Spokeo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Harrison Tang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free snacks and catered lunches every single day is pretty great (in 15 reviews)

• Free Lunch, Table Tennis, a lot of millennials (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Take away the food and this is just another bad customer care job (in 5 reviews)

• Currently there is no work from home policy (in 3 reviews)

"An excellent place to work for, with lots of perks!"

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

- 401k
    - free lunch
    - company events, conference 1/year
    - very strong engineering team, with a tech stack that is very stable
    - solid process, QA team is very good, they work really hard
    - strong dev ops team, very reliable, very friendly too!
    - very enthusiastic, and excellent culture team
    - lots of really good devs from top engineering schools (berkeley, stanford, etc. :P)
    - plenty of pto, and sick days
    - bike racks
    - gym reimbursement
    - vp of engineering, very down to earth, passionate, works very hard, and always in touch with devs
    - same for ceo

Cons

- 'flexible working hours' but stand-up is mandatory, and too early
    - competitive salary trailing silicon beach salary, but salary is still really good
    - lots of skilled developers, some have worked here for many years, but only a few promotions
    - changing company culture, could use some distractions in the office, growing a little bureaucratic, need ice cream

Advice to Management

- to managers, pay attention, to your engineers, they're really smart, listen to them, they came a long way, hand-picked from the best, by the best!
    - evaluate yourselves, be transparent, and bold, be courageous, be considerate, uplift, inspire, and be happy! smile! all the time.

2. "Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Spokeo full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, Table Tennis, a lot of millennials.

Cons

The website aggregates information from a variety of sources and is extremely intrusive to many peoples' lives.

"Not bad, not great, good pay"

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

Free food and drink
    Casual office environment, ping pong, foosball, pool, etc.
    Parties with booze (people get fired sometimes lol)
    Pay is generally quite good. Spokeo has a hard time recruiting talent because of its business model, leaving them very reliant on H1B.
    Some nice coworkers (shout out to Byron Wang)
    Spokeo is not a super hard place to work

All things considered, as long as you can keep your opinions and aspirations to yourself, Spokeo is a not a bad place to work. If you’re so full of good ideas, go start your own company.

Cons

While casual office environment is nice, some come to work in sweatpants, and fart/burp out loud
    Business model is a scam where a user puts in a credit card for a “Free trial” which then turns into a paying subscription for a product that the person is not even using (unlike Netflix, which people use).
    People also hate what Spokeo does (selling private information)
    CEO is kind of crazy and wants to “beat Google”
    No one in management is receptive to negative feedback or ideas which contradict their own, which is within their own right as mangement/founders
    Spokeo “Culture Team” means well, but really, how many people do you need buying booze and planning parties. References to the “Spokeo family” are like empty words when you consider the business model
    Continual frustrations from its own backwardness and a general sense of “is this really happening” on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

It's your baby and you treat it as such

"Don't Dismiss the Truth in These Reviews..."

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

- Free food
    - Casual environment
    - Cool conference rooms
    - Massage chair

Cons

What can I say that hasn't already been perfectly articulated by past posts? This place is toxic. The nepotism, founder incompetence and micromanagement, favoritism, lack of accountability, lack of foresight and high turnover hides behind the guise of free lunch, extravagant parties and games. You can work here for a while, and hopefully be one of the employees that flies under the radar with sub-par work. Who you know is the key here - so make sure you spend time and strategize how to infiltrate this inside circle/ boys' club and you'll be fine. The founders really believe their deceptive product will be enough to go up against legitimate tech companies. Get real and make the hard decisions to cut poor performing managers, and actually allow competent managers the opportunity to do the jobs they were hired for without your continual interjection and direction. Take a long look in the mirror to realize that you, the founders, are the problem perpetuating failure on an employee engagement front. Engagement is not food, ping pong and cupcakes. It means something much more substantial that results in committed, motivated and energized employees who can truly propel your product to another level and actually remain longer than a couple of years.

Advice to Management

You should probably take these reviews more seriously. If you continue to dismiss these lengthy reviews based on who you assume is leaving them, you're missing an important common thread that looks to hold you accountable for the perpetuated failure in keeping good employees.

"Management Means Well but Fails"

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and snacks and drinks

Cons

Management wears a lot of hats.
    Do not allow working from home
    A lot of people are quitting
    Can't hire fast enough to fill the void of people quitting
    Changing seats every few months

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, benefits and competitive pay

Cons

No cons. One of the best companies in the industry

Apr 17, 2017 – Spokeo

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy working at Spokeo! We are constantly working to create an environment where our employees enjoy coming into work everyday.

"Terrible Product and Toxic Company"

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks and Benefits, some smart people.

Cons

Job is not satisfying. The product is awful and embarrassing. The company's data on individuals is inaccurate and the purchase flows are deceiving. All the customers hate the product and end up cancelling their subscription (High Churn Rate). There are plenty of fake reviews on this page. When I worked at Spokeo, the management team asked me to write a positive review for the company. I declined to say the least.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your customers and stop try to make a quick buck off people searching for honest answers.

Apr 18, 2017 – Spokeo

Thank you for your feedback. Spokeo serves over 18 million unique visitors a month, providing them with intelligence and data transparency. We have experienced tremendous growth as a company, and... More

8. "Awesome Company!!"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organization is very "open door," positive, innovative, invests in both technology and human capital. Spokeo's CEO and senior team are always visible, approachable, helpful and you feel as a business owner as well.

Cons

cons? nothing that stands out...

Advice to Management

Stay the course..!!

Apr 18, 2017 – Spokeo

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are proud of the tools that we build, and especially proud of the team that builds them. We work hard to create an environment that fosters collaboration... More

9. "Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked at a company that has such a supportive and transparent culture. The work environment is phenomenal. One of the most critical values of this company is upholding a "safe environment", which means we never make the customers feel wrong or dumb and same goes for employees. There are no stupid questions, leadership supports your personal goals, you are encouraged to take care of yourself (wellness, breaks, sharing with your team if you're having a hard time with something, etc.), and needless to say - the free food/snacks/drinks are also amazeing. Spectacular benefits package - med/vision/dental (best deal I've seen so far at any company), tons of PTO, flexible and fixed schedules, tons of resources for professional and personal growth, wellness program, casual dress (I'm talking flip flops. I'm talking yoga pants. You name it.), and tons of opportunity to grow upward within your department or even outside to a different one. The people I work with are all friendly and have similar characteristics that indicative of the Spokian life: people are hard-working, fun, have positive attitudes, and are willing to help.

Cons

As a CC Rep, you start at a fixed hourly pay rate regardless of experience or education. The starting pay for a CC Rep is not stellar, but great compared to some other call center positions out there.

Advice to Management

Thank you so much for the wonderful culture and benefits you provide for us! Please do consider being flexible with starting pay rate based on experience.

Apr 27, 2017 – Spokeo

Thank you for your feedback. Spokeo is proud to employ a team of supportive, intelligent, and creative individuals. We work hard to create an environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, and... More

10. "Spokeo is an amazing company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Spokeo! Good culture, smart employees, and a fun working environment. I think all of the teams communicate and collaborate well together. Spokeo is truly dedicated to their employees. A few of the excellent perks include flexible hours, casual dress code, stock options, free lunch daily, solid benefits, and fully stocked fridge and snacks!

Cons

I have only positive feedback at this time.

Apr 18, 2017 – Spokeo

Thank you for your feedback. Spokeo is proud of our culture and dedication to our employees. This is evident in our full coverage of the premium healthcare offerings, free catered lunch everyday... More