SkillPath Reviews | Glassdoor

SkillPath Reviews

Updated Oct 29, 2019

3.5
SkillPath CEO Cameron Bishop (no image)
Cameron Bishop
Pros
  • "Great benefits, healthy happy yet professional atmosphere, room to grow, excellent training(in 9 reviews)

• "plan, casual dress, great training and coaching(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "High turnover in our sales division in the past, but leadership is working hard to fix that(in 8 reviews)

• "This trickled down to the account managers(in 6 reviews)

"A Great Company With a Great Purpose"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

SkillPath is a fantastic place to work because new leadership is engaged, empathetic, smart and best of all, they care about the well-being of their employees.

Cons

It is tough to crawl out from under bad decisions from years of mismanagement from previous leadership.

SkillPath2019-07-18

"You can’t polish a turd!"

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation and PTO are pretty decent

Cons

Seems like management is grasping at straws to keep things from completely tanking. Everyone is just working to basically stay afloat. There are many people who have gone well over a year without a raise. It was recently announced that everyone is getting a basic “cost of living increase” in December. That means some people will have gotten two raises within a year, while others have to wait well over a year just to get one pitiful 3% increase regardless of their good annual review and extra time and work. It’s definitely a slap in the face to those employees who have been putting in a lot of extra effort. If you’re not going to be shown any appreciation, there’s no point in going above and beyond. People who don’t know anything about this company would probably be very surprised by the dismal salaries a lot of employees here have. The high hopes I used to have for the executive team have completely diminished. Company culture and moral is really bad right now but management walks around like they’re in la la land and things are are good but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time in monthly meetings talking about all the great deals the sales teams are working on and all the leads they’re getting when 90% of those don’t close. There are more employees around here than just the sales people. I think it’s way past time to focus on the disfunction happening within, instead of being concerned about our community image. If a house is dirty on the inside, it doesn’t matter if it’s a mansion on the outside.

SkillPath2019-10-29
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Innovating Like Crazy!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance: Very flexible! Amazing coworkers, hard-working team Leadership is transparent, approachable. Non-profit organization Company is making tons of innovations and moving in a great direction

Cons

The vast majority of the employees are on board for an exciting future, but there are still a couple of old-school-toxic-types hanging around and doing their best to impede progress. More than ever, it seems they're fighting a losing battle, so hopefully their days are numbered.

Advice to Management

[See "Con" above]

SkillPath2019-09-12
  5. "Up and Coming IT Department"

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Mission, KS

I worked at SkillPath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CTO insists that Developers write code and do not mess with hardware (server, networking) issues; more companies should be that way. Very laid back, unstructured environment (this could be a Con to some). Allowed to work remotely from home, one day per week or as life demands. Summer Hours is a nice perk. Excellent benefits. I love the Go365 program from Humana. Dress code is very casual. Doing some very modern things with Azure Cloud, .NET, and ReactJS/Redux.

Cons

Inconsistent work remotely policy; some I.T. employees can work remotely more days per week than others, but work on the same projects. Bogged down with purging or refactoring legacy apps from a decade or more ago.

Advice to Management

CEO is an amazing change manager and is making the effort to turn SkillPath around, making it profitable again.

SkillPath2019-09-06
  6. "Too much restructuring"

Former Employee - On Site Manager

I worked at SkillPath full-time

Pros

Great place to work overall

Cons

No security, too many layoffs

SkillPath2019-09-02

"Lipstick On A Pig - Some Good - Some Bad - The Pig was at least pretty and very fun!"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Mission, KS

I worked at SkillPath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at SkillPath for 5 years. Great president. Nice facility if you work on the first floor. Good benefits but not great. Very small gym. General health and fitness activities allowed on the job. Flexible hours for me. I had a great boss. I had a great director. Technology moving in the right direction. Allowed to work from home from time to time. Cam's vision seems spot on. Work CPU was a good machine. IT support is helpful & knowledgeable. Always treated with respect. I was never yelled at by management or even heard of that happening. Always felt I could state my opinion. Safe fun environment to work at. You feel that the company does want you to be successful. Nice cafeteria. Clean restrooms. Good overall communication. Accomplishments and thank you's shared at monthly company meeting. Summer hours, give you flexibility to work a half a day on Fridays. Company communication is good. I would recommended working at SkillPath, but it's not a place you will retire from. I really tried to be fair and honest with this review. There will always be good and bad things at any place you work. Just to be clear the good out weighs the bad. And management is trying to address most of the issues.

