TDS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
LeRoy T. Carlson Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "TDS"

Pros

Nice work life balance, everyone is very friendly

Cons

none that i can think of

Apr 24, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback! We're glad to hear that your coworkers are friendly and you are finding a good work-life balance with us. We hope you continue to enjoy being a TDS... More

2. "Overall Good Company, With a Few Growth Areas"

I worked at TDS full-time

Pros

Industry slight above average benefits, potential advancement opportunities, overall good work/life balance.

CEO is an informed, involved, and respectable person. He gives town halls on the state of the company, and answers questions that employees have. He empowers his senior management team.

I enjoyed working here, and had strong relationships with management and peers. It is not a cutthroat environment, and you will get the support you need.

Cons

Mediocre pay scales. They claim the benefits balance out the pay, but that does not seem to be true anymore. Every couple years they cut benefits in some fashion. If above average pay/total rewards is important, this is not the place.

While they are a strong proponent of individual growth and advancement, they sometimes do this because they "like" someone, not because they are most qualified. Simply being in the upper managements' good graces, and existing there long enough can land you a management job, even if it is not the ideal fit. They seem afraid to hire management from outside the company, therefore inhibiting the growth of new management ideas and talent.

Also, they are not technologically current. As a conservative company, TDS waits until "last minute" to advance. Most of my projects were digging out of holes due to being years behind. Somewhat humorous fact: When I started at TDS, (which is a telephone company) my desk phone was so old that it had yellowed with age.

Advice to Management

Try to foster less of a cliquey environment. Favoritism is obvious and widespread.

3. "Consumer Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Saint George, UT

I have been working at TDS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, vacation and holiday Pay

Cons

Hourly Pay compared to Competitors
    Too many changes within a short period on commission structure

Advice to Management

Come up with a plan to follow for internal development. Offer more employee involvement and a better work balance mode with alternative days to work from home.

Nov 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Based on your job title, we believe this review is intended for TDS Telecom. You do have the option to move your review to their page. Thank you!

4. "Good job, bad management."

I have been working at TDS full-time

Pros

Very good entry level career. Many different avenues to explore plus good benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

If your not liked by your superiors don't expect advancement.

Advice to Management

Trying foster a more inclusive atmospher.

5. "Sr Software Engineer"

I worked at TDS full-time

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

Technology stack is 10 years behind ( 2017 still using java 6)

"Fix it and forget it" has led to decades of tech debt

Unwilling to change much of anything

Advice to Management

Stop fighting change

6. "It was ok"

I worked at TDS full-time

Pros

Great benefits, ok coworkers. Incentives are nice.

Cons

Horrible management. They look for quantity over quality.

Advice to Management

Listen to your reps who actually put in work, instead of praising the workers who do nothing.

May 8, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear that you were happy with the benefits and incentives, but sorry to hear you have an unfavorable opinion of management. We encourage... More

7. "Not a bad gig"

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Saint George, UT

I have been working at TDS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not constantly looking over your shoulder. They only have meetings on Monday and some Fridays. Sales Manager is way cool and easy going. Regional Manager is freaking awesome, everyone is a pleasure to work with and a joy to be around. You're constantly working along side the marketing manager who is very fun and such a nice person too.

Cons

Departments don't talk to each other. Very little training to become better. Salary stays the same year after a year, and needs to go up. Company still uses paper for order taking instead of using technology. Not very many opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

Get an app.

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear you enjoy your colleagues and work environment. We also appreciate your sharing feedback about communication and growth opportunities... More

8. "TDS"

Former Employee - FST in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - FST in Knoxville, TN

I worked at TDS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay good benefits

Cons

Corporate always has hands in something messing it up . Micro management as well but other than that great place to work

Advice to Management

Bump pay up to keep good workers . Develop some promotion scales to move with in company

Mar 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments! We're glad to hear you are happy with the pay and benefits. Based on your position title and location, we believe your review was intended for our... More

9. "Review"

I have been working at TDS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employer that cares about employees

Cons

None that are reasonable to discuss

Advice to Management

None

Mar 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We are glad to hear that you're enjoying your position with TDS, and that you feel valued.

10. "Love my job - Sales Advisor"

Current Employee - Consumer Sales
    Current Employee - Consumer Sales

I have been working at TDS full-time

Pros

Great pay if you work somewhat hard and come to work. That's literally all you have to do. I've never not gotten a bonus but I work hard and come to work consistently. I've seen many people bonus even who don't. Love the pay, the management is friendly. making it seem like a family run company even though it's not. With working remote options available, seems like a ton of room to advance no matter what market you're in.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Mar 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying your position. Based on your title, we believe your review was intended for our sister company, TDS Telecom... More