Signpost Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Signpost Founder and CEO Stuart Wall
Stuart Wall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Super fun place to work--company happy hours and activities" (in 29 reviews)

• "Signpost is a great place to work" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Base salary is completely ridiculous for NYC and the quota goals are unrealistic" (in 18 reviews)

• "Compensation for an entry level rep can be a little low but it is an initial job for a recent college graduate" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An incredible vehicle for success."

Current Employee - Strategic Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Strategic Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• High-Volume Cold Call Sales – While most wouldn't list this as a Pro, it is the specific reason Signpost helps employees new to sales, not only grasp it, but to excel in it. The volume gives loads of experience in a very short period of time. It's also an excellent challenge.

• World-Class Training – If you are hired at Signpost in the first place, and don't make it through the training program (A 2-Month Ramp with every resource available,) it's because you didn't work hard enough.

• There isn't room for everyone, and Signpost is a meritocracy. – This is a Pro for me, because I believe in surrounding yourself with the best of the best. Signpost is a lean machine, and doesn't have room for slack. They're forgiving, but if you can't hit your numbers, you're out!

Cons

• You're working in a Start-up! – Adaptability is a must. There is constant change, and some people are left behind when they can't adapt.

• Mediocre Communication – This can always improve. While all companies have to keep their cards close to their chest, oftentimes it feels as if you don't know what's actually going on behind the scenes, as most information from the VPs is only delivered in a monthly All Company Meeting.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus more & more on the well being of your employees! People who stay at Signpost, stay for the people. Happy employees are passionate employees!

2. "In a sea of promises from potential employers, Signpost delivers"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time

Pros

Management will support you without being all over you. Allowing you to manage your pipeline, without daily audits about that deal from Jan.... The company culture and its people are the best Iv seen thus far. They do not cut corners. Every few weeks I find myself at a Rooftop open Bar, Picnic's, Boat Cruise....Bagels on Tuesdays, Birthday Cakes are made to order, the competition is friendly, the prizes are aggressive....the location is perfect. The owner actually waits in line for a bagel when they get delivered with the staff. He doesn't post that he does that on his IG, so I'm going to assume its genuine. The tech here is first class.

Cons

The Coffee Machine spews vile tasting coffee. It can get a little loud in there between the music and constant applauding from deals being sold all day. I guess its a nice problem to have. Its really hard work and you will be cold calling, but if you can sell under those conditions, you will be paid more here than all the others guys in this space I checked out.

Advice to Management

I could not ask for better management, this is anonymous, believe me I would tee off right here if I had any issues,

"Great place to build a career in sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Training is great
    - People you work with are awesome to be around
    - Product your selling is relevant
    - Ability to get promoted quickly

Cons

- Pay can be higher

4. "All about the people!"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Signpost has a wonderful team. CEO is engaged and really wants to make a difference for small businesses. The team is supportive and engaged. Leaders listen to employees. Not everything can change but they try.

Cons

Hard work not made for everyone. Sales has to cold call which can be hard.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication going.

5. "Great Company, Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Invaluable sales experience for a company that is still very much in a startup mentality.

Uncapped commission, and tremendous training!

Everyone from new hires to the most senior sales execs have the same opportunity to close the same deals.

Tons of opportunity to grow as a sales exec but also to move into management if that is your desire.

Cons

It is a startup and we do have sales goals, so turnover obviously happens, but accountability is not always a bad thing in this regard.

Advice to Management

I think accountability and culture are two vital avenues for any sales org, so keep striving to strengthen those vehicles.

"Good place to start your sales experience"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment and some great people. Product is amazing and only getting better, so it's easy to believe in what you're selling. Smaller company, so your voice can be heard without going through a million hoops.

Good place to sharpen your sales skills if you're just starting out.

Team outings and events are always a great time. Really helps you bond with everyone in the office. Really some great people that work here.

Cons

They still hide behind the "we're a still a start up" excuse when they make ill advised decisions or changes. Unfortunately the company has passed that stage and needs to acknowledge it.

There is really no leadership development or training, so most managers are learning on the fly and are not fully prepared when they first start. They'll pretty much hire anyone that has a personality and a willingness to learn, which does not always translate to performance.