Cons

Parking could be better. Poor lighting and no one around if you have to work late. Poor overall leadership, but not in my department. Always changing direction, moving bulls eye. Not treated equally, but all treated fairly. Mass layoff's, several in the last two years. With little to no rehires. Shuffling of employees from one department to the next. Failure to communicate. Broken promises to employees. Unhealthy work environment, there is a silent fear that one wrong step and your out the door. Management plays favorites. For example, management will takes some to lunch & out for coffee and others never get to go, which is bad practice but not a crime. Poor customer service, lack of timely response, inadequate information given to the customers, or misleading information. They treat people disrespectfully when they are let go. You are not allowed to gather all your stuff, it will be mailed to your house, with no date of possible delivery. I have seen several people let go with 20+ years of service left to cry in the parking lot. It was clear they needed to talk to a councilor. Because they were not allowed to say good-bye to their friends and not thanked for their years service and told if they have questions contact legal. Friends waved from the windows. Not much diversity or culture. When I was let go I found that employees with less years of service and lower skill set, where being paid more. Which I had suspected. Wasn't shown how I could get promoted or what path was needed to progress in my career. I put in tons of overtime and education off the job. Which in the end didn't save my job. Job titles not reflective of actual job duties. I never saw or head of anyone retiring.

Advice to Management

Do what you advertise. Have reasonable goals and deadlines. Better project management. Better access to company goals. Felt like most projects you where given you were being set up for failure. Recognize actual skill sets and employee value. I real feel you've let some serious talent go. If your going to have a layoff it would be nice to know in advance. A good practice in bigger companies. Take a real look at how you terminate employees and do layoff's. Allow for people who want an exit interview, to be heard. This would help with people running to glassdoor. Fix the job titles. Have a clear path on job duties and expectations. Help people progress in their careers. Thanks for the opportunity to work at SkillPath I will miss you guys.

SkillPath2019-08-22

"Becoming a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

The new leadership (a two-year transition process) has a clear and deliberate vision that is coming to fruition. Their focus on employee satisfaction has greatly improved the work experience and has increased trust and empathy among the departments.

Cons

There are still a few barriers between some departments. It's clear that these are being chiseled away, but this is the most prevalent issue right now.

Advice to Management

Keep building on the progress. Good stuff is happening.

SkillPath2019-04-18

"A good environment and a positive heading"

Current Employee - Business Plan Reviewer in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

First off, I only gave four stars instead of five because I think every place has room for improvement. But I've gone from working here because I needed the work to genuinely liking this place, the people I work with company-wide and the direction the company is taking. The managers and executives, all the way up to the CEO, are genuine and approachable. There are opportunities for employees to develop, to branch out and to take part in shaping the company culture. There's a lot more engagement, both without and within the company, since I started (which was before the current CEO came to the company). The silo mentality was fairly strong when I began; I won't say it's nonexistent now, but it's heading that way. There's a lot more interpersonal engagement, both horizontally and vertically, and several measures in place to keep that momentum going. The benefits are generous, as are the PTO and vacation allotments. I also like the paid day given each year for charitable work. That's a good chunk of change put behind the talk of community involvement. The new fitness center is just one part of a push for employee wellness. The overall atmosphere is casual (even the CEO wears jeans), but at the same time there's an emphasis on doing quality work and finding ways to get better.

Cons

With offices divided between two buildings, there's still a little psychological divide from time to time. That said, cross-department engagement is far better than it used to be.

Advice to Management

Keep knocking down the walls between departments. (Oh, and showers/locker rooms for the fitness center would be outstanding, please and thanks.)

SkillPath2019-03-23

"Invests in their employees"

Current Employee - Director in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

SkillPath invests in their people. The many health benefits are AMAZING. But having an employer encourage employees to better themselves through tuition reimbursement, time off to do volunteer work, incentives for physical health, access to learning materials, and personal development speaks volumes about how SkillPath feels about their employees. I feel very valued by my manager and my company as a whole.

Cons

Change is occurring at a rapid pace, that can be overwhelming and scary for staff. Onboarding improvements are in the works, but currently that area is lacking. New hire experiences vary by what department you are in.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out to employees at all levels to hear their concerns, thoughts and suggestions. The collaborative environment is what moves our ship forward! I would love to see a "Review Up" process where employees are encouraged to review the management in their own departments. Constructive feedback keeps everyone sharp!

SkillPath2019-03-14

"Nicest People Around"

Current Employee - Scheduling Coordinator in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a great experience working at SkillPath. I was allowed (and encouraged) to try new things and share ideas. The people I worked with were extremely, genuinely supportive. Operations has a great working environment. I also appreciate how much upper management has been pushing to develop employees. It's still in the early stages, but the effort is there and it's really encouraging to experience.

Cons

-It's a small company, so there aren't many job openings at any given time. -The company is still in a state of change/growth, so it can be frustrating to keep up with the changes made.

Advice to Management

All management in Operations are approachable, supportive, and genuinely kind. My only advice is to continue to do what you're doing.

SkillPath2019-03-11