SIRVA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wes Lucas

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not listen for ways to improve teams, low pay on an industry scale (in 5 reviews)

• There is the opportunity to work from home 2 days per week (in 3 reviews)

1. "Work Hard Get Promoted"

I have been working at SIRVA full-time

Pros

It is easy to shine here, all you have to do is commit and work hard and the promotions follow. Other reviews I have seen here are likely from those that don't want to put in extra effort to get the next promotion. I have had 3 promotions in 5 years and my salary has followed. Awesome flexibility, best part of working here, PTO is really good too. Benefits are fair but the cost is extremely high.

Cons

401k match is low and management keeps saying they can't afford to increase it...I think it is time the figure out how to afford it, there seems to be a lot of wasteful spending in the organization.

Advice to Management

You need more people that do the work you sell and less management strategizing on what to do. Hold management accountable for achieving goals and pay attention to those leaders who continue to have people leaving from their group, no one seems to pay attention to poor leaders and there are several

2. "Typical Corporate Job"

I worked at SIRVA full-time

Pros

Ability to work from home
    Managers are flexible

Cons

Low salary
    Poor raises
    Quick to lay off workers
    Micro-management
    Long hours and too much work for one person

3. "Financial Analyst Temporary"

Current Employee - Client Financial Analyst Temporary in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Client Financial Analyst Temporary in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SIRVA full-time

Pros

Team environment, very friendly, nice building in Cleveland and great location. Supervisors are always available and helpful. Numerous times an issue may come up that I do not know the answer to and they will try to solve it if they can. Response times from supervisors and managers are quick, I note this because sometimes I have to email or Skype to get in contact with them. Considerate with staff for doctor's appointments, illness and emergencies as I have noted with the other staff there.

Cons

temporary assignment is renewed every 30 days at the end of each month, so I don't know if I am working another month or just the end of the week. Pay is very low.

Advice to Management

I don't mind the job, but finding out on the 28th or 30th of the month if I am working the next 30 days is stressful and gives me little reason to stay. The work also seems to be feast or famine, I don't mind working, but one week I will work some 9 hour days or even 10-12 hour days then the next week it could be 6-8 hour days and struggling to get the 8 hours. Just spread the work out to 8 hours a day.

5. "Not always a pleasant culture to work in"

Pros

No shortage of work. Passionate people who truly want to help.

Cons

Too many competing interests with no clear leadership. The consultants get blamed for things that are out of their control. Outdated technology. Too many directors and VP's.

Advice to Management

Spend more time and money on developing the infrastructure to support the relocation consultants. Improve IT. Provide extensive new hire training. Unify processes globally.

6. "Good Company, could use some policy changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at SIRVA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many positions offer work from home capabilities. Depending on your manager, hours can be flexible.

Cons

Flexibility should not depend on the manager, but a company-wide policy. This way, every employee gets the same chance for flexible hours or work from home capability.

Advice to Management

A nursing mother's room that is dedicated to only nursing mothers (and not used for other purposes) would be helpful. A sink and refrigerator in there would be great too. Many people are uncomfortable eating lunch around people who are washing pump equipment and may not be comfortable with breast milk next to their lunches in the fridge. With such a high percentage of women working at this location, a nursing mother's room should be a priority.

7. "Great Company"

I have been working at SIRVA full-time

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, hard work is valued, fair and motivational leadership team, flexible on work location.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like lack of planning/forward thinking from senior leadership creates additional work for frontline teams.

Advice to Management

Continue with flexibility in the workplace, recognition of top performing employees

"Laid back atmosphere...dead end job"

Former Employee - Client Finance in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Client Finance in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Generous PTO and schedule flexibility.

Cons

Dead end jobs. They don't teach any transferable skills. Might be a good job temporarily if you just need a paycheck, but would be hard to make a career out of it.

Advice to Management

Maybe give raises instead of spending money on worthless awards to hang on the wall.

"Unethical and Out of Touch"

I worked at SIRVA full-time

Pros

Work from home and flexibility - only reason 3/5 given for Work/Life Balance.

Cons

-Extremely unethical, will try to get around doing the right thing every which way if it saves them a dime or protects the management.
    -No HR Presence since last year - when they are in the office they are not to be trusted. They loudly complain about the employees and laugh about employees' financial and insurance woes. One recently loudly proclaimed in front of an employee making around $30k a year that her bonus of $25k was "nothing after taxes - not even worth it." Very out of touch with the average employee.
    -CEO is also out of touch - sent an email last year telling employees that they need to respond to emails while on PTO and not put out of office messages on for clients to see. This was rescinded quickly, but the damage was done.
    -The bonus/performance based structure needs to be revisited as it does not adequately reward high quality/hard working employees.
    -Management often takes credit for employees' work and acts as though this is normal practice. It is not.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people - it does not have to be a touchy-feely environment, but recognize that they have real issues and financial woes. Reward the high quality employees with a better bonus structure - it seems paltry compared to how many long hours we have and how well we do. Stop protecting/promoting people who do not deserve to be protected/promoted - it makes you look like a place that rewards cronyism. Just because someone is a decent employee does not mean they will be a good manager.

"Company Needs Work"

I have been working at SIRVA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible working schedule
    -Friendly people
    -Work from home option

Cons

-Expected to work beyond normal working hours
    -High workload
    -Need to promote from within rather than hiring new

"Client Finance"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at SIRVA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My supervisor was great and I liked the fact that I could work fro home 2 days and week and during snow storms and even to make up time. Atmosphere was very casual and laid back

Cons

Health care Premiums were very high and company was very quick to lay off just to save money and didn't care about you as an employee. They didn't care about your job they let you go at that drop of a hat to save a few pennies!

Advice to Management

Care more about the employee and less about counting your pennies