Telvent Reviews | Glassdoor

Ignacio González Domínguez

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allen, TX

I have been working at Telvent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of talent and industry knowledge. One of the last places not use the SCRUM methodology. It can be done.

Cons

Lots of working in "silos". One talented architect, one not so talented = taking 2 steps forwards and one step back.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give. This happens at all companies. They should give more preparation in college on how to deal with these real life office politics.

2. "old tech"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Omaha, NE

Pros

cruise control job. Lots of time to study for your next job.

Cons

dying tech stack. Teams not excited or motivated to achieve big things. lots of complacency.

Advice to Management

seems to be working for you. Honestly, it felt like a slow death to me, but if you think about it, it's making money and no one seems to care.

3. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Telvent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training and independence to work on projects.

Cons

Lack of support for remote offices.

"in 8 years, I made good friends and great money, doing challenging, interesting things."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Telvent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

in 8 years, I made good friends and great money, doing challenging, interesting things. there weren't a lot of crappy rules, ugly people, and no outright evil.

Cons

Although Fimi became part of a huge multinational, there wasn't any communication or movement between divisions at the technical worker level. My attempts to move on to greener pastures were not well received. The time I spent there hurt my career in some ways. I was stuck using obsolete languages that didn't help my resume. Once you're an expert, more years doing it really don't help. In hind site, I didn't spend ANY time at telvent advancing my career, other then being able to say that I worked there a long time and made them millions.

"Great job, great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CO

I worked at Telvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The facility is nice, they have invested in their employees and it feels like a group of friends working together. One of the first places I worked at that heavily used VMware and used it very well.

Cons

Use Lotus Notes and Blackberries (2010, maybe different now).

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working there and with most of the managers I encountered. Advise, keep investing in your talented crew, provide career paths.

7. "Good"

Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Telvent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, work from home opportunities

Cons

extensive travel, benefits werent too good

Advice to Management

none

"Started Out Great and Went Down Hill As Time Went On."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

- Good health benefits
    - Relaxed culture
    - Very interesting technology with which to work
    - That is about it.

Cons

- Poor Compensation compared to similar companies
    - Professional development and growth is seriously lacking
    - Terrible support systems
    - Employee Retention Issues

Advice to Management

Management really needs to get a grip on the fact that they are a global company and start thinking about the professional development and growth of their current staff and upgrading their support systems. Not everything can be done with newbies and freeware...

9. "Usual challenges facing a rapidly growing company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

Good work environment and innovative technologies

Cons

Company isn't investing in people, and growing the respective deployment teams as well as it should be.

"A Complete Mess."

Current Employee - Product Development Team in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Product Development Team in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

a) This is a real 40-hour a week job – few people work more than that.

b) Tremendous Job Security. Make it past your 6-month review and you’re basically tenured. Our office has never laid anyone off and doesn’t fire anyone – This makes it very easy to float by for years at a time if this is your thing.

c) If you play "the game” it’s easy to be liked by management. If you don't stir the pot by coming up with fun and creative ideas and simply do exactly what your told its easy to earn the respect of management – just don’t try to think outside the box.

d) Fort Collins -This is a great city with a limited number of tech companies. For people who chose to live in the “Choice City” and aren’t willing to commute an hour south to a plethora of tech jobs, Telvent is one of their few choices.

e) There are some really amazing people on this team. Unfortunately many of them have reached their breaking point and we’ve started losing some of them this year but a good number remain – mostly because of the lack of opportunities nearby.

Cons

a) Struggling Management. This management team rules by the "Manager Tools" philosophy and all interactions with your manager are very mechanical and scripted - there is literally no genuine conversation with anyone in a managerial position. This seems to be a side effect of the majority of the managers on the product team being promoted into their positions from development backgrounds – they are learning to manage by following a rigid methodology.

b) Strong sense of hierarchy. Speaking to the wrong people (e.g. - your manager’s manager) to get a question answered results in ridicule and “feedback” about your decision and performance. If you do decide to work here, it’s very important to understand that you are *never* to speak to anyone above your manager. One telling sign here is that even though we have a division president working in the Fort Collins office (an office of ~160 people) only about 10% of the office is able to speak with him. Furthermore, new hires won't know who he is until our annual planning meeting.

c) It’s very hard to get anything done without forming a committee and spending months debating your suggestion. When it comes to making a decision, you are faced with one of two options… either go for it and ask for permission later (usually doesn’t end well) or form a committee and take a few months to sort out something that should take an hour.

d) Management rules through intimidate and fear. You can pretty much count on any idea you have being immediately shot down unless you have the title to back it up (again, the hierarchy) - Sadly, this has caused most people on the team to come to conclusion that they are not good at what they do and to completely stop trying to be creative.

e) Pay is around 25% less than industry average. In addition, Telvent doesn’t provide raises higher than 2% despite a track record of 20% revenue growth year after year.

f) Almost zero innovation. The product really hasn't changed for the past 5 years - the company’s idea of innovating development is spending 12 months rewriting an existing tool to perform 5% faster.

g) Technology / IT is a major obstacle - Our IT department is outsourced to another division of Telvent that is very slow to adopt new technology. Their supported environment is Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.0, which hardly works for software development. Most people in this company are using systems that are several years old and in many cases, don't meet the minimum requirements for our applications.

Summary:
    ... So, should you work here? If your creative, passionate and innovative - absolutely not. This place will suck the life right out of you.

However, If you’re primary motivators are job security or you’re just having trouble finding another company hiring in the area, it may be a good temporary position while you hold out for something else – just don’t get trapped.

Advice to Management

Your playing a dangerous game of "how far can we push our employees" and your starting to lose.

Paying 25% below average, giving less than 2% raises, requiring people to apply for company credit cards on their own personal credit line, leaving people in charge who you know should not be and having everyone sign ridicules policies (Including one to not drink beer? really??) is resulting in an increasingly disgruntled staff.

You've had a few key exits the past year, let this be a warning sign. If you want to still be in the GIS business in 5 years, its time for a *major* shake up of leadership and outdated policies and practices.

11. "good but boring"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Rockville, MD

Pros

a calm work environment, 20 days vacation, Exciting professional challenges with different projects especialy when you work on the technology side.

Cons

low pay, annoying bureaucracy , left behind in technology, especially senior management seems do not understands technology.lots of distractions at cubicle workspace for engineering works.