SecureState Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Ken Stasiak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good opportunity to learn"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Cleveland, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity, flexibility, fast-paced, cutting edge

Cons

micro-managing, low wages, limited advancement

"If you are not in, you are out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home, nice offices, some very nice people.

Cons

Lack of staff and managment diveristy, no clear direction for experienced professionals, lots of busy work if they dont have a plan for you, out of control middle management. The owner drives a truck emblazend with the phrase, " Redneck Hacker" on the rear window. Appears to not really have a clue as to how offensive that is.. Lacks any real leadership skills, unless he likes you or has something in common with you.

Advice to Management

Diversify and engage with people on your team, even if you dont know them.

Oct 6, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comment. SecureState has a 30,60,90-day program for new hires along with weekly meetings, in addition to our semiannual formal review process. During these touch points numerous... More

"Good Perks, Fun Job"

I have been working at SecureState full-time

Pros

A focus primarily on independence and workplace/ job satisfaction. There are many perks to working here including the freedom, fun environment, and laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes a bit too laid back, but never to the detriment of client relations or satisfaction. Pay is low compared to national averages.

Advice to Management

Slightly more detail on when projects are due, what is expected and involvement at the lower level.

"Recommend SecureState!"

Current Employee - Account Managmeent
    Current Employee - Account Managmeent

Pros

The Information Security industry is rapidly expanding and SecureState has provided me the opportunity to grow with the industry. Since joining SecureState in 2008 I have grown professionally and in my knowledge of information security. I personally find assisting my clients to become more secure challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Working in an industry and an organization that is fast paced and ever changing is not for everyone. SecureState changes to remain a leader in the industry and individuals must be willing and able to handle this change.

Also, attention to detail is beneficial for those working at SecureState.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be a leader in the industry! Employee education and retainment are key and should be areas of focus. .

Aug 28, 2015 – Senior Accountant

As a leader in the information security industry, SecureState has set itself apart from the pack by talent and the ability to allow its employees to grow as fast and as far as they can.
    Change is... More

"No training, No guidance, No ownership and No leadership = big issues"

Pros

respectable benefit offerings, but stingy on overall salary
    great vision (awkward execution)

Cons

Title says most of it.
    "90-day" plan is a joke to both senior management (who incidentally won't show up for your review, but then recommend your termination because of it) and to the "veteran" employees.
    The sad part is there are some serious people at the firm with a lot of great experience---they just don't like to "train" or "lead" or "mentor" or "guide" and would prefer to not see clients at all.
    The "culture" is more supportive of being sure to hit the bar at 3pm daily rather than be available for questions, guidance, or assistance.
    Be careful as anything you say can ("will") be used against you.

Advice to Management

Fix the training program (ie. hire somebody skilled in the art)
    Hire HR--a "talent management" doesn't cut it
    Take ownership--some of the "senior" management is dead weight and could be easily replaceable by more deserving employees.
    If you say you are going to do something, just freaking do it.

Aug 19, 2015 – Manager Recruiting

SecureState’s 90-Day Training program is designed to provide our company with top-performing employees who want to build upon the success of their first three months. Much like any organization or... More

6. "Great Company to Advance Your Career Quickly"

I have been working at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a top ranked management consulting firm specializing in information security. To be the best they only hire and keep top performers. This is the primary reason I continue to work at SecureState. The employees on staff are the best in the industry. I don't agree with most of the negative reviews and assume they are from disgruntled under performers. We work with well known clients large and small. Work life balance is great. Like myself, consultants average 44 hours per week even when travelling. Travel is lower than the other consulting firms I have worked for. Promotions and raises have come quickly, sometimes twice in a year if performing well. Monthly employee events, dogs at work, a bar, game room, snacks, popcorn machine, icee machine, etc is icing on the cake.

Cons

Working with the best in the industry is challenging and fast paced. It's not meant for everyone. If you just want a job it is not a good environment. SecureState wants employees who are continuously improving their skills and advancing their careers.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on growing the company like you have consistently done over the past 10 years. Continue the focus on exceeding customer expectations and keeping the 98% customer satisfaction rating. Keep listening to the employees and improving the company.

Aug 19, 2015 – Manager Recruiting

At SecureState, the name of our company is our product and our reputation. Like all highly successful companies, SecureState is known for hiring top performers, and helping them to advance their... More

7. "Workings towards great things"

I have been working at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As previously mentioned, this company has gone through quite a few growing pains over the years. However, they have come out stronger and better than ever in the last couple of years. Things are fast paced and change a lot, which is why some top talent has left and we have the multiple mentions of high turnover. But, the people that stick around are the right fit for the company and you can tell by how much the mood has shifted over the last few years. People seem truly happy and helpful these days. While they ask a lot, there's also a fun and family-like office culture that balances everything out.

Cons

Extremely fast paced with a lot of change. You always have to be thinking two steps ahead. The CEO isn't comfortable with complacency so it isn't the sort of place where you can sit back and take it easy. The job takes a lot of time and effort if you want to get ahead.

Advice to Management

After a couple of tough years with lots of change, we finally seem to be in our sweet spot. Keep things going the way they have been and we'll accomplish great(er) things.

Aug 19, 2015 – Manager Recruiting

Like any successful organization, SecureState has gone through growing pains. But rather than dial-back expectations, SecureState raises the bar to push its employees to achieve a high level of... More

"SecureState"

Pros

Fun atmosphere in office. Nice co-workers, everyone tries to be helpful.

Cons

Long hours, lousy pay, extremely high turnover.

Aug 19, 2015 – Manager Recruiting

At SecureState, it’s our “work hard/play hard” attitude which helps set our company up for success. Our dedicated and top-performing employees help build our company’s successful foundation, and we... More

9. "A ton of experience in a short amount of time"

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

Pros

Great Benefits
    Pet Friendly
    Bar in the Back
    Training Opportunities
    Fast paced

Cons

High turnover
    Pay frequency
    Parking
    Company is still young so there are growing pains

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to be the best. Don't lose that fire.

"Unprofessional, Lots of work and no recognition"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bedford, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bedford, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Security Industry

Bar in back, social environment for after hours

Had some very talented security professionals

Great facilities

Was great at one time, hate to see this.

Cons

Many of top staff have left, had such talented people at one time.

Unprofessional behavior with CEO, lots of negative feed back.

Cannot remember positive feed back. Many employees working long hours for "what took you so long".

More of a frat Vs. an office environment.

Poor IT environment, for a security was surprising how little they let us spend on infrastructure.

Ethic's not the highest with client issues, bill as much as you can as often as you can.

Advice to Management

Employees are you only real asset in a Consulting Company. Hope they do well there are still some good people there, but less every day.