Sound Transit Reviews | Glassdoor

Sound Transit Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2019

Found 45 reviews

3.7
Sound Transit CEO Peter Rogoff (no image)
Peter Rogoff
  1. "Internship Review"

Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

Fantastic, dedicated people, relatively flexible hours and a fast-changing environment

Cons

No complaints on this end!

Sound Transit2019-07-25
  2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, good benefits, good social mission

Cons

Public sector pay is not as competitive, no clear career pathing

Sound Transit2019-07-12
  3. "Contract"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance Good benefits

Cons

Culture and long meetings

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to get better

Sound Transit2019-06-07

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for less than a year

Pros

GREAT health insurance and leave benefits.

Cons

Everyone needs to sign off on everything at every step of the process. The agency never really right-sized themselves after they started growing so fast and they weren't ready for so many new people-- don't expect much training or guidance on your job, and expect everyone else around you to also be new.

Advice to Management

Train and empower your employees.

Sound Transit2019-05-09
  5. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Internal growth -Supportive management -Great benefits -Continually improving -Industry leader

Cons

-Slightly lower pay for the area

Sound Transit2019-04-10
  6. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - IT Supervisor, Platforms and Systems Administration in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sound Transit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great staff, ability to run your team and make changes

Cons

History of the agency, lack of commitment to make changes quickly.

Sound Transit2019-02-09

"Nice people - room for improvement"

I worked at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

Good benefits. There are some smart people and overall everyone is pretty kind.

Cons

Long time employees are too set in their ways. The herd mentality is strong and isn’t benefiting the agency.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are motivated to change things for the better or you will lose them. Increase corporate sponsorships to reduce taxpayer dollars going to marketing/promotion projects.

Sound Transit2019-01-25

"Stay away if you are competent and educated"

I worked at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

You don't pay into social security. Convenient location if you are a transit commuter.

Cons

This review is purely my opinion posted in the public interest. In my first two weeks here, I had multiple users and IT personnel ask me if I had ever seen an IT department that was operated like this. I had not. What's more interesting is I had multiple people throughout my time there ask me the same question. People complained about IT and its incompetence nearly weekly. Note many of the other negative reviews... here are mostly by IT people. There is a high level of incompetence in IT Senior Leadership and beyond, mostly promoted due to tenure rather than performance. So called senior leadership that just says yes to whoever is standing in front of them at the moment, no concept of critical thinking whatsoever. PMO and the PM's are a bad joke, most can't even schedule a meeting without hand holding and many seemed to have little more than a High School Diploma, then get condescending with functional managers who have a lot of credentials and education. The level of incompetence is astounding. Business analysts and most IT resources are extremely junior. The only reason anything seems to get done here is due to overpriced contractors hired to fix the mistakes made by these incompetent people. Administrative assistants can't figure out how to use basic software most of the corporate world uses and tax payers end up footing the bill for millions of dollars in new software that the agency doesn't need if they hired more competent people. High School educated administrative assistants go to technical conferences for IT people at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars then complain they can't figure out how to use the software that others in the private sector seem to do fine with and want something else for millions more, again at the tax payers expense and these same high school educated people overrule technical managers with Masters degrees and more than a dozen IT certifications and decades of experience. Agency has a mambi pambi culture. Education, credentials and competence are trumped by high school educated clerks who know the leadership above you will say "yes" to whatever they want. Going along to get along is what counts at this mediocre organization. In my first few months here I corrected half a dozen poor technical decisions made by senior leadership and my predecessor, yet another person with no university education, despite those decisions having passed multiple reviews and approvals from many so called "experts" yet I was able to find and point out critical flaws and issues within 30 minutes each time. It was like IT 101 EVERY day. The CEO has tried to whip this place into shape and get rid of the dead weight and had many attacks against him as a result. Take it from me, if you have a lot of education, credentials and experience, do not come here...I've never worked with such mediocre people in my entire career, and frankly HR is part of the problem. HR has high turnover and is practically out to lunch so to speak. Oh, and the agency appears to be predominately white. Take a look at how many minorities hold senior executive positions here.... I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to flood this place with fake positive reviews after this review. If you don't believe me about their incompetence, just take a look at some of the news stories about projects that are several years behind schedule and hundreds of millions over budget. These people just come and tax you more, no private organization would ever survive with this level of incompetence.

Advice to Management

Resign.

Sound Transit2018-08-17

Sound Transit Response

August 27, 2018Social Media Specialist - Recruitment

We value your feedback and take your comments very seriously. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sound Transit strives to have a workforce that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We will continue to evaluate and monitor our processes and work culture to ensure that they align with ...

9. "N/A"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sound Transit has great benefits, meaningful work

Cons

Commuting is by far, the worst part of working here

Advice to Management

N/A

Sound Transit2018-07-16

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sound Transit full-time

Pros

Smart, committed people, excellent benefits, professional HR team.

Cons

Some unskilled managers & directors, organization is becoming more top-down. Routes of vertical & horizontal staff communication closing off; organization in danger of relying on birds-of-a-feather favoritism. Not much diversity at the top; not enough people of color being promoted to meaningful, well-paying positions.

Advice to Management

Deal w/longtime managers who don't have skills to be managers but got promoted because they worked there for years. Take a close look at longtime, unrecognized people who work hard year after year and are ignored or overlooked. Develop opportunities for non-engineers.

Sound Transit2018-06-16

Sound Transit Response

June 18, 2018Social Media Specialist - Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Comments like this help us grow.

Found 45 reviews