Rodan + Fields Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rodan + Fields CEO Diane Dietz
Diane Dietz
Pros
Cons
  • "Honestly no cons, best internship I could have stumbled upon(in 12 reviews)

• "Also with the initial start-up, R&F has an incredible staff of mentors and successful employees that train and help you right from the start(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Enterprise Data A in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic work environment. Good pay and benefits. Great people to work with and learn from. Awesome products.

Cons

Siloed engineering efforts. Limitation on architecture. Growing pains.

Rodan + Fields2019-05-18

"Toxic Emotionally Draining Horrific Culture Biases and Inequalities"

I worked at Rodan + Fields

Pros

Office Location is nice by the train and ferry lots of lunch spots coffee in the morning lots of happy hour places for after work and some people can work in east bay good for families Skincare Products for free saves money this company is in the mlm direct sales so you help people that is nice you are helping people not just making money Coworkers are smart and fun people

Cons

So many and the sad thing is no one seems to care. They ask for feedback and nothing changes not even a little bit. The Cons are too numerous bottom line is this not a good place to work even if you’re looking for your first job you will be overworked undervalued. This is a very toxic work environment. Everything is off...makes you just say over and over something is wrong here. The shares they offer keeps some... people there a long time I heard but they are motivated by the money not the work or the company. I noticed that directors are treated like managers managers like coordinators and so basically coordinators interns. Your voice and ideas absolutely don’t matter. Everything must be reviewed and approved by several people and is debated and torn apart so you’ll never have a feeling you do good work unless you kiss up to and are friends with management. Those who do that get promoted and also tell lies about other employees to continue to make leadership happy and play into the toxic culture. I heard of people getting stabbed in the back by people who then those back stabbers a few months later were promoted and crazy those people were known for not being strong performers. You as an employee are invisible at this company. This is also a biased and racist company. There is no way to sugar coat it. There is a horribly disproportionate amount of diverse individuals in positions of power let’s be real there is no one other than white people in leadership despite so many openings which gave them the perfect opportunity to try to be more inclusive in their talent search. Nope they filled every opening with older white people. Even when job openings come up on other levels they are filled with white people. A few of us discussed that we referred some people of various backgrounds to certain roles great resumes every single time someone was hired with much less experience and were white. The majority of people who are of diverse backgrounds all work in lower level jobs. It’s scary because I’m white people share bigoted things thinking it’s ok to say around me. Lots of homophobia and inappropriate comments. In the marketing dept it was told to me that they will say put a “black or a Asian” so we look like we care or look diverse! HR doesn’t seem to encourage an equal opportunity work environment they are also predominantly white and help with the hiring so clearly it’s part of the culture. Men are out earning women for equal work. Friends promote friends despite a lack of experience and the company isn’t doing as good as it used to be and yet they keep promoting people to help them make more money for their families knowing they won’t do anything to help the company. It’s a big sorority of people helping each get their big paycheck off these consultants instead of helping the company. It’s disgusting. Horribly disgusting. It’s really one of the worst places I have ever worked. If you’re looking to apply here is not worth it. There are many companies no place is going to get it all right but they are doing better in the areas that matter to employees and they care to make sure they improve the areas that matter most. I know because I’m at a company like that now. They do exist. Stop! Think twice. Read all the reviews on here and reach out to people who have left. Many have left exhausted depressed angry and desperate to find something new. Don’t do it to yourself.

Advice to Management

They ask for feedback even do surveys some have asked directly about the diversity and was told it was their problem and that everyone was to work together to change it that is laughable when HR is clearly in support of creating a white washed company and nothing changes one time we were scolded and told to quit if we didn’t like how it was so it doesn’t seem to matter if we give advice. I just advise people job... searching to keep looking.

Rodan + Fields2019-09-01

"Toxic and miserable. Sexist, ageist, racist, incompetent Creative/Marketing leaders"

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good products. Some wonderful colleagues who move on as soon as they possibly can.

Cons

This department has maybe 100 people and loses 4-6 of them a week. People are quitting or going on medical leave for stress-related mental and physical illnesses. If you are a woman of color or a woman over 40 the leadership will alternately ignore and torment you until you get sick or quit, then replace you with a man or a white girl.

Advice to Management

This company’s leadership has demonstrated over and over that they don’t want advice.

Rodan + Fields2019-09-03

"Incompetent management and bad strategy"

Former Employee - Somewhere In Tech in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is decent. Product giveways are kind of fun. Cool office

Cons

Terrible strategy on the tech and business side. Managers are condescending, don't listen to employees and seem to have no idea what's happening on the ground.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Have some sort of vision for the future.

Rodan + Fields2019-09-02

"better Work Life balance"

Former Employee - Lead QA Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

QA team is headed by amazing manager and strategic Senior Director, which makes it easy for engineers to work under them.

