Telmate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Richard Torgersrud

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free food a couple days a week : (in 9 reviews)

• In over 20 years of working in tech companies, this company has the best Work/Life balance I have ever experienced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • go on linkedin and take a look at some of the employees that have been there for a while - they don't have the most impressive backgrounds (in 3 reviews)

• junior members who have been at the company a while have so much power they are pushing out middle managers or those with more experience who are new (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Massive positive transformation"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As another reviewer noted I can only speak to my personal experience here at Telmate, but I must say first and foremost that it’s been extremely rewarding both personally and professionally.

I know in the past there have been shady management requests for good reviews, but I’d like to state up front that I was not forced, coerced, encouraged or even asked to write a review. I’m not in management and I was never part of the hated in-crowd from past reviews. Though I was rarely personally affected, I do not deny that Telmate was previously plagued by many of the negative issues mentioned in other reviews. However, Telmate has been in *major* transition over the last 12 months and I’ve seen so many improvements that I couldn’t have even hoped for 2 years ago. The engineering department especially has done a 180 thanks largely to a major overhaul in leadership.

When I started I was fortunate enough to be placed on a tight-knit, well-run team with an awesome manager and I think that made all the difference in my experience here in the early days. Now I would be happy to work on any engineering team - Telmate has a great bunch of smart, passionate and fun individuals. Not all our tech is sexy, but it is extremely diverse and offers many challenges and opportunities for learning, growth, and ownership.

I’ve also found Telmate to be extremely family friendly. Some people work earlier or later hours to fit their family schedule. No one bats an eye if you need to pick up a sick kid from daycare or attend your child’s band recital. I have never been asked or expected to work weekends or late hours, or to sacrifice in any way my personal or family life.

The worst I can say right now is that the current engineering management/leads are a little green and still working on how to become the perfectly-oiled machine that we’re all aiming for. The company recognizes this issue and is actively supporting these changes and the individuals working toward them.

I have worked at Telmate for almost three years and I am still excited about my projects, my colleagues, and my career here. I greatly value the friendships and working partnerships I’ve formed at Telmate and I hope they will continue well into the future!

* Talented and passionate individuals
      * Good camaraderie
      * Family friendly and flexible
      * 401K matching
      * Office location
      * Free food and drinks (and sometimes booze)

Cons

* Benefits are getting better but they're nothing to write home about
      * While newer management ramps up on how to mentor and coach you'll need to be more active in your own career development (though you should be active in that anyway...)

Advice to Management

Don't stop now! We've seen so many incredible changes in the last year but we're looking forward to even more; keep up the momentum!

Jun 20, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for taking the time to write this candid review. I know it takes valuable time to write such a detailed review. I also want to let you know how much I appreciate getting feedback that you... More

2. "Good and Bad - Love the People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, OR

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Love the people.

Cons

Overbearing top heavy management and non-motivating management practices affect the job every day. Yelling at people, demeaning them and exerting your power is not business savy.

Advice to Management

Open up to change. Treat people like humans instead of tools. Give them opportunities to grow and stop spoiling the soil.

"You can trust those reviews"

I worked at Telmate full-time

Pros

Nice views from the office.

Cons

I saw all those reviews, and thought that I could make a difference. Those negative reviews don't lie. The company is a mess.

Jun 20, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

I want to apologize if your experience working at Telmate was not positive. I notice that you are a former employee. There were certainly a number of areas that needed improvement here and we have... More

"Could it get any worse?"

I worked at Telmate full-time

Pros

The technology. The location of the office.

Cons

Crazy place. Nepotism. Favoritism. Back-stabbing. Lack of direction. Lack of consistency. Lack of caring. There are a few people that are in tight. The rest...watch your step and your back as you run out the door.

Advice to Management

Change everything. You need a culture re-work.

5. "My Experience in the Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I realize that some may think that a five-star overall rating is extreme. As indicated by my review title, I'm going to focus on my current personal experience in the company. From my perspective, I'm having a five-star experience.

I love the work I'm doing and the people I work with. Many co-workers have become good friends.

I've been able to work on some fairly advanced technology and have learned a lot. I've been able to create opportunities for myself and succeed on those projects.

The physical work environment, to me, is excellent, as many of the reviews of Telmate have commented.

My work/life balance is good. I work hard but have ample time for my private life.

The culture and values of the company are in transition. From my perspective, we're headed in the right direction. There's good camaraderie in the office and at off-site gatherings.

Cons

I don't think of this as a negative, although some might ... that is, at times, it's necessary to figure out our my way to grow and learn professionally. Telmate uses quite a large array of technologies, so there's a lot of opportunities to learn new things and advance my knowledge.

Advice to Management

Continue sharing information with everyone in the company when possible.

