Sage Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hare

1,449 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "What is said by upper management and enforced by middle management seldon reconciles" (in 54 reviews)

• "They talk the talk but have neither the senior management or desire to execute" (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Some of the best people I have ever worked with!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sage is working very hard on making sure that they can provide business solutions for small and medium sized businesses. There are many smart people who work diligently behind the scenes to ensure great products for customer and who provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers. It was a joy to work with so many talented people. Sage also had tried very hard to ensure communication across the work so that all 14,000 colleagues are in the know about what is going on in the business.

Cons

Sage is making changes at the speed of now. Unfortunately, as these changes have occurred, people with vast historical and important knowledge have left the organization. Also, sometimes the changes are not completely thought through to ensure continuity of the business or processes. When new colleagues come in, they may find it difficult to operate because the institutional knowledge is gone.

Advice to Management

Remember to ask more questions of your direct reports rather than dictating changes for change's sake. Sometimes the processes that have been in place for a while are still best practice and may just need to be tweaked, not completely revamped.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great place to work

Cons

no cons 2 yrs in

"....."

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

Great pay
    Provides benefits
    very modern up to date office and equipment

Cons

You need to be a salesman and a provider
    Make you clock out if schedule falls apart or patients cancel.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training your office managers

Sep 17, 2018 – Channel Campaign Manager, Talent Acquisition Team

Hello. We are Sage Software, I think your review is meant to be for another company as we don't have patients.

"Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Sense of work/life balance

Cons

Lack of technical expertise
    Outdated QA practices
    Strong hand from corporate which harms branches
    Multiple years of vitality curve/performance stack ranked firings has removed most talent/tribal knowledge
    Lacks sense of urgency
    Resistant to modern practices
    Slow release cycles leads to high level of unplanned work
    Features over infrastructure with monolithic source code which hasn't been actively maintained in 20+ years
    Scope creep is common
    Lip service to Agile
    Bonuses have been advertised but not delivered on
    Promotions do not come with respectful raises

Advice to Management

The lack of championed, intentional maintenance of source code is killing your flagship product.

Learn modern R&D practices
    Own your products
    Focus on improving your infrastructure

"Meh. Not the worst , but not the best in the industry sector"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits, time off and comfortable work environment

Cons

They do not recognize the talent they have within and talented people are forced to leave. It is all about who likes you to get a promotion opportunity, not who is the most qualified. It was not until I left Sage, did I realize how underpaid we were and I was a top earner at Sage as far as I could tell. The job is a mix of technical,networking and business knowledge. It's like they want to keep employees not knowing their real market value for their skills

Advice to Management

Do better developing your in-house talent or else you will continue to lose your best, most ambitious employees. The cronyism has to stop.

"They need to value employees"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Benefits, PTO, tuition reimbursement

Cons

They change your job titles from what you actually do and what your title would be anywhere else in the same industry so that they can lump you into a lesser pay category. They are notorious for their low pay and have lost a lot of employees over it. Good valuable ones. To the point where when I’ve needed help with issues I’ve been told the only person that knew how to do those things quit.

The software is always malfunctioning where staff is submitting service tickets daily just to be able to get their job done for the day.

We are losing customers because they don’t feel valued. When we try to have sales reevaluate their pricing or practice measures to save the client nothing happens. They are just like “oh well” They want us to provide better service so they give us “training” on voice inflection etc. Voice inflection isn’t why customers are leaving or are mad at our services, it’s because we are so short staffed customers get the bare minimum we can give.

You can’t call HR or payroll or anyone really. A ticket has to be submitted for everything even if your check is incorrect. And they take forever to get back to you (probably also short staffed for the same reasons above). It’s generic and never the same person so even within the company you don’t have designated contacts. HR is just like a call center type environment. Critical tickets give a number you can call but when you call they tell you to hang up and submit a ticket. I even was told this once when the reason I was calling was because my computer crashed.... you can’t submit a ticket if you don’t have a working computer.

It just seems like common sense is not being used at all.