Cons

Because of its business nature, more production deployments you need to support at midnights. More resource outsourcing

Rodan + Fields2019-07-26

"Not the same company that it was a few years back"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rodan + Fields full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Free products perk -Company shares - very few company do this for their employees so this is definitely a huge benefit I’m very thankful for. -You will work with some great people

Cons

While there’s sadly too many to list out, I will highlight why people should think twice before accepting a role here. Extremely dysfunctional Executive suite. No clear guidance to department managers on priorities which leads to poor planning and many “put the fire out” situations. Very broad goals are given by CEO with no detailed plan on how to achieve them. If it’s given, definitely not we’ll distributed. You... have C-levels reporting into C-levels, VP’s reporting into VP’s same with Directors, etc, that should give you some insight into how dysfunctional the leadership team can be with that structure. CEO is out of touch with her employees. HR is absolutely incompetent and with no interest in the employees well being. They will follow rules and orders without considering the actual employee impact. Employees don’t trust HR which is a big reason of the current poor culture. You will be given bigger responsibilities without an increase in pay or promotion. Very common across the entire organization. If you can play the political game, you’re golden. If you’re about going your job and doing it well, it won’t matter if you’re not well connected. This company is VERY politics heavy. Poor compensation for being in the Bay Area. Many employees have left for better paying jobs over the last year. HR just brainwashes managers into thinking there’s a fair compensation plan in place. There’s always budget to bring in outside consultants who don’t deliver anything but there’s no money to improve the lives of their loyal employees. Despite the increase in company initiatives, departments are asked to execute on all with the same staff. So little to no work-life balance. Unless you are someone who can get away with not caring and doing the bare minimum. I could keep going but this should tell you that you can do better, do yourself a favor and find you a better company to put your energy into. This company was at some point a great company to work for. Under the current CEO many things have changed and it’s no longer the company you once felt very proud to work for.

Advice to Management

Please put in place a competent HR department. Your employees don’t trust HR. Take seriously your employee turnover and implement changes. Don’t just talk about culture or focus on meaningless topics like zoom etiquette. I mean seriously? That’s not culture Consider selling the company if you feel like nothing you do improves the morale. Pay your hard working employees better.

Rodan + Fields2019-07-03

"All the negative reviews are 100% true. The company is dysfunctional-starting from the TOP"

Former Employee - Marketing/Creative Department in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Nice office space • Made some genuine friends • Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields are genuine, caring people

Cons

DYSFUNCTIONAL This is one of the most dysfunctional companies to work for. The entire two years I've been here, I've yet to see any kind of reorg and processes being implemented that actually works. The dysfunction starts from the very top, and like a cancer is spread throughout to the managers and then branches off to the teams and affects individuals. It's so dysfunctional that the amount of people going on... medical leave because of stress speaks for itself. People at the top are not held accountable for their poor leadership, instead they blame others. Meetings to solve issues get no where and you will be in a lot of meetings that are pointless because no one really knows what they are doing. There is a lot of confusion because job roles are not clearly defined and there is no leadership so employees run on a hamster wheel trying to get things sorted. So getting art direction from a project manager is common, or having someone who isn't a copywriter writing copy for a project is also common. Having a director doing an EA's job is also common. I understand that it's good to wear many hats, but it's also good to use best judgment and know when to stay in your lane. DISCRIMINATION This is a company that prides itself on being diverse and open. As an insider working at HQ that is so not the case. They are not comfortable with diversity of any kind. You can visibly see how uncomfortable it is for high-level management to even bring it up. Having a person of every ethnicity in campaign photography and photo-editing it so they are all the same shade and calling it ''diverse' just a weak attempt to check that box and say you've addressed the diversity issue. It takes more than that...you also need to practice diversity and embrace it. Practice it at HQ and practice it by educating your Consultants to be a bit more open minded. There are rumors swirling around in Creative that the VP's discriminate against non-white people. And once you see who the favorites are and who the new hires are, it is easy to see why that is the perception. There also have been racist comments made to staff by other Directors and HR did not take care of the issue. Also the Consultants are not comfortable with the LGBTQ community as their protest against RF using rainbow graphics on their Facebook received backlash. How sad is that! Do they know that most of the creative and products are created by people who are non-white and also part of the LGBTQ community? This is a company that also prides itself in being a female run company. There are a lot of female VP's and EC's. Yet they don't address serious issues like harassment. A high level manager was let go because he was harassing women at work and NONE of this was spoken about. Yet NO ONE came forward to bring up this issue and see if the people affected needed any kind of counseling or support. Also the pay is not equal. Your male counterpart WILL make more than you. So much for female empowerment right? DISENGAGED UPPER MANAGEMENT Does upper management even know who their staff is? Seems like they don't make any effort to engage their teams. I've worked with someone who kept being called the wrong name. There is no engagement which results with a high turnover and very unhappy people. VP's hide in their office or only engage with their favorites. Communication is pretty bad with management, but how dare you say anything to them because it's all your fault. The morale is pretty low... You can forget about going to HR for issues because they are as corrupt as the high level folks. The toxicity at the company is like a fast growing cancer. Reading all the reviews from a few years ago it looks like the issues were the same and I don't see the company culture changing if this is how it's been for a few years. There are more cons to list, but that would just require another full page.

