SCS Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Howard Greenspan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I worked for SCS for 9 years."

Former Employee - Vice President in Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stratford, CT

I worked at SCS Direct full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The CEO is a wonderful person. Also eccentric..but lovable. He tries to be good to his employees. He is honest. I became his first Vice President. If you work hard and do your job correctly he will see that. He listens to peoples ideas.

Cons

He can be a little scatter brained. Lots of irons in the fire at any given time. What you think is important and what does can be very different sometimes. Choose your battles wisely but Choose them you will be ok

Advice to Management

short emails to Howie he will read a few random sentences and that is it a lot of the time.
    He really is a good guy who will help you and wants the best for you.

2. "It's all depends on your preference"

I worked at SCS Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

casual atmosphere, nice professional peers

Cons

You have to be in the right department to be appreciated

3. "I loved the place!"

Former Employee - Global Sales Manager in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Global Sales Manager in Milford, CT

I worked at SCS Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed CEO and fun group.

Cons

I see people writing reviews about the salary/wages paid. Is that the company's fault? You accepted the job, I'm sure it wasn't a surprise when you got your first paycheck!

Advice to Management

Keep it loose!

4. "Good Company To Work For"

Pros

Great company to work for, fast growing and good energy.

Cons

Too many parties, AC breaks periodically

"Truly the best place to work"

Current Employee - Buyer in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Buyer in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at SCS Direct full-time

Pros

SCS has become my home over the past year. Like any new job, you may be a little intimidated at first but there is no better community than here. Not only is management guiding you, but you also have the support of the whole team. In the buying department, we are rapidly growing and everyone is here to help one another out. There is not one person who is not willing to drop what their doing to help someone else out. It is a very open community and we all want everyone to succeed.
    The Director of Buying oversees all in the department and there couldn't be a better person for it. He is very rational in all his decisions and will bring the best out of you. He will help you better understand everything as a whole and help you become the best you can be. Anyone can tell you how to do something, but not everyone can teach you. He excels at providing the tools you need to be able to figure problems out on your own, which is a not only crucial in this job, but in life. It is great to have a leader in the department who is very easy to talk to and voice your opinions to, and is well respected by all.
    The working environment is the greatest here. The company has a very laid back dress code and allows you to really be yourself. Every day, I feel like I can truly be myself here. Simply being allowed to dress in jeans or even shorts and sandles brings me to a place where I am more comfortable and confident, which in turn allows me to be more focused and produce better results. I really feel like the environment here brings the best out of people. We are fortunate enough to be allowed to make our work space our home. If you walk around the office, especially come Christmas time, you will see many people have decorations up to brighten the mood and bring out a better vibe for all.
    The owner of the company is very down to earth and understanding of his employees. He wants everyone to succeed and helps create this great working environment. He turned our kitchen into a hybrid of also being a game room. We have a shuffleboard table, a 2 person basketball arcade game, darts, and a cable TV. Many employees will stay a little while after work just to hang out and enjoy these activities because it really is a fun place to be. We work hard and play hard. He is responsible for holding many annual company events such as a bowling night, a Holiday Hill trip, a zip lining trip, and many more. He will also send company wide offers for fun, Like a March Madness bracket competition in which he is offering his employees cash prizes and paid time off, or offering bonuses for creative ideas in new product developments. He doesn't have to do anything like that, but he does. That is the kind of person you want to work for and will help drive and motivate you to succeed even further. He will tell you to treat the company like your own, and he really gives you the power to feel that way.
    SCS is rapidly growing for a reason. Every week it seems like there is someone else on board joining the team. We have recently moved our corporate office to a new permanent location last year. This was the third building the company has moved to within the past 5 years. We have been able to grow and expand so quickly because we have great upper management who has visions for what is next and how to continue our growth. They continue to provide a great overall experience for the employees who in return excel at what they do because they love the business they work for.
    I honestly never could have imagined finding a job as good as this. To be able to wake up and go to work and come home happy is a huge thing for me personally. Take a moment to look at other people in your life, whether it be friends or family and see if they are able to come home from work with a smile on their faces. Most people come home and complain about their jobs. This is never the case with me, and I couldn't be happier.

Cons

I honestly can't really come up with anything off the top of my head. Some reviews complained about money, but there is great opportunity to be successful here. Money is earned not given, and hard work is noticed and rewarded.

Advice to Management

Thank you. Thank you for allowing us to be us and providing us all the tools we need to succeed. Keep doing what you're doing. You have made a great place to work which many of us love. I am very appreciative to enjoy what I do, the people I work with, and the company I work for.

"Fake Reviews From Owner, Not Great Outlook"

I worked at SCS Direct full-time

Pros

Casual Dress, Some great workers

Cons

Higher than average turnover rate, really unprofessional employees, disgusting working conditions in the Milford location (have since moved to Trumbull), severely underpaid for industry and experience.

Advice to Management

Employer seeks individuals with a college degree and pays them at a rate similar to someone who graduated high school would start at.

Interview process is atypical and has really nothing to do with being a skilled worker (i.e. mental math, alphabetizing cards, last book you read, I felt like I was applying for a part time job at McDonald's when I went here).