Also I’ve heard from other staff that everything is so heavily monitored that everyone is scared to even talk with HR for fear their boss will hear the conversation or read it via the online chat application. People are very paranoid. If you have that much staff to monitor then hire enough staff to actually help customers. We are always short staffed because people are quitting all the time due to low pay and work load. So when you get time off you’re almost scared to see what nightmare you’re coming back in to for being out. But you have to use your days or you will lose them. No roll over or pay out.

Not one employee I’ve talked to feels valued at all.

Advice to Management

Use common sense. Take surveys about why customers are quitting instead of assuming it’s because of voice inflection, etc.

Instead of making every department like a call center (HR, payroll etc) give things a real feel. See what other companies are titling our positions and title us accordingly and pay us accordingly. If you do you’ll be able to keep good staff and flourish.

"Poor Culture and No Solid Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Lawrenceville Remodel was beautiful.

Cons

No bonus in the 2 years I was there, and apparently it didn't happen for years before that either.
    No growth opportunities.
    You make more money to quit and come back. Forget a raise while you are there that is worth anything. your new coworkers will make more than you coming in the door.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you would want to be treated. Every time I hear our Customers come first i felt sick. Your employees come first, then they will take care of your customers if you treat them right.

8. "Professional Services"

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's great benefits, competitive salary and colleagues are amazing. Sage is definitely investing more in training and it's employees more than in the past.
    The CEO transition is a good thing for Sage.
    Great work/life balance and support.

Cons

Fragmented communication due to being such a large corporation.

Advice to Management

Keep customer focus and employee retention the top priorities.

Sep 17, 2018 – Channel Campaign Manager, Talent Acquisition Team

Thanks for your feedback. It great you love our benefits and enjoy the competitive salary too. We recognise work life balance is important to our colleagues and encourage it across Sage. Our... More

9. "Amazing colleagues"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Change is on a journey that is exciting, and thrilling at the same time. The recent CEO change has brought new energy and anticipation. Stephen was a great leader to kick off our transformation and carry us to along including rolling out Sage Foudation. But now its time for a new leader to come in. Many are very excited and confident in the COO and where he will take us. The people at Sage are amazing. That is what keeps people at Sage. Great holiday and time off benefits. Beautiful office space with flexible working schedules.

Cons

The journey that Sage is on has created lots of changes that some colleagues have had difficulty handling. If you are not able to be agile, innovative and comfortable with change, Sage may not be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask for input and feedback from colleagues. As leaders, you have control of the culture so use that platform to create an great and positive environment.

Sep 17, 2018 – Channel Campaign Manager, Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for reviewing Sage. You're correct, Stephen left us with a great legacy and we wish him every success. It's great you feel as excited as we are with our new COO and the future looks great... More

"Disconnected and Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll meet some great colleagues and there are free snacks

Cons

Upper and Senior Leadership are disconnected from 'lower' employees and even the products that they sell. There is this strange belief that the more people you throw at something the better instead of taking a moment to discover the real reason that a product, like Financials, isn't working. It's not because of the people who are selling it or the Success Coaches and Partners who are trying tirelessly to implement it...it's the product itself. If anyone from the senior leadership or the CEO himself were to follow the work that goes into the product from when it's sold until it went live they would be shocked. They only want to believe their own utopia marketing and catch phrases like that are simply not true - there is not easy about integrating a 3rd party app into Financials to make that "one-stop shop" you all keep harping on about. You can keep putting lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. The first mass lay-off came as a shock and the management had the audacity to conduct a "fake training" while people were pulled out one by one and let go. Then the second lay-off there was NO plan to follow up with customers or partners or EVEN our colleagues in the Dublin offices. Two weeks passed with escalation calls and emails that were going to employees who were no longer there and our Dublin counterparts were wondering where we [ATL] were. All and all this is a TOXIC workplace and should be avoided until Senior Leadership figures out how to stop applying band aids and actually get in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Take time to get to the root cause of a problem and stop applying band-aids. Quit allowing your leadership to bully people out of work and don't project numbers that are unattainable just so you can conduct MASS lay-offs.

Showing 1,449 of 1,506 reviews