Rightmove Reviews | Glassdoor

Rightmove Reviews

Updated Sep 11, 2019

Found 89 reviews

3.4
Rightmove CEO Peter Brooks-Johnson (no image)
Peter Brooks-Johnson
Pros
Cons
  • "You will have a poor work life balance and be subject to a bullying/demotivating culture if you work in the London team under the current management(in 7 reviews)

• "You have no choice but to do this, even at the stage when estate agents are having to close branches and loose staff members due to market downturn(in 4 reviews)

"I’ve found my happy❤️"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coaching culture Amazing Boss who’s supportive and knowledgeable An innovative forward thinking company

Cons

Changing the hearts and minds of people who haven’t been serviced well previously

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture

Rightmove2019-09-11

"Innovating, challenging and never boring."

Current Employee - Area Director

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people and a great company who put you first. With the right mentality, the sky is the limit.

Cons

As market leader we will always face challenges, it is disappointing to read some reviews here but I can honestly say it is the best place I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Keep driving improvement.

Rightmove2019-09-08

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, modern technology, interesting challenges.

Cons

None so far. The atmosphere is great and even when facing a difficulty the feedback is positive and constructive.

Advice to Management

You're great!

Rightmove2019-09-09

"Fantastic place for software development"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Technology Quality Scalability Agile Culture Support

Cons

Personal development can be a challenge for individuals with limited motivation to improve.

Rightmove2019-09-03

"Great benefits if you don’t mind working 24/7"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits including healthcare, good pension contributions, share saving scheme & buying holidays. Lovely colleagues with a passion for what they do. Training & Development Great brand to work for, clear market leader.

Cons

Terrible work life balance, worst I’ve ever known in my career to date. Working from 5/6am before meetings then until very late on an evening just to get the basic job done. High & hard to achieve meetings targets which are made harder by the long hours spent in the car and hours of admin to catch up on either side or the day out on the road. Complete change in direction in 2019 in New Homes. It used... to be about looking after your customers’ best needs, excellent account management and a passion for the job. Now it’s purely about revenue at whatever cost to customers and staff. Senior management have zero regard for the happiness of staff, work life balance doesn’t matter to senior management. Revenues matter. Complicated commission structure that is penalty heavy. Terrible systems that make the job much harder than it needs to be. There is a a view from senior management that customers have to be on Rightmove therefore owe it to Rightmove to be spending more and more money for very little ‘more’ in return. Products lack innovation, we have been selling the same tired products for years in an ever changing and evolving digital landscape. Rightmove need to do more to innovate their product portfolio. People are scared to give true feedback to senior management due to the fear of being perceived as negative, it’s their way or no way. Lots of time away from home, multiple overnight stays and pressure to socialise with team members otherwise judged as ‘not being a team player’ but this impacts on personal time and admin time as most work is done of an evening.

Advice to Management

Care more about you staff, if you continue to have an unhappy workforce then you will lose long serving members of staff. People perform better when they are happier, lead people by respect rather than fear.

Rightmove2019-09-03

"Hired non-technical customer service people from MK to be tech team leads"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The location is in Soho so it's convenient to travel to

Cons

In order for the company to save cost, they are using non-technical, not well-educated people who started as telephone customer service agents from MK lead technical teams in London. These people do not hold any relevant qualifications and do not possess any of the knowledge and capability required to lead a team of technical software developers. The company let these people talk to the business side and promise... them what the IT team can't possibly deliver. Since I've been working for the company, I have witnessed a great many decent IT people leave the company while these team leads stay. These team leads, so called 'lead', really indulge themselves in fancying themselves as 'lead'. on a daily basis. They do better sabotaging people, making and posting inappropriately sexual jokes, brown nosing and acting as trashy as they are, than having the ability to actually lead a team.

Advice to Management

It is because the company uses customer service people as team leads, the production team is not doing good. Real advice: invest some more money and hire some real technical people to team technical teams, instead of some low level admin people to do the job. They are not capable and will not be due to the lack of knowledge and comprehensive quality as a person.

Rightmove2019-08-16

"Rewarding yet frustrating"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom, accountability, respectful colleagues, great parties, good benefits and sharesave scheme, approachable management, free fruit.

Cons

Most people are promoted internally and have been around for years with little external experience - hampers innovation as most are set in their ways. Systems are in the dark ages - embarrassing for a tech company. Inconsistency in flexible working policy - one rule for some people and another for others. Massive inconsistency in work life balance and contribution between teams - Account Managers completely... overworked whilst others spend half their time on the pool table. Dev teams hold too much decision making power, which leads to focus on the wrong things at the expense of customer priorities. Horrendous coffee. Too many corners cut to maintain profit margins at the expense of customers and staff.

Advice to Management

Don’t lose sight of what made the company great in the first place. Don’t be afraid to shake things up and push harder for innovation.

Rightmove2019-08-07

"Don’t think just because it’s Rightmove, it will be great"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Rightmove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and holiday allowance with the option to buy more. Induction was really good and Emma is a credit to the company.

Cons

No work life balance, you can pretty much kiss goodbye to evenings and weekends and you are expected to do so. Never have I worked anywhere where you are abused by estate agents daily and insulted. This is a role whereby you are defending yourself during every meeting because the industry hate who you represent. It is utterly disgusting the way I have been spoken to and to raise it to your boss and be told to... “suck it up, I’ve had it for 15 years” is not really the attitude. Very little support from directors and so called coaching days where you are pulled apart and have every little thing you’ve said criticised. Not willing to help or assist in anyway. I was told by a team member in my first week to just agree and not have an opinion because it won’t do me any favours. No empathy, unapproachable and frankly the personality of a shrub. With the abuse, little to no support and the work load, not an enjoyable experience at all and I take my hat off to those still out there on the front line.

Advice to Management

Just because the Area Directors are friends with the “big boss” it doesn’t make them right for the role. Listen to what the account managers are saying and you may retain more staff.

Rightmove2019-08-29
  9. "Good"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance

I have been working at Rightmove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere and team dynamics.

Cons

Not many cons to speak of

Rightmove2019-07-24
  10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in London, England

I worked at Rightmove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to learn a lot. Fast pace environment

Cons

Low growth possibilities No external trainings

Rightmove2019-07-23