Stable Kernel Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2022

Found 13 of over 13 reviews

4.5
Stable Kernel CEO Joe Conway (no image)
Joe Conway

57 Comments

Tech

207.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Stable Kernel~1306823
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance(in 4 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great company and benefits

Mar 4, 2022 - User Experience Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of Pros: the office location, the benefits, the flex work schedule, the professional development opportunities. They are truly great people.

Cons

It's a lot of work and sometimes the clients can be difficult.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Truly a great place to work

Feb 1, 2022 - Senior Client Engagement Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Company leadership has strong values and clearly communicates the vision and goals of the organization. - Meaningful work with colleagues who care about doing excellent work and treating each other with kindness and respect. - Hybrid working environment. Working from home is supported and encouraged, and a great office on the Atlanta beltline is available for fully vaccinated team members to use if desired. - Employer-paid health insurance for employees. - 4 weeks of PTO - Pursuit of personal development opportunities is encouraged and enabled, including an annual stipend to pay for courses. - Opportunities for growth and advancement

Cons

Will update if any surface

COO

We appreciate your positive feedback! We truly do build Stable Kernel together - thank you for all you are doing to ensure this is a great company for our colleagues and our clients!

3. 4.0

Good people

Sep 28, 2021 - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good coworkers, cute office, great remote policies

Cons

some projects are rough, clients can sometimes be a challenge

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Beautiful workspace, talented coworkers, inspiring leaders

Jan 30, 2020 - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to build meaningful professional relationships, a land full of acknowledgement and praise, engaged and respectful clients, feelings of empowerment daily, structured management, beautiful workspace, dog-friendly office, strong communication, realistic work/life balance

Cons

No cons at the moment!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

An Amazing Place for Amazing People

Nov 20, 2018 - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1) Every day is a great day with the SK family. I spend many late evenings going out with them and consider each and every person I work with as a personal friend. 2) When someone is not a team player, action is taken to help align them with our expectations. Generous amounts of advice is given and people take an interest in helping employees grow. 3) Culture is important. Stable Kernel takes this seriously. Diversity education, acting classes, movie nights, happy hours, healthy food in the fridge, yoga classes, wellness education all play key parts in maintaining a culture which strives above all else to show genuine interest in your growth as a person. 4) Work life balance is a real thing. I was chided for many months about taking a vacation. SK does not want to burn out software developers and they manage the stress very well. 5) Individual responsibility and personal integrity are stressed and they reward it by allowing you to lead large projects for big name clients which are exciting and rewarding. Each project brings something interesting to the table and learning and sharing how you manage it provides wonderful incentives for growth. 6) Conference budget!! You are encouraged as an employee to seek out places and events where you feel you can learn. This is not some flim-flam statement. My first year I was told I needed to go to a conference, so I went on a cruise and learned about wed development. They take professional development seriously and encourage you to find avenues to learn and network within the industry. Speaking of speaking, if you speak at a conference, it does not count as your conference, but rather just as your job. You will be encouraged to find a new level of confidence and find skills that you never knew you had.

Cons

Sometimes finding a path forward in your career is left as an exercise to the employee.

6. 5.0

stable|kernel is family.

Jul 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working at stable|kernel for over 3 years and I can say without a doubt it is the most fantastic place to work. The culture is so welcoming and positive - these people you see every day really become your family. There is a strong sense of camaraderie and each department regardless if you're marketing or engineering work together to make the company better. You are constantly challenged to learn something new and there are so many ways to grow professionally. You can always count on your fellow colleagues to support you and help you get there.

Cons

Being a young company, there are times where we have to work through the kinks of how we are organized and different processes, but things always get worked out. We are growing together.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A genuinely great place to work

Apr 25, 2018 - Senior User Experience Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues, nice benefits, management that listens. Many opportunities to develop your career down whatever path you find most interesting. Also, one of the only places I've ever worked where I like everyone I work with — they care a lot about maintaining a healthy and positive culture at work. Respectful of work/life balance, OT is rare.

Cons

Client projects haven't always the most fulfilling, but we're getting better and better work all the time.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Grow

Mar 6, 2018 - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Employee Development Program is really good - Great culture of learning and sharing - Can work from home whenever - Excellent work life balance

Cons

- Clients can be frustrating

9. 2.0
    Former Employee

To be avoided

Feb 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Initially, Stable Kernel seemed like a great place that cares about their employees. Unfortunately, the bigger and greedier they got, the more these things changed. They seem to give younger, junior developers a chance too. Something that I consider a pro, given that everyone needs to start somewhere.