The "bro" culture that is mentioned in other reviews is very much real, especially in the Denver office. It is a culture perpetuated from top down, so it's hard to change. The lack of diversity is also a joke, especially for a call center. There is really no true female leadership, so many women in the office feel they need to have their own chat to voice their concerns amongst each other.

Sometimes moves are made without any true thought, so a job title can be created or removed at any time. If you're not willing to switch positions at the drop of that change you may be asked to leave. It has gotten better but it still exists.

Understand that this is a company looking to get acquired, so this will more than likely not be a long term option for a career.

Advice to Management

Get some sort of leadership development program installed.
    Enhance training
    Have a more stringent hiring process
    Add some diversity to the floor and leadership

7. "Pretty Fly For A Startup"

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun atmosphere
    -Convenient location downtown
    -Young workforce
    -Generous PTO
    -Constantly improving, ever-changing product
    -Managment is open to new ideas
    -Collaboration with other businesses
    -Working with SMBs

Cons

-Moderate turnover (even though this is normal for any startup)
    -Regulated pay (commission structure is constantly revised)

8. "Great for creating your sales base with in-depth training and managerial support"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You'll receive the best sales training out there with great support from the manager teams. It is hard work, and a grind but you will develop skills that only a seasoned salesperson can achieve.
    - Fun happy hour events, quarterly outings as an office, monthly outings as a team, snacks and a keg, an overall fun and engaging community. Worked at the Denver office for almost two years, some of the best people I know were from Signpost.
    - Adequate ramp up process for new hires
    - close to downtown
    - Very chill and laid back environment: no micromanaging, no dress code or requirements, play whatever music you want, themed dress days, understanding managers, flexible time off schedule.
    -Health benefits at Signpost are above average compared to other tech start ups

*** The managers at Signpost truly are the reason I stayed as long as I did, Sales is a grind and the closing positions at SP can be incredibly daunting, disappointing, and exhausting. But the support and friendship I got from my managers pushed me to work hard, reach my potential, and improve my overall sales skills.

Cons

- Ramping up from sales development to closer there was no training process for that, resulted in two months of giving demos with an incredibly low close rate. Not so much as a power point for transitioning roles. That was a year ago, now they may have changed that but it greatly affected my pay check.
    - The product itself can only go so far, and same goes with the job opportunities there. Once when you get promoted 2-3 times (which is really just a pay raise) there isn't much opportunity for growth in the company unless you become a manager.
    - The Signpost product is becoming less relevant, its an exciting tool for a company that needs it, and really does help our customers, but I have trouble seeing the value of keeping it after 2 years.
    - The daily dials are a grind, staying in the cold calling position for me was only worth it until I learned everything I could, then it was time for something new. The day to day gets repetative
    - The pay base is pretty low, to get a higher pay base you need to consistently hit quota for 3-4 months, if you have two back to back slow months, you are stuck in your pay base for now 6+ months because you then start from square one

Advice to Management

- Hire more account managers, I talked to many SP clients that didn't feel they were getting the assistance or customer support they needed, the team you have is great so invest in building it.
    -Find a way to make the product more relevant, partnership I feel should be a major priority
    - Change the promotion structure to look at the rep's performance over the course of the quarter and not month to month. Too many reps have amazing months back to back and its discouraging when you don't qualify for a pay raise you clearly deserve just because you had a few (normal) hiccups in your sales career.
    -Buy new microwaves - you pay a lot for a keg, a majority of the office would gladly give up a keg or two to have better appliances.

"Sales Representative"

I have been working at Signpost full-time

Pros

Signpost is an awesome place to work! Not only does everyone have your back in a usually very cut-throat, competitive environment, but colleagues go above and beyond to ensure you are successful. The work/life balance is also amazing. I honestly enjoy coming in to work day in and day out to not only crush the phones, but also spend time with the many friends I have made. There are several company wide bonding events that really bring everyone closer. And if you enjoy some ping-pong and some Friday afternoon keg action, you are in the right place!!

Cons

I spend too much time by the popcorn machine

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of good people, training is top notch and the culture is great. The product works well and solves problems for small businesses.

Cons

Startups and sales aren't for everyone but if you're the right fit, this place is great.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!