Signpost Reviews | Glassdoor

Signpost Founder and CEO Stuart Wall
Stuart Wall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Let me start with their unlivable base salary in NYC" (in 19 reviews)

• "High-stakes: This comes with the territory of any sales job, but it is a high stakes and high stress job" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An incredible vehicle for success."

Current Employee - Strategic Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Strategic Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• High-Volume Cold Call Sales – While most wouldn't list this as a Pro, it is the specific reason Signpost helps employees new to sales, not only grasp it, but to excel in it. The volume gives loads of experience in a very short period of time. It's also an excellent challenge.

• World-Class Training – If you are hired at Signpost in the first place, and don't make it through the training program (A 2-Month Ramp with every resource available,) it's because you didn't work hard enough.

• There isn't room for everyone, and Signpost is a meritocracy. – This is a Pro for me, because I believe in surrounding yourself with the best of the best. Signpost is a lean machine, and doesn't have room for slack. They're forgiving, but if you can't hit your numbers, you're out!

Cons

• You're working in a Start-up! – Adaptability is a must. There is constant change, and some people are left behind when they can't adapt.

• Mediocre Communication – This can always improve. While all companies have to keep their cards close to their chest, oftentimes it feels as if you don't know what's actually going on behind the scenes, as most information from the VPs is only delivered in a monthly All Company Meeting.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus more & more on the well being of your employees! People who stay at Signpost, stay for the people. Happy employees are passionate employees!

"Great company to be apart of"

Current Employee - Strategic Senior Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Strategic Senior Sales Executive

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and fun environment to work
    Tons of she's training and coaching to help you become a great sales rep
    Open line of communication to executives and managers
    Great office location

Cons

No real marketing of the product, most clients don't know what signpost is after hearing the name so it makes it harder when pitching product, it's something that can definitely be overcame but something to consider nonetheless

3. "Great place to learn and grown your sales skill set!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training Program - one of the best sales training programs I have been a part of in my sales career. You get a lot of hands-on training in the job and I definitely felt that I was set up for success in the role. The job can be challenging but I felt supported and confident after going through the first couple weeks of training.

Culture/People - really welcoming environment. Phone sales is tough so you need good people next to you and I feel that we have that in our office. Everyone is willing to help out and answer questions and the group seems to really care about each other.

Cons

It's a tough job so you have to work really hard to be successful, especially early on. If you want to make great commission, be willing to put in a ton of effort and you should be able to make it with the help from training and management

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback and trying to improve!

4. "Awesome Work Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome People to work around

Cons

Can be challenging to get over the hump

5. "Sales executive"

I worked at Signpost full-time

Pros

Start up environment is fun and electric. The C-level leadership is great and it’s mainly a young crowd. Early to mid 20s.

Cons

The training and training manager isn’t accessible or as dedicated in seeing you succeed. The sales floor is high energy and that is great when it’s positive but when it turns into negative energy it can be determintal to your success. The company itself is on the up but the training needs to be more precise. I recall some sessions it felt like it was just put together aimlessly and not as organized. Since it’s a small location that one negative factor did affect an otherwise great atmosphere.

Advice to Management

The training managers represent the company and a bit more professionalism should be displayed. As a leader, they should know what is appropriate to say and what isn’t. Retraining on effective communication would help.

6. "Really Miss This Place!"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Best sales training program in Denver - Seriously, I've worked at a few sales orgs since, and have always felt like I had the best foundation. The training program is thorough, and the skills I developed here made a huge impact at my job now. I wouldn't have been able to succeed without the foundation I learned at SP.
    *The people - Met some of my best friends here, still hang out to this day. Genuinely good people that help you push through the grind.
    *Management - Local management cares, and always wants to make sure you're being heard, and my manager always went to bat for me to hit my goal. Execs were less present, but never difficult to get a hold of them if you wanted, usually came by once a quarter.
    *Product is solid - Having sold a few other products since SP, I feel way better about the product than when I was there and only focused on my merchants that cancelled. It's not perfect, but compared to other solutions it really is a good solution.

