Sage Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sage CEO Stephen Kelly
Stephen Kelly

Pros
  • Growing company with great work life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Good benefits and rewards from the company (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • It's sad when upper management tells you if you don't like it find another job (in 51 reviews)

• New senior management could give a damn about people (in 22 reviews)

"Mid level managers need people skills / treat others with dignity"

Current Employee - Senior Development in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Development in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some dedicated & caring people; good pay and reasonable benefits; some good products.

Cons

Managers not reviewed by their subordinates nor trained in proper people skills; some managers make accidental or on purpose disparaging remarks (calling a staff stu[pid ]without justification) and no one to turn to. Some race & gender favoritism. Witnessed persons who blame their mistakes on others. A few staff seem to revel in being nasty or backstabbing behavior.

Advice to Management

Train your managers in proper people skills. Put focus on just successes and hard work instead of just the occasional mistake especially when the successes FAR OUTWEIGH any mistakes. Do not allow any favoritism of any kind, and never ... I mean never call a person a derogatory name to their face or behind their back. If managers think something can be done better, then prove it ... share your thoughts and ideas but if all you do is criticise, you are the one that is wrong.

"Don't discount these reviews"

I worked at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met here have been amazing. I worked with some amazing and talented people, who I will miss working with.

Cons

When I interviewed I asked about the bad reviews. I was told it was due to the hard decisions that had to be made to drive the new direction of the business, but that things were settling down and not to worry. I'm here to tell you...worry. They still don't know what they're doing. I was hired a few months after a large layoff where they made employees reapply for positions in their departments. They just did another large layoff a week ago and then posted a bunch of new job openings.

In speaking with recruiters in the area, Sage is known for this. In the year I was there we saw a lot of turnover - from people finding different jobs to people's positions "being eliminated".

Definitely ask about these reviews in your interviews, but understand there is a reason there are so many reviews and why so many of them are negative.

Advice to Management

Figure out what needs to be done and stick with a plan!

Apr 20, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. We agree that our people are amazing and talented. It's not meant to be a cliche, or even dismissing your comments, but change everywhere is constant and, as with all ... More

"Short Term"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good

Cons

They do not work well for college students

Apr 11, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. Pleased you joined us, despite being for a short time. Sounds like you enjoyed your time here at Sage and hope, one day, you'll be back. All the best with your career.

"Truthfully speaking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture changes rapidly from “Great” to “Good” to “Wait a sec here” and now “what’s going on here?!” just within the past few years. Knowledgeable and dedicated people to work with, most of them have great common senses on day to day business/performance. Sage does provide all round benefit coverage at an average market price for all employees, although it covers all general areas but there are many better options that Sage could have selected for its employees.

Cons

Work and life balance is a challenge, with the struggles between the business, leadership and the goals they are trying to achieve after numerous shortfalls, it’s just unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Truly understand the business structure and flow before making any drastic changes

Apr 10, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. It's great that our people are awesome - you're right, they are so knowledgeable. That's what makes Sage great, our people. Talking of knowledgeable and dedicated people ... More

6. "Sage - Atlanta"

Current Employee - Customer Success Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are excellent and fun to work with.

Cons

Lack of direct responsibility allows free-riding to occur

Advice to Management

Streamline reporting and responsibilities

Apr 10, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review about Sage. Having great colleagues is immensely important and working at a place which is fun makes life so worth while. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Sage IT Department"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work Life Balance - Family First - Managers are never there - Managment gives you trust and hires you for your knowledge.

Cons

The company is falling apart, Stephen Kelly has not turned the company around as you can see that from the inside. Its hard to pretended but everything is falling apart. Enough said I don't want to go into detail.

Advice to Management

Don't talk to your employee's backs especially to non-management.

"Depressing..slow and sinking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid parking ( if at all that is a perk in midtown area)
    Always hiring (no prizes to guess why)

Cons

Company is full of Spineless customer support guys who become managers after 15 years, they can't ask questions to management
    Technology stack and apps are hand me downs from UK
    Product Marketing does not listen to developers, qa - busy copying xerox, quickbooks et al
    PTO policy is so bad that they make you take forced vacation or it lapses
    Theu will make you re-tweet in Atlanta so much for 'disruptive marketing'
    R&D is headed by cucks who want to keep their jobs and care less for employees or technical progress

Advice to Management

R&D is not an expense and Sage software is not an industry leader. Try and retain the current talent before they get frustrated and leave.

