Trimble Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trimble President, CEO, and Director Steven W. Berglund
Steven W. Berglund

Pros
Cons
  • At times the work may get the better of you, but its in your hands to maintain the work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about employee's and has done several layoffs to meet 20% profit growth for the company's stock price (in 11 reviews)

1. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO

I worked at Trimble (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall I'd say Trimble is a great company to work for, but like anywhere, it's not perfect. There are lots of very smart people working there, and in general, I'd say it's a fairly well run company. In my opinion, the main pro's are:
    -The people were great. All of my coworkers were great people, and there is a ton of talent there. Everyone is outgoing and makes you feel welcome.
    -The CEO and many other executives seem like very genuine people. Trimble seems to have far better morals than many companies.
    -The technology there is cutting edge. It can be a steep learning curve, but the talent and technology are second to none.
    -The office was very new when I joined, but that may not be the case across the company.
    -Geographically and ethnically diverse. You get to travel to many places you'd otherwise never get to visit. You also get to work with people from a variety of countries and backgrounds which I found to be very rewarding.
    -The geospatial industry is great, so I enjoyed my time at Trimble.
    -There is a gym at the office which was convenient.
    -Salary and benefits were competitive, but not overly generous either.

Cons

Although I'd say there were more pros than cons, Trimble isn't perfect. My main complaints would be:
    -Layoffs seem to be very common. It seems like there were layoffs prior to every quarterly statement. I suppose this is one of the downsides of a publicly traded company, but over time it makes you uneasy every quarter.
    -Lots of politics. Each division within Trimble (there's a ton of divisions in the company) operates basically independently, so getting alignment amongst divisions is often very difficult and time consuming.
    -No decisions are made quickly. Product managers don't seem to have very much authority, so at times it can make you feel more like a messenger than a manager.
    -Trimble has traditionally been a market leader in some verticals, so you do get a sense of arrogance at times.
    -Way too many reorgs. In 3 years, I had 5 different managers. Very hard to form a relationship with a manager when you have a new one every few months.
    -Geography can be a problem. Our division was spread across the globe, so I only had access to my manager (and other teams i worked with) a couple hours a day.
    -Not a 9-5. If you expect to only work during business hours, Trimble is not the place for you.
    -No bonuses or other supplemental compensation. You do get profit sharing, but that only amounts to a couple hundred dollars a quarter. Not very generous given the time commitment you have to make.
    -Annual review structure needs to be reworked. There were so many reorganizations during my 3 years with the company I never actually had an official review. Hard to gauge your performance with no feedback.
    -The manager who hired me was a great mentor, but after that person was laid off, there was very little career advice.
    -There are no offices (regardless of position), so the office atmosphere can be very distracting.

Advice to Management

-Stop reorganizing the company every quarter.
    -Be better about mentorship and feedback. When you go 3 years without an annual review/feedback, thats a problem.
    -Make better decisions with hiring. You shouldn't have to reduce headcount every quarter. This is mostly like due to poor forecasting, but there were tons of talented people that were laid off due to cost cutting.
    -Give more decision making authority to managers.
    -Don't be so cautious. Fear of cannibalization drives more decisions than opportunity.
    -Provide bonuses other than just profit sharing. A couple hundred bucks a quarter isn't much incentive to go above and beyond.
    -Don't lost the "start-up" mentality. The casual and flexible atmosphere is definitely something Trimble is doing right. Don't ever change that.

2. "Business Analyst-supply Chain"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work culture, nice management

Cons

lacks transparency, slow processing management, lack of opportunities in sunnyvale

"Good company, but incompetent management"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, decent benefits, casual environment

Cons

Incompetent management to make a decision and stick to it caused huge churn and confusion all the time.

Advice to Management

Put some people in management that can actually make a decision.

"Hit (and and occasional miss)"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing technology. Great co-workers. Nice office (Westminster). Flexible hours (depending on manager). ESPP. 401(k). Very diverse.

Cons

Career path very hard to map out, even for managers. Not all business units are able to (or care) work together for common good, someone else always has to pay. Pay increases are slim and far between and never on pace with cost of living increases, promotions are almost non-existant unless you move groups/divisions. People are expendable, not hitting the numbers? Lay someone off.

Advice to Management

Integrate acquisitions fully and quickly, too much us vs them even years after acquisition. Create and publish career paths for every level of employee. Do not limit movement between divisions. Better training for managers, just because someone is a brilliant technologist does not make them a good leader. Train employees in how to do their job. One Trimble needs to stay and be promoted.

6. "Work Load and Ethics"

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can get your hands on many things

Cons

Management does not know what needs to be done. Bad and old well paid management folks don't want to change for the best for the company and employees, and making wrong decisions. They figure out a way to get transfered from one division to another without being cut. Disaster

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old bad mangers and find new ones who can take the company to the next level. The company functions like a start-up with a lot of issues.

7. "Good job"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer Intern in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer Intern in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Trimble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture amongst the employees

Cons

Don't want to mention my experience.

"Systems Network Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Network Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Network Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. ESPP with 15% stock discount of stock prices of 1st day and last day of 6 months period which is lower.

Cons

No room to grow. Hard to ask for the salary adjustment if you are under pay.Too many re-orgs within the departments, sometimes it makes you feel your job is not stable/secure.

9. "Trimble Inc"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse company with a worldwide presence.
    Family oriented, flexible, and friendly work environment.
    Interesting work using technology to improve efficiency in multiple markets.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth in some areas

10. "Pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Westminster, CO

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Managers are hit and miss. Interesting work in most cases. Nice facility. Very good benefits. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Stagnant wages (to be fair the poor world economy probably had something to do with it). Did not see employees be rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty. Immediate layoffs happen with no notice.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. They are your greatest asset. Concentrate on producing products that have great quality and value. Don't rush them to market. Provide better training (when necessary) to employees - don't do it on the cheap or commit enough time to it. Recognize employees that have shown outstanding performance with a little more than having them stand up at a meeting to be recognized.

"Lay-offs to raise stock values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Trimble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with
    Good atmosphere

Cons

-Management doesn't seem to care about employees. They lay people off to create a profit margin to get stock price to raise when their market starts to get slow.
    -Middle management has no power just a false sense of it
    -Lay-offs seem to be of the highest salaried rather than the lowest performers or "last in, first out".
    -No room to grow.