Mar 13, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for your feedback about your experience working at Telmate. We value all feedback, both positive and negative. I appreciate that you mention that this feedback is specific directly to... More

"I should have believed the reviews.."

I have been working at Telmate full-time

Pros

-I actually like what this company does. They're adding competition to a market that is too easy to exploit and offering great solutions to people that other companies might hesitate to market towards.
    -Onboarding was nice- swag pack, Telmate U course was helpful to understand the business and well done
    -Rank and file employees are nice
    -Company is solid and appears to be growing. No fear of layoffs or shutdown.
    -Paid vacation from christmas to new years
    -Paid healthcare

Cons

-The HR department is woefully understaffed and it shows. The HR dashboard websites are all out of date and nobody even got a schedule of company holidays for 2017. The VP of HR position is open and there is no leadership whatsoever to regulate company culture.
    -Absolutely toxic management. You will not believe the behavior of things you see here from higher ups. Yelling, screaming, the works. Extremely unprofessional.
    -Due to being associated with an undesirable industry, I believe they have "settled" on lower quality talent rather than pay a premium to attract great people to work with jails.
    -The CEO does not even work on site...terrible example! Totally out of touch with the home office. He doesn't even live in SF.
    -Only the SF office truly gets the advertised perks. Notice the lack of happy fun pics from the call center or LA office.
    -Not a great salary, no bonus program, no profit sharing and lots of cost cutting. The owners are multi millionaires but your travel and expense reports will be dirt cheap standard. I expect in time the free meals will disappear too, they have already been reduced in frequency.
    -Not really a tech company. Most of their business just comes from inmates placing calls.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and ask yourselves what truly motivates employees to do great work. Be willing to invest in your staff. Set a professional example... and quit being so cheap!

Jan 22, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Responding to a review such as this one is challenging. On the one hand, you felt strongly enough about the company to take the time to write this review and I appreciate that. It appears that your... More

"Don't regret a career decision by working at this company"

I have been working at Telmate full-time

Pros

The People other than top management,

Cons

Top management isn't concerned about the people. When they get top people, they place little value in them and if you get on the wrong side of one member of the management board, she will attempt to get your fired (this is backed by multiple examples) and unfortunately, has the full backing of the disengaged CEO so nothing is done about her toxic ways. The incentive for me to write this review is because it's a horrible environment full of tremendous turnover and I feel very sad for how people here are treated and don't want talented people to waste their their time figuring this out for themselves. Management will tell you that these reviews are written by a few disgruntled people who write repetitive reviews but this is not the case and demonstrates how they make excuses and don't actually listen or even worse, care.

Advice to Management

I don't have advice to management because they do not listen or place value in these reviews or their top people. The management board constantly fights among themselves and talks harshly about each other. It's a constant power struggle while they throw each other under the bus on a daily basis. Most talented people have already left and the irony is that the culture continues to get worse. Most of the people who have worked here long-term are friends of the CEO, and are in upper management roles not because of their skills, but because of their relationship with the CEO and have financial incentives to stay but are disgruntled and rude, and treat their employees and their colleagues like dirt. The advice is to candidates to not work for Telmate because the problems and issues you read in these reviews have continued for several years and have not gotten better because of a disengaged CEO who yells at his staff and constantly threatens to fire them from the comforts of his boat or mansion, doesn't listen to his people or appreciate their work and a management board that is not focused on the right things and when they get important advice multiple times over on improvements, they do not listen. This is not a rewarding place to work and talented people will be very unhappy here. This, I promise you.

"Jr Network Engineer"

Former Employee - Junior Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

It has snacks. There is free breakfast once a week. There are group events that people can also attend to.

Cons

I think there is a lack of communication amongst employees and upper management which can also cause some problems for people.

Advice to Management

Things to consider

"Great company with great opportunities and potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, awesome potential and some very brilliant and very talented colleagues. The company encourages learning, personal development, innovation and are ok with employees saying their mind.

Cons

There seems to be no diversification happening. All the eggs in one basket, I think is not a good idea. Employees are not part of the profit sharing even though it is in start up mode and no bonuses..:-((

Advice to Management

I think we could move into many other areas related to the prison system like: Food and clothing, bail, jobs etc. Please use technology to impact every aspect of a prisoners life instead of just concentrating on telecommunication.

Aug 24, 2016 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for taking the time to write about your positive experience at Telmate and also for providing some valuable feedback. A profit sharing program is something that is actively being... More

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people!
    - Interesting line of work, challenging to keep you motivated to learn more
    - Convenient and beautiful location
    - Excellent new leadership
    - Encouraging growth and supporting work environment

Cons

- Struggling to hire
    - Wish we had more perks, but it looks it's being worked on