SecureState Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Stasiak

1. "Great opportunity to advance your career"

Current Employee - Advisory Services Consultant in Bedford, OH
    Current Employee - Advisory Services Consultant in Bedford, OH

I have been working at SecureState full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks and opportunities this company offers are insane. If you are willing to grow and better yourself they will have your back through and through.

Cons

Work hard play hard environment, if you can't have fun while you work or your friends call you a "square" then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent job. I have never been more excited to come to work and to grow as a person and a perfessional.

2. "If you are not in, you are out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home, nice offices, some very nice people.

Cons

Lack of staff and managment diveristy, no clear direction for experienced professionals, lots of busy work if they dont have a plan for you, out of control middle management. The owner drives a truck emblazend with the phrase, " Redneck Hacker" on the rear window. Appears to not really have a clue as to how offensive that is.. Lacks any real leadership skills, unless he likes you or has something in common with you.

Advice to Management

Diversify and engage with people on your team, even if you dont know them.

SecureState Response

Oct 6, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comment. SecureState has a 30,60,90-day program for new hires along with weekly meetings, in addition to our semiannual formal review process. During these touch points numerous ... More

"Unprofessional, Lots of work and no recognition"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bedford, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bedford, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Security Industry

Bar in back, social environment for after hours

Had some very talented security professionals

Great facilities

Was great at one time, hate to see this.

Cons

Many of top staff have left, had such talented people at one time.

Unprofessional behavior with CEO, lots of negative feed back.

Cannot remember positive feed back. Many employees working long hours for "what took you so long".

More of a frat Vs. an office environment.

Poor IT environment, for a security was surprising how little they let us spend on infrastructure.

Ethic's not the highest with client issues, bill as much as you can as often as you can.

Advice to Management

Employees are you only real asset in a Consulting Company. Hope they do well there are still some good people there, but less every day.

5. "A strong company that will help you grow your career"

Current Employee - Consulting in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Consulting in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented professionals in the industry work here. Fun work environment. Lots of challenging projects to work on. Many opportunities to grow and learn. Good benefits and pay. Company is growing leaps and bounds.

Cons

If you don't do well and can't work well in a fast paced, high performance team environment this might not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the amazing training and learning opportunities going!

6. "SecureState: A Tremendous Opportunity"

Current Employee - Regional Director in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SecureState represents a great sales opportunity for those who are willing to work hard and are driven to learn and success. As an employee of SecureState for 3 + years, I can honestly say that in order to work for the best company in the industry, you need to be the best at what you do. It is tough but very rewarding. SecureState is management consulting company specializing in security and recognized as the best in the industry for security. SecureState is a work hard/play hard environment with a team mentality.

Cons

New employees need to put a great deal of time in for the first year or two. But this is truly an investment in yourself. Not for everyone which may be considered a con. One may think that getting into the best company in a high growth industry may allow for a high income coupled with less effort. This is couldn't be further from the truth. It is definitely not an order taking organization and really never will be. One possible con: I'd like to be able to work out of my house but understand the importance of being in the office. It would be very difficult to learn all that you need to know and be successful unless you spend time in the office.

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day I started, everyone was happy and friendly. I thought, it's my first day so they are being overly nice and happy. I have to say in the 3 years I have been with SecureState, 99% of the time that is what you see every day! Of course everyone has bad days.

I have worked for several companies in the past, I know a good thing when I see it. Our CEO and CFO have an open door policy. We have a suggestion box which is completely anonymous and a committee that meets once a month to review and implement if they feel it is worthy (several items have been implemented).

We work hard (this is not a 9 – 5 job, lots of hours are put in), and we are recognized for our efforts. We often have cook-outs for lunch, and after-hour events throughout the year, we even have a family picnic. We have monthly meetings as a company, to brief us on what is happening (you may be acknowledged at one of them). We also have semi-annual mandatory meetings that discuss the future and what we have done as a whole since the last meeting. We have company cars that you are able to use when traveling to and from a client. We have a generous amount of PTO to balance our work and personal time. These are just some of the great things you will see here at SecureState.

