University Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2019

Found 146 reviews

3.5
George B Hernández Jr.
Pros
  • "Great benefits, Flexible staff, Great Opportunity(in 15 reviews)

• "Great team members, good benefits, wonderful managers, perfect place to start a career(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management does not share their plan or vision for the future(in 5 reviews)

• "Old system, long process and procedures to get tasks accomplished, not enough employee empowerment, and room for advancement seems slim(in 4 reviews)

1. "Love this job"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I have been working at University Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Health Benefits, Competitive pay (especially for experienced RN's), lots of room to move for Nurses wanting to advance to FNP or just advance within the system as an RN.

Cons

Level 1 Trauma Center. At capacity most of the time. Busy place to work.

University Health System2019-04-22
  2. "Great coworkers"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN

I worked at University Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers, benefits are amazing.

Cons

Lower pay, than other systems but benefits more than make up for the pay deficit

University Health System2019-04-21
  3. "Do not work here"

Current Employee - Epic Principal Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at University Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits package is only thing good about this place.

Cons

Lead Trainer (Boss) has favorites within the group and she also has spies. She only listens to them and does not care about your side of things. When you are a new employee training is null. You get no training to help you do your job. If you can not perform at 100% on your first day she will fire you. Promotions are only for their favorite. I felt overwhelmed and cried and every one just looked at me and kept walking.

Advice to Management

Training lead should not be in the position she is in.

University Health System2019-05-17
  4. "Microbiology Scientist"

Current Employee - Microbiology Scientist in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Cons

Low paying compared to other hospitals.

Advice to Management

Advocate for your employees for better pay.

University Health System2019-04-06
  5. "Lvn"

Current Employee - LVN in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at University Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pension, benefits, networking to other medical specialty jobs

Cons

Pay wasn't ideal but I learned a lot as entry level nurse.

University Health System2019-04-05
  6. "Favoritism obvious"

Former Employee - LVN

I worked at University Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at the RBG clinic in Ambulatory & Family Medicine. Benefits & as a first job experience, but that's about it.

Cons

No room for advancement, training period very short, FAVORITISM obvious. You can climb the ladder if you brown nose the right admin., coworkers rude & are not helpful. Employees are out to climb the ladder & will do anything to get there at your expense.

Advice to Management

Clean house and stop this practice of "who you know & not what you know".

University Health System2019-03-20
  7. "HR is 15 years behind"

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at University Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some of the kindest people you'll ever meet! - Lots of new buildings means beautiful up-to-date workspaces. - If you stay long enough, you'll be promoted eventually (regardless of your skill).

Cons

- System is very slow and full of red tape. - Computers and computer systems are all about 10 years out of date. - HR is painfully behind the curve and don't seem to understand most job descriptions or which skills are considered coveted in today's landscape. - Benefits (aside from health benefits) generally are not great, and wages across the board are too low unless you are Executive Director level. - Outdated system...

Advice to Management

$10 gift cards are not a viable employee recognition program. Try giving better raises and promotions for good work, and more good workers will come to you. Also, research current job landscape and salaries - you are underpaying pretty much everyone who isn't a physician.

University Health System2019-03-05
  8. "Fantastic place"

I have been working at University Health System full-time

Pros

I work with a fantastic group. Our turnaround time is impeccable. My Director is reasonable with PTO request. He is also very proactive by working on future expectations that he predicts will be asked of us in the near future.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that this is a big organization and sometimes communication can be an issue. This is something that they are working on by offering Town halls, providing email and paper newsletters, email communication, and huddles. It is a work in progress that I believe has improved during the time I have been there and will get even better.

University Health System2019-01-10
    • "No work life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at University Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health insurance and great place to learn. Pay was competitive.

Cons

No work life balance. I received phone calls from leadership at all hours of the day and on weekends. CEO is no longer there but he was very corrupt.

Advice to Management

Treat hard working employees with respect instead of piling more work on them.

University Health System2019-01-11

"Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Senior Phlebotomist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at University Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Customer service for benefits assistance is great and informative. You have to have a reference from your PCP but it's worth the hassle. Management worked with my inflexible schedule when I was a student and as soon as I graduated they hired me full time. PTO is great. Management has been wonderful at all locations I've worked for.

Cons

I've noticed a bit of favoritism at some locations but for the most part if you get the job done you're valuable and appreciated. The training process is too short and not enough staff are qualified to train properly. If done by the book, it is a very informative trusting process and all areas are covered with on the job training. At my location we are understaffed and no time for proper training for someone with none...

Advice to Management

Take necessary measures to be sure all clinics are fully staffed. Sign off on training book for ALL employees. Follow up with previous conversations of concerns and requested changes.

University Health System2018-12-10