Spotify Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Daniel Ek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains and organisational shifts, as to be expected" (in 15 reviews)

• "Gaining weight from all the free food" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Experienced Receptionist"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Very good company, good benefits, friendly people

Cons

very busy and active

2. "I loved my internship at Spotify!"

Pros

Laid back culture, supportive coworkers, fun office and very interesting problems

Cons

No cons!! I honestly can't think of one con to working here other than their limited amount of offices throughout the US

3. "Love"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Great company. Lots of perks.
    Good people

Cons

Poor middle management. More process as we get bigger. Middling agile coaches.

"Creator Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to find a flow that works for you (minimal rigid office "norms" to follow), amazing benefits that reduce personal stress. If you're passionate about music and seek new challenges, Spotify is hard to beat right now. You have a voice, and you are encouraged to use it. Squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease.

Cons

There is an understaffing issue that is quite possibly the result of overpaying employees who aren't earning their keep. Frequent reorgs, changes in management, and standard office politics/nepotism sometimes make you feel like you're spinning your wheels no matter how hard you try to drive your own development...which they want you to do. Expect some difficulty in navigating the internal ecosystem. Tech departments and content/music departments don't speak the same language or have the same priorities. HR is an absolute mess. From the lack of transparency in hiring, to the slow-as-molasses internal experiences...Spotify is better than this.

Advice to Management

Clean up HR, consider prioritizing culture over tech every now&then, and place strong leaders on the music business side. Managers who are interested in climbing a ladder rather than building up their team will be the ultimate downfall of this fantastic company.

5. "Autonomy, great perks, freedom to fail"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks, good pay, freedom to take risks and try new things

Cons

With autonomy comes reponsibility. It’s on employees to decide what to do to drive impact.

6. "Amazing culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture - transparent and friendly, which is very different from many US companies. Trust and knowledge sharing are highly valued. Culture fit is verified during the hiring process, which establishes a healthy office environment.
    The management structure is very flat. Some people may not like it, though. The benefits are generous and the work/life balance is ideal.
    There's a great amount of autonomy for the engineers with a potential for growth and startup-like sense of ownership, if you land on the team that fits (needless to say that changing teams is allowed).
    On-call policy makes sense. Engineering ecosystem is quite mature and standardized (both data and backend).

Cons

It's amazing how Spotify grew during the last 2 years. There are still a lot of fun and passionate people around, but some are leaving.
    At some point there was a deficit of senior engineers, and a lot of teams were in need of (but lacked) some guidance and a sense of direction from the management. The problem seems to be fixing itself slowly, yet some services that were "hacked together" still exist and do need maintenance.
    Engineering used to be more innovative and less leaning on out-of-the-box solutions, such as GCP stack. It makes sense from the operational point of view, but I feel like Spotify's own R&D has the capacity to generate more value by building amazing things in-house.

"Great people, great culture, best place I’ve ever worked!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and culture, stock options, benefits are amazing!! Free catered meals every day, free gym and workout classes, free music classes and in office performances from artists. Lots of global travel. Work from a roof deck in summer. Game room, nap room, library room, clubs and teams for employees!

Cons

Leadership can be junior and varies team to team. You have to be comfortable in an unstructured environment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and figure out the content piece of the org. Look internally for talent and resources before externally.

"Spotify Lacks"

I worked at Spotify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free Breakfast and Lunch Daily
    -Trip To Stockholm Office
    -Nice people overall in different teams.

Cons

The team I worked in Micromanaged. Everything was meticulously picked at. I believe if you allow your team to lead the rest follows. You feel like you are walking on eggshells most days. There was always something wrong within our team Office management was horrible. Spotify's culture and values did not reflect within my team. All about protecting management. I love the company Hated the team I worked for HR is highly inefficient, and despite its supposedly progressive policies, it rarely aligns with the interest of allowing people to do the best of their work, and mostly serves the purpose of protecting the management of the organization. On the other hand, as far as you never have to deal with HR, they won't get in your way.

Advice to Management

You must allow people to flourish.

9. "Spotify"

Current Employee - Social Media in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Social Media in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spotify is a very good company to work with

Cons

I don't have any con about spotify

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Pretty good company culture... depends on your team"

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

I've been at Spotify for a little over 2 years and I don't have too much to complain about. I love our CEO and what we've done for the music industry. I've met some wonderful and smart people here. Great work life balance.

Cons

Navigating a free ads business and a subscription model can be tough. Many stakeholders want revenue immediately which could in turn, hurt the business... while other stakeholders want to set up Spotify for the long run. We end up not making decisions that could drive us forward when we get stuck in twilights. A lot of companies have this issue.

Advice to Management

Make things a little more clear. Some of you listen to the folks doing the dirty work but keep listening and listen more. I've appreciated the opportunity.