Spotify Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2018

2.9

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Recruiter phone screen - 15 mins
    2. Google Hangouts with hiring manager - 45 mins
    3. In person interview with hiring team (5 managers) - 3 hours
    Communications were timely, succinct, and informative leading up to the interviews. Spotify was incredibly rigid about scheduling and was never able to accommodate my requests. In the end, the two recruiters totally ghosted and never officially rejected me. They stopped responding to emails and to phone calls. I never got a system-generated rejection either. It's now been two months, so I certainly took the hint but do know they'll drop you like a hot potato.
    Questions were a mix of behavioral and technical accounting. Overall attitude was arrogant.

Senior Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify.

Interview

I was contacted from HR the next day I applied. The HR did not call me at the scheduled call. I emailed back and got the call after 30 mins late. (Red flag 1)
    The interview with hiring manager was via Google hangout, the overall interview was pretty easy, mostly about my past experience, why I leave etc. At the end, hiring manager told me the HR will contact me for the next step. Then for two weeks, I didn't hear anything from the HR. I finally got an offer from another company, so I followed up in email, they ghosted out as many of other candidates claimed. I didn't even get the system generated rejection email (Red flag 2).
    Overall, what I felt was Spotify's hiring process is very unprofessional and disrespectful. I used to love Spotify and hoped that it is a good company to work for, but now I have huge disappointment and even thinking it was my luck that I ended up not landing on Spotify. It can be easily told how they would treat employees as they treat candidates like this.

Spotify: You should learn from other big Tech companies like Google/Facebook how they value and treat candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

approached by recruiter,45 -60 min call with recruiter , 1 hr video screen, 6 hr on-site interview. I did not get the offer, and the worst part that they wouldn't tell why - they gave a canned answer, saying it's due to lack of experience with ABC, which was apparent from the resume, so why bring me onsite, without offering to pay the travel expenses and keep me there for 6 hours? Otherwise all the interviewers were nice and polite

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions - describe a situation when .. and your actions - 1-2 hours filled with those, programming questions - nothing fancy basic data structures, and problem solving, system troubleshooting and system architecture   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The hiring process was easy. There was and part interview process. First Phone screening then followed by 2 face to face sit downs with techs whom work there. After I was called into work the next week based on my skills

Interview Questions

• About my technical background   1 Answer

Post Production Coordinator -Los Angeles Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter via email 6 + months after I applied. I was then scheduled for a google hangout interview with the hiring manager, after that I was follow up by 3 more google hangout interviews with 3 different departments mangers, the conversations were good. I was asked about my experience and my thoughts on Spotify’s expectations etc. I was told I would be hearing back from HR on the next steps but never did, rather I was contacted by one of the hiring managers and he offer me the position over the phone without any physical interview or interaction. I was initially told this would be a 3 month employment commitment and it can be extended as per Spotify’s needs, so I accepted the job role. Once paperwork was sent to me via email the employment contract stated that this role would only be for 30 days, when I asked the hiring manager about it he said that this would just for the first month and promise after the month I would be rolled over to the 3 month contract. Even though I was blindsided by this, I convince by the hiring manager and I accepted the job role but this was a huge mistake, as I was never rolled over to the 3 month contract and I was let go within the month. The entire hiring process should of been a red flag and I should of never accepted the offer. I never saw an HR member for guidance or orientation or any of the recruiters as they are all in NY my personal documentation was never check upon hiring for identity confirmation.
    I could of pretend to be someone else and they wouldn’t of know, the whole process was very disrespectful and unprofessional. Very disappointing coming from a company like Spotify, Which I had such high hopes for.

My advice to you don’t let this company intimidate you because at the end it’s only about their gain. Make sure everything they promise is in writing and know your personal worth. I failed to do that and now I am unemployed looking for a new opportunity.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

It took 5 months to hear back from my initial application. The onsite interview was extremely disorganized. The recruiter didn't show up and after 10 minutes another recruiter took their place. Their video chat didn't function properly for another 15 minutes. I ended up using my own laptop (which I brought on my own accord) but it was very awkward because I ended up very late to speak with the interviewers in Sweden who were waiting for me to hop on. All but one of my interviews was on google hangouts. The interview messaged instructions to me via g-chat which I didn't see because I was not expecting g-chat messages. My interviewers seemed to be unsure of who I was supposed to meet with. Once I was done with my interviews, I left without a sendoff from the recruiter. There was really no need for my interview to be onsite since the majority of conversations happened online. It was all a really confusing process which was a huge pity and waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Present a solution to a data assignment with a vague question.   Answer Question
    • Hypothetical business questions related to Spotify's data.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online. I was invited to a phone interview. Scheduled an initial date. The recruiter had to reschedule the last minute. I never heard back from her. So I followed up and got an automatic out-of-office response. Then she finally got back to me. The night before the phone screen, she reached out and said that they found another candidate. So essentially, their recruiting team rescheduled and cancelled on me twice last minute.

I love Spotify as a company. I use the product. This makes me want to puke. I was a recruiter myself. I am proud to say I have never done something so disorganized and unprofessional to a candidate. Please stop wasting candidates time and get your acts together.

I thought Spotify had one of the best recruiting teams and practices...I guess not. Very glad I did not end up working with such team.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify.

Interview

Simple application process, efficient scheduling. Nice people to talk to depending on the department and office location you are interviewing for. Really good company vibes and respectable people to work for.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview started with a phone call with HR, followed by a technical interview and an onsite interview. The onsite interview involves four different interviews, each looking for different aspects: technical skills, fit and motivation.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spotify (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through a referral. First call was with a recruiter. Then we scheduled a phone interview. After that it was onto the onsite where I had one system design round, one coding / algorithms round, one front-end centered round, and a culture / values interview with the potential hiring manager.

System design round was a typical system design question. Had fun just going as deep as I could with the interviewers.

Coding round was a fairly hard and large question. Didn't think I did that well but I assume expectations were adjusted based on difficulty given that I got an offer.

Front end round was a pretty fun question. Was able to get through it quite quickly so we ended up twisting the question and working on a harder version of it.

Culture / Values round was nice. Beyond just asking situational stuff here they also were curious about how familiar I would be with agile / scrum and what our day to day continuous delivery process was at my current company.

All in all the office was really cool and everyone I met with seemed very nice. Quick turnaround too -- I interviewed on a Friday, they informed me I would be receiving an offer that Monday.