St. Camillus Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Schwab

1. "Review of Company"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at St. Camillus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work. The people are friendly, my boss is wonderful, and it's an exciting place to work during an expansion.

Cons

I don't see too many cons from perspective. It would be nice to have holidays broken out of the PTO. I realize there are people who have to work on holidays, but in a Catholic facility, holidays like Christmas should be given to employees.

Advice to Management

Communication is very good, continue with what you're doing.

2. "Homecare and Hospice"

Current Employee - Homecare and Hospice in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Homecare and Hospice in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at St. Camillus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Flexible hours and schedule. Gives different job opportunities to grow and explore. Good paid time off.

Cons

Below average annual salary. no paid holidays so need to use the PTO hours. Bare minimum salary raise. High turnovers ratio.

3. "Nurse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at St. Camillus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team environment. My opinions and suggestions are heard and valued. The management and culture are moving in a direction of improved Person-Centered-Care for the residents and for the employees. Customer service is being put in the forefront of everything that is done to ensure this is a friendly, welcoming, and spiritually centered facility that the employees are proud to be a part of, and the residents are comfortable and happy residing.

Cons

Communication between departments and employees could improve, but that is anywhere you work. Systems could improve, but again, that is anyway you work that the facility cares about what happens under their roof to make improvements.

Advice to Management

Positivity, enthusiasm, and respect for all will make St. Camillus a place that people want to work, reside, and tell their friends about.

4. "Truely the best place to work in Milwaukee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at St. Camillus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A wonderful mission statement that the organization not only follow but live it!
    Compassionate workers!
    I would feel comfortable with my parents living in a facility like St. Camillus
    Catholic based, faith filled Hospice. They live the mission, caring for the dying as Jesus cares for the Church.
    Excellent opportunities for employees to grow and flourish.

Cons

Like all facility in Wisconsin, there is a shortage of nurses and CNAs. However, St. Camillus does not let it affect the care and compassion that the residents receive. I've seen management step in when there is no staff!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! You have the best leadership team out there! Take care of them so they can take care of the employees!

5. "pool Aide"

Current Employee - Pool Aide in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Pool Aide in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at St. Camillus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they need to prove they staffing in skilled nursing Aide

Cons

they need to be giving bonus to the co-workers specially the pool Aide who is here every day

Advice to Management

they need to appriecate they co-worker special the Nurse and the CNA Aide

6. "HR"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

-Benefits
    -Friendly People
    -Generous PTO
    -Freebies like farmer's market, free popcorn Friday
    -Rewarding career to help the elderly population

Cons

nothing bad to say, great place to work!

Advice to Management

Add a reward for if someone has perfect attendance for a full year like an extra day of PTO or something to thank them for their commitment to coming to work everyday!

7. "Home Health Dept is NOT the Top Workplace!!! Former Home health RN."

Former Employee - Homecare RN in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Homecare RN in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at St. Camillus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice retirement community, residents and families. Great co workers. Great pay if you can get it. Good benefits. Nice place to work if better management.

Cons

Horrible homecare management thus the reason for extremely high turnover rate. New staff hired and left in only 60 days time. Would rather keep poor management and let good staff go....and so it will continue......sad. Astronomical amount of paperwork. No appreciation whatsoever. No orientation/training for the new hires. No guaranteed salary at all.

Advice to Management

When ALL your staff complain about management LISTEN to them.

St. Camillus Response

Jan 26, 2017 – Brand Manager

We are so sorry to hear about your experience. We have just hired a new Clinical Director as of 1/23, and one of his priorities will be improving the orientation process for new clinicians. We ... More

8. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at St. Camillus part-time

Pros

Changing from a for-profit organization to a not-for-profit organization was one of the best career decisions I ever made. Instead of aiming for numbers on a pie chart, we are aiming to make each resident safe, secure and happy. Walking through the door each day is like seeing our parents and/or grandparents and making sure they are all right. Our environment is one of caring, and the teamwork in each department to get the job done is impressive. Management keeps us up-to-date with quarterly meetings and special events to show their appreciation.

Cons

Now that I am reading to a visually-impaired resident, I hear about the frustration of having ever-changing caregivers. Just when a resident gets used to one person's care, that person leaves and someone new comes along.

Advice to Management

Better training and better incentives for CNA's to stay and/or improve their skills. It means the world to our residents to have consistency in their caregivers.

"A Growing but Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at St. Camillus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's definitely an exciting time to work for St. Camillus as they ramp up construction of a few new buildings on campus. Most of the existing buildings are also in pretty good shape and well-maintained, which says a lot in the nursing business.

Cons

The high turnover rate is definitely a negative aspect of working there. When I started working for St. Camillus in 2012, it was great and everyone was so friendly. You couldn't walk down the hall without family or staff saying hello. When I left a few months ago, the turnover rate had really taken its toll on the attitude on campus. I worked in the skilled unit and for a while the turnover was over 30% overall, and more than 50% for nurses. In my two and a half years there, most of the staff I worked with had left by the time I left. The new staff that came in just don't measure up. Gossiping is always an issue at nursing facilities, but here it some people took it to a new level. With the involvement of the Order of St. Camillus in the facility, employees who are not Catholic are certainly looked at differently from those who are. I never felt comfortable enough to be honest about my sexuality while working here, instead I lied for two and a half years. I saw my friend struggle with coworkers after they found out he was gay; he ended up transferring to a different unit. Single moms were also looked at differently from Catholic staff. This dynamic really took joy away from work.

Advice to Management

It's 2015, be more welcoming to your staff regardless of their religion, sexuality, gender, or marital status. It's also worth mentioning that A's hire A's and B's hire C's. Right now, you've got a lot of B's hiring D's.

10. "Felt at home loving & caring staff and patients!!!! I like being in a positive environment!!!! Felt loved!!!!!"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at St. Camillus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping the residents with their daily activities, being there for the residents when they family and friends can't be or don't want to be!! I feel like I'm their family or friend when they can't get who they want by their side! I want the residents to be able to improve with the help of my trusting self cause I won't fail them at all! I will treat the residents how I want to be treated!!! I'm not there to make friends with other cna's but if they need help with whom they take care of I will most definitely help!!!! I been a certified nurse assistant for 13 years I know a lot at the same time willing to learn more!!!!!

Cons

Working with bad cna's or bad nurses (it's good cna's like myself and nurses please don't misunderstand me) At the same time I still do my best for the residents and I don't tolerate abuse I will report it right away cause the residents don't deserve that in no way shape or form!!!! Sometimes residents might be abusive to the staff, I will report it to the nurses who's on that shift and continue to be the best nurse assistant as I can!!!! Sometimes pay not good for the cna's I been a nurse asst. for 13 years I experience bad and good pay!!!! Sometimes staff call in or have to leave due to family emergencies I understand, but it's also extra work on cna's I will still do my best for the residents!!!

Advice to Management

Well, hi first of all (smiling) please speak to show you care about the cna's, put yourself in cna's shoes, don't be judgemental in a negative way towards cna's, hear both side to a story, take inconceration some staff members have flaws with family issues or with them selves and at times not all the times those be your hard workers that been let go due to there self and family problems give them a chance! Don't fire them right away!!! I seen some that really do an excellent job taking care of the residents!!! Never know what goes on in peoples personal lives, but they want to work to take care of residents and to take care of them selves or they family just hear your staff out before firing them!!!! Increase pay please!!!