Systems In Motion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Orttung

"Great place to grow, have to set your own limits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Being in an environment where there is a ton of devs with vary levels of experience is awesome. If you want to learn something there is always someone who has experience. Game room is pretty nice and people are actually free to use it when they want, not like other places I've been where going to the lounge was frowned upon.

Work-life balance is fine as long as you speak up. If a project gets behind and someone ask you to put in time they are truly asking. If you say that you can't work 60 hr weeks people will understand. That said, I've rarely had to put in more than a 40 hour work week.

Lots of room for growth if you show initiative and are good at what you do. If you're mediocre there's just too much talent coming in to expect growth.

Cons

Time off and PTO are rolled together which is unfortunate. There isn't a lot of consistency in project length, you may be on a project for 3 months or 3 years. There's always work, but it would be nice to know when you can expect to pick up something new.

2. "most horrible company to work for!"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

all projects are Agile, which helps gain more knowledge on Agile methodolgy

Cons

terrible management.
    boring projects.
    HR and managers have a lot of politics going around

"IT Architect"

Former Employee - IT Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Systems In Motion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get you a job reasonably quickly.

Cons

FRAUDSTERS
    These guys have marketing agents that could sell ice cream to an eskimo. They promise stuff, sign contracts and show as though they offer the real deal. But when the time to deliver comes, they relegate on their promises big time!! Probably one of the biggest cheats I have ever seen. And you will realize the same when you do business with these phonies.

Advice to Management

Try to put yourselves in the shoes of the employees and see how you feel.

"Disappointed at the company at the rate it's going at. The company is not stable and it will not take long for the compa"

Current Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gives chance to Juniors and hires a lot.
    Flexible Hours (Can be an issue if you question anything, see cons)

Cons

Hours are flexible but it all depends on HR and Managers. If anyone of them have issues with an individual, then you're in for a rough drive. The company is not stable at this time because there are lots of new changes and almost all sr. management is new. HR always lacked in providing good service and their doors are always closed and HR has big attitude issues, extremely moody and rude. HR is really good at blaming the managers and employees without taking any type of ownership. Despite all of this, HR people are getting promoted like anything and most of HR people barely has 3-4 years of experience. Kids running the company, great.

Advice to Management

Please fix the problems instead of promoting HR, who doesn't deserve it. You should be promoting Developers who work extremely hard and fulfil clients requirements. HR is a Major problem and very controlling; you should be fixing that and take some corrective actions. HR shouldn't be involved in everything and should be kept away, just like they're famous at keeping their doors closed 5-6 hours of the day. They have so many people in HR and hard to believe that they don't have time for employees. Perhaps they need better management and at least we used to get better response as now we can't even say anything because HR reports directly to a CEO, putting fear in people is not good.
    Give us Market value compensations and please do 401k match, most employers do with great medical benefits.

The new CEO, Mark, I don't have faith in this company any more. Old management was better and stable.

Feb 17, 2015 – CEO

The issues you raise are of great concern to me and I would like the opportunity to address them directly with you. I can assure you I will handle your feedback with the utmost confidentiality. I ... More

"No value for the employees and low balls people"

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has very experienced and nice human beings in personal life. They give chance to juniors.

Cons

There is no work-life balance because Bosses expects a LOT. Sales/VPs' gives wrong expectations to the clients and it results into employees working 50+ hours per week.
    Juniors don't get proper training and that results into their poor work ethic as most of them are fresh out of high school and never had a full-time job before.
    Bosses are dishonest and lies to employees: They promise Overtime pay but they don't pay; they promise extra PTO time for working OT but they don't give out extra PTO as promised.
    HR Department is useless and hardly ever helps Employees and they start feeding wrong information to managers/bosses that results in employees's termination or quitting. HR is too controlling and moody, employees are scared to contact HR for any issues for the same reason. No one can really say anything to HR because they report to Sr. higher-up management. HR basically makes the final decision.
    As noted above in Pros: you hire really good people but hardly any of them can work in a team environment including Sr. Management. Recent VPs are experienced but they have no work ethic and can't work with team.

Advice to Management

You need to INVEST in your employees to gain better results and to avoid high retention.
    You need to know and care about employees' Personal/work life, it motivates US to do a better job.
    There is a career path for the employee but it's really non-existent because you hardly ever follow the career model. So, there is no personal growth.
    Compensation is another BIG which Systems In Motion lacks in. You need to pay your employees for what they are worth. Stop low balling people and cheap out on us because WE ARE the one DOING the WORK and not YOU!!

Dec 10, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your candid feedback. Let me assure you that your views are seen by me and the entire management team. We care about you and the culture of this company and are committed to improving ... More

"Cheap and no Morale"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hires a lot of people. Work with new technology with different clients.

Cons

They hire anybody! There is no process on who to reach out to when need help. No org chart in the company. HR is very manipulative and extremely judgmental. Promises to talk to Management about given issue and they never do and upon reaching to the management, they aren't aware of the issue of hand. You can't disagree with HR, if you disagree, you're automatically in their bad side and turns into termination or an employee quits. I lost 3 of my colleagues from one project due to HR and their games. They control reviews and even if the Manger gives you good reviews, they ask Manager to change to keep it neutral, so they don't have to give out raises. HR tells anyone off and is extremely busy, the door is always closed and never helpful. Same goes to other HR because their doors are closed most of the time.
    Everyone is overworked and no overtime pay. Multiple projects (I'm on two projects), tight deadlines, due to that it results into working 7 days a week, includes nights and weekends.
    I have been at SIM for 15 months as Jr. Developer and not making anywhere near to what I can make elsewhere. I have raised my issue to my manager and HR and I'm told HR controls it. HR is inutile and they hire anyone despite being technically weak. They had to fire jr. devs because they shouldn't have been hired but HR passed them, including one of their own member because their appearance looked good and had a good personality.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, have a direct contact with them and understand our concerns. Stop being cheap and pay us what we deserve. Tell HR to stop interfering in everyone's business and ask them to genuinely help us.
    Mr. New CEO, you have lots of work to do and I'm glad previous CEO is no longer in-charge.

Dec 10, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. As you point out, there are many issues for me to look into. I will dig in to get a better understanding. What would help me the most would be specific details. If ... More

"Uncertainty prevails"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start your career given that you get opportunity in mix of different technologies for different clients of SIM. You can get sense of what is worst in industry in this company.

They hire anyone.

Cons

A lot of internal politics. Company doesn't care about its employees at all. No notice period in case of laying off. No bonus or raised for employees and worst of all they would continuously ask you to work on weekends and will not give you any credit for that. Employees hopping from projects to projects are very common practice. Not even big fish inside company does not know whether they will get next project or get laid off.

They hire anyone, so be ready to work with people who even doesn't know a thing.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about your employees.

"Tone Deaf"

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees under senior management are hard working, very helpful, and very skilled.

Cons

Management is tone deaf. Instead of listening to their employees and putting in place structure that not only will help the company grow but also help the employees grow as well, the came here and respond to truthful reviews with lies all in the name of getting their score above a 3.5. Do they not understand that the best marketing tool to change the perception to potential employees is to have happy current employees.

In their response below they talk about growth and quick advancement. They have a fast path program for developers that is supposed to get them from Jr level to Sr level in a 2 year span. To date there have only been 2 participants. As far as team leads are concerned they say its a role not a title. That means I could be a lead on a project today, but when I go to another project I'll be just another developer. How is that for advancement. It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it SIM mantra is to keep cost down. They work us like dogs, give us some recognition and a $50 gift card, yet at review time they always try and justify not giving us market value.

Clearly defined policies don't exist. The policies are enforced at the whim of HR. The majority of employees when they were interviewed and ultimately hired were told about policies that make them unique. Those policies were Core hours and Work from Home. These are the policies that most of us live by. As long as you are on Hr's good side you are allowed to follow these policies. However if you get in their crosshairs you get told that these are not actually policies, or you get told that we don't like the concept of core hours. You get told that business hours are from 9 -6. Yet hardly anybody is in the office at 9 am, and the majority of people are gone by 5:30 pm. If they actually enforced this rule they would lose the majority of their employees. I am not sure why they would tell a blatant lie as the one they told in the response below.

As I have stated before there is no growth. After being in business 5 years they have yet to establish a career path for any department. There are absolutely no core competencies that someone can be judged against at review time in order to justify raise and advancement. Our reviews are a list of accomplishments that we list out and give to HR and our manager to put on our review.As far as your development you either sink or swim. You are thrown to the wolves. For Jr level associates you go through a 2 week training course if you're lucky. During this time you are given project task to complete for projects that you are not on. The trainee's aren't given much direction but expected to complete the task. There are labs set up to supposedly develop our skills yet there are no tools set up on the computers provided for the employees to use. How are we supposed to develop skills that they lie and tell our clients we have and yet not get those tools for us to learn.

Advice to Management

Stop being tone deaf. Value the work that "WE" your employees do. HR do your job and actually be the support system that we need. Stop being easily agitated and diva-ish when employees come to you with issues and concerns. Don't call them whiners when they reach out to others because you refused to do your job. If there is a policy that you don't like then as HR go to upper management and change it. Don't use your dislike for a policy as a way to selectively railroad people because you don't want to pay them what they are worth. Stop worrying about a 3.5 glass door score as a reason to celebrate and actually change the perception you have in the market place. No matter how many fake reviews you have people do it still won't overcome the negative word of mouth you get from current and former employees for the way you treat them, and the lies you tell.

"Very nice experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SIM is really a good place to work, people are really nice. The HR department is the best I've seen in my life. Colleagues are really nice and willing to help peers. Working is kind of flexible and never overtime!!

Cons

Salary is not really good compare to other IT companies

Advice to Management

Assign people to group based on their experience and resume.

"May you live in interesting times and interesting people notice you."

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at SIM for a while now and I've quite liked my time there. In my time there I've worked on a number of projects and have learned a lot of new business processes and technology. I've been fortunate in my time there as I've gone from code monkey to management back to code monkey (for now) and I've never felt disrespected by SIM itself. SIM is a hard knocks kind of work place which I love. Co-workers are great, senior management has always been available to me and have been very approachable. In the time I've worked with SIM my wages have nearly doubled, they have not been stingy with the raises and others have also been well treated, however these are top performers too.

Cons

As I said it's a hard knocks kind of place to work. Many employees come in having heard promises of on-the-job-training which there is, by doing stuff. It's a meat grinder, especially new people can find the expectations daunting and it's not a kind and fuzzy place in the thick of delivery. There are some abusive managers.

It's really easy for the less assertive to feel completely bowled over, or if one believes anyone but themselves is responsible for their career development then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Create an Alumni Association for former employees.