SENTEL Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Russell Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "This is a great company!"

I have been working at SENTEL full-time

Pros

After working for several "beltway bandits" I have to say that SENTEL is heads and shoulders above the rest. The people are very friendly, my managers are very approachable, the environment is collaborative, and we are mission-focused. And paid time off starts at four weeks.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

2. "Dahlgren, VA Office"

Current Employee - Engineering CAD Specialist in Dahlgren, VA
    Current Employee - Engineering CAD Specialist in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at SENTEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere within SENTEL! Personable management team both local and at HQ. Benefits including 401k match, good health & dental and very nice leave policies. Training and continuing education options as well. Strong, long term contracts with continuation options and new contracts coming in steadily. Company is growing/adding quality people steadily.

Cons

Many contracts require on-site or on-base work; limited to no teleworker options. While they do have monthly all-hands meetings, sometimes you can feel dissociated from core company.

3. "Family Oriented, and Professional Company"

I have been working at SENTEL (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company that cares about it's people, and does the very best to retain them in a very competitive marketplace. Very strong contracts, and aggressive business development plan.

Cons

No Cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue efforts to bolster employee morale, company-wide.

"Broken Promises"

I worked at SENTEL full-time

Pros

Generous paid time off from day one.

Cons

Lack of raises, broken promises, compensation not tied to performance

Advice to Management

Treat employees as employees of the company, not employees of the contract they support. Otherwise, performance and compensation are not linked.

"Finally home!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SENTEL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family-feel
    Autonomy in my position
    Passionate teammates
    Supportive managers
    Great pay
    Flexible hours
    Gym
    Metro Accessible
    We do interesting and exciting work for the government
    PPO option is offered for medical and not just a high deductible plan (which is what most companies are offering)

Cons

Only one restaurant in walking distance. Limited food options for lunch.
    Coffee - no modern coffee machine

Advice to Management

Invest in a Flavia Coffee Machine for the office. Good coffee contributes to employee morale.

6. "Great Place to Work - Family Feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SENTEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interesting work, caring leadership, flexible hours, location easily accessible from beltway and public transportation, great co-workers, management that listens and is responsive within constraints of business realities, conveniences such as dry cleaning and car wash/detailing available to those who need or want it, overall a good work environment, most importantly a place that continually improves and tries to do the right thing

Cons

there are not a lot of restaurants located conveniently within walking distance, metro is also a little outside of walking distance even though there is a bus. I had trouble thinking of cons, I'm very happy at SENTEL

Advice to Management

There has been a lot of steady improvement in the last 2 years - keep moving in the current direction

7. "Inventory specialist"

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Converse, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Converse, TX

I have been working at SENTEL (Less than a year)

Pros

good place to work so far

Cons

none as of yet to say

"Corrupt company"

I have been working at SENTEL full-time

Pros

Laundry service is a great benefit for the busy professional.
    EEO hiring: this black-owned company has a diverse workforce.
    COO is really a nice guy.
    Like him, we have lots of exmilitary on staff.

Cons

Another reviewer said it better than I can: "Nepotism, favoritism, sexism and harassment are all part of a normal day at this companies HQ." Check, check, check, and check! ALL So TRUE! I wish I could like that review 1000x!

The company has told its staff to write glassdoor reviews here to bring their ratings up! One more desperate move, but I won't be surprised if the company goes under soon. Well I'm writing one now and being honest. SENTEL doesn't care about employees. They focus on small goodwill gestures ($15 Butterball certificates!) but don't see the big picture.

Management has no focus on retaining contracts. They keep hiring more BD/contracts people withouht the money to pay them. Who pays? The government! (Way to waste taxpayer dollars!) I just stay because I have friends here, which makes it bareable. At least we can laugh about the nepotism and harassment together.

Advice to Management

Give yourself a pink slip before you sink the ship.

"Very Disapponting Career Choice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Some of the people are actually good hard working people who make great co-workers. The benefits were decent.

Cons

Serious issues with management at this company. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Nepotism, favoritism, sexism and harassment are all part of a normal day at this companies HQ. Don't expect HR or Ethics to do anything about it either because they are part of the problem. You have a Owner/CEO who is not interested in his company and just wants to trust certain people to run it, but the problem is they are running it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Get rid of a lot of the problem children and start to run a company workers are proud to be at and have on their resume.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Farmers Branch, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Farmers Branch, TX

I worked at SENTEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company. Management cared for its people. Had good benefits. Overall I would recommend. Good place to work in terms of physical security. There is a large security officer presence. Job had a strict 40 hour work week.

Cons

Workplace was terrible. Single person cubbies big enough to hold a desk laid out in long rows.

Code was old and just patch worked together. System is written in VB6 and is the biggest system I have ever seen. No real documentation or internal documentation to guide you through the system. Procedures would run for pages and pages.

Many errors left in the code and not fixed. The IRS did not want to pay to fix them.

I was released due to a downsize of the company's contract with the IRS. I do not know what the current work environment looks like.

Advice to Management

There have been too many hands in the code. Try to work toward the future documenting the code as you go. Try to structure the code into smeller modules that don't go on for pages.
    Keep up the good work and cover peoples back when mistakes are made.

Get the IRS to allow you to structure the code correctly