Sage Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Sage CEO Steve Hare
Steve Hare

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility, Sage really supports with your work/life balance" (in 91 reviews)

• "Good to Very Good benefits package (inc" (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • "What is said by upper management and enforced by middle management seldon reconciles" (in 55 reviews)

• "They talk the talk but have neither the senior management or desire to execute" (in 36 reviews)

1. "Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's an amazing global brand, the colleagues are amazing and extremely supportive.
    There are great benefits and the salary is competitive here in North America.
    The direction of moving more to SaaS is great and I think the newly appointed CEO can help shift the morale across the different Sage groups globally.

Cons

Needs more emphasis on colleague satisfaction, thankfully this is on the FY2019 strategic plan. Hoping that the colleague experience and appreciation is like it used to be.

"Ok for a challenge but can be frustrating"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

so many of the basics are not in place making it hard to do business.
    overcomplicated structure and GTM strategy

Advice to Management

listen to the front lines
    don't try to do everything for everyone - create a solid company purpose and execute on it

"Sales"

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

-Remote position offering a lot of flexibility
    -Commissions were decent
    -You can make it decently if you've been in the industry for a long time and have a wide base of relationships to rely upon to sell

Cons

-Stove piped organization, the left foot has no idea what the right foot is doing
    -Apathy. Most colleagues in support staff or even other sales departments could care less if you lose the business, at the end of the day they are still getting a paycheck
    -Upper management hasn't sold anything in two decades and is out of touch with the challenges their salespeople face
    -Product. This product is getting killed by the competition, businesses need a more robust solution so you are forced to go after very small companies only
    -Internal tech/processes. In order to bring in a deal you have to jump through a series of flaming hoops with zero help. These things are automated in other organizations but it's all old school paper here. You're expected to waste a lot of your time updating a CRM that does nothing to help a salesperson it is just there to help back office folks manage operations.

Advice to Management

-Get the product offering at least up to date with what is on the market
    -Invest in tech to speed internal processes
    -Allow reps to cross sell other Sage product lines, you are missing out on a lot of revenue. I've handed off opportunities to other sales departments that couldn't be bothered to even pick up the phone.

"Sales Development Representative"

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

They have snacks and the office is in a great location.

Cons

Management is terrible and very disconnected to employees.

Advice to Management

Hire people that can foster a great culture and actually help sales team.

"Value the support department more"

Current Employee - Customer Support/Services Representative in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A lot of PTO (with the newly implemented no capping policy)
    -Relatively lax call-out policy (so calling in late or absent one day won't affect you horribly)
    -Helpful coworkers
    -Free access to the building's (small) gym
    -Internal rewards points for sales referrals that you can redeem for things such as gift cards

Cons

-Don't expect bonuses
    -The support department often gets overlooked in favor of sales
    -Pay isn't great compared to what other companies pay for the same position
    -Not a lot of ability for upward or even lateral movements in the company. You either completely change departments or change companies.
    -Inadequate training for newer hires
    -High call volume most of the time
    -Disconnect from upper management on the concerned and needs of employees
    -Lack of collaboration among integral customer facing departments

Advice to Management

-Stop being cheap and listen to your employees

"Avoid at all costs. Toxic management throughout the organization"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a step up from retail work, I guess?

Cons

With Steven Kelly gone, many of us thought that we would finally see some positive change from the leadership side of things. Unfortunately, we were very wrong.

Steve Hare has now shown his true colors, doubling down on blaming the employees and acting like his good old boys club isn't part of the problem at all. In our last company-wide meeting, when asked about our culture of fear and backstabbing, he presented us with a veiled threat that anyone criticizing management's decisions would be fired.

This organization is 100% toxic, starting at the very top. Do not accept an offer here, this company is terrible.

Advice to Management

You are the problem. You make awful decisions and blame us when those decisions cause us to fail. You don't respect or trust us, and you refuse to acknowledge that the way you treat us is wrong. You set unrealistic expectations (and there's no way you don't recognize them as unrealistic), and berate us for working our fingers to the bone and still not meeting those goals. You have cultivated this culture of toxicity, fear, and apathy, and no matter how much we try to help fix it, you break us down and make things harder on us. We've told you what's wrong, over and over, and you still don't listen to us. These failures are on your shoulders, not ours.

7. "Exiciting time to be at Sage"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

The people at Sage are the best. Sage is truly showing how its listening to our colleagues and taking action to make Sage the best place to work!

Cons

Lots of leadership changes causes a strain on the organization but I feel very confident with the direction we are heading.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and react quickly. Stay on this path of caring even more about colleagues and customers

"Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and decent health coverage

Cons

Management has no clue
    Good people have left due to unrealistic goals set.
    Bonuses are far and few but "performance plans" are handed out daily

Advice to Management

Listen to your Agents, THEY are the ones making you look good!

"Manager, R&D"

Former Employee - Manager, R&D
    Former Employee - Manager, R&D

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, outstanding people to work with

Cons

Made a bunch of promises of hiring people and never followed through and just didn't feel like they invested in tech like they kept saying they were.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you cannot keep. I know things change but it seemed with each new management crew, the same promises were made and never followed through on. When this happens it ruins trust with employees.

"Lack of Unified Strategic Vision"

I worked at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, good benefits, lots of efforts toward improving products and culture

Cons

lack of strong, unified strategic vision and unwillingness to make strategy decisions that were not tied to perceived short term monetary gain rather than longer term improvements

Advice to Management

If you can focus on how to bring the high value aspects of existing OTS products into the modern age properly - even if that requires a dip in revenue for the near term - you may really see improvement over the long term. internal culture reform is great only if you really mean it - you can make all the changes to culture you want but not constantly worrying about being laid off would be the best improvement.