Spokeo Reviews

Updated May 5, 2020

3.2
Spokeo CEO Harrison Tang  (no image)
Harrison Tang
Pros
  • "Fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches, themed rooms and teams, great supportive staff, friendly environment, room for advance(in 20 reviews)

• "There's free lunch here and they pay for your free conference every year(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "I feel for the customer care team - no amount of free lunch makes up for being berated all day(in 7 reviews)

• "No standardized work from home policy(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy the work environment here. People are friendly. It's an everyday thing to see co-workers smiling and laughing, in meetings and throughout the day. The ping pong tables and pool tables get a lot of use, and employees tend to have a healthy amount of socializing, including enjoying the company provided beer :-) Spokeo has done a lot in recent months to change in key areas where it was needed and I'm very optimistic about what the future looks like here.

Cons

I was warned by more than a few coworkers of the "Spokeo 15". With all the free food, snacks, drinks, and beer...it does take some discipline to avoid overeating! However, I love not having to make a decision about where to eat every day since they bring in lunch daily. Other than conference rooms, Spokeo has a very "open office" floor plan (even the CEO does not have an office). "Open office" floor plans have been all the rage in recent years, but some of us do our best thinking when we can isolate and control interruptions. The company has a history of not allowing working from home. For those of us who work most effectively by splitting work between environments, this precedent hinders top performance. I hear things may be changing to allow for more flexibility, and I certainly hope this will be so. I believe employees should be measured by the results they create, rather than the hours they are at their desk.

Spokeo2019-07-30

"Generous, Laid-back, Fun..."

Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Spokeo is the most generous company I've ever worked for. They care far more about comfort and perks for their team members than focussing strictly on the bottom line. They cater lunches seven days a week, host multiple events every month, have fantastic employee benefits, promote and support development training...the list could go on forever. They are bold and ambitious. They have a long term vision and they make team members feel like they are a part of it. For its size, Spokeo has a very large recruiting team. They are consistently looking for more brilliant and innovative individuals to join the team. I've worked for other tech companies who run a very slim skeleton crew where people burn out quickly. The founders of the company are down to earth. They don't take themselves too seriously. They care about the culture of the company. They care about the team. They lead with full transparency. The CEO even hosts weekly "Ask Me Anything" meetings where team members can submit top of mind anonymous questions that are answered on the spot. A risky but very telling move by Harrison Tang. It all comes down to this... The leaders of Spokeo care deeply about employee experience. They care less about lining their pockets. They strive to be better and more innovative everyday. They are investing in a strong team and a strong future. It's a nice change compared to what I'm used to. Also, the location is stellar. Working in Pasadena RULES!!!!

Cons

There is some internal processes that can be tightened up. There are a few teams that can be slimmed down and run more efficiently. There could be a better forum in place for team members to share and hash out product ideas.

Spokeo2020-05-05

"A Lesson Not Worth Learning"

1.0

I worked at Spokeo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some genuinely awesome and talented people work here. The benefits and perks are above industry standard. The equipment provided is top-of-the-line.

Cons

Spokeo’s management team continues to act as its own worst enemy. From hire to exit, you’ll be amazed watching this team repeat the same cycle of mistakes. Eventually you’ll be caught in the crosshairs. You’ll think you’re safe... until you’re not. Accountability - there is none. Many of the leaders at Spokeo refuse to look within for the answers to their problems. Most employees walk on eggshells and avoid conflict by blindly agreeing to ridiculous proposals. You might try to fight it at first - they hired you for your decades of experience, right? You’ll quickly find out that a few HBR articles and a 2013 blog post from your-area-of-expertise.net make your leadership team more equipped to do your job than you are. The corporate brand is entirely disconnected from reality. The company that obscures its pricing/subscription model to sell private data to vulnerable customers can’t genuinely think it should be viewed as a champion of transparency. This absurdity has a real impact on the people responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company. I feel for the customer care team - no amount of free lunch makes up for being berated all day. I guess paying for premium ad placement of why Spokeo is a great place to work is cheaper than fixing the actual systemic problems. When things go from sour to toxic, senior managers have the luxury of being let go. The rest of us get to enjoy public humiliation, character assassination, and gaslighting while being moved deep into obscurity in an attempt to force a voluntary departure. You get bonus pain points if you’re a woman or person of color. Finding a new job is painful with Spokeo on your resume - prepare to articulate how you sold your soul and still have nothing of value to add to your portfolio.

Spokeo2020-04-18

"Never Going To Excel"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative

I worked at Spokeo full-time

Pros

free food everyday, nice people and fun events

Cons

The product has never worked and they would rather build the company off of dark marketing. They treat people that work there like slaves meaning limited breaks and monitoring your every move including having your phone at your desk. If you're on the phones, prepare to be yelled at every five minutes unless you can take on the mental repercussions.

