Sound Transit Reviews

Updated Jan 21, 2021

3.5
Sound Transit CEO Peter Rogoff (no image)
Peter Rogoff
Pros
  • "Slower pace, great benefits, fantastic 401a matching(in 7 reviews)

• "free Orca card; employees in my division were friendly(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Old School Engineering mind set - this is the way we've always done it(in 3 reviews)

• "upper management is comprised of mostly 'old school' thinking individuals whose mantra is ' that's not the way we do it here'(in 2 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great organization with a great mission"

5.0
    Current Employee - Communications in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great mission and overall camaraderie. Fair compensation and great benefits.

Cons

Pace can be busy at times.

January 25, 2021Social media recruiting specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, and for your decade-plus of service to our agency and region! We agree, our mission to "connect more people to more places to make life better and create equitable opportunities for all" is a good one. And as we continue to expand transit options throughout the Puget Sound amidst a pandemic, it can get busy. For more information on how we're responding to COVID-19 and helping our region recover, check out our website: https://www.soundtransit.org/system-expansion/realignment.

2. "Internship Review"

5.0
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

Fantastic, dedicated people, relatively flexible hours and a fast-changing environment

Cons

No complaints on this end!

3. "Awesome Company!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Receptionist/Administrative Assistant

I worked at Sound Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work .

Cons

Need to hire the direct hires and contractors - they work just as hard!

January 25, 2021Social media recruiting specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for recommending Sound Transit as a great place to work! Our contractors do work hard on behalf of our agency and our region. If you know of anyone looking for a job at Sound Transit, please feel free to direct them to our website, where current openings are updated on regular basis: https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to-know-us/jobs.

4. "Good goals"

Former Employee - Operations Business Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sound Transit full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was able to independently pursue the agency's pain points and smooth them out. I had good teachers while I was there and they have a lot of good training opportunities. Promotions were scarce when I was there but I understand has improved since then.

Cons

Promotional opportunities were scarce until management changed. My program was revised and I was removed from it.

January 20, 2021Social media recruiting specialist

Thank you for your years of work with us, and thanks for taking the time to leave a review! You're absolutely right and we agree - our people are our best assets. We do provide opportunities for upward mobility and career advancement, in addition to the training you mentioned, but we can always improve! Please feel free to reach out to our HR team with feedback; we'd love to hear more.

5. "Public Agency"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and interesting projects.

Cons

Very political environment which makes sense since the Board is comprised of local elected officials. This makes decision making a layered and time consuming process in and of itself.

January 20, 2021Social media recruiting specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we really appreciate your feedback. And thanks for the point about the decision making process here at Sound Transit - there are a lot of choices to be made as we expand our regional transit system to serve more people in more places. You're right - our projects are interesting to say the least! https://www.soundtransit.org/system-expansion

6. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

Wonderful medical benefits, training available and professional growth.

Cons

Lack of procedure driven task

November 16, 2020Social media recruiting specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and for mentioning our benefits! We appreciate honest feedback and would love to learn more about your comment on procedure. We are always open to ideas for improvements! Please feel free to reach out to our HR team at any time.

7. "Why hire experts if the DCIO knows everything?"

1.0
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sound Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome benefits, can’t complain about the health or dental.

Cons

I worked a whole five hours a week because the DCIO was doing my job, and his, and a few others...

December 9, 2020Social media recruiting specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for voicing your concerns about your team. Leadership has been notified as we value a work environment where everyone can contribute, and where their voice is heard. Please feel free to reach out to our HR team with any additional questions or feedback.

"Great benefits, good life-work balance"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Slower pace, great benefits, fantastic 401a matching. Most people believe in mission and goals of the agency, and enthusiasts of public transportation. Culture varies wildly by department.

Cons

Growing pains as the agency has rapidly expanded. All departments face some turnovers, and most of them are good (the old-timers who are resistant to change, low-performers, in general people who're not patient enough to ride the tide or work in ambiguous environments).

9. "Security guard"

Former Employee - Agile Project Manager

I worked at Sound Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, good training, can be a fun work environment love helping people

Cons

The public has some political warfare and target everybody. I just dont like how negative the public can be and how over richous they act with the camera.

"Sound Transit Review"

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sound Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

+Excellent medical insurance and rates. +Excellent retirement program (401k, 401a). +Competitive pay, salary raises/bonuses, and substantial amount of overtime (OT).

Cons

-Terrible leadership and management. -Awful communication between leadership and employees. -Employees are often overworked due to expansion projects for new transit sites, limited personnel, upgrades, repairs, and maintenance.

November 18, 2019Social media recruiting specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to be recognized for our commitment to the well-being of our employees, including their health and financial security (we do offer a 401a and 457b in lieu of 401k). We are sorry to hear about issues with communication and workload. With one of the largest capital program expansions in the U.S. underway, we are experiencing some growing pains! Our HR team would love to hear more of your feedback. Please feel free to reach out any time.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 54 English Reviews