Tech Data Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky
Bob Dutkowsky

Pros
  • very great people working there (in 35 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, non-hostile environment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not everyone in management shares the company vision on work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Very low pay compared to other simular jobs that I have done (in 26 reviews)

1. "Best time of my life, most important time of my life"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I keep seeing reviews that management doesn't care at Tech Data. So I had to speak up. I received a phone call that my son had fallen off 2-story building with a seizure and Bayfront was transporting him via helicopter. Of course, I thought the worse and starting crying quite loudly. I frantically packed up to go, where I did not even know, but the CIO, John Tonnison, known as jt heard the commotion and stopped me from no doubt recklessly driving to find out if my son was dead or alive. Not only did he stop me, he drove me. He could have just dropped me off as I was misinformed of the hospital location and went from St. Pete to Largo and he had WAY MORE IMPORTANT items to take care of, but that is not how he saw it. He even came in as support in case the results were worse than I had heard.
    He had to call to postpone a meeting even with the CEO, Bob Dutkowsky, but you know; he felt what jt was doing was more important than their meeting as he too is all about the employees. This is a management team that REALLY cares!

Cons

This place has way too many pros to even consider a con.

Advice to Management

Keep going strong!!!!!

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional and excellent company to learn about IT solutions, Customer service, and Sales. A lot of trainers provided by them that will help you to be a better sales person. In overall a great company to work with.

Cons

As all Sales position, it is a little bit stressful at the end of the month when people are trying to get to their numbers to be able to reach bono.

"It's a paycheck..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- With any large company and enough time spent, you have the opportunity to develop lasting business ties and friendships with people of a similar mindset. It's hit or miss with who you'll be working for and with and there are some standout wonderful people there. I met some of my best friends there, but that is more related to physical location than working environment I would assume.
    - I thoroughly enjoyed my time with TD before the merger, but it's a different company with new a new leader, set of principles, and direction.

Cons

- Office politics run rampant.
    - Lack of standardized training in nearly every department.
    - Lack of direction and feedback will depend entirely on your manager as they operate semi-autonomous fiefdoms of desk clumps.
    - Despite local awards, there is an obvious lack of real inclusion. An overbearing conservative mindset only fosters this as they use anecdotal examples rather than real solid statistics to market this facet.
    - HR is there to look out for the company and often powerless or straight unwilling to make any improvements.
    - Open floor plans do not foster a positive environment especially when the wage gap between even team members is stifling. It's also terrible for concentration in a technical field or when working with large calculations.
    - Lower level people (nearly all the general employees) are often kept entirely in the dark but are expected to react swiftly and with little to no support.
    - Will treat your employment like a gift you cannot repay.
    - High turnover in sales, internal logistics, and at logistic centers (warehouses).
    - Willing to undergo massive remodeling and branding projects while enduring layoffs had an unsurprisingly negative effect on company morale.
    - There is a clear double-standard in terms of daily responsibilities and expectations for what is seen as the "inner-circle" of management and their confidants and the rest of the employees. (The 13 Club was a nickname for the entry level people that felt a clear divide between those making entry level pay for years and those shopping for new Mercedes at their desk loudly.) There's nothing quite like watching bonuses get literally handed out to your team members while you're struggling.
    - Compared to a lot of places around here the pay is standard, but for IT professionals who are often able to work remote at companies, the financial incentive is minimal.
    - Meetings to have meetings about meetings. It's 2017 and anything that can said in a meeting can be done on a WebEx or in email. There are much better ways to build trust between a team than a meets on weekly numbers.
    - Don't expect a cost of living or raise in general without a promotion.

Advice to Management

Stop keeping obvious toxic elements in the workplace because you've found a way to justify their behavior.

4. "if your a real go getter TD's the place for you"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Swedesboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Swedesboro, NJ

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment Good benefits, made lots of life long friends

Cons

Long hours, constant upper management turnover

Advice to Management

Take time to develop management instead of giving them the Axe

"Warehouse associate"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like overtime it is required not voluntary

Cons

They surprise you with your working hours on a daily basic

Advice to Management

Need more experience mangers that know how to talk to people respectfully

6. "Great Company to work for."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture and inclusion.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

Advice to Management

None

"Don't try to start a career here or you'll look back in 10 years and think, Crap."

Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people are nice and you get free food sometimes. Just don't eat too many donuts.

Cons

They lock you into sales for 18 months even if you have skills in other areas. Then they wonder why people leave. They pay extremely below national average. They promote people who are good ole boys. They love hiring young people with trust funds that can afford to work there. They just cut bonuses for people because they were doing well to ensure they do not make as much money, even though it was helping the company.

Advice to Management

If you see someone has potential, promote them, don't make them wait. If you do they will leave like I did.

8. "Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employees. Family environment

Cons

Pay is low. Benefits could be better

Advice to Management

Need better managers

"Former Anet employee now Tech Data"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Obetz, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Obetz, OH

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

okay place I guess. never hear anything from upstairs on what you're doing

Cons

no information given across the board, never find anything out until last minute. pay below average in the area, leads need let go or trained in properly in speaking to employees, was in complete dark of the buyout till last couple of months, lots of uncertainty in the building, low moral. if you don't want to advance this is the place

Advice to Management

talk to your employees , find out what is going on and DO SOMETHING about it. Don't just placate us

"Good for recent grads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks for people in sales (catered lunches, giveaways including vacations, tshirts), newly remodeled offices, cafeteria onsite, emphasis on work/life balance.

Cons

Departments work in silos and have little knowledge of what goes on in other departments. Everyone feels they have a say in a decision, causing simple requests to take much longer than needed. With the Avnet acquisition, lots of uncertainty. Lack of communication between departments. Major issues in the warehouses and nothing is being done about it.