Shoe Show Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shoe Show President Robert Tucker
Robert Tucker

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, discount on merchandise, comfortable uniform (in 6 reviews)

• Had an awesome district manager (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Working every weekend is annoying being a key holder (in 14 reviews)

• And that dollar extra is from minimum wage (in 13 reviews)

1. "Bosses who care"

Current Employee - Truck Loader in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Truck Loader in Concord, NC

I have been working at Shoe Show full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Didn't realize how much they care

Cons

Not thinking that they care

Advice to Management

No matter what we hear at the warehouse use the God given mind to judge for yourself management are loving caring people with that being said management please keep up the good work because I've come to learn that not do you guys run a business your hearts are in the right place thank you

2. "If you think this is a good job then your desperate like me."

Current Employee - Key Holder in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Shoe Show part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of management is friendly and you can learn some tips on selling and organizing... For when you quit and get a new job. Also can progress quickly into a new position.

Cons

Corporate is just plain dumb. They transfer shoes that your selling and give you shoes that you have already had in the store for months to years. Very rarely do new shoes come in. It's just a rotation of the same shoes which is annoying for both you and the customer. Pay is also a problem. You can progress quickly but that doesn't get you anywhere. You just end up doing way more work for a dollar extra. And that dollar extra is from minimum wage. In my case too my manager is lazy and I have to do half of his job just so the store stays open and somewhat clean enough to sell shoes.

3. "Sales associate as of today."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Shoe Show part-time

Pros

Being able to help families with their shoes needs.

Cons

Terrible key holder. She has no customer service skills. She has very poor communication skills and no organization skills. Without being able to accomplish these skills you will never keep customers or staff coming back.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees.

5. "Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shoe Show full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome manager, Vicky. She always listened and gave great advice. They have health screenings which is nice and food trucks at lunch.

Cons

Where to begin. As a designer, I don't love dressing up for work. With that said, the dress code is that of corporate America. There is a very strict bell schedule which dictates when you get a break and when you need to be at your desk. No snacking at your desk. If you're late to work more than 3 times (1 min or less) before the next holiday, you lose that paid holiday. They expect the designers to be photographers. The majority of the job is taking photos and removing the background for posting online. Very, very little designing.

Advice to Management

Hire a photographer.

6. "Management in a retail enviroment"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at Shoe Show full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'd say the pro's are if you are competent and trusted by your supervisor, there's not as much overseeing as I've had with other jobs. Most of the people you meet are so much fun. Makes your day to be able to provide someone with what they are looking for, then see them return and bring a friend

Cons

A lot is expected from management in this company. Not much help from above supervisors when you lose some of your key staff and have difficulty replacing them. It's like pulling teeth to get an ad run for help!

Advice to Management

If you are independent, self starter and willing to put in a lot of time and work, then this position is for you. This is hands on management, not just dole out tasks and stand back, be prepared to be a participant

7. "Great place to work"

I worked at Shoe Show full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Shoe Show is a great place to work. I was store manager for 7 years. Had an awesome district manager. Not hard labor. Get shipment once a week. No major floor moves. Not alot of displays to change.

Cons

Managers work alot by yourself. Especially during January, February and September and October. Of course those months are very slow months for retail.

Advice to Management

Raise the percentage of payroll allowed.

8. "Store Manager"

I worked at Shoe Show full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. I had a great district manager as well as a great regional manager. All though they do not give enough hours for the part time employees, that goes with all retail stores. The pay is not great but it is ok for the work you do.

Cons

Not enough hours for part time employees
    Pay

9. "Great company but needs to update"

Former Employee - Manager in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Manager in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Shoe Show part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people working at this company. Some recent policy changes are very positive. Seems to be financially sound which is a plus.

Cons

Old school
    Work life balance needs attention
    Scheduling too many last minute changes to meet goals makes it very difficult to plan life.

Advice to Management

Spend some time learning what really goes on in the field.

10. "One thing after another."

Current Employee - AP Order Puller in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - AP Order Puller in Concord, NC

I have been working at Shoe Show part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Will work will my school schedule. Get a lot of paid time off after the first year that you work.

Cons

Went to part time and they wouldn't cancel my health insurance that was 300 a month through them.

When my yearly evaluation came around to get my raise they told me since I moved to another position I would have to wait three additional months to get my raise. Its been four months now and still haven't seen a raise.

Managers will jerk you around.

You never work the hours you think you are going to. When I was full time we almost never were able to work 40 hours.

Very cold in winter, and there is no air conditioning in the summer and people will pass out.

Warehouse is extremely nasty. It feels like I get sick everyday when I walk in the door.

They "mess" up with vacation time and short your holiday pay.

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say.

11. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I worked at Shoe Show full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience, commission is good during the holidays

Cons

Stay away from this company at all costs. It is run like it's still the 80s. The company doesn't even have a simple email system. Pay is horrible, workloads are huge, benefits are minimal. Someone in my store had a death in the family. She had sick time she wanted to use, but the company wouldn't let her use it to attend the funeral and wake because she wasn't sick. Disgusting.

Advice to Management

Update systems. Pay employees better. Offer better benefits.