TOMS Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
TOMS CEO Jim Alling
Jim Alling

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • FREE giving trip after 1, 3 & 5 years (in 19 reviews)

• TOMS is 100% giving One for One with all of our products which is our commitment to all (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership team that is lacking a strong vision from the very top of the house (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of direction from upper management (in 6 reviews)

"TOMS is the real deal!"

I have been working at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small but mighty, TOMS has an amazing team. It's truly impressive to see how much can be accomplished by a targeted group of passionate people who truly want to improve lives through business. Outside of the adorable puppies, slides, ping pong tables at HQ, this is a business that truly balances the work hard/play hard mentality. TOMS ensures everyone is here for the same reason, even offering "Giving Trips" to employees, placing true meaning behind the work we do every day. Simply put, I’m proud to work at TOMS.

Cons

Depending on how you look at it, some may struggle without a process or procedure around every component of their day. For those that want more of the same, this may not be the ideal company. For anyone searching for a way to utilize their business acumen while making a positive impact in the world, this is THE place to be.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. The future potential of this company is yet to be realized and management does an incredible job of being transparent and strategic.

"Great Mission, highly political, declining sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

You get to go on a giving trip to different countries ( South Americas ) and submerge yourself in a local town or village and see the impact TOMS has on children with no shoes. Free barista, matching 401k, dog friendly, nice HQ with plenty of space. Great co-workers ( for the most part ).

Cons

There are clear favorites in every department or business segments. I've seen people get promoted every year or at least 1 promotion every two years. Others are overlooked, told they need to do more, but not given more work or opportunities to shine. So, basically how well can you manage up? How many meetings can you go to and show your face, put yourself out there, get known, build alliances with others so when they have their year end review, people say great things about you. The performance review is somewhat of a joke. I'm glad it is no longer discretionary and most of it is based on EBITDA. The company is running slim and there are still going to be some more layoffs. I still gave this company 3 stars because I for the most part enjoyed my time at TOMS. Every place is political, I just don't think you have to be an a%$ kisser to get ahead at ALL companies. Titles don't mean much just dictates your pay. A lot of top heavy positions, but not enough senior level employees to put in the hard work. Product is not that great, but they've put a lot of money on future seasons so maybe that will change. Lastly, at the end of the day, TOMS is a for profit business. They try to portray that they are contributing so much to help children, but they could easily just donate the money to those communities. People need food and water, paved roads, better infrastructure, not a pair of shoes which are the cheapest kind they purchase. It's the classic, give a man a fish, but don't teach him to be a fisherman. Change the give model to donate real resources and not shoes because it's 2017, A LOT of companies give back as part of their business model now!

Advice to Management

Better turn the ship, as great as the mission is, we all have families and bills to pay. Get rid of your stupid goals and written bullsh!t and focus on rewarding your most talented and best employees. Ultimately, the wasted money at the TOP will make the business suffer. Hold people accountable, demand and expect great things from your employees. Be transparent about the dire situation TOMS is in instead of telling us lies about the future.

Jul 14, 2017 – VP Talent Management

Thank you for writing about your experience at TOMS. It is very important to us to create a culture in which you can speak with your manager freely about your ideas and concerns, and if you haven’t... More

"Don't be fooled by all of the positive reviews"

I have been working at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My paycheck has not bounced yet.

Cons

HR has been tasked to get the glassdoor ratings up. Instead of actually fixing the issues, there are some posts that are not authentic. This should give you an idea of what it is like to work here. I am interviewing currently and hope to make my status be 'former employee' very soon.

Advice to Management

The problem is not mid or low level employees, the problem is with management who is now in place and has been making bad decisions for the last few years. Listen to your employees when they group together and speak up about their managers. You are listening to the wrong people.

Jul 14, 2017 – VP Talent Management

Thanks for your feedback, we encourage employees to share authentic reviews whether they are positive or not, so that we can learn where we need to improve. We’d like to learn more about your... More

4. "TOMS is not the TOMS same any more"

I have been working at TOMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TOMS is a generous company that gives and helps people around the world.

