Tilting Point Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Segalla

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Friendly Enviroment"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice company with lots of nice people. No overtime.

Cons

Not really, at least Not for now.

We appreciate your feedback! - Anna Maria Voitko, People Operations Associate

2. "Great mobile gaming opportunity in NYC"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Mobile gaming: everybody is passionate about it; they even hold company-wide 'Game of the Month' competition
    - Fast growing company
    - Lot of smart people
    - Data & results driven
    - Very nice office on Fifth Avenue, great for commute

Cons

- a lot (too many) of multiple projects which are difficult to address at the right level of support

Feb 15, 2019 – People Operations Associate

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It helps us continuously improve the experience of being part of our team. - Anna Maria Voitko, People Operations Associate

"Amazing Company with Talented Employees"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the gaming industry for many years, and with different studios, but I have yet to come across a team of such talented people who believe in what they do and have such passion that inspires creativity and big ideas.

The company pushes you hard and experts great things from everyone, but they do a lot to reward you with after work team gatherings, a lunch room with all types of snacks and drinks, unlimited time off and dinner provided to those that need to work late hours.

Tilting Point has a bright future with top talent, amazing projects, and leadership who strives for quality over quantity and who believes in letting the talent they hire to do the jobs they were hired to do. Everyone is very hands-on, we succeed together or fail together!

Cons

No training budget set up for employees, I understand why this is and that the company is currently working on fixing this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!!!

Feb 15, 2019 – People Operations Associate

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

- Anna Maria Voitko, People Operations Associate

"A Gaming Gem in NYC"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart, intelligent group - who all love games
    - Innovative data driven approach
    - Exciting time to be at the company, great momentum
    - One of the nicest offices I worked in, on 5th avenue next to Bryant Park

Cons

- Not for the faint of heart, the pace and growth is rapid
    - Emerging company with ups and downs

Advice to Management

Help junior staff understand the great opportunity

Feb 15, 2019 – People Operations Associate

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this feedback!

"Fantastic Coworkers, Greedy Upper Management."

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time

Pros

-The lower/mid-level people are some of the best co-workers I have ever had the pleasure of working with.
    -Fun opportunity to work on small to big-name mobile games.
    -An interesting business model with a diverse portfolio of games to work on.
    -Unlimited vacation policy (depending on your manager/director).
    -Flexible work schedule that helps out with sometimes long commutes in NYC.
    -Extremely talented people across multiple teams.
    -Diverse office with all different types of languages being spoken.
    -Cool Midtown location that's centrally located for an easy to commute.
    -Stocked kitchen with different types of snack and drinks.

Cons

-Extremely low compensation across most teams. It is hard enough to live in NYC, and its borderline impossible to do so at Tilting Point.
    -There is an extremely biased feel to hiring and most of the upper-level employees are friends or old co-workers that have been brought in.
    -Tilting Point would rather hire unqualified "upper-level" employees than promote within. This is mind-boggling as there are some brilliant people at this company.
    -Promotions and raise are rare and small when it comes to the salary increase.
    -HR is basically nonexistent. I do not feel comfortable bringing up my concerns as I do not believe HR will keep them confidential and upper management will be told.
    -Questionable hires over the past few months. There have been some high-level individuals hired that are clearly not qualified but will continue to be compensated at a high level.
    -I do not believe I have a clearly defined career path here will little to no ongoing training/learning.
    -Tilting Point has stopped giving out equity so there is little to no reason to stay in hopes of selling.
    -Money hungry upper management that is happy to give themselves raises, bonuses, equity while telling lower level employees there is no room from raises or salary increases.
    -Some questionable ethical choices from upper management.

Advice to Management

Management has absolutely no care that this company is being built on extremely smart, hardworking, and underpaid employees. Without these employees, this company would fall apart in a blink of an eye. Promote within and stop hiring "friends" or individuals that upper management has worked with, in the past. Restructure HR where individuals feel confident that their conversations are private and taken seriously. Pay on par with industry standards. Hold everyone accountable to the same standards regardless of titles. Tilting Point is sitting on a huge potential gold mine but high ups are to money blind to see the big picture of small level employees. I personally know of multiple key individuals who feel the same and will be leaving if change does not take place.

Jan 11, 2019 – Director of People Operations

Thank you for your review. All feedback is sincerely considered.

