Telmate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Torgersrud

Pros
  • Free food days and health care premium is covered by the company (in 8 reviews)

• In over 20 years of working in tech companies, this company has the best Work/Life balance I have ever experienced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • go on linkedin and take a look at some of the employees that have been there for a while - they don't have the most impressive backgrounds (in 3 reviews)

• junior members who have been here a long time and corrupt leadership have the most power (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I could be happy here a long time, with a couple of changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Improving culture that rewards talent
    Excellent new hires, especially those in the director/manager levels
    Flexible work schedule
    Informal office with more perks than my prior employers
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

No profit sharing or other type of employee part-ownership in the company
    A few old habits (and bad apples) remain

Advice to Management

Set up a stock option or profit sharing program with employees - make everyone invested in the success of the company.
    Keep working on improving the culture - get rid of the incompetent and the unhappy.

2. "My Experience in the Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I realize that some may think that a five-star overall rating is extreme. As indicated by my review title, I'm going to focus on my current personal experience in the company. From my perspective, I'm having a five-star experience.

I love the work I'm doing and the people I work with. Many co-workers have become good friends.

I've been able to work on some fairly advanced technology and have learned a lot. I've been able to create opportunities for myself and succeed on those projects.

The physical work environment, to me, is excellent, as many of the reviews of Telmate have commented.

My work/life balance is good. I work hard but have ample time for my private life.

The culture and values of the company are in transition. From my perspective, we're headed in the right direction. There's good camaraderie in the office and at off-site gatherings.

Cons

I don't think of this as a negative, although some might ... that is, at times, it's necessary to figure out our my way to grow and learn professionally. Telmate uses quite a large array of technologies, so there's a lot of opportunities to learn new things and advance my knowledge.

Advice to Management

Continue sharing information with everyone in the company when possible.

Mar 13, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for your feedback about your experience working at Telmate. We value all feedback, both positive and negative. I appreciate that you mention that this feedback is specific directly to ... More

"Could it get any worse?"

I worked at Telmate full-time

Pros

The technology. The location of the office.

Cons

Crazy place. Nepotism. Favoritism. Back-stabbing. Lack of direction. Lack of consistency. Lack of caring. There are a few people that are in tight. The rest...watch your step and your back as you run out the door.

Advice to Management

Change everything. You need a culture re-work.

"Don't regret a career decision by working at this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time

Pros

The People other than top management,

Cons

Top management isn't concerned about the people. When they get top people, they place little value in them and if you get on the wrong side of one member of the management board, she will attempt to get your fired (this is backed by multiple examples) and unfortunately, has the full backing of the disengaged CEO so nothing is done about her toxic ways. The incentive for me to write this review is because it's a horrible environment full of tremendous turnover and I feel very sad for how people here are treated and don't want talented people to waste their their time figuring this out for themselves. Management will tell you that these reviews are written by a few disgruntled people who write repetitive reviews but this is not the case and demonstrates how they make excuses and don't actually listen or even worse, care.

Advice to Management

I don't have advice to management because they do not listen or place value in these reviews or their top people. The management board constantly fights among themselves and talks harshly about each other. It's a constant power struggle while they throw each other under the bus on a daily basis. Most talented people have already left and the irony is that the culture continues to get worse. Most of the people who have worked here long-term are friends of the CEO, and are in upper management roles not because of their skills, but because of their relationship with the CEO and have financial incentives to stay but are disgruntled and rude, and treat their employees and their colleagues like dirt. The advice is to candidates to not work for Telmate because the problems and issues you read in these reviews have continued for several years and have not gotten better because of a disengaged CEO who yells at his staff and constantly threatens to fire them from the comforts of his boat or mansion, doesn't listen to his people or appreciate their work and a management board that is not focused on the right things and when they get important advice multiple times over on improvements, they do not listen. This is not a rewarding place to work and talented people will be very unhappy here. This, I promise you.