Depending on your position you may have the opportunity to be interviewed by local media. They are here often.

The best decision I have ever made in my working career was to commit to SecureState when offered a position. There has not been a day that I have woken up and thought I didn’t want to come to work (other than because of being tired).

Cons

None that I can think of, honestly.

"Be ready to work hard, learn a lot, and never be recognized for the effort"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the absolute smartest people I've ever had the privilege of working with. The work was always cutting-edge and exciting. The skills you learn at SecureState will ultimately lead to greater opportunities elsewhere. You just have to learn to stick-it-out until that happens.

Cons

You may work like a dog and produce amazing results, but don't expect your compensation to increase beyond +5% per year (company policy). Bonuses consist of holiday hams (seriously) & after-hours alcohol (on-site). You won't fit-in with management unless you're willing to buy-in to the notion that "coolness" is much more valued than "expertise".

Advice to Management

Consider valuing non-consulting employees. Consultants may be killing it in the field, but they wouldn't have engagements without the hard work of your administrative staff. Marginalizing them will continue the immense turnover rate at SecureState.

"Turnover Nightmare!"

Former Employee - Sales in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Bar on premise
    - Occasional after-hours events
    - Summer cookouts
    - Fully stocke kitchen

Cons

- Churn and burn environment. They go through employee's like water through a sieve. Look on other b-to-b peer websites and see how many former employee's they have. You'll be amazed
    - Reviews posted on here were all posted on the same date after a negative review was posted...h-m-m-m, very suspicious.
    - They want you to learn the Sandler Sales system but don't enroll you in a formal program. They give you cd's and expect you to learn from that. You never see it work in action. I asked repeatedly to see how the process works from start to finish and was never shown how it works.
    - Very poor marketing ideas. They think they are a Silicon Valley company. They spend tons of money on marketing campaigns that don't work. This is not the fault of the marketing department, but as a result of the ego of the owner.
    - They ask you to devote the time to develop a market strategy and campaign, but don't allow you the time to do so. If they ask you to develop a specific market, they want results within weeks. Sorry boys, it takes a minimum of a year to do that.
    - You're asked to do a 30-60-90 day review and if you don't possess the knowledge of the owner, you will be insulted upon completion. He's big on ego and insults, constantly reminding you that you're not as smart as him and you should be lucky to work there.
    - They have no effective way to support their sales staff and help them get in doors. They hired a telemarketing firm to try to set up appointments, but they do just as poorly as the sales staff.
    - One salesperson actually said to me "I don't cold call. I don't like to do. I just take the calls that come in." Unbelieveable! To that point, 85% of their business is repeat business. Very little effort to establish new business contacts. Perhaps that's why growth in the company is stagnant.

Advice to Management

- Doesn't matter. When you have an ego the size of this company's owner, advice is just wasted.

- If this company is so great to work for as the reviews suggest (again, all posted on the same day) why do you have so many ex-employees. Can't all be the fault of the employee.

- People are relived to be out of this company. Ask yourself why?

10. "Opportunities Always Present Themselves for those who seek them"

Current Employee - Privacy Officer, Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Privacy Officer, Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

I left a very lucrative position in a $100 billion dollar financial institution to expand my resume' and for personal growth. SecureState has offered that and more: Learning on steroids while leveraging existing experience. This is the best of both worlds, productive immediately with numerous growth opportunities.

Cons

Working for a small company has it's pros and cons: nimble and without red tape, sometimes lacks strucuture. Structure cripples many companies and the government, but I think there is a happy medium.

Advice to Management

Leadership is solid and appears to have a keen eye for industry trends. Need to not lose sight of its core value and mission as the company continues its growth.

"Good Perks, Fun Job"

I have been working at SecureState full-time

Pros

A focus primarily on independence and workplace/ job satisfaction. There are many perks to working here including the freedom, fun environment, and laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes a bit too laid back, but never to the detriment of client relations or satisfaction. Pay is low compared to national averages.

Advice to Management

Slightly more detail on when projects are due, what is expected and involvement at the lower level.