Ripple Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Brad Garlinghouse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The team is incredibly ambitious (in 3 reviews)

• As other people have said, Ripple is a great place to be if you want to be the best at your game and work with world-class talent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Standard growing pains - driving focus, building out processes, saying "no" to things (in 8 reviews)

• Feels like the company is growing so quickly that it is outgrowing the skill set of some of the earlier or more junior hires (in 3 reviews)

"Very special company in a very special industry. Incredible momentum and great people"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

Like another reviewer, I've been at some other top Silicon Valley companies and totally wowed by the talent and passion and Ripple. People are some of the smartest and most respected on the planet, particularly on the Eng side.

I'm working on some of the most interesting challenges of my career in one of the hottest areas in tech right now and many of my peers say the same. The market opportunity is huge and Ripple seems to be ahead of any competitor so it's also great to be at a place that is winning.

The culture is one of the most collaborative I've been at and very inclusive. As a female early in my career, I find it inspiring to see so many women in leadership positions. While some things still need to be figured out, I feel like the various leaders spend a lot of time updating everyone at the company meetings so I know what's going on.

Unlike a lot of early stage startups, the senior leadership team is incredibly experienced. That experience and level of professionalism has reduced the pain points, lack of direction and general frustrations that I've experienced at other startups with young leaders who are learning how to lead or manage for the very first time.

I've also enjoyed the various company and team outings and I've made a lot of good friends here!

As other people have said, Ripple is a great place to be if you want to be the best at your game and work with world-class talent. Managers are very understanding about time off and personal commitments, but people are also super motivated about Ripple's mission and want to continue the amazing momentum so expectations are high to deliver great work product. Generally people who aren't motivated to win and can't adapt to the pace and expectations around high quality work product don't last too long.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains like any startup. Some teams are more execution oriented than others and the rest of the company can feel it when someone isn't pulling their weight.

Some teams need people with more experience in their specific role. Feels like the company is growing so quickly that it is outgrowing the skill set of some of the earlier or more junior hires.

It's super fast paced and the expectations are high. It''s motivating for me and I'm still able to maintain a decent work-life balance but it may not be a fit for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire - we need more people!

We are at the point where we need more processes as the company grows in more locations. We are scaling too quickly to not have streamlined communication or somewhere to reference on who to contact for various things or to get approvals or decisions made.

Continue to focus. The market opportunity is so big and there are so many things we can pursue that I think we need to stay focused or there is risk of burn out.

The company outings, the culture committees and various activities are really well done - keep them up!

"Believe no promises made during interviews by management"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ripple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Views. Endless cereal. Some good people trapped along with you.

Cons

Slippery upper management. Will not back up Operations team. Has gone through 5 or so iterations of Ops in 3 years. Positive annual reviews are no protection from arbitrary firings. Seems to not understand Operations.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises to new employees that you won't keep. Stand up and remove bad apples and bullies. Stop information hoarders from being rewarded. Fire thieves.

"Incredible opportunity to change global banking"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

Working at Ripple is so empowering because this is the only company that has a real shot at changing how transaction banking works globally. The maturity of the product, roster of clients, government, NGO and regulatory engagement is unparalleled to any other company in this space. The work is extremely impactful - no doubt about it. The people that I work with are some of the smartest, driven and caring people in the world. I am constantly amazed by the resilience of this company in the face of obstacles (and there have been many - what we are doing is not easy). But the leadership team is also very introspective - everyone is open about things that go well as well as things that don't go well. It is an energizing place to work.

Cons

Standard growing pains - driving focus, building out processes, saying "no" to things. This is nothing new a startup this size doesn't deal with.

4. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at Ripple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent and driven team, opportunities to learn are endless, friendly and kind people

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and sometimes there aren't enough hands on deck to keep up.

"Best job I've had"

I have been working at Ripple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working in tech for 10 years and Ripple is the real deal. Most recently I was at another hot company in silicon valley and the contrast here is profound. Ripple has a a very open environment of smart people without the arrogance that permeates other companies that are growing quickly - addressing big markets. I attribute a big part of that to mature, experienced leadership that has a clear plan and is executing that plan.

Cons

To be fair, Ripple is not immune from growing pains... that's what happens when you add about 25% of your total headcount in one quarter! There are some mid-level managers (and even one or two more senior managers) that need to scale with the business and focus more on helping their teams grow with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep the very regular pro-active communication going - and encourage all managers to communicate more regularly with their teams.

"A great place to be!"

I have been working at Ripple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely high caliber environment, you will work with some of the brightest minds across all departments. Our industry is fascinating and you will quickly realize Ripple is onto something extremely impactful for the world. I would say this really unites employees as we all work towards our common goal -

Culture is work hard play hard, and we have several clubs and social committees (like Yoga, Wineclub, Cocktail Club, Board Game nights etc) I have made some great friends and colleagues in my time here and will continue to do so.

Cons

Ripple is like I said a very fast paced environment, you must just stay on your toes! This isnt the place to be if you are looking for a ping pong table and a 11:00AM-4:00PM schedule.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent on Objects/Goals for the company to all employees, we always appreciate knowing exactly what is happening and being up to date on Ripple's progress.

"Smart and Interesting People"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

Ripple has a rare opportunity to be a true disruptor in the financial payments world. Exciting times for a quickly growing company.

The best aspect of Ripple is definitely the people working here. Not only are they smart and driven, but also interesting and fun to be around.

Cons

Expectations of the employees is high. Not the place to be if you're looking for an easy job.

"Interesting start up with a terrible culture"

I worked at Ripple full-time

Pros

Almost all of the employees are super friendly and fun to work with. They also have a convenient location a few blocks from the Montgomery station.

Cons

The executive team is completely disconnected from the rest of the employee base. The direction the company is heading remains unclear even though they try to explain it during the Bi-weekly company updates. Communication is extremely poor between the upper management and the rest of the company. The CEO seems nice but you're taught to avoid talking to him most of the time because he has a tendency to flip out over nothing, and once you're on his list it's impossible to get out. The company culture seems great on the surface, but once your'e in you realize they don't operate under the values they created. When things don't go the way management expects it to be prepared to take full blame for the entire project, even if you provided clear written feedback about said project.

Advice to Management

Provide clear direction and communicate decisions to your employees.

"Right people, right vision and revving the execution"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

People. People. People. Whip smart at all levels. Big Audacious vision with a ton of traction. It's rare to be a part of something that really is changing the world

Cons

we need more free lunches!

Advice to Management

Rock on!

"Huge potential and seeing market traction"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest people you'll ever get to work with. Still small enough to for employees to have a voice on company decisions but big enough where there's enough resources to build cool product.

Cons

Its a start up, so you get to ride the ups and downs while developing new processes for getting work done efficiently. That's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing hard, we're seeing great progress.