Roadrunner Transportation Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Roadrunner Transportation Systems CEO Mark A. DiBlasi
Mark A. DiBlasi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Roadrunner Transportation Systems has an incredibly flexible business model and the team work at the Corporate office is incredible (in 3 reviews)

• Use to be a good company but they getting greedy by the second and thats why are loosing great and good workers (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • the current Customer Service lead is hostile and not professional at all (in 4 reviews)

• No one seems to know what they're doing (in 4 reviews)

1. "Loader/unloader"

Current Employee - Loader/Unloader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Loader/Unloader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like the atmosphere, everyone is friendly, everyone helps one another

Cons

None, I have no issues bout working there.

Advice to Management

Like Los Angeles I was there when I was 12yrs. Old, like to know if I could transfer there if possible, I have 20 plus year's experience on forklifts n would like to be full time with benefits which I don't have

2. "Jumped ship to save my sanity!"

Former Employee - Sales in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Livermore, CA

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good price point attracts frugal customers. Decent benefits.

Cons

Most your time is spent putting out fires because there is zero forward thinking from top operations management. They'd rather consistently cut corners and have sales go find new business instead of doing the right thing and taking care of current shippers. We work hard to earn the business and they destroy it all by trying to save another few bucks per trailer by having unskilled poorly trained dock workers cram freight in trailers. Their short sightedness of pinching pennies leads to unnecessary damages and lost freight. The $5 they save upfront turns into a $1500 freight claim and tons of phone calls/emails to sales and customer service. Furthermore the revenue stream from that shipper goes up in smoke and the chance future revenue and profits is gone. Company wide customer service is the worst I've ever seen, even Walmart takes better care of their customers. To survive you have to do almost all your own customer service while time could be better spent generating new business.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and driving all your business away. If you spend a little more money on the front end putting out a better quality process on handling freight you will avoid the majority of headaches down the line and also grow the business. Being an economy carrier doesn't mean you are allowed to be sloppy and run on skeleton crews. You can hire the right staff at each location, train them well, and even pay them good but if you don't change the culture and ignorance of senior management from the very top you will never succeed.

3. "Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time

Pros

Will cater to a driver at the expense of a customer.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Bully/Intimidate employees, no guidance, no motto, do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

Advice to Management

Completely overhaul your managers and staff. They all lack experience, knowledge and the atmosphere managers create is not conducive to a positive working environment. To say it's horrible is an understatement and proof is in the numbers, math doesn't lie!

4. "Sales at Group Transportation Services (a subsidiary of RRTS)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, OH

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees in my department were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Leadership at Group Transportation Services (Hudson, OH) is hungry for power and do not care who they trample over to get it. Large turnover over of personnel during the period of time I was employed there. President used to walk around spouting his political beliefs - ultimately insulting those that believe differently. Very unprofessional, After winning a company growth award for the region, President considered purchasing the staff members a jacket and instead spent the money on buying spa gift certificates for the wives of the management team. Does not value their employees at all. Current management team is driving the company to the ground.

Advice to Management

Get new leadership at GTS before it's too late!

"Operations assistant at Livermore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only writing here because it's making me..

Cons

- pay Is not competitive
    - management makes false promises
    - they don't promote within the company even when you actually want to be there
    - negative environment
    - no one wants to work as a team
    - worked there for 6 yrs and not once did any manager make anyone feel like they were appreciated
    - no matter what any manager tells you there is NO chance of growing with this company.

The list can go on for days, it's just not a good workplace.

Advice to Management

Learn how to actually appreciate the people who put time in there.

"Experience at RRTS"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- got experience and that was about it.

Cons

- not a positive environment
    - the current Customer Service lead is hostile and not professional at all
    - was told when I can take my PTO (no rollover of PTO from year to year)
    - Everyone is miserable and it is not a good working environment for someone to have a positive lifestyle.
    - No work/ life balance
    - No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Create a better environment for the employees, make them feel appreciated and take care of them. This is the reason there is a lot of turnover at the Livermore establishment in California, because there is no respect and a lot is expected of the employees for what they are compensated. I know managers are also unhappy there, make them feel appreciated and encourage them. I hope it becomes a better working environment for future employees! Also, create advancement opportunities, and a better work/life balance. If you have happy employees you will have a better work environment.

7. "Sad"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I guess the pay is decent. But if it wasn't for that I would have been long gone. The benefits are alright but not very competitive anymore.

Cons

Is there a max amount of characters I can use to describe this?? Hours are always changing. One day you work 7 hours, next day you work over 12. Fridays they beat every last ounce of energy out of you... then your short weekend is shot. Promises promises promises are always made and always broken. The company from the bottom to the top is pretty disgusting and I am ashamed to admit to people that I belong to this organization.

Advice to Management

Clean house, demolish everything you have built, and start over with an entirely new regime on top

8. "Operations Supervisor"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere to work effectively

Cons

No advancement in the future

Advice to Management

In-house promotion

9. "Freight broker"

Former Employee - Freight Broker in Sebastian, FL
    Former Employee - Freight Broker in Sebastian, FL

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NONE. Worst job experience of my life.

Cons

Was brought in as 100% commission agent. They spent one day training me. All the leads are given to every agent so the more experienced ones crush everyone else in the office. McDonald's pays better.Lots of suboxone and runny noses in the Sebastian office. The owner will openly tell you he's a felon and has "seen things". Did not give them the respect of a notice.

Advice to Management

Learn how to function as people and run a business properly.

10. "Backhaul Dispatcher"

I worked at Roadrunner Transportation Systems full-time

Pros

The drivers were great to work with.

Cons

Pay was 24 percent of the margin for each load. Corporate took top 40% for themselves. Corporate also took 20% of the wages of the Truckload Plus drivers.
    Provided trucks and trailers to the LTL drivers that were not in top condition.
    Made it impossible for the Backhaul Dispatchers to get drivers to cover loads in states where Roadrunner did not have termminals.

Advice to Management

Cut your salaries. Realize the drivers and dispatchers are the ones bringing in the money to the company.