SPARC Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

3.8
SPARC CEO Elizabeth Buske (no image)
Elizabeth Buske
Pros
  • "It really is a fun work environment as portrayed in social media(in 7 reviews)

• "Great leaders & Work/Life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The purchase by Booz Allen Changed Management style in some departments(in 6 reviews)

• "Like all growing companies, especially startups that grow fast, there are growing pains(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Outstanding

Sep 23, 2020 - Tax Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leaders & Work/Life balance.

Cons

The most complicated intercompany transactions system.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Informational

Apr 23, 2021 - SME Account Manager in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, people, Fun. innovative, and challenging

Cons

pay, focus time, direction, and management

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Hipster Daycare

May 22, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Daniel Island, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Paycheck - I can't even come up with the 5 word minimum!

Cons

- This place is daycare for all the hipster dorks living in the Charleston area - Only a few lame & boring projects to work on - Almost exclusively government projects - Annoying wannabe Silicon Valley "culture" - Have to do bait & switch to get you to work there - Managers will lie to you - Lots of people screwing around all day - Not the place to stay current or advance your tech skills

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Truly was fun

Feb 8, 2016 - Senior Software Developer in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

It really is a fun work environment as portrayed in social media. Management cares about doing things well for customers, not just doing a "good enough" job, and technical competence is valued. Collaboration is high. Schedule is flexible. Unrestrained awesomeness is understood (where else can you ride a bike to your desk (don't hit the dog), and wear board shorts and a neon tank top and drink craft beer on tap while you write excellent code?)

Cons

Past all the fun and games, and all the great people, and the truly enjoyable work environment, some of the technical work is simply not engaging or interesting. There are stale projects where it's hard to tell what kind of impact you are really making. The acquisition by Booz Allen means uncertainty about the future of core values and culture, although things are OK so far. The Booz Allen performance rewards system (raises) leaves much to be desired. If you get hired for $75,000, don't expect to make $100,000 in 18 months just because you do a great job and prove you're worth it.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Great People, Great Environment, Great Career

Jun 8, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sparc has become a home away from home. I have had opportunities to grow in ways I have not been able to at previous jobs. It is obvious that we are team, with each member being an important part. In a growing company it can be hard to know everyone and keep up with new hires, but Sparc works hard to make everyone known and recognized. Call it culture, call it corporate pride, call it whatever you want but Sparc has it in spades. People here are proud to tell people where they work, proud to recommend friends work here, and happy to come to work everyday. Dogs, beer, nerf darts, slow clapping, Humans of Sparc, unlimited vac, planned and impromptu parties, flip flops and shorts... Sparc is just a fun place full of super smart talented people.

Cons

Like all growing companies, especially startups that grow fast, there are growing pains. To be fair all companies need to strengthen certain areas, at Sparc I would say these would be: -Health Benefits -Corporate Communication -Tuition Reimbursement/ Training The great thing about Sparc is that as a small company, input is received and opportunities to better the company are taken.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

SPARC is a "People First, First" work environment and they live up to these expectations!

Jun 10, 2011 -  in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fun place to work - Very open communication with everyone, including the SLT - Everyone treated as equals - Agile, always evolving work environment - Very good benefits, including health insurance with no monthly premiums! - Work with cutting edge technologies

Cons

Because SPARC is growing so fast, nearly doubling in size in the last three months, the company is going to have a hard time keeping its culture as awesome as it currently is. If we can scale the culture to meet the growth in the company, it'll remain and awesome place to work!

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The Sunday angst I used to have about reporting to work Monday a.m. is gone forever; I have taken back my Sundays!!

Feb 6, 2013 - Account Executive of Human Resources Solutions in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Camaraderie among employees -Open lines of communication across an extremely flat organizational structure -My voice is heard -Recognition is consistent and constant -Work is fun -Work is meaningful -Innovation is constant! -Everyone is a "team member"

Cons

If you do not like working for a company with the characteristics listed in the Pros section, this may not be the place for you. Current employees are known to arrive early and stay late, so again, if you are not willing to bust your back for something you care about, SPARC is probably not for you. If you do not like having fun or the ability to engage ANY team member in conversation within a company, SPARC may not be the place for you..

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It's good stuff

Dec 12, 2016 - Senior Consultant in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

SPARC is an inspiring place to work, having an excellent culture and an inspiring team whose members are both hungry for knowledge and eager to share/teach. It was a great entry point to the industry -- I started as an intern, e.g. -- and they've continued to hold my attention and interest well into my career, now working in the senior developer capacity.

Cons

Occasionally, the environment can be distracting, albeit fun. It's great to have the freedom to engage neighboring teams in a knockdown dragout nerf war after builds succeed and software ships. Only then is it fun; otherwise, it can break concentration and kill an afternoon's productivity in critical times.

9. 4.0

Goog Balance

Jun 8, 2015 -  in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Seen the leadership do some exceptional things when someone was going through personal issues like sickness. Things like financial assistance and liberal time off and flexibility. Fun environment. Free beer who doesn't like beer. Casual work space.

Cons

It gets a little wild sometimes with the darts and such. I don't mind it but some people might. The building especially the heating and air need some work but I think it is getting worked on.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Top talent with a fun environment while staying ahead of cutting edge technology.

Mar 28, 2011 -  in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-I enjoy coming to work everyday. -My hard work and dedication never goes unappreciated or unacknowledged. Whether I get a verbal complement or a hand written thank you with a lottery ticket, I always feel encouraged to perform to the best of my ability. -SPARC offers top-notch benefits. -Company communication encourages us to workout hard in the mornings, but close the day with an IPA from Charleston Beer Exchange.

Cons

-We're growing so fast that it's hard to keep up with all the new hires -Between the scooters, Call of Duty, Nerf guns, sumo wrestling, soccer and basketball it is sometimes difficult to code.... but you definitely learn to trust people here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 Reviews