KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 87 of over 98 reviews

4.2
TextNow CEO Derek Ting
Derek Ting
Pros
  • "One of the company values are "No brilliant Jerks", TextNow team members fully sticks to that(in 16 reviews)

• "friendly and collaborative work environment(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I have no complaints on my time at TextNow(in 7 reviews)

• "Scaling organization with some growing pains(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A company that lives up to its aspirational mission and values

Sep 21, 2021 - TPM
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is rare for a private-sector company to have a compelling organizational mission and a well-articulated organizational culture that reflects how much it cares about its employees. TextNow has both. And rarer still, they live up to values that are articulated in the Culture Manual, in everything that they do. As an organization, they also take Diversity and Inclusion seriously, another thing that is rare.

Cons

It would be ideal for all benefits to kick in on date of hire, without any lag time.

Recruitment Ops

We’re glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at TextNow, and we want to thank you for your contributions as we work to bring communication to everyone.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent opportunities for growth with awesome team

Jun 2, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working schedule Tons of support Excellent health care and benefits You get to positively impact hundreds of thousands of users regularly Fun challenges

Cons

Technically still a start-up, you will likely wear a lot of hats. Not sure I see it as too much of a con, seems to be a trend with most tech companies where engineers are expected to bring a solid breadth of skills. I've had my hands in development, dev-ops, data science, QA.

Recruitment Ops

We’re glad to hear that you've enjoyed your time at TextNow, and we want to thank you for your contributions as we work to bring communication to everyone.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Learning a lot, strong culture

Jun 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have learned so much in my time here; people are smart, understanding and generally easy to work with. Given the size, small (~160), but not too small, you can get exposure to many parts of the business (product, marketing, engineering, data science, etc.), even if you aren't an expert in one field you can still learn from those who are.

Cons

Overall, I'm pretty pleased, but there are a few cons. There has been a higher amount of turnover in the spring than there was in the winter, including at higher levels. All of it voluntary, and the company is hiring a ton, but with lots of new faces plus some key old faces leaving, it can feel a little bit topsy turvy sometimes. Also, this is also a pro, but the flexibility to allow everyone work from any location permanently can make it more challenging to make true connections that you'd get in person. One note on that: with ~60% of the company in Eastern Time, ~25-30% in Pacific Time, and ~10-15% spread between CT and MT, occasionally time zones can be a bit annoying, but people are always respectful & TextNow probably does better than most other firms would with it.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Such a great place to work with great people, product and culture!

Jul 19, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Joined TextNow earlier this year and the entire process from initial interview through to offer, acceptance and onboarding went extremely well. The people are great to work with and even though everyone is working remotely feel like a part of the team out of the gate. The onboarding process was really amazing and unique in my experience throughout my career. The company provides excellent benefits, support and excited about what we can continue to build together into the future.

Cons

Nothing negative at this time!

2 people found this review helpful

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growing, High Potential, Fast and Fun

Oct 19, 2020 - Senior Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Popular product, great culture, WFH flexibility. The app is one of the most popular communications apps on iOS and Android, and the clear leader in free phone apps. The team is experienced and has brought on several new leaders in the last year, across key functions. Our new leadership has helped us manage the COVID crisis, we have a clear plan and are growing and hiring. You may have heard or read criticism in the past, but first of all the company has hired very experienced new leaders. Secondly, this is a company that listens to its employees and works hard to build the culture that we are all proud of: very transparent, supportive, generous and diverse. If you want to work on a product that touches millions of people every day, helps them stay in touch with whoever is important for free, and is profitable and growing even during this COVID pandemic, while still has tons of room for more growth and innovation, you've come to the right place!

Cons

Fast moving, fast-changing and data-driven environment is not for all people. We are growing fast and in hiring mode, which means everyone is pitching in on the recruiting side.

Recruitment Ops

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at TextNow, and we want to thank you for your contributions as we work to bring communication to everyone.

6. 5.0

Excited to be part of TextNow Journey

Jun 10, 2021 - Senior QA Manager in Reading, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Company with true collaboration spirit. - One of the company values are "No brilliant Jerks", TextNow team members fully sticks to that. - Customer obsessed, TextNow really focuses on build few things but build them better. - Culturewise - company really cares about investing in people to build opportunities for growth.

Cons

- A little messy env with lot of new hires.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Wonderful Company Where Cooperation and Ethics Prevail

Mar 30, 2021 - Director Partnership Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong and repeated commitment to true cooperation so that you feel like you're working in a non-political environment where kindness prevails. Interesting work at the vortex of mobile, mission and video. Managers are strong leaders who ensure their teams are doing well as individuals and collectively. From start to finish - the interview process, seamless/caring onboarding and then onto the work itself it's quite unique environment. Doesn't feel like work when you're working with good people.

Cons

None come to mind at all.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission, strong new leadership, and talented co-workers

Oct 5, 2020 - Senior Android Developer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The product is used by 10's of millions of people every month. There are a lot of scale challenges to support billions of voice calls and text messages every month. - The company is profitable. TextNow only raise a seed round 8 years ago. TextNow has a strong business and has plans to grow 10x in the next 3 years. - TextNow moved to a "work best" policy, meaning you can work remotely forever! - The company is run very transparently. Company earnings and profit are shared every month. I feel very aligned with the company's goal and understand how I fit into the company's success. - Major changes to leadership have addressed many of the concerns that have been posted on Glassdoor. A new leader in product, engineering, and growth have changed the culture in a positive way. - Smart, capable, and enjoyable co-workers. TextNow attracts great people, many of whom I call my friends.

Cons

- We have trouble keeping up with the demands of the business. We cannot hire fast enough, which results in existing team getting stretched thing.

3 people found this review helpful

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Jun 3, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a great culture and WLB. Collaboration within the team and across the teams is really. Everyone is willing to help and make the product much more better for customers. Nice benefits and perks

Cons

Some departments are thin. Will be great for the company if they are levelled up.

10. 5.0

Love this place!

May 28, 2021 - Recruiter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great product, people, and love remote working!

Cons

none- our product is evolving which is great and we are adding additional team members

Viewing 1 - 10 of 87 Reviews

TextNow Reviews FAQs

79% of TextNow employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated TextNow 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at TextNow to be career development, benefits, culture and the cons to be management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with TextNow Job Seekers