve and very competitive. If you are a woman/soon to be mother: Red Hat is way behind other tech companies and you might consider your options if you are planning to have children.

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider re-evaluating your maternity leave policy, and also include maternity leave on your public benefits list. When I was interviewing last fall maternity leave was conveniently left out of the benefits list, and I wasn't about to ask about maternity leave during the process.