Cons

TOMS has changed very dramatically this year. Most of the benefits like free employee shoes, cakes, giving trips, and other benefits are becoming a thing of a past. There are flexible hours and work from home for some employees but if your boss is not willing to work very hard you get to take the load while she/he is "working from home." It makes it more difficult to get the job done when people work remotely. They don't always respond to emails and have to work around their schedule. It creates more work for the rest.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your Director level employees. Some lead by fear, unwilling to work hard and don't show much appreciation to employees who work hard.

"Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at TOMS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-401k plan
    -free shoes every season
    -partake in crafts and small events around the neighborhood

Cons

-restricted hours
    -Restricted hours
    -Fraternization
    -Neglectful
    -no room for growth

Advice to Management

To Blake Mycoskie it was a pleasure working through a family of employees to give the ability to walk with cuts in their feet or have a person see the world around them which may feel like the first time. These wonderful things that we did to help replenish themselves when they were thirsty or had brought a new life safely into this world motivated me to keep trying and pushing to do my best. While training the bar staff on shift so We not only gave all of our customers a reason to come back through the story of Toms New York or Toms (One for One) and how everyday is a journey to comfort or convenience for these families and people that would struggle a little more everyday due to these natural or greedy setbacks that we have in our world today. That was our story this was our movement! However, within the confinements of the store we shared a story but we didn't include our own. We didn't express the level of unprofessional behavior that happened when customers weren't listening or in the store. Either about employees or the customers themselves. I do understand that within every work place there is a level of comfort that people hit. When they speak about their previous moments with another customer and how it may have been entertaining or funny. This sadly was not the case. It actually not only disappointed but hurt me to even know that head management was causing excessive gossip in the work environment. Along with including other fellow employees that did not want to be involved. This made the work environment very tense due to our hours being restricted without previously being informed as to why we were not allowed to have more then 20 hours a week. Especially when some needs a coverage so they try to give 6 hours to a person in need of some financial stability to then have it denied. Due to it being restricted. It seems unfair. I do support and love to help people but I cannot do that with other peoples lives falling apart in front of me. I would love to work for Toms (One for One) as long as it was an honest straight to the point job that just worked on helping others without the setbacks or drama. I am a very dedicated employee that loves to work on not only themselves but others as well. Trying to force myself to stay when I wasn't going anywhere and how I was directed involved with everything listed above. It just hurts me to know how a great company could have such dark flaws in one flagship store.

Feb 16, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you for your feedback. We are always working to improve. We have shared this post with our retail team. If you are willing to discuss any mentioned details further offline, please reach out to... More

"Many employees start off passionate about the mission and the "good" you are doing, but TOMS has a long way to go."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours (if your boss permits)
    Bring your dog to work
    Free coffee
    Opportunities for travel and off-site events
    Some great people that will be your friends for life

Cons

NO accountability - many senior and junior level employees have been able to get away with unacceptable behavior (stealing, lying, disrespect to their jr. level employees) because C level turns a blind eye or feels unequipped to handle disciplinary actions.
    Freelance/contract staff are not valued or rewarded for their hard work, although they keep the company functioning and in operation.
    Many people have been discouraged by lack of & change in leadership. The two biggest thorns in the side of the company are last-minute changes to enormous campaigns and projects, and un-vetted & unequipped director- and VP-level leaders.
    TOMS has lost an uncountable number of talented people because of the stifling environment created by the above, along with unrealistic budgets, and an uneven distribution of power and resources. Many manager and coordinator level workers are not properly managed or monitored for efficiency, and abuse company resources and time due to the lack of attention placed from the mid-level down.

Advice to Management

Empower your C-level leaders to make actual decisions and support them in the process.
    Instill accountability in your senior level employees with hard deadlines and consequences if projects are not completed. Jim Alling is a great CEO and leader, he should embrace his position and continue to engage with and empower his employees.

