Spotify Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

AMP Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

I was asked to create and then email a marketing plan for one of the business segments for the first round. For the final round I had 2 separate video interviews, with 1 person each.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to both manage different stakeholders and a difficult stakeholder   2 Answers
    • Talk about a marketing campaign I liked   3 Answers

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in July 2020.

Interview

Waste of time. Recruiter was out of her depth, and the team didn't seem to have a connection to the larger overall mission. A lot of autonomy but very little strategic direction. The "staff" engineer who interviewed me seemed really insecure and got defensive when I asked him basic clarifying info about his job. He stopped our interview 15 minutes early because he got the time wrong, and then gave me a thumbs down for not going into more detail in my solution. What can you do.

On the bright side most of the questions were pretty easy and the work doesn't seem hard.

Interview Questions

• Standard JS prototype, closure questions, `this`, lexical scope   1 Answer
    • Design a system to share song / playlist / album plays to your friends list (like sidebar in the app)   1 Answer
    • Standard questions about a time you had an interpersonal conflict, showed leadership, etc   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify.

Interview

3/9/2020
    Applied online

3/10/2020
    Received first HR email for phone screen interview

3/13/2020
    Phone interview

3/16/2020
    Invited to interview with engineering manager

3/20/2020
    Interview with engineering manager

3/24/2020
    Invited to complete technical assignment

3/31/2020
    Received technical assignment

4/6/2020
    Turned in technical assignment

4/7/2020
    Interviewed with technical writer

4/8/2020
    Was informed of an upcoming public holiday and to look out for an email the following week

4/15/2020
    Invited for final interview

4/21/2020
    -Values interview
    -Technical interview
    -Working with product and design

4/23/2020
    Was told other finalists were interviewing and would get feedback early the next week

5/1/2020
    Received offer

Spotify was completely transparent and efficient throughout the entire interview process. I was never left in the dark to wonder about next steps and always had a clear idea about what was expected in the timeline.

I'd really like to shoutout to TK and BH for being so calm and collected when I was a big ball of nerves. They were always prepared and had plans in place for interviewing during Covid-19. They answered all of my questions and could not have been more helpful. My experience was 10/10!

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

Got an email from the Recruiter and have a portfolio review for two of my projects, design challenge, and finally get a virtual interview with a hiring manager through Google hangout

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Spotify   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Interview

The company, Spotify in New York City, contacted me back in a fast timely manner however, when I didnt get the job, they sent me another email thanking me for applying.

Interview Questions

• if I had any exeruance in the business which I did, still did not get the job   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Background and work related questions followed by coding portion.

The coding portion I solved using a fixed size array that wrapped around. The interviewer was adamant that the performance was O(n), but it was O(1) because it wrapped around with a running index.

He later agreed with me after realizing he was wrong and ran some tests.
    He asked me to change it to what he wanted which was a growing linked list up to size n instead. His reasoning was that an array was too big to allocate for and the linked list was better.

I went with his "desired" and "correct" solution.

In my head, I'm thinking: "Hold on now. You're telling me to grow a linked list up to size n instead of a fixed array of size n? you didn't specify that we were running multiple instances and can't expect size n for every instance..."

I guess it was not clear to me that he had a specific use scenario in mind when he asked the question.

I did not pass because I did not conform to the answer he knew.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some of the technologies you've used?   1 Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in June 2020.

Interview

Got the call from external recruiter and submitted my profile. In a week Initial screening scheduled with Technical Lead. They are interested to proceed further technical rounds. After a week 3 hours interview got scheduled. Interviewed with 4 people including HR(last 15 mins).

All interviewers were pretty cool, discussion was more likely previous projects.

Its been 2 weeks till didn't provided feedback and tried to reach the recruiter but not even responded back.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

LONG process. Went through 2 phone screens, an in-person interview set that lasted something like 3 hours. Went home and had to Google interview with the global department head. Was eventually told that the team couldn't decide, and that I needed to complete a take-home assignment as the next step. I know I did the assignment right because it's what I produce every day. I spent about 4 hours on this assignment and.... I was then ghosted. Infuriating and left a very bad taste in my mouth. It took 3 tries to get the recruiter to respond and tell me that she didn't have any feedback for me. YIKES.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to produce a revenue forecast for a week given X, Y, Z parameters.   Answer Question

Business Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Spotify.

Interview

Applied in November, got an email for an initial interview in January, had interview with 1 person via Google Hangout, and then had finalist interview with 2 people via Google Hangout in February.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify.

Interview

Spotify probably has the most unprofessional recruiters that I've worked with in my job search. They were extremely non-responsive. My experience was that it took about a week to get a response back from them in average. I already had a few offers when they finally asked me to be onsite. I declined without going through the final round of interview.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

Found the process to be frustrating!!!

After being contacted by three different Spotify Recruiters I responded to a role on the creator team. Went through all steps of the interview process (Phone Screen, Technical Screen, 5 Hour Onsite) with positive feedback. After conducting the final round I asked about the roles’ status as I had a competing offer. Next day was informed by the recruiter that the managers had no “spot” for me and they had to look in another team. Later I received an email saying that there was no longer a role available.

I don’t understand why they could not match the role to my skills before starting the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Traditional Leetcode problems   1 Answer