At Tilting Point, we rely on researched market data in combination with best practices to set compensation, including equity... More

6. "Smart and Interesting Group"

I worked at Tilting Point part-time

Pros

Talented team with kind and interesting people. Company culture and depth of opportunities are improving.

Cons

Compensation for junior roles is extremely low. There's too much of a focus on bureaucracy, office politics, and hierarchy for such a small company. I question some management decisions. Too great a distance between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation for junior roles so it is at least on par with other companies. Adequate compensation will lead to greater work ethic. Decrease distance between management and employees by offering more opportunities for all employees to weigh in on major decisions. Reduce bureaucracy and office politics so they don't stifle people's creativity.

"Best move of my career"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time

Pros

Being part of this team is an honor. The quality of the people not just for their work but as human beings is something you just can't find anywhere. As a professional opportunity, there are very few companies growing their value this quickly. The team is growing as well yet has kept a size that allows individual contributions to count.

There's so much on the pro side I can't list it all, but the culture is wonderful. Of course there are the usual benefits you're looking for are there, the leadership team is outstanding, and while all teams have their dysfunctions, communication is very open and transparent which minimizes team dynamics issues.

The most important thing for being part of Tilting Point is understanding the future that is being built, how your contribution connects to it, and then delivering. We all expect each other to deliver, and we help each other to do so.

Cons

The toughest thing is that we are still early in our evolution, in startup mode. As is common with this stage, that means being scrappy and doing more with less. That can be really tough for people coming from companies where things were more cush, or where perhaps they even got more compensation for doing less. With a promising rare company like Tilting Point, it's about having the chance to get in on an exceptional opportunity. That's how the greatest companies are built. For those who don't get fully onboard to that or who approach it as just another job it can be a real problem and recently we've had an increase in turnover because of it.

Advice to Management

Best advice to management is to stay positive and increase communication frequency about the future here and the opportunity of being part of this. The most disappointing thing is to see someone go because they didn't realize what a choice opportunity it is to be here.

"Wonderful culture, talented team, transparent management"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time

Pros

- The culture here is one of the best I've experienced!
    - Amazingly talented team, everyone here cares about what they do and work hard.
    - Upper management feels transparent in a way that you always have an understanding of where the company is going, what goals we're trying to achieve as a team; also honest about any of our shortcomings and what we need to work on as a company moving forward.
    - There's a sense that everyone is integral to the company and that your voice matters, not just a cog in the machine like many larger companies.

Cons

- No 401k
    - We're still a relatively new, so there are growing pains, thing's don't necessarily always go smoothly, there are many things that the company are still trying to figure out as a whole, especially as we grow more and more - but that's to be expected in a start up, and you see everyone working hard everyday to solve problems, figure things out, and make the company better!

Jul 23, 2018 – Director of People Operations

Update 2019 - We are happy to share that we now have a 401(k) program.

---
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback! We are looking forward to rolling out our 401(k) this quarter and... More

"Best of Breed"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a flat and effective organization of talented people. Every body has a role to play and culture of work and collaboration is amazing! Management is transparent and everyone knows the direction where the company is moving.

Cons

It's not fit for people who are lazy and with no ambition.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work everyone.

"Rapidly growing gaming company with a positive and talented roster"

I have been working at Tilting Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-One of the best gaming companies in NYC with great culture
    -Lately we've been on a hiring spree and the company has great momentum
    -People are very helpful and nice, HR does a great job hiring inspiring people

Cons

-Although the company works with a lot of new games, the company only publishes a few titles every year, which gives us a way smaller portfolio than other competitors
    -Feels less startup-y when it comes to company spend and hiring, however compensation is very low for recent grads and middle-level roles
    -Some managers come from banking and consulting backgrounds, and have a negative effect on their staff and general culture
    -no 401k
    -Company changes too fast, new business policies can affect many projects and hires in good and bad ways

Advice to Management

-Be more transparent, announce company policies more frequently (instead of waiting for Quarterly Business Reviews)
    -increase compensation for junior roles (NYC is expensive!)

Jun 17, 2018 – Director of People Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful and actionable feedback! Your comments are invaluable as we continue to improve the experience of being part of our team. - Juliette Dupré McGuire, Director of People... More