Jan 23, 2017 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you for your feedback. We're always working to improve. If you'd like to discuss your experience of C level employees turning a blind eye or any other points mentioned further offline, please... More

"Fantastic Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

TOMS is truly a special place to work. Amazing people, beautiful office, and great work/life balance. The company cares about their employees and everyone there seems to really enjoy their job and the people around them. And, TOMS is truly driven by its culture of giving back, leaving employees with the motivation and desire to continue helping the company grow.

TOMS' new leadership team is made up of such an impressive collection of people. They are committed to constant improvement and encourage employees to take on important and impactful projects. I love the direction that this company is moving in and I see so many great opportunities for professional development and career growth.

Cons

Employees that have been with TOMS the longest seem somewhat uncertain about the changes being made. However, as someone who arrived during the transition and did not have those previous biases, I thought the changes being made were necessary and showed the company’s dedication to improvement. As I said before, I love the direction TOMS is moving in and I am very confident that they have the right people in place for the future

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent and direct regarding changes. Keep up the great work in providing a great work environment.

Dec 6, 2016 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful feedback.

"Changing in a bad way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is the best part of working at TOMS

Cons

even though the mission is great the motivation is still profit and doing more with less and less people. Leadership is too disconnected and continue to fire the best people while keeping the so-so or cheaper labor. Although Jim has been a great addition to TOMS, the rest of the leadership team leaves a lot to be desired, especially in Technology.

Advice to Management

don't be misled by the good talkers - find out what's really going on when people quit - fear of retribution keeps people from speaking up now.

"With Accountability Comes Results"

Current Employee - Employee Experience Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Experience Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TOMS is still very much a startup while being a mid size company. Both of those have very different implications. In one way we are still nimble and able to move quickly where needed. But, thanks to Bain and new leadership we have a lot of processes being added that are creating a much more efficient and effective business.

If you enjoy a challenge and want to learn to grow as a professional, this is a great place with opportunities to do that if you are willing to put in the effort on your own. If you want an easy job where you can sit back, collect a paycheck, and have an inflated title this is not the place for you.

TOMS is 100% giving One for One with all of our products which is our commitment to all. And, there are so many ways we are improving lives beyond that, through our employment opportunities, friendly work environment and perks, last mile budget (which makes sure we are not a financial burden to our giving partners), local manufacturing, and so many other ways that you can only fully experience by working here.

Our leadership team is 95% full and stronger than any leadership team we have had in the past. And, our employees are committed to our mission and want to make the world a better place.

I have had ups and downs here, but it has and continues to be a wonderful ride that I am incredibly grateful for. I have never been more excited than I am right now for where TOMS is headed.

Cons

There have been a lot of big transitions in the company in the last 2 years with people leaving and new leaders being added. This tends to create a lot of uncertainty, fear, and concern with your career path. We have lost some great people, but we have also gained some great people. These things just take longer than you would hope for sometimes.

Advice to Management

Work together, stay humble, and continue to keep your eyes on our mission. Celebrate and recognize your team's successes. We are going to continue to create positive change for lives all over the world with your help.

Oct 3, 2016 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you for your detailed review!

"Lucky to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

This place is like no other. Every company says relationships matter, but at TOMS it IS what makes this place special. Everyone sincerely cares about each other and uplifts each other whether it's through birthday celebrations (which we have tons of), thank you notes, or recognition at a staff meetings to share a few.

It's so rewarding when you work at a place where everyone, I mean everyone, around you truly wants to make this world a better place. That means that we naturally have people with big hearts that work here. The people you meet here end up being life-long friends because you already have one of the most important things in common - values.

Cons

The fact that we're still small and still building processes makes it so that you feel you're NOT empowered to be creative, solution focused, or introduce new cool ideas for doing things. And even when you are empowered, you then don't have the autonomy to do so because everything has to signed-off on by the senior team...even for the smallest of things. While we think we are and want to be nimble, we're not because you don't have much autonomy to drive forward with things without the very top approving.

Advice to Management

Senior team - Stay accessible and approachable! You're already doing such a good job of it.

And continue to have fun with us by attending our fun events. It's so nice to see you guys playing ping pong with us and enjoying our happy hours.

Oct 3, 2016 – Manager, Culture and Experience

Great review! Thank you for posting.