Sage Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sage CEO Stephen Kelly
Stephen Kelly

Pros
  • Growing company with great work life balance (in 63 reviews)

• Good benefits and rewards from the company (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • How many products are decided on by upper management and then when they are a failure (in 50 reviews)

• Sage refers to work life balance (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work, lots of progression opportunities"

Current Employee - Global Social Media in Winnersh, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Social Media in Winnersh, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career progression opportunities
    Inclusive, team-focused place to work
    Lots of flexibility
    Innovative technology - great to work on

Cons

Can be a siloed way of working but this is changing

"Must be agile...don't think too much"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, you can work from home. They encourage volunteering giving you 5 days a year to volunteer anywhere. They aren't strict about PTO (outside of the phones and sales, not sure about them), but if you have to work from home or take a day if you're sick it's not one of those things where you can be written up. The newly designed work spaces in Midtown and Lawrenceville are chic, modern and trendy. So, its a nice environment to work.

Cons

Lots of change, not very transparent, the vision partially communicated. So, there are just random decisions made and you think "that makes no sense" and executive and global management will just move forward, therefore all that can be considered is they either want the business to fail or they know something they aren't communicating. I am going with the latter.

Advice to Management

Do better in communicating change, otherwise it can eat at employee morale.

Feb 7, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review of Sage. The Sage Foundation is awesome isn't it - not only is it great for us as colleagues, the charities we help benefit so much as well. Work life balance is really ... More

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sage started off wonderful; the training was thorough and very hands on, clear expectations were set, many resources for help and assistant on the job, laid-back office atmosphere, lenient policies on attendance and daily work flow

Cons

As Sage progresses you see more micro-management, lots of policies being changed, unrealistic goals to be met, larger workloads with little to no training and no compensation for the increased workload, unrealistic procedures to resolve issues

Advice to Management

Don't push your employees and put unnecessary stresses on them for company faults

"A company for the Shareholders"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Sage (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits- Dental, Vision, Medical, Gym reimbursement.
    Start with vacation time
    Overtime available if needed
    Pay is decent if you can hit goal.
    Work/Life balance is good

Cons

Company is becoming to vested in the shareholders rather than the employees. Doubling or even tripling goals from the previous year without making improvements to the product- and at the same time increasing the price of the product 2 to 4 times a year.
    Micro-managing is ridiculous because of the impossible-to-hit goals.
    Sage puts on a facade of being a huge family and "OneSage", but again, all of its changes are for the shareholders, not the employees.
    Too many changes happen in a year with compensation.

Advice to Management

Pick a compensation plan and don't change it when your employees start making money.
    Properly compensate mid-market sales- they are selling multi-thousand dollar (tens of thousands) software and you award them with hundred dollar bonuses. This is why your mid-market teams drastically change every few months. No one will sell you millions a month for a 2 grand check.
    Stop increasing prices and irritating off customers
    Don't act like we have a say in the company and we are a family then tell us to "quit if you don't like it".

Jan 24, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the benefits and feel you have a good work-life balance. That is important no matter where you work. It’s ... More

"Too many bad decisions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

There are really good people who work here who smart and dedicated, not many lazy ones.The company has some good employee programmes and the benefits are okay.They don't give you a hard time about taking time off.

Cons

The company is trying to get products modern and in cloud, but they are doing it with crazy goals and no resource. talent they need quits. Everyone/team is trying to make them look good and everyone else look bad, its always blame another team. Some groups of people make large decisions that they have no expertise that brings down the quality of the product and more deliverables. Their title gives them power and they don't use like they should. Its sad and the company can no more meet goals with their people making bad decisions because they can.

Advice to Management

Take advantage on the talent and resources you have left and stop letting decisions to people who don't know what they do especially decisions that hurt the customer.

Do not make volunteering the requirement and part of year goals that link to your pay and bonus. If you force people to volunteer than not volunteering anymore and it takes away the spirit. Encourage people to volunteer in other ways that you do now.

7. "Sr, PAyroll Admin"

Current Employee - Payroll Administrator in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Payroll Administrator in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

I have been working at Sage 3 months. I can say that it is a great company to work for! I'm in the payroll team. They all are very helpful. It is a great team environment which I was looking for. Thank you Sage!

Cons

There is nothing negative about at Sage that I can criticize. I heard good things about the company before I accept the job offer. I'm glad I decide to work at Sage.

Advice to Management

Thank you for great work!

Feb 7, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback about your experience of life here at Sage - and welcome! It's great to hear you are loving your role and you have a fabulous team and environment in Reston. Thanks ... More

"SENIOR ACCOUNT REPRESENTATIVE"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good people that work here

Cons

Not enough money for the effort

Advice to Management

pay more

Feb 3, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for adding your views about Sage on Glassdoor. Our people are simply our best asset and here at Sage, they are the best...so, let me say thank you! Our Rewards Team work to ensure ... More

"Lack of Integrity and Leadership..."

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sage has a good customer base in Europe and Canada. The concept of what the company does and stands for is impressive. I just wish the integrity and experience level of the leaders was actually what they project to the world.

Cons

When I started at this company I had high hopes. I quickly learned that the things you are told when you are hired are simply false. The way this company is structured and managed is a nightmare. Currently, the managers and VPs are almost manic about meeting obscene goals and unrealistic expectations. The employees get no encouragement only extreme pressure and condescending attitudes. So many of us dread walking through these doors not knowing how we are going to be berated for the day either in person or by email. The leadership seems to separate themselves from staff as if they don't need us to be successful but don't hold back when there is something to blame us for. How many products are decided on by upper management and then when they are a failure #SageLive they blame everyone who put in the hard work of creating what was asked for with lousy technology and poor marketing resources? There are a lot people looking for a way out and there will probably be a revolving door for a while unless big changes are made starting with the VPs.

Advice to Management

It would be great if someone spent the same amount of time reviewing the qualifications of the VPs and the managers as they do on the nice offices and Sage Foundation. We will continue to struggle to produce and sell new products if our leadership team has no real experience with the cloud and refuse to listen to those underneath them who have ideas and suggestions. As Sage leaders drive out talented employees because of their own insecurities and ignorance someone else should be asking is this the best thing for Sage? No amount of tweeting is going to help the poor structure and management style that is the real Sage. The products released will continue to prove that.

"Lay back company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relax, no much work pressure. Nice time and management. Have stable product and table team members.

Cons

Not much innovation, many product on maintenance mode. Not much real online or mobile solutions.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, more big steps on shifting the online or mobile strategy.

Jan 25, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for telling us about your view about life at Sage. There's so much happening at Sage - we are really going places. Sage is the market and technology leader in cloud accounting and we are ... More

"Large company and all that it implies"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

The people are the best asset

Cons

With every step forward there are five steps backward

Advice to Management

Performance reviews are meaningless when there is a mandatory curve forcing managers to rate talented employees lower than they deserve.