Advice to Management

Folks you have got to get your house serious order.

Rodan + Fields2019-06-18

"Horrible Experience/Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Free product monthly - good location

Cons

The 'great place to work' impression at the interview is not the reality of the workplace. This place is toxic and leadership has no idea what they're doing. For being a 'start up' culture there is no autonomy or empowerment of experienced employees to get processes implemented or foster innovation for growth. You basically have to follow the directives of senior leaders or suffer the consequences if you dare to... think outside of the box and ask a question or challenge a decision or timeline. Leadership does not know how to 'lead' people, so good luck with your training and development. Turnover is high and they are constantly cutting the budget so you end up doing 2-3 people's job with the same expectations with little recognition or reward. Work/life balance is poor. Leadership leads with emotions, but will be the first ones to preach emotional intelligence if you show any frustrations when they micromanage you to the point of not being able to do your job effectively or efficiently. I witnessed blatant lies and manipulation of conversations from senior leaders to make themselves look better to their management. Leadership does not lead by example and there are double standards for working from home, travel, etc. HR is ineffective and does not have all employees best interest in mind. This by far was one of the worst places I've worked. It's true that most people leave their job due to horrible managers. Review and/or ask about the turnover rate if you choose to interview. By the time I left, half of our team was on the way out. You've been informed.

Advice to Management

- Get some directors that know how to manage people. Or put your current leadership team in some management training asap. - Touchbase with the folks that actually do the work and not just the leaders that talk in circles for hours about nothing in meetings or in phone booths. You'll learn a lot more. - Get rid of the top down, hierarchy mentality. The perception is leadership is getting the products launched... effectively, but in reality they are dragging this company down. There's a reason so many people are leaving. - Investigate departments that have high turnover. You're letting a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch. Get rid of these people.

Rodan + Fields2019-07-26

"Don't bother unless you are in senior management"

I have been working at Rodan + Fields full-time

Pros

Free skincare--the stuff is actually very good. You will get a ton of it--to placate the staff and you get it so they don't have to pay you much. Decent enough benefits. There are plenty of very good, smart, and genuinely kind people that work there. It is easy to make good friends.

Cons

Your manager can criticize you all s/he wants, but there is zero opportunity for you to critic your lousy manager. If you are in a more senior position (manager/director/C-Level) you are golden. For everyone else, you are SOL unless you drink the Kool Aid (there are a few lifers there--and they are much hated.)

Advice to Management

Either really be transparent, or just quit staying that "transparent" word all together, b/c it is so meaningless there. Give direct reports the safe opportunity to judge their managers competency. We have a lot of poor managers here--and there is zero accountability for them. R+F is fine with people leaving left and right and not once has HR ever addressed the staff. Does anyone ever question, "Does this... manager suck? Is this why her team keeps dwindling?" I truly doubt that. Simply put--a lot of manager are okay-to-below average. HR is useless to employees. Management cares more about the BOD than employees. Too bad you treat employees as disposable.

Rodan + Fields2019-06-27

"Terrible. Run away, fast!"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rodan + Fields full-time

Pros

Sadly, none really. At one time there were good people who cared about your growth and had a sense of high morale but no longer. You get free product, usually close to expiry or something that's being pulled from market, if you consider that a "pro"

Cons

Horrible upper management, racism runs rampant here. Bullying is common and they don't care to address the issue or rectify it. You have people at the top who have been here since the "good" days who are staying and collecting their "shares" each year, but they don't care about much else. Girls are mean to each other here, talk behind everyone else's back, it's terribly painful. There are VP's in positions who don't... even know the details behind simple timelines or production manufacturing details, it's mind blowing, really. CEO is the most cold and heartless CEO I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Flying private and having your wardrobe flown in is great for you, miss CEO, but employees are in tears and it's so clear, nobody cares. The company is CHEAP when it comes to the people who are delivering the product. Consultants are flown out to amazing destinations while employees are tearing themselves apart to justify a high end package that was ultimately decided on by a CMO or someone in creative. No growth, no stability, no work/life balance here. VP's question lunch orders when meetings are the norm here from 8 am to sometimes 6pm. Everyone is angry, full of stress and this breeds nothing but chaos. Nobody can make a decision here, there's always something wrong and it's pure dysfunction. HR is the most inept at their job, it's absolutely disgraceful, they're not helpful, not knowledgeable and just a bunch of sheep following the clueless pack.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management, overhaul and get someone new. Or, sell this company off and put people out of their misery. Working here is painful and bad for mental health. If you want to be a SF company, you need to compete with the businesses around you - offer better comp, better benefits and a better workplace with sane people who aren't making others cry on a daily basis. Disgusting.

Rodan + Fields2019-06-21