Soma Intimates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Shelley Broader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, and they give store managers a lot of control (in 20 reviews)

• Generous employee discount (applies also at Chico's and WhiteHouse BlackMarket) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations from upper management (in 40 reviews)

• low pay, drama between associates (in 32 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time

Pros

Loved the consistent clients and very good discount

Cons

Not always enough work to do because it is boutique style.

"Store manager"

I have been working at Soma Intimates full-time

Pros

I love to make our clients happy when they find the perfect bra!

Cons

Direct supervisors are often times inconsistent. Trying to stay current in the age of online shopping is a challenge!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"Sales Lead Perspective"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job offers great flexibility and extensive training process and a bonus system in addition to your hourly rate

Cons

Corporate is adding responsibility without adjusting your compensation level, almost feel like you're being taken advantage of for what you're being paid.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Fun Work Place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmond, OK

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun, get to make other women feel beautiful

Cons

low pay, drama between associates

"Assistant Manager Position"

I worked at Soma Intimates full-time

Pros

High quality product, strong team that I worked with, good product knowledge training.

Cons

The communication of roles was not always made clear by higher ups in the company, and many decisions were made without adequate communication to all members affected.

Advice to Management

Better communication, better hirings procedures, better jobdescripitons.

"Was okay for a part time gig....never could make a career out of it."

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Made Friends
    Learned Customer Service and Managerial Skills

Cons

Low Pay
    Horrific attitude from DMs-including blatant racism

Advice to Management

Honestly, The DM I had in my region was so awful and hated by every store she oversaw and nothing was done about it, in fact she was promoted which disgusts me. It was to the point that her tone was so negative we would pick straws at who had to call her back at times. She would belittle management not only in front of co workers but in front of CUSTOMERS, and then would put on a happy go lucky facade when actual corporate would visit. The most infuriating thing is when she had the locks changed in our store when another key holder who happened to be African American lost her key. When other key holders, who like me were white lost it, we were just ordered a new key-never needed the locks changed once, and there were 3 of us who lost ours at some point in 3 years. When called out about it, she blatantly lied and said that they have always had the locks changed when they never had to do it to the 3 others who were white and lost it.
    She also had an issue with never admitting she was wrong, she would ask us to change 'x' about our store for our next visit, we would do it, and then she would ask us why we changed it. When we tried to tell her we only did as asked she called us liars...so we made sure to print every email she sent us with her directions and highlighted them so that the next time we were 'lying' we had proof. Her excuse when we confronted her with that was " I have 8 stores to take care of I hardly remember or think of your store".
    Don't just hire people who you think are go-getters Soma, hire people with actual morals.

"Sales Associate, keyholder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount, upbeat environment, great hiring, achievable sales goals. The customers are pretty loyal and the product is easy to sell due to such high quality.

Cons

Upper in-store management took over sales at the register, and essentially eliminated associates' ability to make sales goals. Lower level employees also given tasks in the stockroom and told that every other sale was appointed to them (this is not a reality--they will get one item while the manager makes hundreds of dollars on the sales floor).

Advice to Management

Allow employees to ring up their own sales to maintain the customer-associate relationship. Ensure that tasking is spread out amongst ALL employees.

"Stay away unless you are a corporate kiss butt"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Tampa, FL

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think off. 40% employee discount when you barely get 20 hours a week at minimum wage is not enough reason.

Cons

Culture. Corporate. Mean girls club

Advice to Management

None. Almost every review here says the same thing and nothing has changed. It's gotten worse. Corporate doesn't listen and doesn't care.

"Positive Environment but not many hours"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time

Pros

The employees and employer are one of the kindest people I have met. They try to treat everyone like family. Very professional and treat each customer with respect. This job is not too difficult and is fairly easy. If you are just looking for spending money or a job to just have a few extra dollars, then this is your go to.

Cons

If you are looking for a job that is going to put food on your table, I would't recommend it unless you are applying for a Sales Lead position since they receive more hours. My hours have been cut due to the hiring of another sales lead. I am a college student, attempting to move into apartments next year so 7 hours a week is not a good thing.

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Soma Intimates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent but they keep raising the price of them.

Cons

Do not fall for the "you will bonus on making sales plan. You will bonus of of personal sales. " lune. You won't.
    You'll bonus at best, one month a year.
    You won't be able to bonus on personal sales as a 40 hour a week employee. It's impossible.
    Toy will make your hourly rate as a store manager or asm.
    They will start you at the lowest possible hourly rate and tell you to make up the difference with commission you can't.
    Coupons and sales make bonus impossible to make.
    Your district manager will scream at you for not hitting plan or comp week after week month after month even though prices are lower than ever and traffic has declined 20% to ly.
    You won't be supported, you won't be fairly compensated and you will never bonus.

Advice to Management

If only a couple of stores out of 300 are making their sales goals on the year is it really all of us that are doing so poorly?
    It's not.
    Stop treating your store managers so poorly. Make our goals attainable or pay us better!