Shane Co. Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2021

3.9
Shane Co. Executive Chairman & President 	Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Pros
  • "The best jewelry store in Atlanta(in 28 reviews)

• "Great pay, extensive training, one team one company culture(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Must be able to function as an extrovert, retail hours, micromanagement(in 29 reviews)

• "A satisfying work-life balance was elusive(in 25 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Read this if you are on the fence about working here."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am writing this review for those who are on the fence about working for ShaneCo. This is what I wish I would have known about the company before coming on and the reasons I still come to work happy most days. My number one pro for working for ShaneCo is that they care. I started as a sales associate and worked my way up through ShaneCo. to become a Store Manager. Hardwork does payoff and most everyone I know in the company was promoted from within. But, you will be surrounded by good talent so don't think it is a cakewalk. Pay was good when I took the job and has gotten better. Benefits are exceptional. I have had two kids since working for ShaneCo. and both required special care and treatment and my benefits took care of it. ShaneCo. sent me gifts and cards when my children were born and gave me significant paid time off. When loved ones died, they sent care packages. They have helped me move, listened to advice and feedback that I have given and implemented it, and they have been honest with me. I have been denied promotions I thought I earned, gotten good performance reviews, and not so good performance reviews. But, ShaneCo has been honest with me and worked with me. They have helped me know my strengths and my weaknesses. They have invested a great deal in my growth and development. And, I have worked hard for ShaneCo. The company is constantly growing and adapting. This is both a pro and a con. It can be stressful to go through constant change but it is what is required to stay top in the industry. You will work with happy people most all of the time and you will really grow to love your coworkers. The noncommission environment is great and really makes a different. The company provides food, unexpected bonuses, and paid days off to serve in your community. You will have major holidays off and in most roles your time off is respected and you don't have to worry about work. If you are in a more senior role, you will be on call a lot but compensated well. The company will push you and the higher you go up in management the more you will be pushed. Don't make in mistake, ShaneCo is the nations largest privately owned jeweler for a reason. You will have to work hard to advance. There is a lot of talk about playing favorites in the comments about ShaneCo. I have worked in 7 different markets with ShaneCo. They do not play favorites but those who are cultural and work hard will be recognized and rewarded. This can be seen as playing favorites at times but is generally not the case. ShaneCo. is a challenging place to work. And, I mean that in a good way. It is retail. It is jewelry. It is an imperfect company. But, it is a company that cares, that is innovative, tries to improve, and will be honest with you and reward hard work. You will be surrounded by talent. If you think you are something special, you will be challenged. ShaneCo is a fantastic place to work. But, be ready to work. Be ready to take criticism, be pushed, and adapt to a constantly changing environment with a strong set of core values. ShaneCo is not a easy job. But, it is a rewarding career if you are willing to work and taking coaching.

Cons

ShaneCo is not the perfect fit for everyone. In my time at ShaneCo I have seen many people succeed and many people fail. Those that fail, are usually good people but were unaware of some of the cons of working for ShaneCo. ShaneCo is a retail job. We are here to serve customer needs. This requires working a lot of weekends, later evenings, and holiday blackout times. Most people shop when they are off from their 9-5 job. You will feel micromanaged. We, in management, try to avoid this but you are heavily coached in ShaneCo on almost everything you do. Some will be good coaching and some not so good. But, it is part of the culture. Be honest with yourself, if you don't like a lot of feedback and just want to be free to do your own thing. ShaneCo. may not be a good fit for you. If you do not like sales, you will not like ShaneCo. ShaneCo is very, very different than most sales jobs. Not being on commission, caring for the customer, etc. are all very different in ShaneCo. But, nearly all jobs in the company require some sales effort and attempt to persuade customers to buy from us. If that is not you, you will not enjoy this job. You will have to roleplay a lot, work-hard, and be pushed. Quick advancement into management is not the norm. But, this is because you will be surrounded by talent and ShaneCo has a high employee retention rate. If you want an easy job where you don't face criticism and can do your own thing, then ShaneCo is not for you. Most people say they want to be challenged. But, when they are, they get really upset and defensive. Do a hardlook in yourself before taking this job and make sure you are ready to be pushed, work retail hours, and wait for an opportunity. If you are, you may have found your career. If not, you may want to keep looking.

November 15, 2020Chief Human Resources Officer

This review is incredible advice to those considering working here. THANK YOU for sharing it!

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - CSA I in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Shane Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and culture here

Cons

Retail hours and weekend hours

January 14, 2021Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Team, Leadership, Opportunities. Great company to work for and has great benefits and employee discounts. You dont just do tier 1 stuff all day and actually learn new stuff and get to work with various teams on different projects.

Cons

cant think of any right now

January 7, 2021Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback!

4. "Good benefits, didn’t treat employees very well"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Shane Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, bonuses were nice if you could get them

Cons

Very gossipy, leadership would throw you under the bus to not look bad for management

5. "Shane Co"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time

Pros

good atmosphere great team envoirnemnt

Cons

not too many cons at all

January 18, 2021Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for taking time to write a review!

6. "Former Employee"

1.0
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot for the short time i was there . . . Made a few mistakes, which was frowned upon . . . Showed up to work everyday, most days early and stood late . . . took good notes . . .

Cons

I was not trained very well and thrown in the front line with very little training . . . did not have much of social life cause the hours are brutal . . . Management is thanking you one minute, then on the other hand they stabbing you in the back . . . way too much micromanagement . . . they have cameras in your work area so They can monitor employees with cameras to make sure you are working . . . I only saw management in the building less 3 times while worked there for 3 mths. This job is under paid and over worked, the expectations and the demands are very high since this company is about money. . . I am glad that I am no longer a part of this company . . .

December 28, 2020Chief Human Resources Officer

I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not one you felt positive about. Feel free to reach out to your HR Manager (Stacey) or to me personally if there is more you would like to share.

7. "One of the best companies to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

-growth within the company -strong focus on employee development -great culture -great benefits for employees

Cons

-working evenings/weekends. BUT the hours for these are still easier to manage a work life balance than most retail companies.

November 12, 2020Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! It means a lot when someone who is in a management role and is focusing on the development of others takes time to point out the company's focus on employee development! Balance is difficult with retail hours to be sure but we agree it is better here than most retailers.

8. "volunteer day"

Current Employee - Bench Jeweler

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

we recently used a company allotted paid volunteer day to put together backpacks for the Kids in Need Foundation and it was so good and fun!

Cons

no thank you i am good

November 15, 2020Chief Human Resources Officer

We are so glad you were able to utilize your volunteer time for KINF!

"Easily the best job I’ve ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive, hardworking, diverse cultural environment

Cons

No cons to list at this time.

October 23, 2020Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We are glad you are having a good experience!

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Diamond Consultant in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Shane Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

The customers and the incredibly knowledgeable and forthright powers that be

Cons

I can’t think of any off the top of my head

November 13, 2020Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for this great feedback!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 326 English Reviews