S3 Shared Service Solutions Reviews

Updated Feb 28, 2020

3.2
S3 Shared Service Solutions Chief Executive Officer Mike Scully (no image)
Mike Scully
Pros
  • "There is also opportunity to work from home, which helps with the commute and my work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "As a CUSO of credit unions your voice is often heard as they value their employees just as much as the members of the credit unions they serve(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "S3 is still a fairly new/young company - founded in 2012(in 11 reviews)

• "The premise sounds great on paper: 3 credit unions have pooled their resources together to have 1 operations center with multiple departments(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity Awaits"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am a person that hates being micromanaged and if you are like me, that won't be a worry here. As long as you do your job, and do it right you set your own pace and tone. I have been with S3 going on three years now and I love it! I work full time and I'm a full time parent. This is the first place I've worked, that when they say they want you to have a work/home balance they mean it. When they say they want you on a career path for growth, they mean it. The look internally for promotions first. Management is kind, understanding, patient and trustworthy. There is also opportunity to work from home, which helps with the commute and my work/life balance. My co-workers, or actually more like family. We actually all do get together after work and want to. S3 also has multiple events for us, all year long. Even nice surprises on random days just to thank us. I feel blessed to be here and plan to stay. And yes, this is a real review.

Cons

From what I have been told the salaries are for my position at other companies, S3 pays less. But I think depends on your position and expertise. I live comfortably, and I value balance and happiness in the work place more than the income, as long as all needs are met.

S3 Shared Service Solutions2020-01-10
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Real Estate Loan Processor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

My interview for this company was the best one I’ve had in a while. If you’re like me when you interview, you’re very nervous especially interviewing with two managers at one time. Surprisingly, it had an ease to it. I felt very comfortable with both managers. They were very friendly, open and made me feel very comfortable. That speaks volumes because in this industry people tend to have an arrogance about them and they can tend to be very stand-offish. My start date for S3 was December 2. From the start the IT dept and the Operations/Processing dept (my department) had done everything need to get me started. I’ve been in the financial services industry for over 17 years and coming into this company I felt like I belonged. I will say that they have hands down the best employee training/orientation class I’ve ever been involved with. The trainers Caleb and Erin were awesome! When you leave the class you know exactly the company you work for, their purpose, their goals, history, their plans, and last your role as an employee. You also get additional on the job training after! So many companies hire you then throw you in the job function without proper training then expect you to hit numbers and meet goals etc. not S3. Also, all of management is approachable. I literally watched the CEO have a 10-minute conversation with an employee. I will say they have a strict dress code. So be very self-aware. If you have to question it then don’t wear it because you will get sent home. Although S3 is a young company they have progressed more than many companies much older. At S3 there is also room for growth and advancement. It’s totally up to you. I’m very impressed with my employer and very happy I chose this offer rather than the other I had on the table.

Cons

None at all.....everyone can always do better than what they are doing now it's called growth 😊😉

S3 Shared Service Solutions2019-12-19

December 30, 2019

Thank you for sharing your S3 experience! We really appreciate your feedback because your team member experience is important to us.

"needs a lot of adjustments"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Linthicum, MD

I worked at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

gym on site, free parking colleagues are nice

Cons

favoritism, gossip, high ups aren't as nice they pretend, Mg does one thing and says otherwise

S3 Shared Service Solutions2020-02-29

"Sucks"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time

Pros

Having to learn fast with lack of training

Cons

Lack of training Compensation is not good Racist Horrible HR No job security Terrible leave Working for Three Credit Unions and getting paid like you work for One Contact Center has a VERY HIGH Turnover Rate No Loyalty for Senior Employees No Room for Growth

S3 Shared Service Solutions2020-02-25

"You are worth so much more than this toxic place."

I worked at S3 Shared Service Solutions

Pros

You have the potential to learn a lot. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Wow. Where do I even begin? This place is a modern day sweatshop. The premise sounds great on paper: 3 credit unions have pooled their resources together to have 1 operations center with multiple departments. That’s all well and good, until you realize that you are doing 3 times the work for a salary that is not even in line with other financial institutions doing the same type of work and nowhere near the amount of volume. Then, take into account that the way to do said work is unaligned. That’s right: you often have 3 different sets of procedures to do the same job function, all because the credit union partners, who no longer do the job, make the decisions. The massive amount of volume that is expected to be processed everyday, no matter which department, is unrealistic. Service level agreements are unrealistic, mostly because they are decided upon by those who do not have slightest clue as to how to process anything. Not that it really matters. I have personally seen management fudge numbers just to say that levels were met on a consistent basis. PTO is fairly decent here. I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse. But one thing you definitely will not have here is work/life balance. There seems like there are escalations about every 15 minutes or so. Each credit union partner acts like they are the most important and expect you to drop everything for them whenever they need something. The phones ring all day long to the point where you barely have enough time to do your own job. This is mostly due to the fact that the contact center gets barely any training, and that effect is felt throughout the entire company. It’s honestly not their fault. They are set up to fail. The HR department is as cut-throat as I have ever seen one. I have never worked at a place where HR seems to be out to get their employees for just about anything. Attendance occurrences are handed out like candy, even if you are literally one minute late. Oh, and don’t dare get sick and not come in. Apparently state law for sick/safe leave doesn’t exist in this place. Oh, and whatever you do, don’t fall for the false high reviews that you see on here. If you notice, there are a couple of periods over a few years of back to back to back positive reviews. This was all an effort by the leadership team to boost the overall score and image of the company. This site is supposed to be about the truth. The CEO is a nice guy. But he honestly surrounds himself with weak leaders overall that only will tell him what he wants to hear and not what he needs to hear. As far as the relationship with my supervisor/manager, nothing was ever good enough, despite high praise from other departments, the credit union partners, supervisors/managers from other departments, peers, etc. That same supervisor/manager is a major reason why that particular department is in as bad of shape as it is. Typical behavior consisted of flip flopping on decisions based on the audience, complete lack of support, inconsistencies, lack of development, non-stop gossip, “stirring the pot” in the department, causing drama, being mocked in front of peers and others, and a whole lot of non-professional behavior. Honestly the worst supervisor ever. There is not one single person that I am still in contact with at the company that wants to stay. Every single person wants out. That should tell you something. The best thing I ever did for myself was realize I was worth so much more and quit. Enough was enough.

S3 Shared Service Solutions2020-02-19
  6. "The opportunities are there..."

4.0
    Current Employee - Not Provided in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities for growth and advancement. I have been with S3 since 2014. Came in as a temp and have already moved to another department and 3 other (higher) positions. Everyone's experiences are going to be different but I have found management to be supportive and encouraging. Willing to listen and answer questions. My teammates (regardless of my position at the time) have always been supportive and helpful. S3 offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision coverage as well as PTO and paid holidays (national PLUS bank holidays). They also offer a 401k and various incentive plans depending on department and SLAs. Some departments offer the flexibility to work from home (in some cases, full time) which is fantastic. Saves on wear and tear on clothes and gas money!! There are various company funded events throughout the year (Wellness events, End of Year party, Summer cookout, Pizza Parties, etc) which often include small gifts, prizes, or food. Just little ways to boost morale, show support, or thanks. I truly enjoy coming to work. I enjoy my job, I enjoy the work itself, and I enjoy the camaraderie with my team and co-workers.

Cons

S3 is still a fairly new/young company - founded in 2012. I think it's still finding it's way and determining it's true identity. It grew very fast in a very short period of time - without time to really examine all the ways it needed to change and flex to accommodate that growth. It's trying to do that now. While S3 is a CUSO doing back office work, we are still dealing with human beings and I think sometimes it's easy to forget that - on all fronts. With members, team members, and managers. Part of working at S3 is learning how to navigate those waters. How to have meaningful conversations, how to listen, and come up with effective resolutions. I know that there are some departments that struggle with this. Both internally and with the members. It is a kind of unspoken fact that S3 pays less than other companies in the same field. Personally, I value more than just money. I look for a place that provides opportunities, comfort, and general contentedness. What good is saying you make X amount of money, if you're miserable all the time?

S3 Shared Service Solutions2020-01-10
  7. "Great to be a part of the team at S3!"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Linthicum, MD

Pros

Friendly people who work there, always someone being celebrated, contests, giveaways, great training, wonderful work/life balance. CEO is a nice guy.

Cons

It's a little far from where I live.

S3 Shared Service Solutions2019-12-10

December 30, 2019

Many thanks for your review! We're glad to hear we're doing well, that is always our goal.

8. "Was a good company until new contact mgr came in"

Current Employee - Msr

Pros

Opportunity to work from home

Cons

Mgrs don’t care, High stress, stuck on calls all day long, mgrs micromanage you to much

S3 Shared Service Solutions2019-09-11

November 26, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. It is S3’s mission to demonstrate a strong commitment to service, teamwork, attitude and results at all times and we regret that we missed the mark.

"Low Moral. Poor communication. Questionable Ethics."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Linthicum, MD

I worked at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is better than unemployment.

Cons

Coworkers crying because they are forced to take calls from members without adequate training. Manager told me to HANG UP on a member because she wanted her problem resolved! They treat employees and managers like inanimate objects, changing scheduled work hours with less than one day notice. Moved employees to a different work space in the middle of trying to work. Unethical behavior was rewarded. Frequent system failures. Unhappy customers. Broken furniture.

S3 Shared Service Solutions2019-08-15

November 26, 2019Director, Human Resources

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We are sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we will do better.

10. "Company with a lot of potential, but has no defined culture yet."

Former Employee - Management

I worked at S3 Shared Service Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get promoted if you focus and produce great work.

Cons

No established culture, Sub-par benefits, Favoritism, weak HR dept.

S3 Shared Service Solutions2019-07-10

November 26, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it because we are always striving to embody service, teamwork, attitude and results at all times.

Found 104 reviews