TutorABC Reviews

Updated Mar 23, 2021

3.3
Pros
  • "It offers flexibility to work from home(in 169 reviews)

• "They offer a flexible schedule with opportunities to expand in the company(in 85 reviews)

• Cons
  • "1000 a South African consultant would have to teach 352 hours in a month 14 hours a day where as an american consultant earning a base rate of(in 116 reviews)

• "Low pay, disrespectful parents and kids don’t always do the work(in 82 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great place

Jun 24, 2019 - Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Pay could be better, but fine for parttime work.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0

Low scheduling

Nov 2, 2020 - Account Manager in York, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours, part-time hours, very very very part time hours

Cons

very very low schedule, IT is very slow to respond during classes

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

I love them but hate them.

Jul 26, 2019 - ESL Teacher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great students and great pay. I did 15-20 classes a day a lot of times. I was able to leave the USA and move to Europe to study for my masters.

Cons

This is not a company you can depend on. They will drop you like a bad habit at any time given. I was recently let go due to my 6 absence within six months. However, I was absent from my last few classes due to the weather. You are allowed to cancel the class but they can also reject you which happened to me before. The day they fired me I had tech issues that I warned them about earlier. I missed one class and they suspended my account and but asked me to work the class they couldn't fill. I assumed they would be able to help me with my issues after that class since I was doing them more of the favor at that point. NO! They were very rude and dismissive. Now I see why they are always hiring. The turnover rate is massive and now everyone is a recruiter only to be replaced whenever someone feels like it.

11 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

I think its a Good company

Jul 16, 2019 - Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice,flexible,an experience,Good company,easy to go by

Cons

slow process,maybe low pay,but really no cons

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Really good for starting out.

May 16, 2016 - ESL Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is very easy to get into. If you are looking for work and are just a student or just looking to make some money this is pretty good. You work from home, don't have annoying co-workers or bosses, and you don't have anyone micromanaging you. The lessons are all made for you already so there's no extra work, you just need to review it. I really enjoyed working for this company and the Chinese are very polite and fun to speak with. This company is also really good if you are interested in teaching English overseas or if you don't have any experience with teaching yet and you want a head start and something to put on your resume. This company was a really good start for me.

Cons

The pay is the downside. It's pretty low, just a little more than minimum wage, however, because of working from home I couldn't complain too much. You also get bonuses depending on if the clients rate you and if the ratings are good. At first my average ratings were about a 9 then after about 6 months it was a pretty steady 9.5 so the pay wasn't too bad, and you get used to the work and learn how to teach in such a way to get higher ratings. Just remember to smile, really! You want the people to feel comfortable, and you should really try to show a genuine interest in them, the clients really appreciate this and can see if you are just trying to get the class over with. I think if love teaching and love people, this job shouldn't be too hard at all or stressful.

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Will suspend you for no reason

Jul 1, 2019 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Schedule your own work hours

Cons

Getting suspended constantly for no reason. They do not care about you at all. You are a fly on a wall to them.

8 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great working and learning experience!

Apr 16, 2018 - Online English Teacher in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working for TutorABC in August 2016 and it’s been a life changing experience for me! These are my honest opinion about how this prestigious company took care of me, not only as an employee but also as a valuable client: 1. Provides training and support system. 2. Offers room for growth. 3. The management has an open door policy. 4. The staff provides good customer service. 5. The platform is user-friendly. 6. Schedule is very flexible. 7. Hard work and outstanding performance are recognized and rewarded to motivate consultants. 8. Pays on time. I’ll surely recommend TutorABC to those who want to achieve personal and career growth. This is an ideal online English teaching company to work for when you want to make a good income from the comfort of your own home while spending more time with your family. TutorABC is where I want to teach more, learn more and show more!

Cons

I have been working for different multinational companies for the past years (mostly Business Process Outsourcing) and adopting to rapid changes in the company policy and structure is always a challenge. No company is perfect and TutorABC is no exception. However, the management gives us time to adopt to these changes and help us get back on track.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The pros outweigh the cons!

May 15, 2017 - Online English Teacher in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Flexible working hours 2. Variety of interesting students. 3. Lesson plan already prepared for you. 4. Advancement is offered to you as you progress. 5. Online consultant live training to help you with practical ways to improve. 6. The company is very professional. They don't like tardiness or a lackadaisical attitude from the consultants. It impels you to be a competent teacher.

Cons

1. If given a large class, may not get paid well because students don't grade you. Oddly, the larger the class the lower pay you might make. Sometimes students don't rate you . Thus, you don't receive a bonus. You make minimum wage. 2. Sometimes technical support takes a long time to assist with problems. 3. When you have other problems, it is difficult to get assistance. Very likely, to be passed on to another department. It is resolved eventually, but it takes time and patience.

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company making awesome changes and caring about employees

Nov 29, 2017 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Tutor ABC for over a year now as a Consultant, and this company has been wonderful, but more recently they have been making changes and have become even better. Where to even begin? Well, I love my students. They always have enthusiasm to learn English. I also love the flexibility of the job. I set my own hours so there is a lot of freedom. There are adults and juniors, and it is fun that I get to teach a mix of both. If I ever have any major issues, the new Issue Escalation team is always there to help me out. They really care about the consultants. There is great attention to detail and great communication, and they are always fast and kind. This is excellent service to consultants to feel cared for and respected. Issue Escalation will help with emergencies. This has been a great change recently that has made me feel at ease knowing I work for a great company that truly cares about the well-being of its consultants. It is quite refreshing considering many companies don't take such great measures to make sure their employees feel valued. I recommend this company to anyone who wants either full-time or part-time work!

Cons

There are not many cons to this gig. I wish more adults could schedule with a specific tutor and if a tutor is high in demand, they can make more or something.

3 people found this review helpful

TutorABC Response

Consultant Support Manager

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We very much appreciate your vote of confidence and recognition of the team's hard work. For tutors with very high performance ratings and popularity, our system's AI will definitely schedule more classes for them as a matter of priority. This is our way of ensuring that students will always receive superior teaching services. Together, let's shape tomorrow's education today!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great from home company to work for!

May 15, 2017 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for TutorABC for almost 2 years now, and have really enjoyed it. Not only are the schedules extremely flexible, but also, the management is very understanding when problems occur and you need to cancel or reschedule. If you're willing to work hard and put forth the effort, you will gain the ability to move up in the company and make decent cash! Also, they provide an excellent support staff of IT, Payroll, Management etc. And tons of great training resources! Also, I've seen many complaints about "unfair ratings" , but anytime a student has rated me unfairly low, I've notified management and they review the class. 100% of the time they have REMOVED the low rating after review. So, I'm not sure of what other people are having issues with

Cons

Now, not everything is golden here. The class arrangements can be quite strange, resulting in a class with 2 7yr old's and 1 18 yr old, or being placed in classes where the students have never even tried English and just want you to speak Chinese or whatever language they speak.

Be the first to find this review helpful