Talent Plus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Kimberly K. Rath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Talent Plus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, good benefits, generous owners, good people

Cons

Small company that has less options for vertical moves. Some negative people spreading incorrect rumors.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes on the long horizon, don't get bogged down on the daily sunrise and sunset.

"Snake Oil Sales-company"

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Talent Plus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who care about relationships. Associates care about clients and each other.

Cons

Board does not practice what they preach. Chairman of the Board, former CEO has multiple sexual-harassment charges/settlements. Sr. leadership actually doesn't care about people. Work hard, 24-7. Claim that their "tools" are highly predictive. Claim that they can lower "your" turnover. But T+ turnover is absurd. They do not practice what they preach. This company is the theory of talent. Not the science of talent.

Advice to Management

Fire the current "ops" team. Hire people with real HR experience and knowledge of the scientific method.

"All things considered, it's a very good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Associate in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Talent Plus full-time

Pros

+ Great coworkers who are enthusiastic and (mostly) hard-working
    + Unlimited vacation policy is fantastic
    + Extremely meaningful work with great clients who are driven by a philosophy of excellence
    + I have been able to shape my job so that I am able to do what I do best every day; however, this does not seem to be true for everyone (people simply need to be more proactive with their careers - if you kick butt at what you do, leadership will recognize this and make accommodations for you)
    + Amazing chef with great food options
    + They really take the time and effort to celebrate successes and help you work around your weaknesses

Cons

+ Some leadership decisions are highly questionable, but mostly they're good
    + A few employees seem very negative, though they have been leaving (good turnover)
    + Work ethic is not quite what it used to be, but given how crazy people's schedules used to be, I'm ok with this!

Advice to Management

Factor in experience a bit more into hiring and promotional decisions -- it's not all about talent. Also, some corporate goals seem very unrealistic; challenging goals are good, impossible goals are not! Up your compensation to be more competitive in the HR industry. I could literally go to almost any other consulting firm and make $10,000 to $20,000 more per year. I stay because I believe in what we do, love what we do, and have great friends at work, but this average pay does hurt our ability to recruit industry subject matter experts.

"It's all Hoopla"

Former Employee - Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Talent Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, employees do work very hard to service customers needs. Because Talent Plus is so small it can have an advantage over bigger competitors when it comes to servicing customers.

Cons

Talent Plus touts itself as a great place to work...really! The retention of employees is terrible, most employees that are their are trying to secretly leave. They put on a great show for guests but it is all fluff! They have a daily activity called formation and most people can't stand it because it is the same people talking every day.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring people who will challenge ownership to create positive change.

"Lala Land"

Current Employee - Consultant in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Talent Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee base is generally nice. The clients we get to work with are great. The food served is good and the building is kept up and it is nice. We work hard to have events that bring people together.

Cons

We need true I.O. psychologists in here. We tend to hire young people with PhD's (maybe one or two on staff) that likely require nominal salaries. We need true I.O. psychologists who understand this industry and could validate our assessments.

The leadership is weak. The people that stay or survive the longest will get promoted. If you are a "yes" person you can make it here.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to hire leaders who truly have done great things in their careers at other organizations. If we are ever going to grow we need to bring in fresh ideas.

"Isn't what it used to be.."

Former Employee - Consultant in Lincoln, NE

Pros

The coworkers were some of the best, a family. Many of the clients were wonderful and a great partnership. The flexible schedule is good for balance and families. People would pitch in and help for anything before the culture changed.

Cons

(As of my departure, things sound even worse today but not included in my comments)The leadership continues to not practice what they preach. The business decisions are real head scratchers. Large frivolous expenses while laying off associates. Business acumen of top leadership is lacking and they only put people in charge that won't go against the founders. It may be too late for new blood to right the ship.

"Not great"

Former Employee - Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Talent Plus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome! Clients are great! The kitchen/lunch/chef are fantasticm

Cons

CEO is clueless. Board of directors are lost. No real HR experience, just big picture so sometimes it's hard to help clients with real problems they face. A lot of turn-over

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach!

"Good in theory, not in practice"

I worked at Talent Plus full-time

Pros

They hire friendly employees and it makes the work fun. Also, there is a somewhat flexible work-life culture. An on-site cook prepares meals for breakfast and lunch.

Cons

They have very green people in high level positions and it is causing the company to struggle. Because of their lack of experience, the company often goes off in miscued directions. Furthermore, they are out of touch with what real HR employees experience on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

Be open to feedback. Your direction is not always the only way or correct. Hire leaders that have some real HR and consulting experience. Clients notice when someone talks a good talk but doesn't really have any experience to back it up.

"Great place to work, going through a transition"

I have been working at Talent Plus full-time

Pros

Relationships with and among associates are excellent. Associates know each other, their spouses, kids, parents, etc.
    Extreme flexibility around work-life balance. Almost too flexible (see under cons).
    A company with a true vision that associates believe in. We are helping people find jobs they love and that they are good at. We aren't selling products for a quick profit.

Cons

Too much concern for what others are doing. If everyone does a great job, the company will do great also. Focus on what you can control.
    Too much short-term thinking. Stop worrying about what is happening today or this month; greatness is built over time.
    Work-life balance flexibility is seeping into work ethic.

Advice to Management

Leading through change is difficult. Keep thinking long-term while managing short-term items as they arise. Don't let short-term issues get in the way of long-term success.
    Make the tough decisions; it's part of your job.
    Rely on and believe in each other.
    Culture comes from the top down. Be leaders and act as you want others to act.

"Associate"

Pros

Great building, nice co-workers, good parties, on-site chef, flexible hours.

Cons

There is no way for the amount of work you do that will ever be enough. If you have a down day, it is not acceptable to admit it. Everyone has to pretend to be "positive" all of the time. The sad thing is that a significant percentage of the associates are struggling. Flexible work hours means people are working around the clock to get an unreasonable amount of work done per associate per day. They are working themselves so hard to live up to being the "talented" workers they have been told that they are - it is is a way to control people and it is not sustainable over time. Also, no one knows when the next round of layoffs will be. So, the turnover rates are very high. The management says they believe everyone is talented and important but quickly cast people aside when the market fluctuates. The underlying morale is very low, people are smiling while they are suffering on the inside. The company does not have a clear vision for the future that gives anyone hope.

Advice to Management

Stop spending so much money on overhead that is showy and elitist and start appreciating the people who have been putting their heart and soul into their work. Figure out who you are behind the smoke and mirrors so that you can give your associates a clear direction for the future.