Cons

*Job is HARD - When I was interviewing, they told me the job was hard, and I didn't take them seriously. It's not impossible, but it takes a lot of hard work to do well. If you can hack it, you get back what you put in 2x though.
    *Pay could be better - Wish the base salary was higher, but the commissions were always pretty strong.
    *Job is not only hard, but can be monotonous - The grind is by far the hardest part of the job. Selling is only half the battle, the second half is staying motivated week after week, month after month. Again, this is a necessary skill for any type of sales, so I'm glad I learned it.

Advice to Management

*Less change - The more you switch things up, the harder it is to get into a groove. Play to your strengths.
    *More pay - Level up the base

7. "National Sales Executive"

Current Employee - National Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - National Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training, Benefits, Food & Snacks, Upward Growth, Potential to make some good money, goal oriented, M-F work, good group of people to work with.

Cons

Tough work, but rewarding. This is a pro in a lot of ways. Just be prepared to learn and put your best foot forward. Low starting salary, but if you perform, you can change that quick. Do not be discouraged by the base.

Advice to Management

Everything is pretty good. Support is good and the team aspect is definitely in place. The resources to learn and stay on one's game is all there.

8. "Difficult, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Signpost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Note: This review is from the perspective of a sales position

- Autonomy: A major benefit of Signpost is that you get to manage your sales funnel (prospect to close) by yourself. No need to start off as an SDR for a few months - within the first few weeks you can close your own deals. Additionally, at Signpost, you can pitch ANY kind of small business. This aspect lends itself to an interesting job that has no lack of variety (in the morning you can be talking to home contractors and in the afternoon you can be talking to yoga studio owners - there's no way you can get bored talking to the different kinds of personalities of these people). Plus, you get to learn about the different industries.

- Work Culture/Mission: Everyone on the sales floor has your back - from your fellow salesman, up through management, and even the VP and Director. It doesn't matter whose team you're on, everyone wants you to succeed. Additionally, Signpost has a clearly defined mission: help small businesses grow. You can feel that (at least for senior management) the company actually believes in this mission - plenty of them use Signpost for their own side businesses.

- Phenomenal training program: Signpost has an awesome training program. You learn everything you need to know about sales in the first few weeks, and within the first month you can make your own sale (even starting from no sales experience). Something that's great about the training program is that you get to learn from ALL the managers. You learn about different sales techniques and styles, while still developing your own. Part of this is that all the managers know exactly what they're doing; all the managers (and senior reps) are exceptional sales people in their own right.

Cons

- High-stakes: This comes with the territory of any sales job, but it is a high stakes and high stress job. There are numbers and metrics that you HAVE to meet. Sure, you view this job as a standard 9-5 and leave work at work, but given the fact that we're essentially cold-calling businesses all day (all across the country), it will become necessary to stay late or come early on a somewhat regular basis. There are resources and people who will help you, but you have to make the effort to reach out. It takes a lot of effort, but you will succeed - just know what you're getting into.

- Low compensation/benefits: This is a job at a startup - so it's pretty standard that there'll be fewer benefits than your typical corporate job. That said, the starting salary is pretty low. There are fringe benefits (games, snacks, etc.) and that's great, but I'd much rather have a more traditional benefits program (better healthcare, a better retirement plan, etc.). Signpost is getting a bit old (been around for 8 years), so one would expect that these benefits would be forthcoming.

Also, I realize that this is a sales job - so most of the compensation will come from commission. But even taking that into account, the compensation does still seem to be on the lower-end.

There is plenty of opportunity at Signpost and most of the "cons" can be said about any sales job (to some extent). Just know what you're getting into and what it takes, and you won't be disappointed working here.

Advice to Management

This is a great company with some great tech - and a mission that actually resonates with plenty of people. The best advice I can give is to offer higher base salaries. This would certainly help with retaining talent, and it would give the sales reps (especially the junior ones) some peace of mind, if they're having a slow month.

9. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meritocracy. Everyone is treated fairly. Management is always available to help

Cons

There aren't any cons at signpost.

10. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost  (Less than a year)

Pros

-Amazing training program
    - Managing is supportive and helpful
    - Great environment

Cons

None that I can think of