Spotify Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Daniel Ek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best work/life balance from a company that I have ever experienced (in 24 reviews)

• Great People, Free food, performances in the office (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • As we are still in growth mode, it comes with your typical growing pains (in 12 reviews)

• Gaining weight from all the free food (in 6 reviews)

"Great people, great culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Spotify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spotify really cares about maintaining an honest and respectful company culture, and it shows in their hiring practices, work expectations, and benefits. Awesome place to work if you love music.

Cons

Definitely feels like they're not sure where to go next. They've got a great music streaming app, but it's hard to see what the next steps are, and that "fog" can be felt in the day-to-day development cycle sometimes.

Advice to Management

I feel like Spotify should really focus on owning and improving the music space. Not that it's a problem, but don't hire more MBAs, bring in more people who really care about music.

"Amazing company that ignores some glaring problems"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Spotify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flat hierarchy even though it's a reasonable company by now. It's not hard for a junior IC to get the ear of a VP.

Innovative. 10% time to work on personal projects in R&D, no questions asked. New ideas are encouraged and rewarded.

Pretty laid back if you just want to do the tasks required. However, you do need to work extra to move up.

Fun, vibrant office, and great colleagues.

Nice perks. The free food and alcohol keep flowing. It's easy to get permission to travel to other offices or conferences. Generous PTO, free health insurance, flexible WFH,

Cons

The religious adherence to Agile Scrum makes teams lose sight of the big picture or goals longer than 2 weeks. Too many pointless meetings. Too many Agile coaches and people managers. Standups and Jira give a false sense of accomplishment for incremental tasks. If anything is accomplished by the engineers despite all this, the product manager takes all the credit.

Leadership is white male, and while diversity is always talked about to sound politically correct, the reality is different. Hiring, compensation, and promotion policies are surprisingly sexist and racist. Non-whites (including Asians), women, and some internationals are held to a higher standard than all-American white guys in the US offices, but the useless diversity rhetoric makes people assume the exact opposite.

Advice to Management

Music streaming is a difficult industry, and we should be expanding to other areas to offset the high content costs.

"Data engineer"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Lot's of variance between teams, so you can always find a team that works for you.

Cons

On the flip side of the variety of teams, some teams are very out-of-sync with the rest of the company. This is probably typical of a young company --it takes a while for culture to become standardised. Some teams are too dysfunctional, a shame for the company.

Advice to Management

Work with teams from acquired companies to adapt company culture, or maybe even move people from the rest of the company to these teams.

4. "Great people, but company with growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify (More than a year)

Pros

Best people I've ever worked with
    Amazing benefits, including generous paid parental leave and vacation policies

Cons

Lots of growing pains as a company driven by a lack of processes and lagging scaling of some of the key resources (mostly the R&D team)

Advice to Management

Leadership should be more international

"Great company - terrible team"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

It's a innovative forward thinking company, cutting edge technology and trying to be a good workplace.

Cons

All leadership is white male, in their 40's dominated. Seen many cases of sexism, favoritism, even harassment get swept under the rug.

6. "Change the future of music"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Work on a product used and loved by millions of people around the world, while keeping an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Let me think about it.

7. "Finance"

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Spotify for over a year now, and could not imagine working anywhere else.

+ Company is growing like crazy, so lots of new opportunities for career growth/oversight responsibilities.

+ Leadership cares about the employees and the culture, so lots of work is performed in managing and maintaining this. They make themselves available to every employee and actively request feedback/dialogue.

+ Spotify is genuinely trying to create a better market for artists and fans, so it's easy to get behind all the efforts the company is pushing for.

+ Incredibly smart employees create a fast-paced and evolving work environment.

Cons

While Spotify is the best company I've ever worked for, there are a couple nitpicks:

- Due to the growth of the company, there's a re-education process that's continuous as new teams and responsibilities are developed.

-As Spotify is a global company, it can be challenging syncing up with all various team members, as they'll all be in various parts of the world.

- Management already knows this, but due to the growth, office space is at a premium. It can be challenging to find some space to hold a meeting or have some quiet time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I have no feedback at this time that management is not already addressing.

8. "Client Services manager"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have good relationships at Spotify

Cons

I work long hours on most days

Advice to Management

Manage

9. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Spotify full-time

Pros

Free breakfast, catered lunch on Fridays, Occasional trips to the Stockholm office. Overall a great place to work,

Cons

You are surrounded by superstars, so if you're looking to evolve in your role, get a raise, promotion or even switch teams, you have to stand out and have the right relationships with certain individuals.

10. "Sales Operations Analyst"

I worked at Spotify full-time

Pros

Great corporate culture, free food every day, get to watch Spotify sessions in the office from famous Spotify artists! There is also a significant amount of transparency from upper level management.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover