Soma Intimates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Shelley Broader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Unrealistic expectations from upper management" (in 42 reviews)

• "Low pay and impossible bonus structure" (in 34 reviews)

1. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management and employees. We have a very supportive team and we all help each other with sales. The customers tend to be polite and genuinely good people. The dress code is fairly simple, dress nicely, black, white, and cream colors. You can wear dress pants, dresses, skirts, etc. So far I've always been dressed comfortably. If you are a hard worker, you will have opportunities to move up. I have only been working here for about a month and I am already being trained to become a sales lead. We get a 60% off our entire purchase for your first purchase within 30 days of being hired. After that, it is 40% off regular priced stuff at Soma, Chicos, and White House Black Market. Sometimes we get buy ins and get a larger percentage off. Currently we have new black and white clothing that we get 65% off since Soma wants employees to wear it.

Cons

Not the best pay, but not horrible. Sometimes we have to do work that seems unnecessary (like making calls to customers about new products). Every now and then we get some rude or high maintenance customers as well. We can only wear black, white, and cream. It looks nice, but I feel like I'm dressed for a funeral when I go to work! We also can't make our own floor sets, so we have to follow a plan and don't get to be creative with how we do store layouts. Sometimes the job is a little slow and you don't do a lot. We also are required to stand for the full time which can get a little hard if you have bad shoes or already have back/feet pain.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to wear colors again and to be able to do our own floor sets.

2. "Decent but needs much improvement"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Houston, TX

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diversity of tasks and the sisterhood connection you tend to make with your team and customers makes the job stimulating and interesting.

Cons

Requesting time off can be touchy. The protocol for analyzing sales numbers and KPIs is more work than necessary, since it could be done by technology or software instead of sales leadership.

Advice to Management

The protocol for analyzing sales numbers and KPIs could be automated by existing technology, but I suppose the company does not want to invest in it, which leaves sales leaders with the task of calculating and analyzing the many different KPIs. Not only does this carry potential for error, but it also takes sales leaders time that they could instead be using for other tasks.d

"Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

. Good Discounts
    . Great Manager

Cons

. No structure
    . Can be a VERY hostile work environment
    . Pay
    . Expectations on key holders/ sale leads
    . Pay

Advice to Management

. Appreciate your employees
    . Let HR do their job (when it comes to a hostile work environment)

4. "Floor Leader"

Former Employee - Floor Leader in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Floor Leader in Normal, IL

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with were so much fun. Very inviting and caring for each other. I worked at multiple locations while working for soma, it honestly depends on your location how much you will enjoy working there. Some stores really love to build each other up and help each other make the best sales, while others try to take your sales. Overall, very fun company to work for. You get interesting customers and really end up having a personal connection with them, I mean you are selling them bras.

Cons

Some locations (not all!) do not have the best management.
    The pay is not great and to bonus you really have to have a high foot traffic

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for part-time.

5. "Assistant Store Manager Review"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Soma Intimates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well made bras, underwear and clothing. Bonusing off of SPH can equal a great amount of extra money in your paycheck if you’re doing your job and have a busy week at the store

Cons

SPH bonus system is only good if you have a busy week at the store; if you’re a PT employee making dirt per paycheck (Soma pays terrible hourly wages to PT associates and management) then you get nothing that week. My boss was absolutely crazy and manipulative, so her demeanor impacted the overall staff which creates a lot of drama amongst us. Also my DM was impossible to get a hold of and in my time working at that store, she only came once for a couple of minutes. This company expects a lot out of their staff but does not compensate. Excessive amount of floor moves and promo changes.

Advice to Management

If you increased hourly wage, you’d have a happier and more productive team. Also, pay attention to the opinions of those who are not store managers for our opinion is more unfiltered and true.

6. "Terrible. I’d never recommend anyone working for them."

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount on expensive bras.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations when understaffed, 35+ hours when part time, management, tried to edge employees out when they could only work a couple days a week, firing employees who have worked with the company for years because of personal reasons. Whole stores went to HR about a district manager and they nothing.

Advice to Management

Don’t tell employees they are replaceable...when no one is lining up to work for you.

7. "Great Stores, Bad Management"

I worked at Soma Intimates full-time

Pros

Great discounts, great CEO, great benefits, great culture

Cons

Horrible district manager, horrible return policy, lots of upper management and customer abuse for associates

8. "Sales"

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time

Pros

Fun staff and customers

Cons

Not enough hours for bonus

9. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Soma Intimates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Soma was a wonderful place to be if you were a manager. Managers are paid hourly (which is unheard of) so there were times when you would get overtime. If your store was staffed well and you kept it staffed well, you had a great work/ life balance.
    The health benefits were decent, as was the PTO time.
    The people you work with are wonderful, I met so many great people- clients and colleagues.
    As long as your store is performing, you were pretty much left alone.
    The discount was great as was the product

Cons

The pay for part time keys and part time associates was low.
    Because my store was always staffed appropriately and making plan, I was always asked to send associates to other stores that were not staffed. Then when my numbers dropped, I was questioned as to why I was not doing well. Why are you not questioning the managers who are borrowing my employees instead of working on staffing their own stores.
    The part time key holder position is a tough position to fill- you are asking people to be part time managers and only paying them $10-11 an hour (if that).
    Our DM played favorites, and was always negative. She would never motivate you, she just made you feel bad.
    If you were interested in moving up or other opportunities within the company- the DM would find an excuse to not let you, or not share it with those above her.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for, by not increasing the hourly wages for part time associates and especially part time key holders, you are not going to get great quality employees that are essential to the business. The Regional manager needs to be more involved with the employees, I dont think that the Regional knows how people really feel about their DM. The DM's need to be more supportive of the stores- if the store is struggling with staffing or numbers, the DM needs to be there to figure out why and offer help until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

10. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Montgomery Village, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Montgomery Village, CA

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

wonderful staff, excellent customer and client service, clean and well kept store

Cons

none, it's a wonderful business

Advice to Management

keep it up!