Roostify Reviews | Glassdoor

Roostify CEO and co-founder Rajesh Bhat
Rajesh Bhat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A Place Where People Can Really Add Value"

I have been working at Roostify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You feel like you're really part of something bigger, where everyone is working toward improving dramatically the home-buying process for consumers.

Even as the company grows, the weekly company meetings, accessibility of people at all levels of the company, and the company's open, candid culture, make this an exceptional place to work.

People are really motivated to excellence. The best evidence of that is the recent hackathon from which all the proposed projects were put on the roadmap because of the value they bring to customers.

Cons

There are so many things that can be done, and not enough resources to do everything

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the culture. It's what truly distinguishes Roostify

Aug 29, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for this thoughtful feedback. The Hackathon was such a great success! Happy to have you along for the ride.

2. "Client Focused, Innovative, Inclusive, Energizing and Collaborative"

I have been working at Roostify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, passionate people
    Customer centric
    Great, industry leading product
    Positive environment
    Cares about employees, Generous - one example is the holiday event and flying in remote team members to celebrate 2018

Cons

Open plan setting can be loud at times

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize, keep a high standard for talent and stay the course

Nov 24, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We agree that our open seating gets a bit noisy; one of the by-products of rapidly adding more talent. We're exploring a few alternatives to provide quiet zones throughout... More

3. "Roostify is Everything You Make of it"

I have been working at Roostify full-time

Pros

- Executive team that gives you as much room to grow as you please
    - Friendly coworkers who genuinely care about what they do
    - Cultural Committee is a great way to get buy in around how we want the company to change
    - Regularly occurring (optional) company activities are becoming the norm

Cons

- A bit of indecisiveness around future direction
    - Cultural segregation between business and technical teams

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your team leaders to help drive the business and we'll continue to scale at a healthy rate!

Oct 16, 2018 – Manager, Talent and People Operations

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're so glad you're here!

"A very motivated and talented workplace"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Roostify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is very enthusiastic about the company and driven to create an incredible product. The environment is very focused and productivity is high. Food options are also really good and healthy and travel and other benefits are very generous. C Level executives are very approachable and took time to meet me within my first week.

Cons

It would be nice if people from various teams spent more time together. Even just lunches here and there to keep everyone more up to date with the day to day of other work functions.

Oct 3, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks! Glad you were able to spend time with our leadership team. We are definitely approachable and social and enjoy getting to know each Roostie. Sounds like you are suggesting team lunches... More

"A truly very personal opinion"

I have been working at Roostify full-time

Pros

Firstly I'd say every word I write here is very personal and, please also remember, so does every other comment.
    I personally found this is a perfect place for me as I have full support from my management to make right things happen. I have the resources needed to perform my responsibility and have the support from other teams when requiring collaboration. Of course, most of the times with the resources, help and support, I can deliver the result we need which I believe it helps me get those help I need when they're necessary.
    Also, people I worked with will always happily teach me what I don't know and most of them will also happily admit for those they don't know and learn those from others.

Cons

Of course, not everyone will feel the same as you can see in multiple reviews here some people complain. However, in my experiences, almost anytime when I feel frustrated it's because I didn't get it right, either I took wrong approach, I didn't get the full picture, or I didn't make enough efforts to deliver.

Advice to Management

Not just to management, but also to my fellow Roosties or potential fellows. A good place to work, for me, is not to make everyone happy but to make the business successful with right strategy and great execution, the later of which actually could make some very unhappy. To me, it could be a necessary growing pain for the benefit of larger audience.

Sep 24, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for this very thoughtful review. Yes, as we move from Roostify 1.0 to Roostify 2.0, from early stage to a more mature company, we expect a few growing pains. The journey is well worth... More

"Culture of workplace bullying"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Roostify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting product with a potential to successed. Most of the employees are talented and motivated individuals who truly care for each other.

Cons

No direction, alignment and zero communication (except once a week during all-hands where executives are talking about all the "exciting" stuff that will happened). But nothing really ever happens. People are leaving the company like rats from sinking ship. But I guess the management (especially HR/TA) approach is that nobody is irreplaceable and it's easy to find new "meat" to harasse. So think twice before considering to join such toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Look closely at some people managers and you will see an offensive, intimidating, malicious and insulting behavior. People are your biggest asset so treat them with respect they deserve.

Oct 3, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. Our culture is one of openness and respect, and bullying could not be further from our values and the way we treat each other.

"One of the better startups"

I have been working at Roostify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good environment and collaboration among teams. Fun projects and an opportunity to contribute to rebuilding a platform.

Cons

Company is going growing pains, which means being less scrappy, more process, communication and expanding teams offshore. Everyone may not like it, but once it's settled, everyone will appreciate it.

Aug 29, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We're excited about the rebuilding, too. Happy to have you along for this exciting ride!

"Potential. But that may end up being it..."

I have been working at Roostify full-time

Pros

The product team that's been built in the past year is strong.

Cons

Leadership in general is weak and seems to think vision absent execution will somehow lead to success. Outside of the product organization, there is little leadership strength. The company continues to struggle with execution. Very few employees have any market or industry knowledge/experience which translates into unnecessary learning curves (and time) required before they are truly in a position to bring innovation to the space. Most of the senior leadership has been in place less than 6 months and come with no mortgage industry experience. Most come from previous SaaS startups, which would be great if the product was architected as a SaaS offering, but to leverage it's actual value, it can only be deployed as a hosted solution. In general, there is a lack of focus and delusions of global expansion are likely to result in continuing to fail at execution. Stay away from this company if you are a strong woman or be prepared to be overworked and under-appreciated. Top leadership devalues women and has repeatedly demonstrated their apparent belief that women belong only in supporting roles and couldn't possibly lead.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your weaknesses in leadership - that's the first step toward addressing your problems. Focus on execution. Address the needs of your supposed target market - and prove that you can innovate in that space. There will be no enterprise or global growth if you fail to execute in the space that currently pays the bills.

Sep 24, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If you are still a current employee, I would love to talk with you directly and hear more. It's unfortunate that you feel your experience here is not entirely... More

"Hoping they can turn things around"

I have been working at Roostify full-time

Pros

Good Benefits (although annual compensation review process is unclear so this may be changing), some excellent teammates with motivation to do the best for the company and our clients (direct and indirect)

Cons

Top executive leadership seems to be greatly challenged to shift focus from the founding vision to the execution/ operational growth needed to transition to the next stage. Recent decisions seem to have been more focused on the very short term 'win' vs. the impact to the team tasked with delivery.

There is insufficient focus from the top on ensuring the team has the resources necessary to deliver and only committing to realistic dates. Teams have been asked to focus on improved planning and predicable execution, however these plans are disregarded to focus on the next short term win.

There have also been several recent examples of future commitments made to employees, however the commitment was withdrawn after the employee satisfied their portion. Frequently there was no direct communication with the impacted employee, just a company announcement that the position has already been filled or is being recruited for outside the company. Most of those impacted have been women.

Advice to Management

Listen to the recommendations of the experts as to what is and is not possible during a specified timeframe. Aggressive is to be expected, impossible is not. Ensure the team has the necessary resources to deliver based on expectation set with client. Continue to focus on bringing in new team members with deep mortgage to supplement the few current resources with direct market knowledge.

Sep 24, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Please reach out to me directly so that we can explore your specific situation here at Roostify.

"CRO"

Current Employee - Sales in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Roostify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transforming the home buying experience

Cons

Hyper Competitive market with larger players

Advice to Management

Focus on getting home mortgage right

Oct 3, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for the thought. Home mortgage is definitely an area of intense focus for us, and our customers and partners are very excited about our product!