Apr 20, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Sage has over 2,500 colleagues in Product Delivery and are on a mission to revolutionize businesses. The Product Delivery function is transforming Sage from a fragmented product portfolio business ... More

9. "Sr. Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Great culture, Relax environment and Management is great.

Cons

You have to work on old technology. Software is very huge.

Mar 24, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Hi and thanks for your review about Sage. Great to hear the benefits work well for you and the environment is cool and relaxed. Our culture is created by our fantastic and awesome people - and ... More

10. "Corporate Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

A fun company to work with.

Cons

lack of employee growth path

Advice to Management

Management training program would be a big plus for the company.

Mar 17, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback and agree Sage is a great place to work with fantastic colleagues and we know how to have fun! There is currently work being undertaken which will map out colleague career ... More

"Consider this a PSA: AVOID!!! Negative reviews here ARE factual."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are on time (payroll is probably the one dept they haven't screwed up yet), good camaraderie among my coworkers, a few "good eggs" that you can learn from.

There is also an overzealous group of people here desperately trying to salvage the Sage brand, as evidenced by their trolling of Glassdoor and lightning-quick response times. Kudos to you.

Cons

If you've seen the TV series "The Office" and liked it for its comic dysfunction. #lifeatsage is a perverted, morally disturbing version of that and you are one of the unfortunate characters in it. At a high level, the company's priorities and business decisions are driven by one person/a handful of people - which would be awesome if they had the mind of Steve Jobs. This is clearly not the case, as seen in continuously floundering business performance. But let's focus on day-to-day events that will actually impact your sanity and satisfaction (here's a few accdg to a BCG survey):

1. Appreciation for your work - there is none here. NONE. Unless you can change the business overnight or blindly take orders from the dictator/s here, anything positive or useful you deliver is basically ignored. Or worse, your manager (who knows nothing) passes it off and his/her work. There is blatant disregard for your expertise/skills that the company hired you for, which really speeds up employee demotivation.

2. Good relationships with superiors - if this involves anything that remotely resembles what you would expect of a good manager/leadership based on prior corporate experience (purposeful coaching, mutual respect, etc.), you are NOT getting it here. Dictatorship is alive and well here, so the health of your relationship with your manager hinges on your willingness to follow the ruling class - even if it makes no business sense. DON'T be foolish and expect your manager to vouch for you for doing what's right for the business/customer if it goes against the consensus of the ruling circle.

3. Company's financial stability, job security - Sage is a global company with presence in 20+ countries, so there's that. The Reston business, though, is up for sale and it feels like the mother company is just itching to get rid of it. Let's also not forget the fact that sales are routinely missed.

4. Learning and career development - Every place presents an opportunity to learn. Here you'll learn a lot here about: launching products that DO NOT work, selling products that don't deliver on customer needs, ignoring what your customers want, following blindly even if all the data/facts tell you otherwise, how to effectively pass blame, the list goes on... Career development is a concept that's completely foreign to Sage. It's pretty normal here for managers NOT take the time to appropriately onboard and integrate their new hires, talk them through the business goals and strategy (oh wait - there's NONE!), clearly articulate deliverables/what you'll be measured against, etc. IF your manager actually has a development conversation with you (yes, that's optional in this place), it's haphazardly done. How your responsibilities evolve has nothing to do with honing your skills, or what you'll learn from it. It's influenced SOLELY by what needs to be done and whether or not you have the bandwidth.

5. Company Values - This is the only place I've worked for where senior/tenured professionals are routinely chewed up in front 10+ people. What should be reserved for a private coaching conversation is being discussed in a business meeting - complete with a sprinkling of swear words and the company's leadership team condoning it. You'll see VP's and entire teams engaging in a blame game. Remote meeting participants are put on mute so that those in the room can disparage them. The ruling class here is completely tone deaf to the concerns of the worker bees. It's no wonder that they turn a blind eye to the astronomical attrition rate.

You're probably thinking - wow, a lot of HR issues here, why not report them? Reston HR is a joke: the job is more of being a mole to leadership vs. addressing/escalating employee concerns, implementing checks and balances. My faith in global Sage's HR is dissipating quickly since these concerns have persisted for YEARS.

Advice to Management

One reviewer couldn't have said it better: fire yourselves, burn down the place and start anew.

For those looking to buy this company: do your homework. Don't get snowed like all of us did. Talk to the people who do the work to get the real picture.

Mar 27, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Our business performance is really good, a few hightlights based on FY16 close - 70% recurring revenue growing at >10% p.a. £1.6bn revenue and there are 72m businesses in ... More