Spotify Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 22, 2017

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online. I was invited to a phone interview. Scheduled an initial date. The recruiter had to reschedule the last minute. I never heard back from her. So I followed up and got an automatic out-of-office response. Then she finally got back to me. The night before the phone screen, she reached out and said that they found another candidate. So essentially, their recruiting team rescheduled and cancelled on me twice last minute.

I love Spotify as a company. I use the product. This makes me want to puke. I was a recruiter myself. I am proud to say I have never done something so disorganized and unprofessional to a candidate. Please stop wasting candidates time and get your acts together.

I thought Spotify had one of the best recruiting teams and practices...I guess not. Very glad I did not end up working with such team.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview started with a phone call with HR, followed by a technical interview and an onsite interview. The onsite interview involves four different interviews, each looking for different aspects: technical skills, fit and motivation.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through a referral. First call was with a recruiter. Then we scheduled a phone interview. After that it was onto the onsite where I had one system design round, one coding / algorithms round, one front-end centered round, and a culture / values interview with the potential hiring manager.

System design round was a typical system design question. Had fun just going as deep as I could with the interviewers.

Coding round was a fairly hard and large question. Didn't think I did that well but I assume expectations were adjusted based on difficulty given that I got an offer.

Front end round was a pretty fun question. Was able to get through it quite quickly so we ended up twisting the question and working on a harder version of it.

Culture / Values round was nice. Beyond just asking situational stuff here they also were curious about how familiar I would be with agile / scrum and what our day to day continuous delivery process was at my current company.

All in all the office was really cool and everyone I met with seemed very nice. Quick turnaround too -- I interviewed on a Friday, they informed me I would be receiving an offer that Monday.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

The phone screen was relatively easy: they asked about details on Java and then some questions involving data structures and algorithms. Nothing to deep, if you've been studying, you'll pass this phase without difficulties.

At the on-site, I could really see why Spotify is one of the top places for smart engineers. I had 5 talks covering system design, 2 programming interviews, 1 culture fit and 1 production issue debugging. I also had a lunch with 2 engineers that was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• System design related to Spotify products, programming questions covering data structures and algorithms, culture fit and production issue analysis.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spotify (Boston, MA).

Interview

Worst interview process. Be careful if you consider going for an onsite. They don't reimburse your expenses if you are not offered a job and they don't even have the minimum courtesy to let you know the status.

Interview Questions

• What ever they wanted to ask with out considering your skills stated on the resume   Answer Question

Senior Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

A very straightforward process. Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. An initial conversation for about 45 minutes about my current experience. A phone interview was then scheduled for the following week. After clearing the phone round, an onsite interview was scheduled after about 10 days.

Tips: Get the book 'Cracking the coding interview'. It will prove very helpful. Give yourself enough time to look through all coding problems in that book. Its certainly not exhaustive good prep material nonetheless.

Make sure you study a lot about system design and debugging a backend distributed system that is not performing well or is just dead. The system design interviews are very important for a backend engineer. I did the programming interviews very well but my system design was a little flat(it was the last interview of the day and I was exhausted) and according to HR, that made the difference between getting the offer or not.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: Asked about experience and current work.
      Tech question (on collabedit): Given a small string and a larger string, write a program to fin out if the smaller string can be generated from alphabets in the larger string. Big O complexity and best/worst case analysis.   Answer Question
    • Onsite:
      1) Find if left half of a binary tree is mirror image of right half.
      2) Theres a text string available that represents a sentence but the spaces between words are missing. Given a dictionary of valid words, recreate sentence with spaces in the right place. (standard question from book 'Cracking the coding interview'.
      3) System design question about how to design an ad-server. get and put for ad exchange and keeping track of clicks on an ad.
      4) Case study. Gave me a scenario where one of their ad servers is down and users are not seeing ads, given server login access how would you debug.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Spotify (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Recruiter phone screen that was about an hour long followed by manager phone screen that was another hour. Questions were primarily background and behavioral in question. An on-site was scheduled but then canceled due to vacation schedules of the interviewers. The coordinator said it would be rescheduled shortly. Never got a response again even after contacting the people involved multiple times. Very unprofessional and weird.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an underperforming direct report   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

One hour Skype/coding phone call w/ 2 devs followed by 6 hours onsite w/ 5 interviews with usually 2 devs and lunch w 2 devs.

The office space is one of the worst I've ever seen in that it is crowded, the lunch area was packed, and devs work in small interior rooms of about 8-12 people with 0% sunlight. Employees in another room were secretly watching my interview which was horrifying (I only know because there was a malfunction with the tv in the interview room that caused to black screen to switch and display another room w/ the director and recruiter sitting on a couch looking at me).

Besides the awful office space and gross invasion of privacy the people were all pretty nice and bright. Most of the people were in their mid twenties.

Interview Questions

• Phone: is a string an anagram.   1 Answer
    • Design system that processes files.   1 Answer
    • Debug a malfunctioning system   1 Answer
    • Find ancestors in tree structure stored in array of strings   1 Answer
    • Convert number into string of other bases   1 Answer

Performance Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify.

Interview

Where do I start... The entire process was disorganized from start to finish, i get people are busy but it doesn't reflect well on the company if you can't spend time hiring the right candidates. They choose to do phone screens through employees overseas for whatever reason. I replied back to him on a few occasions where he misplaced my email. After several breaks in communication from him, I was the more proactive one trying to nail down times, and felt like I was doing his job for him. Then he couldn't seem to understand what eastern time was. He called me two hours before my scheduled phone screen and I took it anyway out of frustration. Then insert the first on-site... It was clear no one was really that knowledgeable in my particular expertise and didn't know what to ask, but it was standard. Then comes the second round which was literally the same thing as the first round. Very simple and rudimentary questions in a sequence that didn't make any sense that only scratched the surface of my experience. It didn't allow for a meaningful and in depth exchange. I actually felt more challenged during the phone screen because at least he had a script of strategic questions that triggered certain responses or for me to illustrate my knowledge/expertise. Then to make it worse, they could barely articulate what they're looking for or what the role really is, very short winded answers. They couldn't or wouldn't (don't know which one), give insight into previous work they've done, around campaign life cycles, post campaign insights to inform me on where they're trying to go in the future. I don't even know that they knew what they were looking for in the new hire. My advice would be to put a little more time into confirming all attendees are present during the interview, and into the questions you ask. The interviewee shouldn't feel unsure during the interview on if the team is really getting a good sense of their experience due to a lack of meaningful dialogue.

Interview Questions

• Basically, show us you know why different attribution models outside of last touch are important.   1 Answer

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Spotify (Boston, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

A Spotify recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn to begin the process.

First was a call with the recruiter and the next step was an hour long technical screening via Google Hangouts.

There were 2 parts to the technical screening. In the first part I was asked to review Objective-C code written circa 2009 and to tell what is wrong with it. This process took me about 30 minutes.

Next, I was asked to write Objective-C code to parse a string delimited by newlines into an array, count the number of times each substring appears and print the result in alphabetical order. I wrote the code on a shared text editor which did not support syntax highlighting nor autocompletion.

The interviewer had to help me quite a bit throughout the process. For example, I forgot that I had to print the result in alphabetical order and when I'd get stuck on the code review, he'd push me in the right direction. I figured that given the amount of help I required that they weren't going to proceed.

During the coding portion of the interview, the interviewer asked that I don't look up any class and method references. That restriction plus writing code in a text editor made a simple task quite a challenge.

The interviewer also was careful to note typos as a "bug". While he is correct, I think it's silly to call out typos when coding in a text editor. Mind your typing during technical screening.

A week later I asked for an update and immediately received the official rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Given a string of animals delimited by new lines, count the number of times each animal appears in the string.   1 Answer