There are some really rude and unprofessional individuals at the company.

They may have gotten better since I left but in order to retain your employees you need to treat them better. The turn over rate speaks for itself and the company is ALWAYS hiring to replace people leaving.

"a real HONEST review, not another Fake review added here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at SCS Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community here is great. Everyone generally gets along well and is a fun group to be around.
    They plan fun team building trips such as all expenses paid bowling night, zip lining, Christmas parties, etc
    They have just upgraded to our 3rd and most likely final building, the company is certainly growing.
    There is fun stuff for us such as getting the final half hour off of work on Fridays to drink beer and hang out. We have a cable TV with a 2 person basketball game that you would see in an arcade in our dining area.
    Its an enjoyable environment

Cons

No room to actually grow here despite what is advertised. Everyone is well underpaid in their respective positions, especially the buying department. That is where the majority of the money the company makes comes from, and it is used to fund other departments that do not succeed. To get a feel for how much less everyone actually makes, here are some comparisons:
    The national average for a brand manager is: $96,647, at SCS: $40,000
    National average for an inside sales rep: $53,140, at SCS $35,000
    National average of an assistant buyer: $46,000, at SCS: $28,000
    Clearly the owner is not interested or worried about his employees, thinking their loyalty can be bought with silly $900 basketball games to keep them entertained. He does not like his employees discussing salaries with one another, feeling it would create a negative feeling. Well everyone here does, and nobody is pleased. The distributions are unfair and undeserving.
    Not really any benefits. We get minimal days off (5) and end up working days most people have off.

Advice to Management

Start paying your employees. Even Upper management in multiple departments have been overheard making comments about low salaries. Many of your employees do not plan on staying here and are instead using this as a stepping stone for experience so we can get real jobs that actually pay real salaries. Working here is a great environment yes, but we can not live off these salaries. If you truly cared about your employees, you would bump up everybodies' salaries to something more comparable to where they should be. Some people put in a lot of work and make less than those who are not as skilled. Start rewarding those who actually deserve it. And start buying real money or expect many employees to start leaving in months and years to come.
    Also, making fake reviews? Anyone with half a brain can see right through those. They were all made within a matter of days and not one real employee is satisfied with what they actually make.

"Good opportunities to join growing business"

Pros

Employee ideas are valued. Workload is varied and interesting. For the most part, coworkers are a good group of people to work with. Very open dialogue and communication across departments. Employees are given a lot of autonomy and responsibility.

Cons

Not many cons to mention. Not much sick/personal time at all.

"Disappointed - owner fakes Rating Reviews to push negatives down"

Current Employee - Valued Employee in Milford, CT
    Current Employee - Valued Employee in Milford, CT

Pros

Owner, (or my frightened coworkers) keeps adding positive reviews to push down real reviews.
    It's another skunk move.
    It only proves what a skunk you are.

Coworkers are pleasant and friendly.
    Typical Monday through Friday dead end job.
    Most of the coworkers are decent individuals.
    I really enjoyed this place for the first few weeks - then real owner personality shows.

Cons

It's turned out very sad.
    Owner is not consistent and very disorganized.
    Owner has unrealistic/unexplained goals.
    He makes visceral business decisions and can't be relied on to follow through.
    He refuses to listen to the ideas or the experience of his entire employee pool.
    Most employees need a job and are therefore concerned that if they disagree or provide information that is contrary to Owner they will be fired.
    The Owner routinely reminds everyone if we don't meet his emotional expectations that we can be replaced.
    Original Facilities were oppressive-New facilities are scattered, disorganized and shared with multiple other companies.
    Owner thinks he's superior - better than the rest and doesn't think any rules apply to him.
    Health Benefits are terrible...high cost and low coverage.
    Most of us receive a terribly low wage. It's our "starting wage" except it never goes up.
    I pray I can hang on until a genuine opportunity presents itself.

Advice to Management

We all listen to your scattered thoughts.
    Most of us just smile and pretend that things are okay.
    Things are NOT okay.
    There are a couple of us that are patiently waiting for a real opportunity to bolt from this place.
    The damage is done, you are naive or a fool if you believe all those fake smiles and back patting are genuine.
    You should be looking forward to the next generation of recruits...
    Stop being judgmental, start listening, start appreciating the potential of the people you hire.
    Stop, yes please stop fabricating a persona that you believe makes you look successful.
    You are not successful when more than 60% of the people around you despise you and find you repugnant.
    This has the potential of being a great workplace, unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

"Fantatsic Work Experience at SCS Direct!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at SCS Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quality products, proud to stand behind
    Smart, hard working staff
    Casual, fun culture
    Opportunity to be a free thinker and work independently at times, other times enjoy cross dept. collaboration
    Rapidly growing company, with real career advancement opportunities
    Refreshing open door policy, all ideas considered attitude from owner
    Recent move to new Trumbull office offers upscale office accommodations

Cons

Not really a Con, but rather a growing pain - Company is successful and advancing rapidly - Additional staff is being hired, however, additional middle management is necessary to reach full potential.