Valant Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Supportive work environment"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

- The software is tackling an underserved market, so there is a lot of promise
    - Flat management structure, not a lot of bureaucracy
    - Supportive work environment. Leadership trusts employees to contribute and do their best
    - Flexible remote environment for engineering makes work-life balance much easier
    - None of that pushy "work hard play hard" culture. We're not Hooli transforming the world, we're just here to build a good product that helps people.
    - Engineering leadership is very open to new ideas and trying new technologies
    - Great office location with transit and tons of things to do nearby

Cons

- Need more comprehensive automated testing to avoid regressions
    - Experimenting with different technologies can lead to inconsistency between projects (not really a con, just a side-effect)
    - High-deductible health plan
    - No 401k-matching

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Prioritize taking the time to get it right

"Support Perspective on Valant"

Current Employee - Software Support in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Support in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great environment! The workplace in the support department is relaxed and overall everyone in the company is friendly and helpful. Documentation on how the software works is abundant and there is a fair amount of training material. We also get snacks and coffee so there is that.

Cons

There is no ladder to climb in the support department. So, while we are recognized with overall praise and occasional bonus' there are virtually no raises here. On the other hand you can always apply for another department where there is more opportunity like sales or implementation. Insurance benefits are alright but it is so expensive to add a family member that it makes more sense for them to have their own insurance plan.

Advice to Management

Recognizing the support department with regular raises would be nice as our revenue increases.

3. "Exciting Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

It is a very exciting time! People are busy and working hard, but still having fun.
    Leadership cares about their teams and are willing to take care of them.
    Smart, nice people, all around.
    Not a lot of attitude/hierarchy based on role or level in the company.

Cons

Need better intermingling between departments

"Lots to like"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I loved the vast majority of people I worked with at Valant. Nearly everyone on both the customer facing and internal teams were great. Company and mission are fascinating, and having a CEO with hands-on industry knowledge is big boon. The office is pretty centrally located and easy to get to, and there's lots of food and coffee options in the area. Compensation/benefits are reasonable and fair for a young, smaller company.

Cons

- Priorities of the company in pushing the new product appear to be strongly influenced by Board of Directors/investors seeking to recoup investments immediately rather than letting the product grow to where it needs to be. The sales apparatus has the same problems that sales has always had since time immemorial - overpromise clients to close deals, then immediately disappear from the clients' life, leaving support and engineering to clean up messes.
    - Some core functions of the product management team appear to have been hijacked by other teams/departments - we were told that certain customer facing personnel would be gathering and prioritizing features/functionality. Currently the product management team has been largely relegated to crunching highly technical documents, a task better suited for those with deep industry knowledge or someone in a traditional "technical/business analyst" role.
    - Current state of installation/implementation for new clients is terrifying. There is very little process, which results in multiple departments getting overly involved and inevitable turf wars. Company currently lacks both technical analysts and implementation consultants, two roles which are absolutely vital if they plan to be widely selling and installing the new product.
    - Company has hired some overseas staff and looks to add more - it's disheartening to see the company going overseas to underpay someone when there's so much engineering talent locally available in Seattle.

Advice to Management

- Make an honest assessment of where the product stands and how feasible the goals are regarding "X live clients by Y date" metrics.
    - Hire technical analysts and business/implementation consultants
    - Develop a comprehensive implementation plan for new clients (this would require hiring some of the above-mentioned resources)
    - Return product management team to its traditional functions. Right now what the product team is being asked to do is not what anyone in the industry would recognize as the accepted role of a product manager, and the company risks losing more product staff over what they're being asked to do.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, nice people. Product has good potential down the road if executed properly. Company seeks to innovate and isn't afraid to take on challenges.

Cons

Selling a product that didn't function well or even exist. By far the most disfunctional team I've ever worked in. My teammates were miserable and dept management was clueless on how to lead.

Advice to Management

Company culture matters, and so does leadership. Just because someone was good at their discipline doesn't mean they can lead a team. Bad leaders cause chaos, lack of focus and bad morale and disfunction.

