TOMS Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
TOMS CEO Jim Alling
Jim Alling

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Giving trips to different parts of the world (in 21 reviews)

• TOMS is 100% giving One for One with all of our products which is our commitment to all (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership team that is lacking a strong vision from the very top of the house (in 8 reviews)

• I'm glad it is no longer discretionary and most of it is based on EBITDA (in 6 reviews)

1. "Lots of changes for no good"

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

Great values and culture. Love all the help they have provided as a company!

Cons

Managment has changed a lot and they keep breaking promises. Definitely disappointed to see a company crumble like that. No opportunity to grow and or get a rise.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees they are the ones doing all the work for the business. Stop being cheap too

"Don’t know where to begin"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

FREE SHOES
     Super fun environment to work in
    Their mission is amazing

Cons

Management sucks
    HQ & retail communication is terrible
    No room to grow within the company even though they promise you will someday be part of leadership team

Advice to Management

Be more open to promote employees you already have in store and already have the experience instead of hiring a whole new manager or key holder. Also instead of always giving negative feedback, acknowledge the times we’ve hit our store goals and stop nagging at every one of your employees it makes it so distasteful to work here

3. "Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super friendly envrionment . This Giving company attracts the best kind to work with. Bad leaders have gone, more inspiring ones have arrived and we are looking like a footwear company with a future. A year ago I would not have recommended joining the company but I do now.

Cons

We've recently being through some tough times seeing friends and co workers laid off.

Advice to Management

The regular updates work! I genuinely feel the improvement already.

"Ex Corporate Employee"

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

1. Barista downstairs in the mornings!
    2. Everyone is super nice
    3. The opportunity to work for a company that revolutionized the retail world... it's hard to find a brand now that doesn't have some form of a "give"
    4. Plenty of adorable dogs to pet in the middle of your stressful days

Cons

I personally had a great experience while at TOMS but mainly because I really loved my team. It was having to work with other departments that was the main problem. Lack of accountability runs rampant and it's incredibly difficult to do your job when other people expect you to do it for them. There is also a huge lack of processes which drives me insane... it still feels like a start-up in that sense. Prior to my leaving there were quite a few lay-offs. It was definitely necessary to eliminate some positions but it seems as though they got rid of some of the most dedicated and smartest people. Bad mistake. By the time I left, morale was at an all-time low. I have never felt so much palpable anxiety at any company I've ever been at - and I've been at some pretty down and out places before.

Advice to Management

Make sure you do whatever you can to retain your best and brightest. Stop pointing the finger at other parts of the organization and take accountability for your own department. The business needs a lot of work. I'm rooting for it!

5. "BAD"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at TOMS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were bad and sometimes not so good

Cons

Pay was ok but did lack benefits

"Coordinator"

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

Working with a purpose and working with great people who are passionate about their job

Cons

Dysfunctional business environment; very entrepreneurial but very poor at organized business initiatives

Advice to Management

Step up and be tough; every one here is being nice instead of doing the right thing

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission of the Company is strong and worthwhile

Cons

Very poor leadership starting with the CEO

"Need to address the leadership - the new team is concerning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Giving Trips, Friendly people and environment - the mission of the company!!

Cons

Our current leadership is lost, starting from the top. The CEO doesn't have the strategic leadership to ensure that this business survives. The new leadership, while they have footwear experience, they have brought a huge amount of arrogance and refuse to listen to anyone.

Advice to Management

Look at the leaders who have actually been making a difference and don't let any more leave!

9. "Sales Associate"

I worked at TOMS part-time

Pros

-Changing environment/product line
    -Company does GOOD
    -Company is transparent

Cons

-Changing environment (depending on your preference style)
    -Slightly disconnected from HQ
    -Company is still new and growing very fast (comes with growing pains, be flexible in this environment)

Advice to Management

Find ways to connect HQ with retail stores around US

TOMS Response

Aug 21, 2017 – VP Talent Management

Thanks for providing your feedback. Staying connected to our retail stores is a top priority and ongoing evolution for TOMS. We are actively seeking input and ideas from those in the field, and... More

"Was TOMS ever really what we thought it was?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There aren't many anymore. Giving trips were the best pro to working here but they've been "temporarily suspended." You get free shoes (down to 4 pairs from 8 per year). There is a 401k match. There are a handful of good people left here

Cons

Since Bain has come into the picture the majority of C level and VP executives are no longer at the company. In some cases these positions have already turned over twice in three years. There have been a lot of layoffs over the past few years. Employees have been let go no matter what they've done or how long they've been employed. Women have been let go immediately upon returning from maternity leave. Quality people have been let go and jobs have been outsourced to more affordable countries. These are normal occurrences in corporate America but TOMS was supposed to be better than this. Was TOMS ever really better than the rest of corporate America? Treating employees poorly is not something that started when Bain came into the picture. Many years ago, at the peak of TOMS success people were still making an unlivable wage in LA. When the founder was approached and asked to pay people a little more so his employees could afford to live he said if you don't want to work here for what we're paying you then you can go work somewhere else. There are plenty of other people that want to work here. All employees were treated as though working at TOMS was some sort of privilege. With all that has been happening, the authenticity of why the company was started has been put into question. Was TOMS really started to make a difference in children's lives or just a social platform that was used to make a lot of money?

The culture has suffered dramatically with all the changes that have taken place over the past few years. Co-workers used to be like a family and now everyone just seems so sad to be here all the time. For most of us, coming to the office every day was something we used to look forward to, now it's dreaded.

The brand name has been tarnished by selling so much product in stores like Ross. Once you saturate the market with $20 shoes people aren't going to pay $50 for them. There has been irreparable damage done to the brand. Consumers dont value it as highly and it will take a lot of work to turn it around. And it will take work, it's not going to happen just because it's TOMS.

Advice to Management

If you're thinking about working here don't. Until the company is in a good place it will continue to be in a constant state of turmoil. Start treating your employees like human beings rather than disposable objects that served a purpose for you.

TOMS Response

Sep 14, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I see that you have been with TOMS more than 5 years, so I also want to thank you for all you have done to support TOMS and our mission. I also want to... More