SIRVA Reviews | Glassdoor

SIRVA CEO Tom Oberdorf
Tom Oberdorf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There is no support from upper management, and they expect you to figure it out yourself" (in 7 reviews)

• "horrible health insurance and long hours" (in 5 reviews)

"Work Hard Get Promoted"

I have been working at SIRVA full-time

Pros

It is easy to shine here, all you have to do is commit and work hard and the promotions follow. Other reviews I have seen here are likely from those that don't want to put in extra effort to get the next promotion. I have had 3 promotions in 5 years and my salary has followed. Awesome flexibility, best part of working here, PTO is really good too. Benefits are fair but the cost is extremely high.

Cons

401k match is low and management keeps saying they can't afford to increase it...I think it is time the figure out how to afford it, there seems to be a lot of wasteful spending in the organization.

Advice to Management

You need more people that do the work you sell and less management strategizing on what to do. Hold management accountable for achieving goals and pay attention to those leaders who continue to have people leaving from their group, no one seems to pay attention to poor leaders and there are several

2. "Administrative"

I have been working at SIRVA full-time

Pros

PTO, flexibility, work from home

Cons

Salary, expensive insurance, management needs to recognize those that are working in the lower levels. They have their special people that they like to recognize.

"Global Assignment Consultant"

Current Employee - Global Assignment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Global Assignment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SIRVA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous PTO
    Great team environment
    Supportive management
    Decent advancement opportunities

I've been working at SIRVA for a few years now and generally would recommend it. The Global Assignment Consultant role is a tricky one because we wear so many hats and are ultimately responsible for so many things outside of our control. But what keeps me coming back is a great team, fun office environment, the incentive payouts that are decently easy to get, and a supportive manager who actively takes an interest in my current workload and also future plans.

Cons

High performers overloaded and low performers not adequately addressed
    Global Assignment Consultants have too many things to manage- transferee communications, expense reports, internal reports, vendor invoicing, client invoicing, and so much more. It would be great if we could offload some of these things, and a great way to do that would be to update the employee interface

Advice to Management

Hire more Global Assignment Consultants. If we have more room to breathe, we will provide better service to transferees and thus increase our survey scores, and our company will be better able to deliver on our promise of exemplary service that sets us apart from other relo companies. As it is now, I know I could be providing better service but don't have time to do so. Also, hold lower performers more accountable- we have people with very low volume who could take on more work, but because they complain the loudest they get to keep skating by while the rest of us pick up the slack. Also, have more IT resources dedicated to SIRVA Connect (transferee expense interface) and Service Engine (assignment management system) so that updates and improvements happen quicker and more efficiently.

"Global Assignment Consultant"

Former Employee - Global Assignment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Global Assignment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at SIRVA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and Work From Home Available
    Good place to learn mobility basics (and then leave for much more $)

Cons

High turnover
    Zero transparency on salary ranges. Impossible to know if compensated fairly. Salaries are not shared with employees when they consider roles in other areas, such as higher cost of living areas
    Retirement contributions and healthcare benefits are terrible

Advice to Management

Invest in your consultants or they will walk

"Just Keep Walking"

I worked at SIRVA full-time

Pros

The facility in Oakbrook Terrace is gorgeous.

Cons

Company has a great external appearance but once inside it's one big dysfunctional family. The gossip runs rampant. HR coordinator is not trustworthy by sharing other employee's workers comp case details . It's a very quiet environment with little interaction amongst co-workers. Not the fun, laid back place to work as they try to promote with their lunch room fuse ball tables that have never been touched. No one has time with their workload! Lastly, the insurance costs are absurd. $3K annual deductible for a family without any other insurance plans to pick from. Trust me - not a good deal.

Advice to Management

No need - it wouldn't be taken into consideration.

"plusses and minuses"

I have been working at SIRVA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, recognition, pto policy, work from home ability, ability to move within the company to build your skills

Cons

Very lean organization in which most employees feel overburdened by work load.
     Complex systems that don't integrate well cause simple tasks to seem like an obstacle. A back log of data cleanup lurks with insufficient bandwidth to accomplish, high stress level, low tenure in key positions, high turnover rate, very challenging work environment, frequent layoffs, little backroom support.

Advice to Management

Provide sufficient resources and back room support to ensure customer quality. Poor data and stretched employee bandwidth create unnecessary challenges for client retention.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SIRVA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good PTO, Good hours, that's about it. I don't have anything else positive to.say about this company, that's all folks.

Cons

Awful, management does not care about employees, loud call center environment , rude employees, created a "Fun Area which Is a big joke, most people would rather have better coffee! way to much to list, medical to expensive.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway!

"You Deserve Better!"

Former Employee - Corporate Housing
    Former Employee - Corporate Housing

I worked at SIRVA full-time

Pros

Plenty of PTO days (even though you have to use them as sick days too)

Cons

This company has nothing to offer hard working employees. In the three years I've worked here, my hourly rate only went up .70 cent.

They overwork employees, expect you to work overtime, but will not pay you overtime.

Employee Benefits? More like "Employee Inconveniences"! Insurance premiums and deductible are so high, sometimes it's just cheaper to die.

Micro management is so severe, it teeters on the lines of harassment (listening in on phone calls, following you around the office, monitoring time spent out of the office).

Team culture was very click (ish). Throw you under the bus/ pass the buck mentality. No one wants to be accountable for their errors, but everyone will take credit for your accomplishments.

Management doesn't want good employees to advance for fear they may change things in the company. The culture and mentality is just the way upper management wants it. Management is the corporate equivalent of your stereotypical slum lord. You deserve better.

"Mgmt was not helpful and felt combative at times"

I worked at SIRVA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun activities for holidays, bonus pay, understood when life got in the way and you needed a day off for sick time or other family issues

Cons

Felt the managers did not try to understand issues that an individual would have and would not listen. Always defensive. Based on position, the base pay was lower and the metrics to receive bonus pay sometimes were not achievable and then you lost your bonus for things out of your control.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they are having an issue and don't flip a conversation to what they may have done or how they would feel. Its comparable to when you blame a victim for something they may have happened. Peoples concerns and feelings are legit. Management should treat all the same, but there are times when management is involved in cliques and it's obvious. More training on a management level, and how to speak to someone in a professional manner. Withholding raises for no given reason does not encourage people to want to come to work and give their all.

10. "Good Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at SIRVA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SIRVA does the best job I've ever seen at on-boarding a new employee. I worked remotely and was provided with every piece of equipment (laptop, phone, printer, etc) that I could need - and all were set up and ready to go. I was introduced to every person who I would need to interact with in order to perform my job. Hat's off to H/R!

Cons

There were a lot of clicks and it was not easy to come into this group as an outsider.