Cons

Stable Kernel likes to make promises in all directions from benefits to improvement in the daily work up to bonuses and reviews that will never happen. Initially all that sounds good, but with no oversight and an opaque management, they always fell short on their promises. It is no wonder that there is basically no professional project management after their initial project manager was let go early last year. Even when clients mention this fact and the company will promise to do better you might end up alone on a project for weeks to come. When projects turn out to be poisonous after months of them dragging their feet without delivering any presentable results, other parties are blamed and some managers might even go into the direct offense with the client trying to blame them. Any try from individuals to surface these issues will be directly used to tell you that you are wrong. Answers given to internal (anonymous) surveys, that could have helped to improve the situation, were instantly turned around and you've been proven wrong in a harsh and commanding manner. Even if it's factual things like certain people receiving twice the time off than everyone else. It shouldn't come as a surprise that they even pressured their employees to positively respond on a "best places to work" survey. A place to avoid at any given cost if you expected a supporting workplace.

2 people found this review helpful

VP Operations

While we suspect this review was left by the same employee who posted previously, we believe it’s important to address his feedback so that potential employees and clients who may be a great fit for stable|kernel can find us. Here’s what we have always held to be important: * Our company values: we practice integrity always; we respect ourselves and others; we stay hungry for ways to improve ourselves and our company; we remain curious and agile, and we ask for constant feedback as there is always something to learn and always something to teach. * It’s imperative that we are inspired by our clients, that we practice becoming better, and that we grow this company together. * We keep our promises. * Strong project management is invaluable to client success. We have grown a professional project management team that ensures we have smoothly run projects, clear communication, and delighted clients. * We believe supporting the individual learning paths of our employees is not only the right thing to do for them, but is also the best way to build this company. As our colleagues master skills and hone their craft, they become more valuable to our clients and our company. We compensate such growth accordingly. Our commitment to these things has been unwavering. If you’re interested in learning more about stable|kernel, we hope you'll reach out to us!

10. 2.0

A turn for the worse

Oct 18, 2017 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has trust in developers to get things done. As a small consulting shop, each developer is essentially platform lead on a project. So even if you are right out of school you will have the opportunity to be lead on a project, to learn and make mistakes.

Cons

The company is struggling financially and culturally. In the last 5 months, 40% of the engineering team has quit. This year the company cut health insurance benefits for everyone. They also dropped from 6% 401k matching to 4%. New hires are being given used (sometimes broken) MacBooks. The company is nickel​ and dime-ing every purchase. The culture of the company has also changed. The management implemented several initiatives to promote learning, sharing and open communication. However it isn't getting through to the employees. It is very hard to learn from the experience of anyone else in the company. There is very little knowledge sharing or mentoring. Each developer is siloed on their own project. People are left to review and merge their own code. The main focus is just getting work done as quickly as possible, without regard to quality or project health. Communication with clients is also failing. Some project leads are openly hostile with their clients.... who probably won't stay clients for long. Because everyone is working on their own project, management is unaware of how each project is progressing. Some projects are moving dreadfully slow with lots of problems, while others are moving very quickly with very few problems. To management they all look the same and all receive the same (lack of) attention.

4 people found this review helpful

VP Operations

We are very intentional about asking for feedback, so it's upsetting that we haven't heard these concerns voiced internally. It takes all of our voices and efforts to grow this company, and we suspect that the person who wrote this has since left s|k. Nonetheless, we've taken this feedback to heart and would like to respond to it and clear up some factual inaccuracies. * s|k is in no way struggling financially or culturally. In fact, we're proud to be #532 of Inc's Fastest Growing Companies in America, we're adding to our roster of clients and colleagues all the time, and our employee engagement score has been consistently in the top 10% of Officevibe's Benchmarking Scale (we use officevibe to anonymously survey our employees at least once a week to make sure we're aware of how we're doing). * While employees certainly choose to move on (and some have been asked to), our retention rate is far superior to the average in our industry. We are thrilled to regularly celebrate 2nd, 3rd and even 4th anniversaries within our four-year-old company. At no time have 40% of our developers quit. * We provide industry and small-business leading healthcare benefits to our employees, even at a time of great upset in the insurance industry (in fact, we subsidize 99.9% of the excellent medical, vision and dental insurance of our workers). We also contribute generously to their family plans. * There hasn't been any change in our 401K match. We continue to match at the 6% level. * We offer a stocked kitchen, an incredible location on the BeltLine, new equipment, standing desks, field trips, special events, generous perks, and more. We use our money wisely for the good of the company and those who work for it. * We have never knowingly provided anyone with a damaged computer. Most new hires receive a new computer on their first day. * Learning & Sharing are part of our core values as a company: we expect everyone to learn and share every day. Additionally, we have structured lunch and learns at least twice a month, unlimited 1:1 mentoring/coaching, constant healthy debates and collaboration, we cover the cost of an annual conference for each employee every year, and more. * While some of our projects have required only one engineer, such arrangements aren't the norm. Most engineers work on a project team with a project lead, other developers, a designer, and a project manager. * Our existing project management team and our project leaders ensure that our clients are engaged and satisfied. The management team keeps close tabs on project success and continues to add tools to our arsenal that allow us to monitor the health of every project. In fact, most of our clients have come back to us for additional work and have referred us to others. If you're reading this review and are interested in learning more about working with us, please reach out and get to know us for yourself.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews