TOMS Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
TOMS CEO Jim Alling
Jim Alling

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Giving trips to different parts of the world (in 21 reviews)

• TOMS is 100% giving One for One with all of our products which is our commitment to all (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership team that is lacking a strong vision from the very top of the house (in 8 reviews)

• I'm glad it is no longer discretionary and most of it is based on EBITDA (in 6 reviews)

1. "Best Company Culture You'll Find"

Current Employee - E-commerce Coordinator
    Current Employee - E-commerce Coordinator

I have been working at TOMS (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at TOMS for almost 3 months now, and it has been an extremely positive experience. I'm told I came in after a time where morale was low and lay-offs unfortunately had to happen, so I was lucky not to have experienced that. My fellow employees that have been around for a long time say that the company is feeling the best it has in a while and everything is looking up. Free barista in the mornings, free work-out classes during the day, dogs all around the office. The best part though, is the team I work on. The entire team loves each other and is always willing to help one another. It's a very positive environment. I know that there are other teams that aren't as happy, so I feel very lucky to be a part of such an amazing team. The giving aspect is awesome. They're bringing back Giving Trips, and there are always opportunities to "give back" here, which is a great feeling. After a bit of a lull, I feel management is getting their "giving" vision back on track, and it will only get better. If the job you are seeking here is a part of the E-Commerce team, I HIGHLY recommend! Jim, the CEO, seems very involved and connected to his employees. He's always walking around and talking to everyone in the office, and is a great supporter of his employees' interests and goals. I haven't seen Blake (TOMS founder) much since I started working here, as he and his wife recently had a baby.

Cons

The only downside may be the pay. It isn't necessarily bad, but you're not going to make the big bucks at TOMS. I would say it's on the higher side for the fashion industry in LA. (of course, that industry isn't known for its big pay-off). Definitely not enough to be a deterrent from working here though!

2. "A pity, a sigh."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One for one, feel like we were doing great things.

Cons

Since 2016, some leaders are playing politic games, managing like a tyranny.

Advice to Management

Kick out the moles, keep the ones who is really enthusiasm and dedicated their love to TOMS, sad to see some people in Asia Operation has to go due to the politic reason.

3. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at TOMS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What can I say?
    Working at TOMS has changed my view of retail entirely. It is not a sharky environment filled with competitive people fighting for a paycheck, which is amazing. The absolute best part of the job is getting to say “your purchase is gonna give a pair of shoes to a child in need” and it never gets old. This company really knows how to treat employees. Still considered a startup so HQ is very involved in a lot, which is nice, our voices really feel heard. Free shoes and doing good, what more can you ask for?

Cons

•Sometimes hours are inconsistent, which sucks but that’s business
    •haven’t seen much room for advancement yet
    •very picky about filling management positions

Advice to Management

Development in the retail locations should be more of a focus

"Lots of changes for no good"

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

Great values and culture. Love all the help they have provided as a company!

Cons

Managment has changed a lot and they keep breaking promises. Definitely disappointed to see a company crumble like that. No opportunity to grow and or get a rise.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees they are the ones doing all the work for the business. Stop being cheap too

"The Boys Club"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people below the leadership level.

Cons

It is unfortunate what TOMS has become. It went from a young, inclusive and progressive company to one that is led by middle-aged, closed minded and out-of-touch men. In the last year all of the women at the VP and above level were either let go or quit. The environment now is unbearable, driven by men with very large egos.

Advice to Management

I think advice is too late, but if the company hopes to resurrect itself, then management needs to bring in a fresh, young, diverse group who actually understand the target customer. And, since the majority of the customers are female, then having females in management is probably a good idea.

"Not true to its mission anymore"

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little at this point. I do not recommend working for this company. Even the "one for one" giving is changing.

Cons

There was a time when this company was rife with talented and passionate people. It forgot its roots and what made it successful. Those people were either laid off, bullied, managed out or left on their own for better pastures.

The lay offs is an annual tradition. Some are necessary. Some that should have been let go are still there. They continue to cause the company lots of money with their bad decisions.

Leadership (directors and above) is out of touch with its own team. They favor "yes" people. People with differing opinion do not survive here. Hence leadership gets away with terrible ideas and projects.

Advice to Management

Blake, you built this company up with young people who are passionate to your mission and to the company. You need to weed out people who are self serving. Be present. Be active. Be intimately familiar with the operations. Fire bullies. It is amazing how these people thrive in your organization. Fire people who cause you to lose money. Know who your real talents are. Keep those people.

"Don’t know where to begin"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

FREE SHOES
     Super fun environment to work in
    Their mission is amazing

Cons

Management sucks
    HQ & retail communication is terrible
    No room to grow within the company even though they promise you will someday be part of leadership team

Advice to Management

Be more open to promote employees you already have in store and already have the experience instead of hiring a whole new manager or key holder. Also instead of always giving negative feedback, acknowledge the times we’ve hit our store goals and stop nagging at every one of your employees it makes it so distasteful to work here

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super friendly envrionment . This Giving company attracts the best kind to work with. Bad leaders have gone, more inspiring ones have arrived and we are looking like a footwear company with a future. A year ago I would not have recommended joining the company but I do now.

Cons

We've recently being through some tough times seeing friends and co workers laid off.

Advice to Management

The regular updates work! I genuinely feel the improvement already.

"Ex Corporate Employee"

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

1. Barista downstairs in the mornings!
    2. Everyone is super nice
    3. The opportunity to work for a company that revolutionized the retail world... it's hard to find a brand now that doesn't have some form of a "give"
    4. Plenty of adorable dogs to pet in the middle of your stressful days

Cons

I personally had a great experience while at TOMS but mainly because I really loved my team. It was having to work with other departments that was the main problem. Lack of accountability runs rampant and it's incredibly difficult to do your job when other people expect you to do it for them. There is also a huge lack of processes which drives me insane... it still feels like a start-up in that sense. Prior to my leaving there were quite a few lay-offs. It was definitely necessary to eliminate some positions but it seems as though they got rid of some of the most dedicated and smartest people. Bad mistake. By the time I left, morale was at an all-time low. I have never felt so much palpable anxiety at any company I've ever been at - and I've been at some pretty down and out places before.

Advice to Management

Make sure you do whatever you can to retain your best and brightest. Stop pointing the finger at other parts of the organization and take accountability for your own department. The business needs a lot of work. I'm rooting for it!

"BAD"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at TOMS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were bad and sometimes not so good

Cons

Pay was ok but did lack benefits