"Jr Network Engineer"

Former Employee - Junior Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

It has snacks. There is free breakfast once a week. There are group events that people can also attend to.

Cons

I think there is a lack of communication amongst employees and upper management which can also cause some problems for people.

Advice to Management

Things to consider

"Great company with great opportunities and potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, awesome potential and some very brilliant and very talented colleagues. The company encourages learning, personal development, innovation and are ok with employees saying their mind.

Cons

There seems to be no diversification happening. All the eggs in one basket, I think is not a good idea. Employees are not part of the profit sharing even though it is in start up mode and no bonuses..:-((

Advice to Management

I think we could move into many other areas related to the prison system like: Food and clothing, bail, jobs etc. Please use technology to impact every aspect of a prisoners life instead of just concentrating on telecommunication.

Aug 24, 2016 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for taking the time to write about your positive experience at Telmate and also for providing some valuable feedback. A profit sharing program is something that is actively being ... More

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people!
    - Interesting line of work, challenging to keep you motivated to learn more
    - Convenient and beautiful location
    - Excellent new leadership
    - Encouraging growth and supporting work environment

Cons

- Struggling to hire
    - Wish we had more perks, but it looks it's being worked on

"Run don't walk, or the bad karma will stick to you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Telmate (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of snacks and food

Cons

-no leadership
    -no accountability if you are an employee/ friend of the owners
    -no review consistency
    -the higher up, the less accountability
    -most sleazy business model in the SF bay area
    -Telmate has tried to fill glass door with ENTIRELY fake company reviews, this was a directive of someone new. What could be more sleazy--oh, the very business model the company is predicated upon. Charging the poorest Americans the highest allowable phone rates to speak to their relatives/loved ones who are incarcerated. Talk about bad karma...is this really what a moral employee wants to work on? Answer NO! Only immoral or oblivious employees stay here, and most of them know the owners.

Advice to Management

Sell the comm.s part of the business while you can.

"Improving place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great VP engineering. Who is new to the company. He is calm and intelligent and a great addition to the exec team. He is very keen on communication, empowering others.
    Company has a really interesting tech stack (hardware, software, apps, kiosks). Very few companies have such a large stack and working here does give you an ability to contribute.
    Company generally rewards individuals that contribute to solutions. If you want things handed to you on a silver platter then this place is not for you.
    Somewhat flexible work hours.
    Great location to work.
    I really really like the people I work with. They are smart but also have nice personalities.
    Good Product/Market Fit. They actually make money. A lot of other companies in the SF area have no concept how to make actual money.
    I actually like working here because I like to take initiative, and if you do that here you will like it here. If you do not like to solve problems then you will not like it here.

Just for the record, there has been no systematic forcing of people to write good reviews. I decided to write a review because I felt that a lot of the reviews on glass door are not true and toxic and wanted to write from my own experience vs. just people who go on glass door to bash their previous employer. Grow up everyone. Anonymous does not mean bash people because you can do it secretly. Be part of the solution not the problem. Another note. Unfortunately glassdoor is anonymous so you can say you are an employee but you may not even work here anymore.

Cons

Too much to do sometimes relative to the amount of resources. It's hard to hire in the bay area in general.
    The exec team in the past were heavily involved in the details and seemed to thrive on high speed which does not work well with a larger team that we have now. This is getting better.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire good people.

"Improving everyday"

Current Employee - Vice President Product Strategy in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Product Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people with similar goals
    Opportunities galore
    Great location, even if I have to commute there each week
    Fast moving pace
    Competitive market which pushes us to innovate
    Caring and passionate company who strives to be a responsible vendor in this space

Cons

Hiring, Still fulfilling the teams to achieve goals
    Industry is changing and it's a bit of a challenge to predict where it will go
    Fast paced environment which isn't forgiving.

Advice to Management

Continue down the path you're on! It's not easy making the transition however I believe in this team and their ability to get us to the end zone.

Jul 23, 2016 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about Telmate. The senior leadership appreciates the confidence you have in the new direction we are taking the company.