Spokeo2020-03-11

March 20, 2020Director of Customer Care

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our priority in Customer Care is maintaining a high standard of service for our customers at all times, which includes supporting, coaching, and providing ongoing training for our front-line team members. We do not allow cell phones or electronic devices for personal use while assisting customers because we believe our users deserve our sole attention in providing a customized, distraction-free experience. While waiting for incoming calls, emails or chats, as well as during breaks, our agents are welcome to surf the internet, watch movies or listen to music at their workstations. Developing a positive work environment is both an on-going and evolving effort at Spokeo. We also make sure to provide each team member with regular breaks and full-hour lunch during their shifts. We encourage team members to reach out to their supervisors if they feel the need to take additional time between challenging calls. Our goal is to maintain a great balance between the needs of our Customer Care staff as well as the customers we serve.

"conservative, risk adverse leadership in changing market"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Spokeo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees care. Smart. Digitally capable. informal.

Cons

Driven by owners' preferences and desire for control vs. what's right for business and users. Face to owners..not to users / market.

Spokeo2019-09-18

January 16, 2020Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We're just as excited as you are about all the dynamic changes we are proposing for Spokeo's future, particularly as it relates to product development and company culture. You hit the nail on the head about the type of people who thrive at Spokeo - we are actively looking for do-ers and people who want to make things happen. We also believe that our team members are people first, which is why we are happy to support encourage and support employee engagement with their interests outside the company, including their commitment to their communities.

"Spokeo is preparing for 2.0"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spokeo is going through a metamorphosis. A few examples: Organization - Creating new teams to better focus on its core product (data), Product - Developing focus on critical opportunities to extend and create new offerings (and saying "no" to others that distract), and Culture - Investing in collaboration and management skills (among others) for tomorrow's staff and work environment. This in addition to improvements in benefits and continued commitment to the local community, makes Spokeo a great place to do great work in Pasadena and be friends with colleagues inside and outside the office.

Cons

There is a lot of opportunity here. The key is to prioritize and stay focused. Some people watch what happens, others wondered what happened, and others make it happen. Spokeo is actively, intentionally looking for folks that fit this last group of people as there is a lot of work to be done. You'll make a positive mark on the company and industry as you deliver!

Spokeo2019-07-05
  7. "Great Place to work at!!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Agent

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is great to work for a company where the CEO desk is right in open view. He also takes all opinions and ideas from any member of his staff, even from the customer service agents.

Cons

This is a growing company that is always looking for ways to improve. Guess that not really a con.

Spokeo2019-07-03

July 8, 2019Director of Customer Care

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We agree that collaboration is key to continued growth and improvement. Feedback specifically from our Customer Care Team has influenced many positive changes and we will continue to provide a platform for all of our team members to be heard. We appreciate your contributions to the Spokeo Team!

"Great Place To Work For"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

None none none none and absolutely none

Spokeo2019-05-18

May 22, 2019Director of Customer Care

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you feel supported and well fed here at Spokeo! Creating a positive dynamic and investing in employee growth are key initiatives for the future as we continue to offer ongoing training and coaching to add value to your work at Spokeo and beyond. Thank you for your contributions to the Spokeo team!

"This place starts out as a great place to work. It only gets better from there."

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The amount of coaching and support that is provided to Customer Care Reps is unrivaled. Yes, there is free lunch. Yes, there is great people to work with on interesting problems. Yes, there is the opportunity to help people. Yes, there is opportunity to have an impact.

Cons

Dealing with unruly customers can be tough and draining.

Spokeo2019-04-24

April 29, 2019Director of Customer Care

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear of your great experiences here at Spokeo. We understand that solving our customer's challenges require the best parts of you. This is why we have on-going training and coaching to continuously support you and your work here at Spokeo. Thank you for helping our customers and resolve their questions, solve their problems and, most of all, thank you for being an essential part of the Spokeo team!

"Nice but Short Sighted and Protective."

I worked at Spokeo full-time

Pros

Nice people and culture.

Cons

Lack of trust in people and teams. Founders operates well below their levels.

Spokeo2019-02-17

February 20, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We agree that it's important for teammates to be accorded freedom to do their jobs and make positive impacts on our business. To that end, about a year ago, we implemented a change whereby we work collaboratively on major business projects in cross-functional teams using SCRUM methodology. Each team has a project owner and a technical leader. The project owner is responsible setting the business goals for the project and the roadmap for how those business goals will be accomplished, while the technical leader is responsible for the delivery and implementation of what needs to get done. We have found that this change has not only given our teammates more ownership of the projects on which they are working, but has also removed working silos and fostered an environment in which our employees better understand "the why" behind each project. We have also made an ongoing investment in continuous, structured, on-site SCRUM training so that our teammates have the latest and greatest tools and methodologies for executing their projects. We'll continue to look for more ways to foster an environment in which our teammates are empowered!

Found 114 reviews