Spotify Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Daniel Ek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Extremely fast growth leading to growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

• "Constant reorgs, middle management isn't very transparent, lots of politics, plenty of favouritism" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Experienced Receptionist"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Very good company, good benefits, friendly people

Cons

very busy and active

2. "Great Perks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free food
    - Trips to Stockholm
    - lots of activities

Cons

I am getting tired of the constant reorgs. My team had a great vibe and then was suddenly uprooted and hasn’t recovered. Morale is low across the company because of this.

I’ve felt stuck in my role without advancement. Unhappy with manager who doesn’t seem to be able to help or provide any guidance on moving forward.

Advice to Management

For the love of God, stop the reorgs. It hurts employee morale and disbands effective teams that are actually doing great work.

3. "Finance"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Cool office, great perks, new employees get a trip to Stockholm, 6 month maternity leave, cool events and parties. Fridge is always stacked with beer and wine. Free lunch, snacks, soda, breakfast everyday. You occasionally get a free shirt or some sort of swag here or there. We also get the occasional performance and celebrity sighting. Video games galore. Ping pong is popular in the office.
    Aside from that, the people I work with are wonderful. Not only are they great work wise , but they know how to have fun too. Can’t complain about management either. My managers are always looking out for us and want to see us grow and progress in our careers. Things are always changing at Spotify, which is great because you are never bored. There’s always something changing or something new happening that might impact your work. I see this as a good thing since it keeps you on your toes and provides you with more exposure in a sense.
    Overall, pretty cool and awesome place to work for.

Cons

Finance tends to work some long hours, especially during month end close. This might interfere with any fun Spotify happy hours or events, but not the biggest deal since there’s always events. Also, working late is pretty standard with most finance positions.

"Senior Editor"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Fulfilling, Fun, Learning, Future, Business

Cons

Not a clear career path.

"the song remains the same... off-key and out of tune (data scientists beware!)"

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent compensation, good benefits and perks – but those aren't things you can get elsewhere

Cons

What's worse: how management neglects the development and growth of its direct reports (the emphasis on growth mindset and employee-driven development is a cop-out for this neglect) or how the same issues have plagued the company for several years without proper attention?

Promotions are a crap-shoot. I couldn't tell you how they get decided and management probably can't either.

If you work as a data scientist, prepare to deal with a painful data infrastructure, no central oversight of data quality, an absence of analytics data engineers, and a lot of repetitive a/b test analysis because of how broken that system is. Expect to have a manager who never will understand or try to empathize with the pains of your job. It's a decentralized analytics organization, and it's a mess.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look in the mirror and recognize the role you play in how unhappy people are with their jobs.

"Good policies disappointing management"

Former Employee - Experienced Developer II in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Experienced Developer II in White Plains, NY

I worked at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee focused policies, free lunches and snacks, mostly self paced work, smart people

Cons

Mid management very disengaged, smart people but with very bad attitude. Company hired many people during growth and now people just slack at work (mostly because they are busing chatting on slack channels). Non existent growth opportunities because managers are always focused on external hires

Advice to Management

No point since you know it all !!

"Politics and inexperience everywhere"

Pros

Multinational company makes it a bit bearable

Cons

NYC tech office is full of politics and power hungry people. Promotions are pretty easy if you constantly brainwash upper management. This leads to junior people being promoted relatively quickly and only because they've been there for some time. And then they experiment with processes and reorgs which have no proven track record of working.

Employees are rewarded for talking and face time vs impact. So if you want to succeed here regardless of your title, come with a marketing background. Engineers suffer pretty bad amongst all this because their managers are inexperienced and not able to help them grow. A bad engineer gets worse, and a good engineer never gets rewarded because he/she is busy working so much that they don't have time to craft a story for their promotion. By they time he/she realizes it, the bad engineers have been promoted. Exactly the same with Product Management, Engineering Management, Quality, VP, Directors.

Advice to Management

Try some bottom up feedback if you really want your employees to speak up about your management. No point in continuing to promote people who are only doing work in the management's eyes but are bad at their jobs in everyone else's eyes.

Oh and please fire people faster :) you really need to if this company is to survive

8. "One of the best employers in the world"

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rarely have I felt a company cares about you so much than at Spotify. It's the little details like vacation, health programs, afterworks, and fika all the time!

Cons

Spotify has a lot of work to be done in its promotion culture and I've seen great people leave for Facebook, GitHub, etc because of it. I know it'll get there someday.

9. "Interesting work, slow moving"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Good perks, interesting work, meaningful product

Cons

Bad management which makes things slow

"Creator Services Coordinator"

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to find a flow that works for you (minimal rigid office "norms" to follow), amazing benefits that reduce personal stress. If you're passionate about music and seek new challenges, Spotify is hard to beat right now. You have a voice, and you are encouraged to use it. Squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease.

Cons

There is an understaffing issue that is quite possibly the result of overpaying employees who aren't earning their keep. Frequent reorgs, changes in management, and standard office politics/nepotism sometimes make you feel like you're spinning your wheels no matter how hard you try to drive your own development...which they want you to do. Expect some difficulty in navigating the internal ecosystem. Tech departments and content/music departments don't speak the same language or have the same priorities. HR is an absolute mess. From the lack of transparency in hiring, to the slow-as-molasses internal experiences...Spotify is better than this.

Advice to Management

Clean up HR, consider prioritizing culture over tech every now&then, and place strong leaders on the music business side. Managers who are interested in climbing a ladder rather than building up their team will be the ultimate downfall of this fantastic company.