RetailMeNot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

RetailMeNot Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2018

Senior Product Manager Interview

Interview

I had a great experience interviewing with RMN. The recruiters were wonderful - they were incredibly prepared and responsive. I enjoyed meeting the RMN folks and found the process very thorough; I was able to meet with pretty much everyone on the team.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX).

Interview

The whole process was well managed and iterative. They were timely in their responses and open about the stages. All interviewers were engaged and courteous. At times there were multiple people and at other times 1:1. The questions were all related to the job itself and my past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Create a business model to solve a problem.   1 Answer

Sales Ops Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

Took a couple of months from application submission to final offer. I had a couple of phone interviews before I came in for a full day of interviews with stakeholders I would be working with. I had a couple more phone interviews a few days after that.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a better match for this position than any other candidate?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Urbana, IL).

Interview

I met their representatives on a on-campus career fair and submitted my resume. A few days later I got a on-campus whiteboard interview in our test center. I solved all the questions but did not move further.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of coupons and a list of products, output how much a customer can save.   Answer Question
    • The following two/three(I did three in total, but I heard someone had done four) questions added constrains based on the first one, but I don't remember what the constrains were...   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RetailMeNot in September 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume online the recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to setup a phone call. She was very friendly during the interview set-up process and during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      What is your expected salary?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Highly unprofessional experience from RetailMeNot. A phone screen was set up and I agreed to the time of the screen despite being onsite with a client, I made it work. Then, I'm waiting in my car in the Austin, TX heat for the phone to ring, it doesn't. 5 minutes pass and I contact the recruiter to find out what is going on as I hadn't heard anything about a cancellation of the phone conversation. I find out 20 minutes into what should have been a 30 minute interview that the interviewer had a pressing matter to attend to and couldn't be bothered to even email the recruiter to let me know. Fine, stuff happens, but when asked when I could make another interview I set it up for a time more convenient for me.

That time comes and the 30 minute interview seems to go really well. The person who interviewed me asked some great questions and I learned a lot about the role that wasn't in the job description and asked some questions of him that I know were marked significant. After the interview I'm told they would like to set-up an in-person interview. I give the times and days I can meet for a multi-hour in-person interview and then out of the blue am told they don't want me to come in after all.

I was told by the person that interviewed me that he had hired a person I used to work with 5 years ago and it didn't take much imagination to deduce that individual to have told the interviewer not to even let me have the in-person interview, despite me being a perfect fit for RetailMeNot's needs, willing and able to provide measurable value to the company.

So, all in all, I wasted an hour of my life and an hour of pay, not counting time coordinating. RetailMeNot, you have to be asking yourselves why you think you can treat candidates like that, if you as the interviewer like what you heard from the person you're interviewing, treat that person with respect for their time, especially when you botch the initial call and don't even apologize. My résumé was available, so you know where I worked previously and you could have asked your team about me before setting up the first phone screen and it would have been better for all concerned parties.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to start?   1 Answer

RetailMeNot Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for letting us know about this. We work hard to ensure a positive candidate experience for everyone, and we are sorry to hear otherwise.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Because business projects often require a multidisciplinary team of employees to work together to find solutions and effect outcomes. The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together. After that, technical question is asked.

Interview Questions

• The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

RetailMeNot employed a three phase interview process for this role, including recruiter phone screen, coffee with the hiring manager, and an onsite interview. Each step was clear and direct, with a clear description of the role and the requirements and expectations clearly stated.

The process took just over a week with an additional few days for the formal offer to be made.

After the offer was made, the background check and pre-onboarding was extensive and required significant research on my part to go back through records to support my job history. It's refreshing to see a company actually check references and job history!

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

OK, so I have some somewhat juicy dirt on this one.

I did a phone interview with RetailMeNot. The guy asked me some really basic questions, and my answers seemed to intimidate him. He thought that OWASP was a paid security audit service, displaying his ignorance of OWASP, which is actually a 501c3 dedicated to proliferating computer security knowledge, something EVERYONE in software-as-a-service testing should know about.

Ultimately, they came back and said I was over-qualified. The exact words they used were 'We wouldn't want to put an automated scripter in a manual tester role'. I actually do both manual and auto testing, but they said I was overqualified. For an $89k/yr job. I've never in my life made that much money. If I'm over-qualified, why can't I find anyone willing to pay me more to do my job?

OK, so here's where it gets juicy: A co-worker of mine, with the exact same job title as me, at my current employer, goes up for the same role at RetailMeNot. Not only do they invite him for an onsite interview, they offered him the job! Background on this guy: by most, if not all accounts, he is less skilled than me. I'm an automator and sysadmin, and he's just a manual front-end black box tester. Ultimately, he was laid off from my current employer for being under-skilled and overpaid. He re-located to the DC area, and ended up not even wanting or taking the job that RetailMeNot offered him. But we were somewhat friendly co-workers, so I was kept informed of all this.

Not to be bitter or toot my own horn, but if you could get either of us for the same money, it makes sense, both on paper and in practice, to hire me!

The other difference between him and me: I'm white, and he's Indian. I would not have thought anything of this, if I had not read this review of RetailMeNot on Glassdoor:

'Very political environment where 'diversity & inclusivity' is a major priority as employees are divided by race & genitalia, then we're told we need more of this group and less of this group. It's rather sickening. You must think and march along with the obvious political party lines (which doesn't even have anything to do with work) or you're not in the clique.'

And there are other reviews that indicate that's the way the wind blows at this company, too... Just read through all their reviews.

What's so bad for them, is that my co-worker didn't take the job, he actually took another job, and we are still on friendly terms... so if I were to sue RetailMeNot for discrimination, he would probably testify on my behalf. Maybe someone is going to have to sue, in order to convince them to address their internal biases, and change their policy to one that is legal.

Interview Questions

• How would you perform security testing?   1 Answer

RetailMeNot Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

All who apply for a role at RetailMeNot are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation... More

Returns Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Honestly the hiring process is very long with no reward. It is for their sub-company Giftcard Zen.

About a few days after I applied I received an email from their Talent Sourcer requesting an available date and time for a phone interview. On this call they asked basic questions like who I am, what I currently do, what type of person I am and so on.

The phone interview went well so then I was sent another email setting me up for a phone interview with their Operations Manager. During this call the questions went a little more in depth by inquiring how I would act in certain situations.

After this went well I was advised that I will receive 3 "mock" customer emails and to reply back as how I would if I were working for them.

They liked my responses so I was scheduled for an in person interview. This interview was scheduled with multiple people (Manager of Operations, Returns Lead,Product Support Associate , HR Coordinator and one other person but they didn't provide me their title.) and was estimated to take 2 hours.

When I met them there they had me log in on a tablet. The tablet notified the HR Coordinator which came out right away. First I was greeted by the Operations Manager (which I already had a phone interview with), Returns Lead and one other person.

During this part of the interview I honestly felt drilled. Which I wasn't expecting as I have already gone through a long interview process so far. They kept asking question after question about who I am, what I do, and how I would react in certain situations. This constant drilling went on for an hour.

After this stage I then talked with the Product Support Associate which was a lot more laid back. They asked me more personal questions to see if I would be a good fit with the companies staff.

Finally I had the HR coordinator meet with me to discuss benefits.

After this I was escorted to the elevators and two days later was not offered the job.