Red Hat Reviews

4.1
Red Hat CEO Paul Cormier
Paul Cormier
Pros
Cons
  • "Sometimes work-life balance affects as needs overlapping hours with US(in 35 reviews)

• "Rapid growth means growing pains with some internal processes(in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

- fast paced, dynamic company that is growing 15+% every year - unique culture that values freedom, courage, accountability and collaboration

Cons

- quickly growing company, now navigating through IBM acquisition has lead to uncertainty and increased workload

2. "Red Hat is still a force for good in the tech space"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, pay and workplace amenities are great. They are committed to the growth of their associates, and the company has a benevolent presence in its community. Associates are also encouraged to discuss hard topics (pay, representation, management decision making, etc.) freely. Finally, depending on your project, you will have access to some pretty cutting edge tech. Red Hat products underpin a large sloth of other enterprise technologies.

Cons

If I could nag for one thing it would be access to stock options earlier in the Red Hat career path. Aside from this, if you are a software developer, the usual pitfalls will still apply, i.e., work life can be hard to manage at times especially for remote workers, there is a political aspect to your work (what gets adopted, what doesn't and why) that you have to adapt to, and there are physical strains from stationary working over long periods. That considered, I am confident that Red Hat is one of the best places to work for techies.

3. "Very good"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture is amazing and meritocratic

Cons

Growth is slow if you're in the wrong team

4. COVID-19

"Easily the Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Acquisition Account Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly? There are too many to list here. Red Hat is a one-of-a-kind organization. Period. And it's an honor to be a part of their tremendous growth. Perks/Compensation: On a basic employee level, the compensation is significantly higher than any other organization around. The benefits are everything you could hope for, and they are constantly asking us, the associates, for feedback and other ways to improve. Culture: The OpenSource culture they foster here is amazing and fosters a sense of camaraderie, transparency, and togetherness. This is reflected even within the sales organization, where the sales team mentality is "win-as-one" without the typical corporate cutthroat, hierarchical/competitive sales culture. And if you ever need help, there's no end of colleagues willing to assist you. Work/Life balance: Everyone is working from home right now for the foreseeable future, but most Account Executives before the pandemic were remote and frequently traveling for customer meetings. Although at the higher levels of the sales structure you'll see a lot of traveling, Red Hat has always been committed to telling us "family/personal life first, work second". You can see that evidenced in their recent "recharge days", where they have given almost ever associate a random day off, just to help with mental health and general wellness during these trying times. Goals/Mission: We have high goals and standards, but we are given all of the tools to meet them. And there's a TON of upward/cross mobility here--if you are looking for a career and a place to grow as a professional, this is where you belong. Upper management has the mission to increase our size by x3 within the next few years, so I'm betting there's going to be a ton of changes but a plan of action that will absolutely get us there. Senior Leadership: Red Hat's senior leadership is virtually flawless. Their response to COVID has been one of the most humane and comforting out of any organization I've heard to date. They are transparent as possible and I truly trust their direction and decisionmaking. TLDR; As things stand, I will be a lifelong Red Hat employee because of the ways I have been treated in this organization.

Cons

It can be stressful at times with high goals and high quotas, especially during a recession/pandemic, but the way the company has handled these changes and offered enormous help will make me a lifelong employee and advocate. Management can be stressed at times and sometimes they can reflect that stress in team meetings, but in my experience, they are quick and willing to engage in a useful dialog to remedy the situation. My manager has even apologized for cursing at me at one point and has been proactive to change that method of dialog.

Continue reading
  5. "A company that sticks to its values and cares about its employees."

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People First - Talented Workforce - Interesting Work

Cons

None, Red Hat is a great place to work

6. "Good Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture and friendly colleagues

Cons

Not well-managed upper-managment and sometimes developers end up managing their own tasks

7. "This is an amazing company with great culture."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Would recommend to anyone looking for a great company.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Red Hat.

8. "Loved it"

Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Engaging work and people that are happy to be there

Cons

You have to learn and gear up on your own

9. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager - Technical in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of freedom, smart and mature people and teams, great leadership.

Cons

Since there's a lot of freedom and the company is big, there can be chaos, but it's always for the best (in my experience).

10. "Good pay, consulting was a mess"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good snacks, little oversight. First 6 months I didn't have any assignments and just took free online certification courses.

Cons

They charged their clients a senior consultant rate for us and pocketed the difference. Clients were often not ready for implementation when we got there, a lot of sitting around waiting for clients to get the necessary authorization to install software.

Found 1498 reviews