RetailMeNot Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
RetailMeNot CEO Cotter Cunningham
Cotter Cunningham

Pros
  • Seriously relaxed environment with best work-life balance I've known (in 10 reviews)

• Free lunch 4 days/wk, coffee bar, free breakfast on mondays, cool workspace & gadgets in the office, work from home (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The most you will get is a thank you email after putting in long hours over the weekend (in 7 reviews)

• Felt like the career path was limited (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Honestly... my best job so far"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a TON of benefits. The main one is that the company REALLY cares about their employees. If you get an offer, you can find out about all of them, but I've been extremely happy working here for almost a year now. The people are great too. Some of the best and brightest work for this company. There is a bit of variance depending on which team you work with, but I got really lucky and get along really well with everyone I work with. I consider everyone a friend and we all learn from each other.

Cons

There are always a few bad seeds in each group, but that's normal. However, I honestly can't complain. Working downtown can be a hassle for some that drive and parking is pretty far if you do. However, I suggest public transportation or biking to work. Takes me 10 minutes on a bicycle, but if I parked in the company garage that is 10 minutes away walking, it would take me 25 minutes to get to work.

Advice to Management

I feel like the company has a great grasp on employee needs and engagement. The new idea of more communication and transparency is great. I'm actually excited about where the company is headed after I saw/heard the latest plans.

2. "Room to grow and flourish but you have to work at it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When the company first started many years ago, it was stretched thin and there were a lot of opportunities to move up quickly and make a big difference.

Now that we've grown into a more mature company, it's harder to make a 'big splash', but generally if you're hired and you're doing well, after about 1-2 years you'll start to take on more and more responsibilities, and from there you can only go up - but it's essential that you seek them out and not get discouraged, and you take that first 1-2 years seriously...it's almost a litmus test. But once you get that first promotion, the doors start opening wider.

Also, Networking and building a positive reputation, as cliche as it is, really helps. Everyone knows everyone in a company of 350 (350 in TX at least).

Friendly atmosphere, and people who are really trying to do well.

Work life balance is excellent.

Good culture and values, supported by personal beliefs.

Cons

Not the fastest place to grow, but full of opportunity if you try, and surrounded by genuinely nice people who are the kind of people you don't mind saying Hi to at the coffee bar or at Happy Hour.

Salary isn't going to amaze you, but it grows quickly after year 1 with ESPP, RSU grants, and Bonus (10%).

Advice to Management

More management and leadership training for internal-hire managers/ first-time managers or dept leaders. It's great that we promote from within but I'm shocked at how little training there is for some things (e.g. interviewing, managing a team)...giving internal hires a better ground to stand on here benefits everyone.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, the product works, great culture. Unlimited PTO and AMAZING benefits! CEO is super transparent and communicative with the whole company.

Cons

Not much room for growth, unless you put yourself out there. Just as in almost any work place environment, you have to make yourself noticed/known.

5. "Great Fun Company That Really Takes Care of You!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are great! Fun to work with and really become your friends. The company itself really takes care of their employees with amazing perks! Breakfast and lunch, fully stocked snacks and drinks, barista on site, juice on tap, reimbursement for gym, cellphone and so more! It's one of the best companies i've ever worked for.

Cons

Because of the perks, pay is lower than industry standards. Not everyone at Retailmenot feels included in the long term plan of the company, and though we're free and welcomed to voice our opinions, certain changes can't be made so the moral can be low for certain teams, but they do a good job of transitioning you over to another team/department if you have interest in that.

Advice to Management

Make everyone feel like they are apart of the long term plan!

6. "Great"

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

Great..love it amazing.best place ever

Cons

No cons at all. love this place

"Very political, toxic environment"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch 4 days/wk, coffee bar, free breakfast on mondays, cool workspace & gadgets in the office, work from home.

Cons

Very political environment where 'diversity & inclusivity' is a major priority as employees are divided by race & genitalia, then we're told we need more of this group and less of this group. It's rather sickening. You must think and march along with the obvious political party lines (which doesn't even have anything to do with work) or you're not in the clique.

Advice to Management

Leave the toxic, political topics at home, some of us just want to work at our jobs. Diversity is more than skin pigmentation, sexual preference, and gender. Inclusivity should be welcoming to all viewpoints, not just the mainstream.

RetailMeNot Response

Jan 31, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. At RetailMeNot, we believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace is central to our success, and that every team member is valued, welcomed, respected, and heard ... More

8. "Fantastic company"

Current Employee - Site Operations Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Site Operations Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Transparent management
    - Clearly communicated company vision

Cons

- Nothing really is a con

9. "RMN"

Pros

Smart hard working group of people. Very passionate and transparent CEO.

Cons

Cons are primarily attributable to growing pains after going public. Lots of meetings and began to lose focus of hiring for culture fit.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and listen to your employees.

"Great for Engineers"

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks! Culture! Working with super smart and talented people! All the pros listed here are airtight. There are a lot of awesome opportunities at RMN, and the environment is great for collaboration and bolstering technical skills.

Cons

- An effort to retain eng talent is showering praise for any and all 'accomplishments,' even if the product or idea flopped. If you work in a department that doesn't write code, you can easily feel like a bit of a second-class employee. (it's tough to watch a product manager wearing an Apple Watch accept a second one as a gift from the company celebrating an app release)
    - It is clear that you are replaceable, even in the recent/current climate of attrition in all departments.
    - There is not much oversight or advocacy from upper management, which causes friction among the team members; be prepared to miss your loved ones or work from home during Q4, and breathing air is considered experience, so people are often promoted out of nepotism or politics instead of talent and drive.
    - Engineers seem to treat RMN as a post-college training station before moving on to bigger name tech companies. It's not uncommon to find a bug nobody can fix because the person who built it left.

Advice to Management

- Be more graceful when assigning credit and congratulations for hard work
    - Stop hiring and promoting people into people-management positions whose qualifications are irrelevant or nonexistent; you'll end up with 50 self-righteous Indian chiefs and no Indians who will work for them.

"Great work/life balance. Fast paced engineering"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Lot of ownership over engineering projects
    + Very friendly coworkers
    + Smart engineers
    + Good compensation
    + Good benefits
    + Does a good job at recognizing work

Cons

- Often times celebrates the little meaningless victories
    - Lot of projects never receive the proper marketing/promotion
    - Less than satisfactory performance and product launches recently

Advice to Management

Launch projects/products backed by market research. More transparency into what Engineering leadership does day to day.