RetailMeNot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in July 2018.

Interview

My first contact was through a recruiter. I worked with her previously so she was already familiar with my background. My next interview was with the VP of Product Management. The tone was very relaxed and flowed like a good conversation. Even though it was scheduled late in the day there was good energy all the way to the end. The next phase was an in-person interview at the office. This lasted all day and involved several people who rotated every 45 minutes. Retail Me Not provided lunch which facilitated interviews going the entire time. It sounds hectic, but Retail Me Not really puts a lot of effort into making it a relaxed experience. While they snuck in several "tell me about a time" style of question, the overall feeling was very conversational. Most importantly, each person took the time to make sure that I was able to ask any questions that I had. There were some tricky questions in there, but more than just technical ability they wanted to verify how well you would fit into the company's culture. That part really stands out about the process.

Interview Questions

• We really encourage our employees to share their knowledge and experience with each other to help each other grow. Tell me 2 things that you will bring that you can share with others.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when Agile failed you.   1 Answer

RetailMeNot Response

Nov 7, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for this feedback. Our people make us who were are so take a lot of care in our selection process. It's great to hear that you had a great candidate experience during your interview process.... More

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2018.

Interview

After applying online, I was sent an online coding challenge that had about 5 questions. This could be completed in any language. Next, I had a basic phone screen with the recruiter. I was then invited for a half day of interviews. First was with a director, the next was a 1hr whiteboard session with two engineers, then an interview with the engineering manager, then a culture fit interview with a product owner, finally a quick benefits overview with HR.

Interview Questions

• The online coding test had basic methods, one used hashmaps, one was to create a class for a circle   Answer Question
    • The whiteboard session was around creating a class for a domain object, started out simple and built upon that. Worked up to implementing a sorting algorithm.   Answer Question
    • The non-technical interviews were pretty standard behavioral and interview questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit resume through the campus interview, answered some simple questions on the career fair and got an technical interview the day after the campus career fair. The interviews are mostly technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

On campus 50 minute interview. First 15 minutes or so were talking about the company and my background. Then technical questions of increasing complexity.
    Always be thinking about how to have the most efficient code. It's not worth it to waste your time with an inefficient solution. Really, if you can't get the most efficient solution you won't get the job anyway.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of digits, return the longest number (of digits) that is prime   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Ithaca, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour interview, a few short answer questions and one coding question. The short answer questions were "what is a dictionary", and "what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" These were straight forward to answer. The coding question came in 3 parts, the first and second involving simple iterative functions, but the third was to implement it recursively. The third was easy if you were to implement it from scratch, but not easy when they instructed to change the function by adding a few lines.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, return a list of all the prime numbers formed by concatenating the integers from left to right in that list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

I handed in my resume at a college recruiting event. Then was invited for a phone interview a day later. The interview was on the phone but I was asked to use coderpad.io for the programming.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of single digit numbers, return the index of the first smallest prime number. Where the prime number is made by combining the numbers. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the index returned would be 3, since 107 is the first prime. And what's the complexity.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of single digit numbers, return all the index's of the first smallest prime number. Continue the search from the index found. The prime number is made by combining the numbers. Must be recursive. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the indexes returned will be 3, 5, 6. The remaining numbers 9 and 2 will not be considered.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of single digit numbers, return all the index's of the first smallest prime number. Continue the search from the index found. The prime number is made by combining the numbers. However, if there are numbers remaining, then go back a choose new indexes to make sure the array can be split into all prime numbers. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the indexes returned will be 3, 5, 7.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

My first interview was on my college campus after a career fair. Standard whiteboard interview with two interviewers in the room. Asked to solve a basic graph traversal problem disguised as a game board based on chutes and ladders.

Second round interview was at their Austin, TX office. Great experience in Austin and they bought all interviewees dinner the night before and lunch the day of the interviews. Four interviews, each with one interviewer asking various whiteboard questions. Some were very easy, but one interviewer asked a question that started easy and worked its way into being a dynamic programming question. I only had 10 minutes remaining in the interview when the DP question was presented, which I found odd and unfair.

After the four whiteboard interviews, there was a personality interview with an engineering manager that simply discussed career goals and fit with the company.

Finally, I was given a small gift box of cookies and some RetailMeNot promotional items (google cardboard and stickers) as a thank you for interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of billboards along a highway where each billboard has a visibility rating (higher visibility is better) and a location, create a function that chooses the best set of billboards to purchase along the highway given that no two selected billboards are within a certain distance (so the function takes two parameters: number of billboards to select and minimum distance between any two selected billboards)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Talked with the recruiter at my school's career fair. Had an on campus interview with them shortly after. Then I was invited to interview in Austin with couple of their engineers. The engineers took the group of interviewees out for dinner on the first day. The second day consisted or 5 interviews with a lunch break in the middle. There were 3 45 minute technical interview which tested your knowledge of data structures and algorithm. After each problem they also asked for the asymptotic complexity. The other two interview were with HR and a manager. Overall the whole interview process was enjoyable, Austin is a great place, and the interviewers were always very engaged and helpful.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX).

Interview

One screening interview on a whiteboard. After I passed, a day of 3 whiteboard coding interviews and a culture fit interview. All interviewers were very friendly and personable. I enjoyed discussing the problems with them. One interviewer was unfamiliar with Python standard library and I enjoyed when they pressed me to describe in technical detail how various class APIs worked.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm for identifying which sort of poker hand was contained in a list of cards   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Because business projects often require a multidisciplinary team of employees to work together to find solutions and effect outcomes. The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together. After that, technical question is asked.

Interview Questions

• The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter after the career fair. Set up my on-campus interview the next at my school. It went pretty well in my opinion. However, I never heard a single word from the recruiter since then. After a month, I emailed the recruiter and asked if there was any update from my interview. She sent me a reply a week or two after saying that I need to complete a coding challenge. I was really confused because she had told me on the day of my interview that the next step would be onsite. I lost interest immediately. The recruiting process was just too painful. To have me wait a month without any update and then told me that I have to do a coding challenge was just odd. I never received any update from my interview - whether I passed or didn't. Nothing. I was just dropped. Not a reject or offer. (But I had to choose one so I just selected no for the offer for glassdoor)