"Leadership moving in the right direction"

I worked at Valant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone from top to bottom is clear about the agency mission and vision. Leadership works well together and support their teams.

Cons

Typical issues found in a start-up. Lower salaries and constant changes. At this stage of the company- employees must be comfortable with ambiguity and change.

Advice to Management

More transparent communication from leadership would be helpful.

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool environment
    Coworkers are nice and easy to get along with
    Good training - prepares you for what's ahead
    Learn a lot about the medical field, if that's what interests you

Cons

Work gets monotonous
    No vision for advancement within the company
    Sales focuses too much on meeting their quota with little consideration on the quality of accounts they bring on -- which end up dropping because they aren't a good fit for Valant's service.

Advice to Management

Provide career development opportunities for your employees to keep them engaged and motivated in the long run to help your company thrive rather than survive
    Give them a reason (other than $$$) to love the company

"A Disappointing Experience"

Former Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The Product

The electronic medical record (EMR) is a great piece of software. It does billing, appointments, keeps track of medical notes (focused on behavioral therapy). While complex, it's very useful and is a great tool.

* Location

Valant is located at the Westin, just across the street from the new Amazon building. It's two blocks from the Westlake transit center (probably a 5-7 minute walk (three crosswalks minimum)), with a McDonalds and Starbucks en route. There is also a Top Pots Donuts around the corner, and feels very central to Seattle.

* People

While not everyone is nice, there are some very good and kind people that work here. People will routinely bring in food and share with the company. Some of the people I interacted with were very helpful and were willing to lend a hand.

* Health Insurance

They provide Regence, which provides excellent medical benefits. Co-pays and deductibles are low, and they just added FSA debit cards.

Cons

* Environment

Very strict scheduling. I was told one thing regarding punctuality, but what was expected what quite another (I was told told that "being late due to your bus" would not be a big deal; however, I was reprimanded for being late until I learned the bus schedule).

During one-on-one meetings, I was told that I was I was making the team look bad, as well as the person that referred me. I was told that "my team was mad at me", fostering a hostile environment, making me extremely distrustful of my co-workers.

The decor is rather bland. Very minimalistic.

* Dress Code

Valant does not have an official dress code. Sales does work in front of the Support area, but it is mostly phone operated. Rarely do customers come into the office. I wore a sleeveless shirt, as was later told that is was not appropriate dress (i.e. We don't have a dress code, but...).

* Perks

Valant attempts to describe itself as a start-up. However, that comes with none of the "perks". They do have a kitchenette with dishes, two fridges, an ice maker, and two Kuerigs. There is no free food or drink, and morale events seem to be few and far between. Pay is okay, above average for a call center, but previous medical systems/billing is recommended.

* Career Advancement

They don't have any kind of clear career path. Some people do move around the company, but nothing that is spelled out for the employees.

Advice to Management

* Hire a full-time technical writer. Your knowledge base is in need of updating badly. It is not organized, and there is far too much tribal knowledge. There's a lot of good information in there, and your long-term support agents are sharp, but it needs to be connected together and updated.

* There are communication problems. Make expectations clear.

* Rethink your ticketing system. It encourages quantity over quality.

"Great momentum, awesome culture, really great people"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Valant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product sells itself, the CEO is a very strong leader, management team executes well together. The market is wrought with confusion and forcing functions as a product of government regulations driving customers into a buying decision. The specialization of the Valant product becomes a no brainer. Development leader is very strong.

Cons

Still a young company working out the kinks and placing bets on the future of the product.

Advice to Management

More communication on the vision, direction, and strategy of the company, as well as, why we are doing what we are doing.

"Fun environment where people that work hard get rewarded"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Valant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing Industry (medical software), opportunity for rapid advancement, dedicated employees and leadership team, fun environment, competitive on-target earnings for sales reps with generous commission structure. Company focus on revenue generation and customer success

Cons

wish there were more interdepartmental interaction

Advice to Management

I love working here! Continue to recognize people/teams that meet and exceed monthly, quarterly and annual goals